• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 in development (ignmail)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://cube.ign.com/mail.html?fromint=1

What's the deal with Soul Calibur 3? Huh? Since Midway has decided to shaft the 250,000 of us who purchased Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance by not giving us MKD sequel, I simply must ask what will become of our greatest fighting franchise? Where is the sequel to Soul Calibur 2 and more importantly how can Nintendo and Namco make Sony and M$ green with envy that we got the greatest version of the game? Answers people.... we need answers!

Matt responds: Don't fret about Mortal Kombat. The situation is not quite as bleak as you might think. But as for the Soulcalibur franchise (and by the way it really is spelled like that, according to Namco), the developer has a sequel in the works. It's very early on. And I have no idea what to expect from it yet. But we can assume that Nintendo fans will not be ignored, especially since the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II, which was powered by Link, outsold the others.

If you're reading this, Namco people, please make an all-Zelda fighter in the style of Soulcalibur. (By the way, look for an editorial from me on this very subject in the not too distant future.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really hope Namco tries something "different" with this one, I found Soul Calibur II a little on the predictable side.

Next gen sounds good, I'm in no hurry to see another Soul Calibur.

Ferrio

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
I really hope Namco tries something "different" with this one, I found Soul Calibur II a little on the predictable side.

Next gen sounds good, I'm in no hurry to see another Soul Calibur.

Predictable? What were you expecting, them to start using fish as weapons or something? It's a fighting game, you don't drastically change fighting games.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ferrio said:
Predictable? What were you expecting, them to start using fish as weapons or something? It's a fighting game, you don't drastically change fighting games.

Yeah, I know. It just didn't give me much of an experience. I just found the extra modes more annoying than fun and challenging.

I don't know if you've played VF4: Evo, but some of the little gameplay tweaks that can be played out in the Quest mode arena really made a big difference. I like stuff like that.

I don't know about most of you but...I've known about Soul Calibur III for a while...Someone tell me that they knew as well?

DrDogg

Yeah, this isn't news. It's been known for some time. Just like we knew Tekken 5 was in development over 2 years ago. My educated guess would have this hitting arcades in 2006.

Tekken 4 Arcade - 2001
Tekken 4 PS2 - 2002
Soul Claibur 2 Arcade - 2002
Soul Calibur 2 PS2/Xbox/GCN - 2003
Tekken 5 Arcade - 2004
Tekken 5 PS2 - 2005
Tekken 5.5 (TTT2) PS3 - 2006
Soul Calibur 3 Arcade - 2006
Soul Calibur 3 Xbox2/PS3/Revolution - 2007

NWO

Wario64 said:
What's the deal with Soul Calibur 3? Huh? Since Midway has decided to shaft the 250,000 of us who purchased Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance by not giving us MKD sequel, I simply must ask what will become of our greatest fighting franchise? Where is the sequel to Soul Calibur 2 and more importantly how can Nintendo and Namco make Sony and M$ green with envy that we got the greatest version of the game? Answers people.... we need answers!

Matt responds: Don't fret about Mortal Kombat. The situation is not quite as bleak as you might think. But as for the Soulcalibur franchise (and by the way it really is spelled like that, according to Namco), the developer has a sequel in the works. It's very early on. And I have no idea what to expect from it yet. But we can assume that Nintendo fans will not be ignored, especially since the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II, which was powered by Link, outsold the others.

If you're reading this, Namco people, please make an all-Zelda fighter in the style of Soulcalibur. (By the way, look for an editorial from me on this very subject in the not too distant future.)

WTF? Is Mortal Kombat coming to the Cube?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
NWO said:
WTF? Is Mortal Kombat coming to the Cube?
mk2_babality.png

j/k

GDGF

Soothsayer
The Cube'll probably get an offline version [of Mortal Kombat] a few months after the other ones release.

Greekboy

Banned
doncale said:
I hope Soul Calibur 3 wows me as much as the original Soul Edge did in 1995 in arcade and in 1996 on PS1.

Nah. I want to be wowed like I was with the awesome Dreamcast version. SC3 better come out on a next-gen console too. No point in seeing it on the Xbox, PS2 or GCN.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
Nah. I want to be wowed like I was with the awesome Dreamcast version. SC3 better come out on a next-gen console too. No point in seeing it on the Xbox, PS2 or GCN.

A little birdy told me it's for the current gen. And there is a point if it releases say, sometime in '05.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
JJConrad said:
So, no arcade version?

Unsure about that JJ, I would assume there would be unless Namco would rather focus on getting out the console version. Which was by far their most profitable venture, but it's difficult to imagine them totally ignoring the arcade sector.

belgurdo

Banned
No clones, no RPG/character raising bullshit, and definitely no return to system exclusive characters and I'll actually pick this one up for more than 25 bucks

DrDogg

Li Mu Bai said:
Unsure about that JJ, I would assume there would be unless Namco would rather focus on getting out the console version. Which was by far their most profitable venture, but it's difficult to imagine them totally ignoring the arcade sector.

There is ZERO chance SC3 will hit consoles in 2005. It's a long shot just for it to hit arcades in 2005. Namco won't put Tekken 5 and SC3 head to head against eachother. Tekken 5 won't hit arcades until late this year (Oct-Dec), and the PS2 version has been pushed back to late summer in Japan. That about covers Namco fighting games for 2005.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
DrDogg said:
There is ZERO chance SC3 will hit consoles in 2005. It's a long shot just for it to hit arcades in 2005. Namco won't put Tekken 5 and SC3 head to head against eachother. Tekken 5 won't hit arcades until late this year (Oct-Dec), and the PS2 version has been pushed back to late summer in Japan. That about covers Namco fighting games for 2005.

Perhaps, I was estimating upon the release date. Although my source says it's in development for current generation & not next-gen systems.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
With Tekken 5 coming next year, I see little chance of SC3 being released on current consoles. A 2006 console release is plausible, but by then, they might as well wait and make it a next-gen (launch) title.

I can't wait for Matt's editorial on an all-Zelda fighter. I'm sure Matt's editorial will include the statement "Nintendo dropped the ball by not making this..."

I think the idea is fantastic, though I'd like it to be dungeon based, something like a AoL remake. Of course, you can't complain about the game we're getting next year (granted, here at GAF, we can complain about anything and everything).

I hope its on a next gen console. With BLOOD or at least cuts appearing as the fight goes on. Clothes getting increasing tattered would be cool too. and hyperrealistic graphics.

.. I can't see the game looking that much more differenct on current gen consoles. They did do everything they could plus spend ages getting the console versions out. And it looked as good as it did.

That said, I played

SOUL CALIBUR DC maybe 1000 hours

SOUL CALBUR 2 GC maybe 30 hours

go figure.. I think the new quest structure IS Flawed.

Kudie

Like many others here, I would like to see SCIII on a next-generation system. I think that SCII is as good as the game can get for this generation of hardware.

My primary hope is that the game is online. I think this is a good possibility as the producer of the game said it was one of his goals for the next SC game. I think the interview was in the Afterthoughts section of the November 2003 issue of EGM (pg. 46). The producer, Hiroaki Yotoriyama, said," Online play is the key element for future fighting games." I like to hear that and hope that Namco can make this happen.

BTW, I was wondering if anyone here knows whether the SC team also makes the Tekken games. I have never known , but would like to know.

Kudie

TheGreenGiant said:
I think the new quest structure IS Flawed.

I agree. I dislike the Weapon Master Mode because most of the objectives, in part, rely on a little luck, rather than fighting skill. I would like them to make the mode similar to the VF4: Evo Quest Mode.

SaitoH

Ferrio said:

Yes, you do. If you don't, you end up with DOA3 and SC2. Both of which I was done with in a week (I was a huge SC1 and DOA2 fan) but both sequels were huge disappointments. Hell, VF4 EVO was more of an inprovement over VF4 then those two were. I should never be able to pick up a sequel to a fighting game and be able to do all the exact same moves and combos that I could in the previous version. This is what ruined 2D fighters for me, especially long running series like KoF.

It was very annoying since SC2 still had the same parry issues, that retarded air recovery system that breaks all combos and not one new play mechanic. So this time Namco ... give us a sequel, not a visual upgrade ... please.

Oh dear. Namco people, please don't listen to this man!

XS+

Banned
Namco drastically changed Soul Edge system in the following installment, Sega drastically changed VF3 from VF2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 plays drastically different from other traditional SF games, etc. You don't expect companies to 'drastically' change a fighting system only if your expectations are low.

Fighting games shouldn't treated the same way as annual Madden updates.

DrDogg

Kudie said:
Like many others here, I would like to see SCIII on a next-generation system. I think that SCII is as good as the game can get for this generation of hardware.

My primary hope is that the game is online. I think this is a good possibility as the producer of the game said it was one of his goals for the next SC game. I think the interview was in the Afterthoughts section of the November 2003 issue of EGM (pg. 46). The producer, Hiroaki Yotoriyama, said," Online play is the key element for future fighting games." I like to hear that and hope that Namco can make this happen.

BTW, I was wondering if anyone here knows whether the SC team also makes the Tekken games. I have never known , but would like to know.

They share some of the same staff, but for the most part it's two different teams.

Also... SC2 added quite a bit over SC1. The thing about most fighting games like DOA2 to DOA3, SC1 to SC2, etc. is that the major differences can only be seen at high levels of play. So if you don't learn how to play the game at high levels, you will never see the big differences.

I think the greatest problem with SC2 is perception. For a game this late into current gen development. It sure didn't knock anyone's socks off. I certainly was unimpressed with its Dreamcast 1.1 visuals. There was nothing really outstanding about SC2.

LakeEarth

Lost Weekend said:
The Cube'll probably get an offline version [of Mortal Kombat] a few months after the other ones release.

God I hope so. I'm so pissed about it though. I mean, MK5 sold well on the Gamecube, so what's the big deal about bringing 6 to it? I was so hyped to play the game, and I just assumed it was Cube-bound because I thought Midway liked money!

XS+

Banned
DrDogg said:
Also... SC2 added quite a bit over SC1. The thing about most fighting games like DOA2 to DOA3, SC1 to SC2, etc. is that the major differences can only be seen at high levels of play. So if you don't learn how to play the game at high levels, you will never see the big differences.
But the difference between Soul Edge and SC1 was enormous at any level, probably bigger than the difference between SC1 and SC2. SC1 revolutionized the Soul series and SC2 just 'evolutionized' it. What's wrong with seeing innovations beyond a slew of gameplay tweaks and prettier graphics? It's not like there was anything glaringly wrong with SC1's gameplay that demanded updating. If SC2 never existed, SC1's competitive scene would be strong to this day.

soakrates

XS+ said:
But the difference between Soul Edge and SC1 was enormous at any level, probably bigger than the difference between SC1 and SC2. SC1 revolutionized the Soul series and SC2 just 'evolutionized' it. What's wrong with seeing innovations beyond a slew of gameplay tweaks and prettier graphics? It's not like there was anything glaringly wrong with SC1's gameplay that demanded updating. If SC2 never existed, SC1's competitive scene would be strong to this day.
SoulCalibur and Soul Edge were two completely different games. SC1 was built pretty much from the ground up and doesn't base much of its system on SE at all. The only way you can hope for that kind of leap between installments of SoulCalibur is if you more or less do away with almost everything that makes the series what it is.

Also, SC1's competitive scene was on life support after two years, while SC2 tournaments are still regularly held all over the world.

EDIT: Took out first sentence. Didn't make a whole lot of sense. :p

XS+

Banned
soakrates said:
SoulCalibur and Soul Edge were two completely different games. SC1 was built pretty much from the ground up and doesn't base much of its system on SE at all. The only way you can hope for that kind of leap between installments of SoulCalibur is if you more or less do away with almost everything that makes the series what it is.

Also, SC1's competitive scene was on life support after two years, while SC2 tournaments are still regularly held all over the world.

EDIT: Took out first sentence. Didn't make a whole lot of sense. :p
The only thing different about SC1 from SE was the fighting engine, really. Everything else is pretty similar, from the characters and their signature moves, to other stuff like storyline, announcer style, music etc.

And to clarify, I'm not expecting every fighter to completely rebuild themselves for every sequel, but why there's all this defense against the type of reinvention that Namco decided to do with SC1, I have no clue. Fighting games can stand on their own and be played for years if they're good enough (and SC1 was good enough imo), and a full-fledged sequel released for the sake of updating isn't all that necessary (unless it's in the vein of VF4-style updates, where it's the same game but everything is refined and 'tuned' to perfection with each installment). Myself, I'd love to see SC3 not play very similar to SC2 or SC1, but that's me.

Also, SC1's comp scene lasted two years? As in 1998-2000? I disagree.. There were new techniques and DC-specific glitches being discovered back in 2001. J.Arney wouldn't have bothered making all those Skill Project videos in 2001 (iirc) if the comp scene died off, would he? And people didn't lose interest in the popular DC release after [/i]one year. I was definitely facing decent comp in the US back in '01.

Now Namco opting out of releasing SC1 on NAOMI didn't help the comp scene much, but that makes sense since SC2 wasn't that far off.

soakrates

XS+ said:
The only thing different about SC1 from SE was the fighting engine, really. Everything else is pretty similar, from the characters and their signature moves, to other stuff like storyline, announcer style, music etc.
The vast differences in the fighting engines are far more important than any aesthetic similarities, if you ask me.

And to clarify, I'm not expecting every fighter to completely rebuild themselves for every sequel, but why there's all this defense against the type of reinvention that Namco decided to do with SC1, I have no clue.
That's partly because SC1 got so many things right. And the type of reinvention you're calling for would probably make for a game that is too different from the SoulCalibur play model to rightfully be called SoulCalibur.

Fighting games can stand on their own and be played for years if they're good enough (and SC1 was good enough imo), and a full-fledged sequel released for the sake of updating isn't all that necessary (unless it's in the vein of VF4-style updates, where it's the same game but everything is refined and 'tuned' to perfection with each installment). Myself, I'd love to see SC3 not play very similar to SC2 or SC1, but that's me.
At high or even intermediate levels, SC1 and SC2 are already very, very different from one another. What people call "minor updates" in actuality have a drastic effect on how the game is played. Everything from ring size (significantly reduces the danger of ring outs), to move tracking (vertical attacks can now be sidestepped with ease), to character changes (Maxi losing many of his natural combos severely changes the way he's used).

Also, SC1's comp scene lasted two years? As in 1998-2000? I disagree.. There were new techniques and DC-specific glitches being discovered back in 2001. J.Arney wouldn't have bothered making all those Skill Project videos in 2001 (iirc) if the comp scene died off, would he? And people didn't lose interest in the popular DC release after [/i]one year. I was definitely facing decent comp in the US back in '01.

People still make combo videos for X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, but its competitive scene is far from alive and well.

Compare SC1 in 2001 -- when tournaments were quite rare and when it wasn't featured at majors aside from the occasional Electric Cancel -- to SC2 in 2004 -- when it's had its own MS-sponsored world championship, has been featured at Evolution for the last two years, and when tournaments are still common in the community.

Top Bottom