• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

Dinjooh

tumblr_inline_mg9hv1IPiE1qh8whu.gif

I don't believe Geoff

No reason not to believe him here. He doesn't really say anything.

Of course there's gonna be a surprise game announcement, i'm betting there will be several. Whether they will be big or significant is another matter.

I kinda feel like they blew their load at E3, and Gamescom will be more indie focused for them when it comes to new game reveals. Not that that's a bad thing at all, since they had a lot of huge announcements back at E3. Maybe 1 or 2 big announcements here, 2 Japanese centric announcements at TGS, but saving the big guns for next E3. That's usually where they go all out. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Quantum Break tomorrow, though.
Yeah, Microsoft definitely showed most of its cards already. Scalebound, Crackdown, Gears of War, and Phantom Dust were great announcements, but those are 2016 games that (at least the first two) were leaked ahead of time. We already know most of Microsoft's first-party lineup for the next two years.

The reason I'm so excited for Sony's conference is that we're completely in the dark about what >half of SCE is up to. The main players in this thread (GG, MM, Bend) are just the tip of the iceberg - there's still Santa Monica, Cambridge, the Japanese studios, and the usual second parties (Quantic Dream, Tarsier, Sanzaru, Housemarque).

Remember that PSP Renaissance where SOCOM, LBP, MotorStorm, Resistance etc. got announced? I hope that happens again with the Vita!
Don't get your hopes up. Sony's already stated that their Vita strategy moving forward in the West is all about indies and remote play.

Our only hope is Japan, where YOY sales are actually outpacing last year. TGS will be the Vita show.

Dinjooh

Another contender for a possible showing: Zindagi Games (Sports Champions, Medieval Moves)

Shuhei hinted at them working on a PS4 move title at E3 2013 and they've since updated their website with this image:

B2s4H5i.jpg

Proxy

Vita is done outside of Japan and I would rather them spend their resources on PS4 games. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with the Vita being a mobile indie machine.

Maybe Geoff does it to rile up NEOGAF? I recall everything he's hyped before wasn't really that much of a big deal.

I expect extended, additional info on games that are already known. If there are any new game announcements, we'll probably see a title card, or a 10 second "swoosh" of something but not much else.

Another contender for a possible showing: Zindagi Games (Sports Champions, Medieval Moves)

Shuhei hinted at them working on a PS4 move title at E3 2013 and they've since updated their website with this image:

B2s4H5i.jpg

Move?

Instantly dropped.

Edit: Gravity Rush 2 for PS4 on the show? Massive Chaos on Twitter as a result. Would like to see that.

ArjanN

Maybe Geoff does it to rile up NEOGAF? I recall everything he's hyped before wasn't really that much of a big deal.

Not really, it usually are big games, just that it tends to be very mainstream stuff like Call of Duty/ Assassins Creed etc. Also, half the time it's already leaked/rumored so the crowd on GAF who keep up with that stuff often already know, but it's generally still a big reveal for the general audience,

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there a spoiler-free thread for the Gamescom conferences? I can't seem to find one, they were super helpful during E3

HORRORSHØW

Is there a spoiler-free thread for the Gamescom conferences? I can't seem to find one, they were super helpful during E3

there was a spoiler-free thread created earlier but it got locked. one of the mods said to start the thread one hour before the presser. i'm pretty sure someone's going to remake it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm gonna bet it's an Xbox One game.

To be honest, this is the first time I'm more interested for the Microsoft Press Conference than Sony's. They are so far behind in sales at this time that it'll be interesting to see what they will be revealing to the public.

They are also considered to be behind when it comes to graphical quality as well so I want to see how they choose to address it.

Sure, but Sony have shown they are willing to spread announcements across multiple shows (E3/gamescom/TGS) - MS less so, preferring to focus on E3 (maybe wisely for their core US audience)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Grimløck;124956539 said:
there was a spoiler-free thread created earlier but it got locked. one of the mods said to start the thread one hour before the presser. i'm pretty sure someone's going to remake it.

Cheers, so presumably an hour before the MS one. It would have been nice to be able to bookmark it now, there is every chance that I will get called into meetings in the hour leading up to the first one then would be forced to see a torrent of threads with spoilers.
Pretty sure the E3 thread was up at least 24 hours before.

JoshHood

Cheers, so presumably an hour before the MS one. It would have been nice to be able to bookmark it now, there is every chance that I will get called into meetings in the hour leading up to the first one then would be forced to see a torrent of threads with spoilers.
Pretty sure the E3 thread was up at least 24 hours before.

Yeah that does seem a pretty daft plan. E3 one was definitely up the day before, yeah.

I'm gonna bet it's an Xbox One game.

To be honest, this is the first time I'm more interested for the Microsoft Press Conference than Sony's. They are so far behind in sales at this time that it'll be interesting to see what they will be revealing to the public.

They are also considered to be behind when it comes to graphical quality as well so I want to see how they choose to address it.

I got the impression Ms blow their load early at E3, what with needing to show cg trailers because I assume the game are still too early to show gameplay footage. if they show a surprise game announcement, it's probably gonna be another cg trailer, or third party game moneyhat.

VLiberty

Remember that PSP Renaissance where SOCOM, LBP, MotorStorm, Resistance etc. got announced? I hope that happens again with the Vita!

Why did you have to remind me of that ;_;

This won't happen. Ever again.

I still remember the fucking tour de force from february with a new game announced almost everyday, up until E3 with the MGS/GT/RE(lol) massive bombdropping. And then, some days after E3, GTA.

TomShoe

Banned
I got the impression Ms blow their load early at E3, what with needing to show cg trailers because I assume the game are still too early to show gameplay footage. if they show a surprise game announcement, it's probably gonna be another cg trailer, or third party game moneyhat.

I can't help get that feeling as well, if only because some of the games that Microsoft showed feel like late 2015-2016 releases, like Phantom Dust or Crackdown 3. I figure Gears of War could have a chance of making a surprise appearance, or Scalebound getting a playable demo though.

Didn't Yoshida say in an interview that he was trying to shorten the time between when a game was announced and when it released?

coughlanio

Hoping for more than one big AAA game to be announced.

I'm expecting Media Molecule, Guerrilla, Housemarque, The Chinese Room and SCE London to show stuff.

Guerrilla might have a big showing between their two studios, possibly the rumored RPG the Dutch team are working on, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a big PS4 game from Cambridge.

My predictions:

Media Molecule: Platformer that uses the PS Camera in some way.
Housemarque: Sci-Fi twin-stick shooter.
The Chinese Room: Everyone's Gone To The Rapture
SCE London: Singstar.
Guerrilla NL: Rumored RPG.
Guerrilla Cambridge: First Person Shooter, possibly Resistance.

Some are obvious/confirmed already, but I'd be happy with a spread like that. Wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them push out a Vita game, Housemarque or SCE London in particular.

Top Bottom