• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Delta |OT| Escaping a Grim fate

ZeroAKA

Ok, unlocked MP last night.

Now I'm playing the Pact missions, starting with level 1 difficulty (hope it's what I'm supposed to be doing at this point)

Question: Is boosting the ideal method of consolidating a lot of redundant spells? And does it make sense to consolidate as few as two of the same spells when the only benefit is acquiring an extra cast?
You should boost bronze and silver offerings for more casts. Once you get to gold, you should try to fuse black versions of those and boost black offerings if possible.

You should boost bronze and silver offerings for more casts. Once you get to gold, you should try to fuse black versions of those and boost black offerings if possible.

Thanks a lot. I'm still learning the various options and menus of the game, as this is my first time playing SS. Please bear with me...

Question 2: How do I recognize the location of a demon's cursed parts? The mind vision thing, pressing down on the dpad?

Question 3: I don't understand the bazaar. What am I exactly supposed to do in it and what benefits are there to it?

Last question for now: At this point of the game (just unlocked MP), what should I really be doing? I don't want to fudge up my character's build...

Thank you.

ZeroAKA

Thanks a lot. I'm still learning the various options and menus of the game, as this is my first time playing SS. Please bear with me...

Question 2: How do I recognize the location of a demon's cursed parts? The mind vision thing, pressing down on the dpad?

Question 3: I don't understand the bazaar. What am I exactly supposed to do in it and what benefits are there to it?

Last question for now: At this point of the game (just unlocked MP), what should I really be doing? I don't want to fudge up my character's build...

Thank you.
2. Use Mind's Eye (press down on d-pad). The glowing orbs are where the cursed parts are.

3. You can get new costumes, rumors (basically temporary power-ups), and quests at the bazaar.

4. Play through the stories and do some of the pacts. Don't worry about farming or grinding until you start getting consistent gold rewards.

Redhood

So I decided to buy the game last night and It was worth it. Imported my Vanilla Save and got confused to what was happening. Ditched it and started from scratch! So far finished Wicked sorcerer and Now at sympatha. Cannot wait to play grim. :)

There are so many costumes for sale with carnatux. Plus Sotiara costume is also there. I just love her design.

Love the slave costume. Will surely fight magusar in it. It just makes sense.

Ripped out redhood wallpaper from livearea for anyone interested as could not find this one anywhere online.

14223428745_ffe63715be_o.png

magnetic

Are the "pinion" offerings (the feather ones where you dash into enemies) new to Delta? I find them incredibly useful, especially for countering small enemies, and in particular those flying crow ones - just lock on and slam into them three times, roll to cancel the recovery animation and repeat. Since there´s no "summoning" animation you can pull it off without any delay. Perfect for hit-and-run tactics!

Scher

Does anyone know what the actual conditions are for unlocking Hour of Cinder Gray? I know Zero mentioned using that to get Testament (L), but even after having done all the SP missions and doing a decent chunk of the Pacts, Hour of Cinder Gray still hasn't been unlocked. I've tried searching around for an answer, but I've already satisfied all the conditions people have given for unlocking it.

I keep getting my ass handed to me in the first Hidden Pact (under Age of Dawn). The environment is foggy as hell, so I put on my Mind' Eye naturally, but that damn archfiend does this top-spin move and knocks me around relentlessly. Not to mention his annoying dogs that keep petrifying me -- they seem to be immune to my hits, too.

How am I supposed to kill this guy?

Seil

I keep getting my ass handed to me in the first Hidden Pact (under Age of Dawn). The environment is foggy as hell, so I put on my Mind' Eye naturally, but that damn archfiend does this top-spin move and knocks me around relentlessly. Not to mention his annoying dogs that keep petrifying me -- they seem to be immune to my hits, too.

Those types of pacts require you to use Mind's Eye and gather the blue items around the map. Successfully doing so will reveal the real pact for you to complete.

Scher

You don't kill them. When the entry is all messed up and foggy, you're supposed to use your mind's eye to locate and collect all the items. Once you collect all the items, everything will be cleared up and you can then redo the mission the normal way.

mid83

I have Soul Sacrifice from PS+ but haven't played it yet. Should I still play the vanilla game first or go ahead and buy this version and start from the beginning in SS Delta?

Seil

I have Soul Sacrifice from PS+ but haven't played it yet. Should I still play the vanilla game first or go ahead and buy this version and start from the beginning in SS Delta?

If you're certain you're interested, Delta's a better experience overall and contains the content of the original(with some tweaks here and there, mixing Archfiends that were previously DLC or added in Delta into some pacts and whatnot) plus the new stuff. Balancing changes, polish, more story, the new factions which are pretty cool, etc.

If you aren't sure, however, I'd say give the original a go to get a feel for the game since you have it.

Edit: Of course, I don't mean beat the original beforehand, but rather just play it some to help you make up your mind. Then pick up where you left off in the superior version if you want.

magnetic

Like Seil said, I would use SS as a demo of sorts, the general combat and progress structure is similar to Delta.

However, Delta is a much, MUCH better game, and the new bosses and environments blow the old ones out of the water (so far, personally speaking). I´d say it´s halfway between an expansion and a full sequel.

Also, the many tweaks and improvements just stack up. The Ars Magica in Delta is a very handy way to find which quests have what spells (basically the "loot" in this game) - in vanilla SS you had to manually search for them in each quests description, which was very annoying.

It definitely took me a while to get into it, however, it is a pretty confusing game at first from my experience. But now I´m hooked!

Novocaine

I'm still early in to the game, but man playing Delta makes the original game feel like it was unfinished, rather than this being an addition.

But I NEED JAPANESE AUDIO.

NEED IT.

magnetic

I'm still early in to the game, but man playing Delta makes the original game feel like it was unfinished, rather than this being an addition.

Toukiden was the same way for me. Felt like half a game stretched to fit full game length, so that they can sell an expanded version later on and get people to pay twice.

Seil

As much as I like Grim, I dunno if I'll actually stick with/go back to it later.

I didn't make it very far in the original before I got sidetracked and pulled away, but I'm quite enjoying Delta and Grim seemed like it would definitely be my thing. I like the offerings affiliated with them, the balance aspect and so on. And when I first saw the "luck over performance" I was okay with it. But man, trying to get the last item in a list of mission rewards is proving to be absolute hell.

If the actual rewards were random, it'd be another story, but since mission rewards work in a sequential fashion, if you don't roll for three, you can't get the third item listed. Doing a mission 10+ times and getting two every time is really obnoxious when you only want the third. =/

ramyeon

Does anyone know what the actual conditions are for unlocking Hour of Cinder Gray? I know Zero mentioned using that to get Testament (L), but even after having done all the SP missions and doing a decent chunk of the Pacts, Hour of Cinder Gray still hasn't been unlocked. I've tried searching around for an answer, but I've already satisfied all the conditions people have given for unlocking it.
It's INT. Either 34 or 35 I can't recall exactly.

ramyeon

Guess that means I've got a lot of offerings to grind for. Is there a way to get more than one martyr award from a quest?
Not sure about martyr awards but a quick way to get loads of new pacts is to switch factions to get their faction specific offerings in low level quests.

Shengar

Is that still in SSD? Definitely going to tackle that online if it's something like a 15-star mission.
Nope, but you will solo them
in the branching mermory in Magusar's chapter
Sounds crazy right? Actually not. It seems that they nerf her, since she moves slowly and her attack isn't as relentless as before. I don't know if its for the entire game or just that particular mission.
I loved the Gemini Illecebra mission. Three of us in ad-hoc and it took something like 40 minutes. Rewarded ourselves with a nice supper afterward.
Good for you who have friend to ad-hoc together.
Me on the other hand must sucked it up as I'll never unable to platinum the original ;__;
And man, Ars Magica is such a useful addition. No more manually searching for quests to get a specific offering!
Ars Magica is indeed useful! But I hope it also can show the location for monsters since sometimes it's an ass to search through pact, especially minor one.
Question: Is boosting the ideal method of consolidating a lot of redundant spells? And does it make sense to consolidate as few as two of the same spells when the only benefit is acquiring an extra cast?
It's depend on your playstyle. Having two same offering means that you have double the cast, but it also means that you've less one slot for different offering. Boosting offering just add one extra cast to the said offering, seems very minor if not a waste than having two offering at the same time. But since offering of the same type now limited into two, offering slot become important, especially if your playstyle built around inflicting elemental damage.
Toukiden was the same way for me. Felt like half a game stretched to fit full game length, so that they can sell an expanded version later on and get people to pay twice.

I wouldn't said the same to vanilla SS since they give us extra bosses like Wraith, Cat Sith, Troll, and others. Toukiden on the other hand, despite its excellent gameplay, indeed feel stretched with that lazy recolor bosses and lackluster post launch support.

ijed

If the actual rewards were random, it'd be another story, but since mission rewards work in a sequential fashion, if you don't roll for three, you can't get the third item listed. Doing a mission 10+ times and getting two every time is really obnoxious when you only want the third. =/

Yeah is there a way to boost luck to get more rewards? Get much better rewards being in the other factions - It's great for neutral arm builds though :)

Also is there a list of all the combos in the game? The wikia page is a bit lacking.

Stoof

In your opinion(s) are the changes/additions to the game substantial enough to justify buying it full price if I already got Soul Sacrifice during a sale? I hadn't played it yet due to a lot of other games being in the way but I felt like getting around to it and I didn't know if it would just be worth it to pick up Delta instead.

ramyeon

In your opinion(s) are the changes/additions to the game substantial enough to justify buying it full price if I already got Soul Sacrifice during a sale? I hadn't played it yet due to a lot of other games being in the way but I felt like getting around to it and I didn't know if it would just be worth it to pick up Delta instead.
Yes.

I only played SS for a few hours before buying SSD and I paid full price for both.

Seil

Definitely, assuming you're sure you want the game of course. It's improved in almost every way, though I still have a number of nitpicks haha. I'd say give the original a bit of time to determine how you feel about the core game, keeping in mind that Delta's received extra polish, tweaks and additions in most areas.

I didn't dislike the original, but it didn't quite manage to hook me. I'm quite enjoying Delta, though.

Stoof

Yes.

I only played SS for a few hours before buying SSD and I paid full price for both.

Definitely, assuming you're sure you want the game of course. It's improved in almost every way, though I still have a number of nitpicks haha. I'd say give the original a bit of time to determine how you feel about the core game, keeping in mind that Delta's received extra polish, tweaks and additions in most areas.

I didn't dislike the original, but it didn't quite manage to hook me. I'm quite enjoying Delta, though.
You bastards.
Downloading now

Scher

Wow, the difference between gold offerings and black offerings is pretty insane. These spears have double the power!

magnetic

I found a great spot for getting blue offerings when you´re still low level (might not be an actual PRO TIP, but maybe it helps someone!):

Pacts -> Forgotten Pacts -> Hours of Verdure -> Checkpoint Treasure Hunt

It´s one of these "collect soul shards" quests, you have to beat this one in under 2 minutes. If you equip falcon feather, you can blast through the corridors and collect the five shards in under 50 seconds, and not get hit a single time if you´re lucky.

There´s three offerings directly behind you, and the other two are down the corridor you were looking at when you started, take the left turn. Sometimes the shards lie in weird placed directy under or in front of the fruit spiders, but quite often I got lucky and just rushed through it.

Are there any other quests well suited for getting offerings quick like that? I really, really love the open nature of this game, with so much stuff unlocked after beating the first few initial quests. Flipping through the pages looking for good quests is already half the fun.

Redhood

FINALLY. Just barely beat him.

Congatz. I also did this quest now. I found it too easy. I had ice armor, volt spear and volt throw. Level was 9.

As for the despair regarding dual illecebra I soloed her 4 times and she is easy once you know how.

The level in which we fight her is huge. The trick is that you attack one and only one illecebra. When she starts chasing you take her to the corner of the map and kill her there. Rest is easy. Use Volt armor as her volt attack is the only attack that is a sure hit. Also learn to dodge when she is running towards you and roll away as soon as she jumps. People suggest using shield. I can do it without it. Use bombs to make her come out of her charging spider state. Use minds eye when she starts gathering glitter around her to do the petrify spell. Do not bother with elemental damage as her elemental weakness changes everytime. Just bring your strongest offerings of one element. Do not use allies.

ZeroAKA

As for the despair regarding dual illecebra I soloed her 4 times and she is easy once you know how.

The level in which we fight her is huge. The trick is that you attack one and only one illecebra. When she starts chasing you take her to the corner of the map and kill her there. Rest is easy. Use Volt armor as her volt attack is the only attack that is a sure hit. Also learn to dodge when she is running towards you and roll away as soon as she jumps. People suggest using shield. I can do it without it. Use bombs to make her come out of her charging spider state. Use minds eye when she starts gathering glitter around her to do the petrify spell. Do not bother with elemental damage as her elemental weakness changes everytime. Just bring your strongest offerings of one element. Do not use allies.
After you separated the two of them, the rest was fairly easy. Dual Illecebra and Phoenix/Griffin were still my least favorite quests by far even after figuring out the tricks.

I tinkered with the fuse system and lost my falcon feather. My results have taken a hit. Is there any way for me to reverse fusings or do I just have to find another falcon feather?

hiljay

I tinkered with the fuse system and lost my falcon feather. My results have taken a hit. Is there any way for me to reverse fusings or do I just have to find another falcon feather?

You're stuck man. Gotta get yourself a new Falcon Feather.

I'm struggling with either going Blood or Weapon Build.

Thinking if I go Blood (since I transmuted for the blood sigil already), I'll stay neutral for Drubbing boosts and farm for the throw weapon sigils. Decisions decisions.

Redhood

After you separated the two of them, the rest was fairly easy. Dual Illecebra and Phoenix/Griffin were still my least favorite quests by far even after figuring out the tricks.
Phoenix/ Griffin and werewolf on a windy Icarus pasture were rage inducing. Werewolf being the worst.

Seil

do we need to buy those Memory Clods?
or can we just unlock them by playing more?

I believe they can only be bought. But isn't their purpose just to unlock more blank page slots?

I can see the appeal if someone's got really good pacts in their existing slots, but otherwise it just seems like a convenience thing.

Scher

Anyone know a good mission to get Miserly+ LE from? I'm assuming that comes from the gold covered goblins, but I can't seem to find a mission with them that gives + LE.

Shengar

Anyone know a good mission to get Miserly+ LE from? I'm assuming that comes from the gold covered goblins, but I can't seem to find a mission with them that gives + LE.

You could take one of the lower pact, use SE/LE+ Rumor, or just kill everything and hope that one of them have evil/sinister soul.

jengo

Word of warning: if you jump into this after not having played (or finished) vanilla SS in months...you WILL be confused. @_@

Top Bottom