• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tries to stop nude images from Beyond: Two Souls from spreading online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if that is the case, they textured her areolae. That has nothing but an aesthetic advantage.
Yeah I assume they probably went the standard procedure with modelling. They already scanned her face and body in 2010. Then later someone came in and said "sorry, no nude Ellen Page" and they simply changed the camera angles.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
haha, oh Sony. If you were fearing Ellen Page's outrage (and lawyers) you should have removed it from the code, not just pan the camera up. You should've known that the internet would eventually uncover it. Now Ms. Page is gonna get ya.

Also, shouldn't the ESRB be upset by this? Or does the Hot Coffee precedent only apply to Rockstar games now?

Alx

Well it's creepy because they're spreading pictures of an underage actre... oh wait Ellen Page is 26, never mind.

Nikodemos

Yeah I assume they probably went the standard procedure with modelling. They already scanned her face and body in 2010. Then later someone came in and said "sorry, no nude Ellen Page" and they simply changed the camera angles.
A pity, since it would've probably beaten GTA V's sales.

LOL, j/k.

Kerned

Banned
Isn't it weird that they modeled the nipples? Looks like the devs intended for this to be found. Which is fucking creepy.

Somehow I think it would be creepier if they modeled the nipples and didn't intend for them to be found. Just creating their own, private, nude Ellen Page model.

Hedge

Isn't she like 13? Why would anyone want to see pictures of her?

Anyway, when you do a job involving laying body to a nude model, I guess these things happen.

StayDead

To be serious, it's QDs fault, why does she even have nipples if they're not intended to be shown?

She should be like a nude Barbie doll.

What is the huge deal about nipples? Everyone has them, why is it any different when it's a womans nipples compared to a mans? Yes, babies suckle from the nipples of a female human but it's the same all over the animal kingdom, does it really matter all that much?

Chev

shouldn't the ESRB be upset by this? Or does the Hot Coffee precedent only apply to Rockstar games now?
Unlike what happened with GTA this doesn't affect the rating, though it does affect the content descriptors (ie "nudity" should be added).

Doopliss

Sony: Oh noooo, please don't look at these pictures of a 3D model based on Ellen Paige naked. Please, don't look at them in Beyond: Two Souls, the interactive cinematic experience available only on PlayStation. Please, don't look at the exquisite modeling work made possible by our dedication to hi-fidelity image reproduction through our proprietary gaming hardware! Don't look at them in Beyond: Two Souls, available in stores everywhere now!
Haha, nailed it.

Nikodemos

If I was Page I'd be pissed at the unflattering portrayal of her boobs.
Why? They seem appropriate/proportionate to her body type.

Haha, nailed it.
Nah. Sony are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Not taking any action would most likely incur the legal ire of Page's manager, while going out with statements and asking sites to delete them will come across as shameless merchandising.

Also, shouldn't the ESRB be upset by this? Or does the Hot Coffee precedent only apply to Rockstar games now?
Since there is some brief uncensored male nudity in the game, I doubt ESRB cares. It's not interactive, it's not sex, it's not GTA and it is not as easily accessed as HotCoffee was.

Marvel

could never
Hp8FCJe_zps0c86bf26.png

Such teases, Sony.

StuBurns

Banned
What is the huge deal about nipples? Everyone has them, why is it any different when it's a womans nipples compared to a mans? Yes, babies suckle from the nipples of a female human but it's the same all over the animal kingdom, does it really matter all that much?
I'm not saying she shouldn't have nipples, I'm saying if Sony or QD cared about someone doing this, they could have prevented it by not giving her nipples for people to post. The game 'teases' her nudity with strategically placed towels and the like.

They make the nude model, teasingly obscure it, then they have no recourse when someone just posts the pictures. They asked for it.

Nikodemos

I'm not saying they're too small, but they just look weird and bad.
They look like regular small-frame breasts to me. Not "weird and bad".

And I can bring my vast knowledge of female anatomy based on the "Clothed/Unclothed" series of photoshoots as proof.

DeadcatXL

Banned

Hey man, do you mind sending out a picture of you topless and a picture of your girlfriend topless?

It's all the same man.

Replicant

Perfection, Sony! This is how you draw those horny boys to buy the game.

You hear that (straight) guys? Ellen Page is NUDE in BEYOND: Two Souls. Get the special edition now!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Unlike what happened with GTA this doesn't affect the rating, though it does affect the content descriptors (ie "nudity" should be added).

Since there is some brief uncensored male nudity in the game, I doubt ESRB cares. It's not interactive, it's not sex, it's not GTA and it is not as easily accessed as HotCoffee was.

Yes but after Hot Coffee the ESRB made it perfectly clear that this sort of non-disclosure can never happen again:

Going forward, the ESRB will now require all game publishers to submit any pertinent content shipped in final product even if is not intended to ever be accessed during game play or remove it from the final disc. Furthermore, the ESRB calls on the computer and video game industry to proactively protect their games from illegal modifications by third parties, particularly when they serve to undermine the accuracy of the rating.

And the ESRB guidelines state that any non-disclosure will be punishable:

where the ESRB enforcement system allows for the imposition of harsh sanctions (e.g., fines up to $1 million, product recall, the stickering of product throughout all retail outlets) for instances of significant or egregious content non-disclosure. Less serious violations of ESRB content disclosure guidelines can result in the assignment of points, fines, and mandated corrective actions, and are effective disincentives for noncompliance.

No matter which way you look at it, Sony should in theory get fined or at least slapped on the wrist for this (according to ESRB policies).

This is real!? I saw that naked pic all over the internet, but I thought it was just a joke like when someone changed the bathroom dialogue in the game.

Color me surprised. Either way the pic wasn't all that great anyways.

rakhir

I think they even gave her bigger boobs in the game.

Bu seriously, that shouldn't even happen, Quantic Dreams shouldn't have textured anything on the model. Yeah, do that for you own wankery, modellers, but don't leave that shit in the proper game.

masterkajo

I really don't understand what all that fuzz is about? I mean it isn't even really her just a digital model. Why the big scandal?

I personally am much more dissappointed that it wasn't included in the first place. I wouldn't mind having a bit more digital tasteful nudity instead of all the shooting and slashing. Especially in a narrative driven game where it can actually make sense.

Anyway, how much does a Debug PS3 go for these days? :p

Guerilla

I really don't understand what all that fuzz is about? I mean it isn't even really her just a digital model. Why the big scandal?

I personally am much more dissappointed that it wasn't included in the first place. I wouldn't mind having a bit more digital tasteful nudity instead of all the shooting and slashing. Especially in a narrative driven game where it can actually make sense.

Anyway, how much does a Debug PS3 go for these days? :p

Sony PR is trying to create this "scandal" noone else. First they censored the game and now they want to market it using the nudity they censored. They want the cake and eat it too.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony PR is trying to create this "scandal" noone else. First they censored the game and now they want to market it using the nudity they censored. They want the cake and eat it too.
Do you have any reason whatsoever to believe Sony censored the game?

L3G3ND6

Neo Member
I've only seen a video on this, but she isn't actually showing anything, I don't see what's wrong here, all you see is the skin, the rest are covered or off camera.

EDIT: Yeh, I only skimmed, must have missed it.

Yes but after Hot Coffee the ESRB made it perfectly clear that this sort of non-disclosure can never happen again:

Going forward, the ESRB will now require all game publishers to submit any pertinent content shipped in final product even if is not intended to ever be accessed during game play or remove it from the final disc. Furthermore, the ESRB calls on the computer and video game industry to proactively protect their games from illegal modifications by third parties, particularly when they serve to undermine the accuracy of the rating.

And the ESRB guidelines state that any non-disclosure will be punishable:

where the ESRB enforcement system allows for the imposition of harsh sanctions (e.g., fines up to $1 million, product recall, the stickering of product throughout all retail outlets) for instances of significant or egregious content non-disclosure. Less serious violations of ESRB content disclosure guidelines can result in the assignment of points, fines, and mandated corrective actions, and are effective disincentives for noncompliance.

No matter which way you look at it, Sony should in theory get fined or at least slapped on the wrist for this (according to ESRB policies).
How do you know Sony didn't submit this content? I don't think it would change the ESRB description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom