• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is going to go full Blockchain in a few years

Fahdis

Well, after Sony bought an exchange named Whalefin and renamed it to S.Blox recently in the year. They also started to work on a Ethereum based Layer 2 blockchain named Soneium Minato. Testnet went live on August 23rd. Here's some news:

Sony Rolls Out Testnet for It’s Soneium Blockchain

“As a first step towards realizing this vision, we have released Soneium Minato, a testnet that serves as a public blockchain accessible to all developers and creators interested in building applications,” said Sony.

Alongside the testnet, Sony has also disclosed the details of its incubation program called Soneium Spark Incubation.

Soneium Minato uses test crypto assets, allowing risk-free exploration of Web3 applications. This aligns with Sony Block Solutions Labs' vision of realizing the open internet that transcends boundaries.
— Soneium 💿 (@soneium) August 28, 2024

The Soneium Spark Incubation program is launched in collaboration with Sony, Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Global Education, Sony Innovation Fund, and Inzone.

----

Here's the press release:

And here is all you need to see:

"End users will be able to access Soneium through applications that are compatible with Soneium's network, and will be able to interact with Web3 games and NFT marketplaces provided by each app, as well as entertainment-related services. By utilizing blockchain technology, activity history within apps is managed in a more decentralized and autonomous manner than on the traditional Internet. Each app can be used by accessing it from your digital wallet."

---

This isn't necessarily bad news, however, you can probably expect PlayStation Stars to be a sort of proto experiment to digital collectibles and NFT's in a way. You won't even know how its being powered in the background. I am expecting PlayStation Home to make a return.

Just thought, I'd update you folks since Web3 is the future and all your fundamental gaming history at some point will be on the blockchain, including your purchases, wallet and other digital services. Sony is investing heavy in it for a reason.

Preseznik

Neo Member
Just thought, I'd update you folks since Web3 is the future and all your fundamental gaming history at some point will be on the blockchain, including your purchases, wallet and other digital services. Sony is investing heavy in it for a reason.
Just want to point out this is absolutely not true. Obligatory "IMO", though honestly, not really.

edit: can't tell if you're being serious.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Fahdis

Just want to point out this is absolutely not true. Obligatory "IMO", though honestly, not really.

You can take the news however you want. I work in the RWA sector within Fintech, and I can tell you that tokenization of assets is running at a profound pace but I am in a very niche market right now. Even with the evidence you have stacked up, you saying "its not true" is not factual at this point. But you can deny it all you like.

Duchess

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'll do so again.

A long way back, I read about how Sony had plans to use blockchains for your digital purchases. This would mean you literally now owned that copy of the game, and could therefore sell it once you were done.

Imagine being able to sell the copy to another player (with Sony and the publisher taking a cut) or selling it directly back to Sony. That would be great.

Sadly, we get shit like NFTs instead.

Hudo

Not sure I understand blockchain, it’s just a backend security system right?
It's more like a decentralized database with a correction/verification mechanism run via majority vote, essentially.
Much lile NoSQL, it's been overhyped to hell without any real benefit (except for some niches).

I think most people heard of blockchain shit in relation to stupid crypto-mining/crypto bro bullshit.

I think almost everyone talking about it doesn't understand it as well. Years are going by, still no useful application for it has been demonstrated.
Probably the same sht like most of the complicated banking stuff. Just convoluted for no real reason other than appearing sophisticated and deceive average people while the players and puppeteers laugh their asses off.

bitbydeath

I think almost everyone talking about it doesn't understand it as well. Years are going by, still no useful application for it has been demonstrated.
It's more like a decentralized database with a correction/verification mechanism run via majority vote, essentially.
Much lile NoSQL, it's been overhyped to hell without any real benefit (except for some niches).

I think most people heard of blockchain shit in relation to stupid crypto-mining/crypto bro bullshit.
Thanks, I recall it getting mentioned years ago that we (the company I worked for) should use it but nobody could come up with anything worthwhile to use it for. It seems more like a buzzword than something actually useful.

Thanks, I recall it getting mentioned years ago that we (the company I worked for) should use it but nobody could come up with anything worthwhile to use it for. It seems more like a buzzword than something actually useful.
It's really kind of funny. About six years ago, pretty much everyone I know who worked in tech seemed to be working on something blockchain related. Some left their jobs to join blockchain startups. Now they all act like that shit never happened lol. Same thing is happening with AI right now.

Felessan

Banned
Blockchain is not a thing and it never will be.
It gets quite a traction in finance world, as it makes many things easier and faster. Its a next level of electronic trading (given that laws and regulations already in place)
Sony life probably would benefit it the most at this point of time

It's really kind of funny. About six years ago, pretty much everyone I know who worked in tech seemed to be working on something blockchain related. Some left their jobs to join blockchain startups. Now they all act like that shit never happened lol. Same thing is happening with AI right now.
AI might also be a bit of a bubble, but it is used already in some capacity so not entirely pointless like blockchain stuff is.

SJRB

Gold Member
It gets quite a traction in finance world, as it makes many things easier and faster. Its a next level of electronic trading (given that laws and regulations already in place)

What traction is it getting, and what things makes it easier and faster that would benefit Sony?

Felessan

Banned
What traction is it getting, and what things makes it easier and faster that would benefit Sony?
It's easier, faster and cheaper to create, distribute and trade a financial assets on a blockchain platform than on classic platforms - from deposits to reits.

AI might also be a bit of a bubble, but it is used already in some capacity so not entirely pointless like blockchain stuff is.
Yeah, but I'm starting to think that most of those use cases will either disappear, or end up being a net-negative for everything except some company's bottom line.

I know it's anecdotal evidence and all, but whenever I've talked to someone who has had to rely on AI in a professional capacity (usually because the company they work for decided that there must be some use for it somewhere - everyone else is doing it too, after all) they all seem to have the impression that it causes more work than it saves, creates more problems than it solves, and often comes up with sub-par solutions even in cases where it actually works as intended. And what's worse, these problems seem to be getting worse, not better. Instead of presenting you less bullshit, AI just seems to get better at making bullshit look plausible or reasonable, so it takes you longer to figure out that there's a problem.

And that's just the people AI is supposed to help. It's even shittier for the ones in jobs like teaching where AI is actively being used against them.

Darchaos

It's easier, faster and cheaper to create, distribute and trade a financial assets on a blockchain platform than on classic platforms - from deposits to reits.
What is easier, in what way and how would the trading route look like from the seller selling and geting payed and money to his/her account? Always this shit with crypto, no one can explain anything, just uses convoluted roads around everything.

Felessan

Banned
What is easier, in what way and how would the trading route look like from the seller selling and geting payed and money to his/her account? Always this shit with crypto, no one can explain anything, just uses convoluted roads around everything.
It shouldn't really bother you. The same as you shouldn't really bother (if you don't really want to) about how current finance infrastructure works (banks, exchanges, clearing, depositary, various funds etc). Blockchain is just a better version of it.
What you should know that it makes simplier for market agents to provide better service (faster, cheaper, wider range of products etc)

Fahdis

It shouldn't really bother you. The same as you shouldn't really bother (if you don't really want to) about how current finance infrastructure works (banks, exchanges, clearing, depositary, various funds etc). Blockchain is just a better version of it.
What you should know that it makes simplier for market agents to provide better service (faster, cheaper, wider range of products etc)

I think the mass majority of people don't understand Blockchain. Crypto comprises of Blockchain, but Blockchain is a technology with many usecases that's not just about crypto. Most people don't understand how it helps with Smart Contracts, ZKP, Tokenization, Privacy Preservation, DAO's, Governance and so much more etc. Most people just think its Bitcoin or a Public Ledger which is a scam (it's not as its not any different from FIAT funny money). I think alot of the population has no idea that this is early adoption of the tech and that usecases will come albeit slowly. So far its helped in Decentralization and Autonomy of Finances.

I cannot say that blockchain is or will be useless in every context. But I’m pretty sure it is also a buzzword (like AI, VR, NFT …) which leads to business decisions by people who only think that this is cool/helpful/the future who don’t really get how much (or less) value it will bring in their specific use case in reality.

I see this behavior all the time in my job :(

nial

This isn't necessarily bad news, however, you can probably expect PlayStation Stars to be a sort of proto experiment to digital collectibles and NFT's in a way. You won't even know how its being powered in the background. I am expecting PlayStation Home to make a return.
Why would you expect that, at all? Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. is not even part of the program.
The Soneium Spark Incubation program is launched in collaboration with Sony, Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Global Education, Sony Innovation Fund, and Inzone.
In fact, this is not really video games, it's all done by Sony Network Communications Inc.

StueyDuck

I think the mass majority of people don't understand Blockchain. Crypto comprises of Blockchain, but Blockchain is a technology with many usecases that's not just about crypto. Most people don't understand how it helps with Smart Contracts, ZKP, Tokenization, Privacy Preservation, DAO's, Governance and so much more etc. Most people just think its Bitcoin or a Public Ledger which is a scam (it's not as its not any different from FIAT funny money). I think alot of the population has no idea that this is early adoption of the tech and that usecases will come albeit slowly. So far its helped in Decentralization and Autonomy of Finances.
Not only all that.

But these zeitgeist buzzword terms are formed around things that had already existed. AI is just machine learning and we've had it in the industry for ever now. It's just that with things like tensor cores now we can really push deep learning with more nodes which is what the commoner calls "ai"

Idiots out there acting like they've invented the sequel to the internet are just cryptobro chops with no education in the technology they try peddle

Last edited:

Fahdis

Why would you expect that, at all? Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. is not even part of the program.

In fact, this is not really video games, it's all done by Sony Network Communications Inc.

It's only a matter of time. Just an educated guess at where the industry is going.
Source: Trust me bro.

Fahdis

Not only all that.

But these zeitgeist buzzword terms are formed around things that had already existed. AI is just machine learning and we've had it in the industry for ever now. It's just that with things like tensor cores now we can really push deep learning with more nodes which is what the commoner calls "ai"

Idiots out there acting like they've invented the sequel to the internet are just cryptobro chops with no education in the technology they try peddle

Actually, no. Money always existed. It went from seashells to paper to digital. What's changing is self-autonomy and the way you handle services (regulations pending). You don't need a bank or an intermediary. All you're doing is minimizing the impact of change but I think its coming from a place of innocense. Change happens slowly, its necessary. Alot of things already exist, rebranding is not always a bad idea or the systems that run them in the background.

What's profound is how you and I will be able to interact with money, entertainment and digital goods in the future.

RCX

I've been building a backlog for years at this point. I figure I have enough unplayed games to last me until I'm into my 100s (if I live that long....which I'm not planning to).

If and when sony pulls this shit I'll be happy to duck out of "modern gaming".

Peroroncino

Ahh yes, the legendary Sony reflex of a chess player when it comes to chasing trends.

Worked well for Factions 2 and Concord, let's see how it goes for blockhain.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I'd update you folks since Web3 is the future
While blockchain has its uses the network associated with it (since we are talking specifically about Ethereum) is extremely expensive to maintain in terms of environmental impact. There are currently dozens of millions of cards maintaining these infrastructure under the promise of being rewarded every so often (being that bitcoins or gas or whatever), each network consuming more energy than whole countries. As reward rate diminishes they might jump to different networks making the networks much slower, especially if a large number of end users join the network. And if Ethereum were to split again and you end up in the "wrong" side of the split, your whole business might be forced to stay there. It's interesting how we humans say contamination is bad but are all in for "decentralization" even if that means much more contamination.

And theoretically speaking quantum computers can literally break these algorithms, it just requires someone (as in, a team of talented people) with both cryptography and quantum computing knowledge to rewrite the algorithms to calculate any hash immediately (or, in other words, mine every bitcoin left in the pool in a matter of days).

You don't need a bank or an intermediary.
Until a some time ago 90% of the bitcoins were held by Chinese companies so in some ways it's kind of depending on a group of people in a foreign country.

People who don't understand blockchain technology ITT hardy har har NFTs D. U. M. DUM brother.

Educate yourself and try to understand why this is actually a positive for media distribution, collection and ownership.

StueyDuck

Actually, no. Money always existed. It went from seashells to paper to digital. What's changing is self-autonomy and the way you handle services (regulations pending). You don't need a bank or an intermediary. All you're doing is minimizing the impact of change but I think its coming from a place of innocense. Change happens slowly, its necessary. Alot of things already exist, rebranding is not always a bad idea or the systems that run them in the background.

What's profound is how you and I will be able to interact with money, entertainment and digital goods in the future.
Ah..

So you don't know what a blockchain is either.

You know it's essentially a technological way of distributing data right?

Has nothing to do with money.

Literally a lie. The only thing that makes blockchain faster than regular digital finance is that it SKIPS all the legal requirements to prevent crime. The actual blockchain is extremely slow compared to existing financial software.

Block Chain is not new, it just doesn't have any use for it when it was created, and there is still no use for it now. At least AI have actual utility Blockchain is rubbish, and even more so in gaming.

Last edited:
Literally a lie. The only thing that makes blockchain faster than regular digital finance is that it SKIPS all the legal requirements to prevent crime. The actual blockchain is extremely slow compared to existing financial software.

Block Chain is not new, it just doesn't have any use for it when it was created, and there is still no use for it now. At least AI have actual utility Blockchain is rubbish, and even more so in gaming.
Dude this is not true at all. Global transactions per second right now is 2000-3000 in traditional finance. Solana alone can process up to 65,000. Please provide specific laws of traditional finance in which block chain unlawfully circumvent..

Last edited:

Fahdis

Ah..

So you don't know what a blockchain is either.

You know it's essentially a technological way of distributing data right?

Has nothing to do with money.

That's hilariously simplifying what you're trying to say. I literally took out the one usecase out of many and you took it literally. I used other "buzzwords" up there as well for you to look at. No, I don't know what it is at all since I work in the industry 😉

Top Bottom