• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gets Its Game Back

pcostabel

Gold Member
Buisness Week

In our view, PSP will not cannibalize sales from the new PS2 because the former is entering the market for handheld game devices and the latter is leveraging the market of the old home-console model. Once PSP debuts in the U.S. -- which we expect sometime between January and March, 2005 -- we look for total shipments (including Japan) to reach between 5 million and 6 million units. By end of fiscal year 2006, we project shipments of 10 million units worldwide.

Since Sony will go head-to-head with Nintendo, which priced its new handheld gaming device at $136, we do not expect PSP to be priced at more than $200. Consequently, even if Sony sells PSP at the lower end of our projection, it could produce substantial incremental revenues in the second half of the fiscal year 2006.

To get a sense of how much Sony stands to gain from PSP, we estimate that revenues from PSone and PS2 for fiscal year 2004 were approximately $4 billion (Sony doesn't disclose the actual figure, but states that hardware accounts for 50% of total sales from its Games Division). Given the line of exciting software, PSP alone could generate almost half the revenue of PSone and PS2 by the end of fiscal year 2006. We expect margins for PSP to be between 6% and 8%, assuming that Sony has not mastered cost efficiency at that point in the PSP's life cycle

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wow that's amazingly optimistic! A bit too optimistic if you catch my drift. Hell they might be privy to information that no one else does but I doubt that Business Week would trump the other news sources.

Oh and the DS price is incorrect unless that's the pricepoint Nintendo is selling it to retailers.

Grubdog

Banned
Hahaha, sorry Sony, but the PSP is going to flop. But I guess if any company can sell something like PSP, Sony can.

In our view, PSP will not cannibalize sales from the new PS2 because the former is entering the market for handheld game devices and the latter is leveraging the market of the old home-console model.

I think PSP will not cannibalise sales of the new PS2 because it just doesn't have the PS2's appeal and the UMD (movie/music) intergration is dubious.

* nothing about battery life as I don't think consumers will care.

At $200. (which I doubt) Sold

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Poorly written article. Surely they don't expect 5-6 million units on day one. And why not quote the actual American price for the DS.

It does make you wonder...

Where did they come up with this number? I mean it's a pretty reputable source and AFAIK, not subject to passing off speculation as fact.

Either somebody really needs to smack these guys for doing ABSOLUTELY NO research, or they've stated something they heard under an NDA and didn't realize that the price was part of the NDA. Which for someone not in the industry and aware of how big an issue the price is, is somewhat possible.

jarrod

Banned
Like I said in the other thread...

-SCEI's 3 million projection was worldwide, not domestic. And like Nintendo's 4 million DS figure, it reflects supply, not demand (which the S&P evaluation seems to ignore).

-At under $200, SCEI will have reveresed on it's 'for profit' model Deering suggested before, to an extreme degree. Current estimates I've seen place PSP around $300-350 to manufacture.

-Yay, S&P. My boyfriend works there. :)

It looks like S&P is suggesting that Sony will make 6-8% margins selling the PSP at $200. Later on they say that PSP has "relatively high margin." There's NO WAY Sony can sell the PSP at $200 and be profitable. There's no way they could sell it at $300 and be profitable. I dunno how Business Week thinks Sony's gonna make money on PSP hardware, but it's sure not gonna be at anything less than $350-400. That thing is a major money loser in its current form.

That said, I seriously doubt Sony's gonna revise their shipments up from the 3 million. Sony's lowballing that number not because they lack faith in the console, but for reasons of manufacturing diffculty/cost. PSP's launch is going to be PS2 all over again - eventual dominance, yes, but initial months of shortages, hardware difficulties, and Sony hemorrhaging money for every unit sold.

JackFrost2012 said:
It looks like S&P is suggesting that Sony will make 6-8% margins selling the PSP at $200. Later on they say that PSP has "relatively high margin." There's NO WAY Sony can sell the PSP at $200 and be profitable. There's no way they could sell it at $300 and be profitable. I dunno how Business Week thinks Sony's gonna make money on PSP hardware, but it's sure not gonna be at anything less than $350-400. That thing is a major money loser in its current form.

That said, I seriously doubt Sony's gonna revise their shipments up from the 3 million. Sony's lowballing that number not because they lack faith in the console, but for reasons of manufacturing diffculty/cost. PSP's launch is going to be PS2 all over again - eventual dominance, yes, but initial months of shortages, hardware difficulties, and Sony hemorrhaging money for every unit sold.

Has there been any breakdown of unit costs? AFAIK, it's all blowhards telling us the unit is so damn expensive, but there's absolutely no substance to it.

The big costs to me look like the screen and the drive. I doubt that the processors are all that expensive and UMD was designed to be a low cost drive.

Could someone point me to a legitamate cost estimate w/breakdown?

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Has there been any breakdown of unit costs? AFAIK, it's all blowhards telling us the unit is so damn expensive, but there's absolutely no substance to it.
While that true... I don't really see any thing in this article that presents anything different besides the opposing viewpoint. At this point it's simply many blowhards vs S&P's lone blowhard.

Pimpwerx

The point is there's been NOTHING of use about the battery or cost. The two areas everyone likes to argue over has no official info, so it's best to just wait and see. If the battery life sucks like 90 minutes, then it will fail. If it's too expensive, it will fail. Hopefully S&P is right, and it will be under $200. If so, I'm sold. I don't want one that bad, but I'd get one at that price or if it drops near $150. It's got a kickass screen, and it's got GT4. I can't go wrong with that. $200 would be a dagger though. I'd like to see the chaos that kind of price would cause. The PS2's launch was a madhouse. This thing would be off the charts. PEACE.

Brannon

For $200 I can let all of you test the first run products for me for a few months. If it weren't for Sony's console track record I'd be all up in that swirl the first day, though.

Ristamar

Since Sony will go head-to-head with Nintendo, which priced its new handheld gaming device at $136, we do not expect PSP to be priced at more than $200...

I think they forgot a sentence in that article...

The PSP battery (sold separately) will also be priced at under $100.

...Oh, there it is.

Brannon

The Faceless Master said:
plus sony videogame hardware tends to break alot
Which is exactly why you are all my guinea pigs. DO MY BIDDING; TEST IT FOR ME WITH YUOR MONEYS!!!111oneoneone.!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just look at the prices of current PDAs. Stuff that is a lot less powerful than PSP retails for a lot more than 200-300 (and by Lot, I mean Double or so). I'd assume the margins on PDAs are much higher than they would be for a game machine, but how high really can they be?

On the other hand I have yet to see even the proof that Sony was bleeding money even per PS2 unit sold. On the other hand I remember there being some financial report from them saying that they actually started making money (recouping investments) on the PS2, from the day one.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
On the otehr hand I have yet to see even the proof that Sony was bleeding money even per PS2 unit sold. On the other hand I remember there being some financial report from them saying that they actually started making money (recouping investments) on the PS2, from the day one.
Are you talking just SCEI or Sony as a whole? Weren't a significant amount of startup costs (R&D, manufacturing, etc) offloaded to Sony Electronics?

Marconelly said:
Just look at the prices of current PDAs. Stuff that is a lot less powerful than PSP retails for a lot more than 200-300 (and by Lot, I mean Double or so). I'd assume the margins on PDAs are much higher than they would be for a game machine, but how high really can they be?

On the otehr hand I have yet to see even the proof that Sony was bleeding money even per PS2 unit sold. On the other hand I remember there being some financial report from them saying that they actually started making money (recouping investments) on the PS2, from the day one.

You've also got to look at volume. The PSP will blow out millions of units whereas PDA's get nowhere near that level of volume. I mean nobody's saying Nintendo is going to go broke selling the DS at $149.99.

The DS has 2 screens, with one being touch, wireless networking, battery, processor, etc.

So the PSP has 1 big screen, which would cost how much relative to two screens with one being touch? Add in the UMD drive, which was designed to be low cost. It's got a better processor setup, but relatively speaking they aren't that expensive. Let's say the PSP cost twice was the DS cost to make, which I really doubt is true. That's much, much cheaper than those saying the damn thing costs $300-$400.

Alcibiades

jarrod said:
Are you talking just SCEI or Sony as a whole? Weren't a significant amount of startup costs (R&D, manufacturing, etc) offloaded to Sony Electronics?
yeah, and word from Japan is Sony still hasn't broken even on that. Though it looks like they will after year 7 of PS2, with the subsequent 3 years (completing the 10-year lifecycle they keep talking about) being the profit-making years...

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
You've also got to look at volume. The PSP will blow out millions of units whereas PDA's get nowhere near that level of volume. I mean nobody's saying Nintendo is going to go broke selling the DS at $149.99.

The DS has 2 screens, with one being touch, wireless networking, battery, processor, etc.

So the PSP has 1 big screen, which would cost how much relative to two screens with one being touch? Add in the UMD drive, which was designed to be low cost. It's got a better processor setup, but relatively speaking they aren't that expensive. Let's say the PSP cost twice was the DS cost to make, which I really doubt is true. That's much, much cheaper than those saying the damn thing costs $300-$400.
Well, it terms of chipsets, DS uses off the shelf old ARM series chips (one being an overclocked GBA chip) while PSP is cutting edge custom tech (meaning much higher upfront costs) not to mention the RAM disparity (4.5MB Vs 32MB). PSP's screen is extremely high res also, it's undoubtedly much more expensive than both DS screens... any optical drive (low cost design or not) will cost immeasurably more than a cart interface... I actually wouldn't doubt PSP costing twice as much (or more) than DS honestly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jarrod, I'm not talking about recouping all investments on day one, just starting to recoup them from day one. People seem to assume that Sony was selling PS2s at loss initially, which suggests that the unit cost was more than $300 to manufacture. I don't know if that was true or not, but as I've said, I remember some financial report saying otherwise.

PSP's screen is extremely high res also, it's undoubtedly much more expensive than both DS screens...
It's not extremely high res, but it is extremely new TFT technology (basically, the best there is right now). I wouldn't doubt it's expensive.

Deg

Banned
I doubt it. Tapwave Zodiac has a better screen than PSP which also happens to be a touch screen at the same time. PSP price should fall around $180-200. Its not that expensive as we were led to believe.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Jarrod, I'm not talking about recouping all investments on day one, just starting to recoup them from day one. People seem to assume that Sony was selling PS2s at loss initially, which suggests that the unit cost was more than $300 to manufacture. I don't know if that was true or not, but as I've said, I remember some financial report saying otherwise
Understood... though I remember hearing the JP PS2 was a big loss taker upfront, I'm not sure about the western launches. I'm inclined to think America probably was a loss taker initially (especially with those added shipping costs that were heavily publicised) and Europe was a profit taker most likely.

Deg said:
I doubt it. Tapwave Zodiac has a better screen than PSP which also happens to be a touch screen at the same time. PSP price should fall around $180-200. Its not that expensive as we were led to believe.
Define better for me please?

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
It's not extremely high res, but it is extremely new TFT technology (basically, the best there is right now). I wouldn't doubt it's expensive.
Er yes... that's what I meant. :p

jarrod said:
Understood... though I remember hearing the JP PS2 was a big loss taker upfront, I'm not sure about the western launches. I'm inclined to think America was a loss taker initially (especially with those added shipping costs that were heavily publicised) and Europe was a profit taker probably.

Don't buy into DCharlie's hype :D

SCEI is tracked seperately and has only had one losing quarter since 1999. The PS2 certainly was sold at a loss initially, however, it's long since recovered it's investment. Their probably are still some outstanding depreciation costs as they were probably spread out over 10 years, such that the "cost" of a PS2 still includes the factory building, R&D,etc as it should.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Don't buy into DCharlie's hype :D

SCEI is tracked seperately and has only had one losing quarter since 1999. The PS2 certainly was sold at a loss initially, however, it's long since recovered it's investment. Their probably are still some outstanding depreciation costs as they were probably spread out over 10 years, such that the "cost" of a PS2 still includes the factory building, R&D,etc as it should.
But weren't some development/manufacturing costs moved to Sony Electronics? I thought that was part of the justification for using the EE+GS in other consumer products (which has only yielded PSX so far)? SCEI paid for all the fabs themselves?

Brofist

efralope said:
yeah, and word from Japan is Sony still hasn't broken even on that. Though it looks like they will after year 7 of PS2, with the subsequent 3 years (completing the 10-year lifecycle they keep talking about) being the profit-making years...

wow that's a pretty good industry connection you have there! I live in Japan, so anything I say can be considered "word from Japan" too I suppose :lol

Alcibiades

kpop100 said:
wow that's a pretty good industry connection you have there! I live in Japan, so anything I say can be considered "word from Japan" too I suppose :lol
uh, actually, I think I read that here the forum from one of the J'ers...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Higher res screen and better picture due to size. Touch screen.
I'll just re-post my reply from the stickied thread:

You can have 15" 1024x768 16.77M TFT screens that looks like total *shit*. The resolution and the screen size are only the beginning of what describes the good LCD. The contrast (which is 200cd/m on the PSP screen, which is unheard of in handheld devices) and the retention time are some of the more important things. Fafalada is one of the people who actually saw the device in person, so take his word, if you don't trust me.

Faf's comment was:
The only screens I've seen that come close to PSPs so far are on some of the very recent laptops that come with sort of 'glass coating'.

efralope said:
uh, actually, I think I read that here the forum from one of the J'ers...

Again, and this is getting ridiculous. There is absolutely no evidence to support the statements that Sony is losing money on the PS2. They've made tons of money since it's release and all the innuendo in the world doesn't change that. They can say Sony transferred cost, although they don't know how much, for what, or when. So what does that show?

Facts:
------------------------
1) The PS2 is the most successful console of all time (at comparable timeframes)
2) The PS2 has held higher price points longer than any console ever
3) The PS2 has the highest tie ratio of any console ever.

Now, given those three facts, are we supposed to believe that Sony came into the PS2 business and planned to lose money for seven years, despite the fact they had no competition (Dreamcast dying, Nintendo staying the younger demographic, Microsoft not even being a player), and the fact that they've succeeded beyond any reasonable expectations at all from the 3 points above.

If you're going to regurgitate weak arguments that have absolutely no proof, please try a little harder to bring something new and factual to the table.

Alcibiades

ok, what you said was true, the PS2 has been an astounding success. That doesn't mean it's been profitable up to this point though. Look at XBox, almost 20 million consoles for a newcomer and a loss of several billion dollars so far. Everytime someone buys an XBox, it's more losses for Microsoft.

I'm not saying that it's 100% true Sony hasn't made a profit yet, but didn't their Playstation division just post a loss recently. I'd say that's more than your indicated "no evidence".

Top Bottom