• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Wanny

I'm on the fence about buying the game, someone push me over the edge. Played the demo for a bit, wasn't thrilled. I did love Monster Hunter on the PSP and would love a similar experience. The book voice and dialogue annoyed me right out of the gate, I'm thinking the game gets a lot more fun and deep as you go. Are the maps bigger then the initial demo?

I wasn't exactly excited with the demo either and decided to give the full game a shot. Still wasn't excited for the first hour then suddenly BOOM I got hooked and just saw the depth of this game ahead of me.

Nitemare1

I wasn't exactly excited with the demo either and decided to give the full game a shot. Still wasn't excited for the first hour then suddenly BOOM I got hooked and just saw the depth of this game ahead of me.

I'm glad to hear this cause the first hour (I've had a chance to play the first 3 missions) isn't doing much for me so far!

Menchi

Have only just got my copy turn up, ready to dive in, except, I was under the mistaken impression that Amazon.co.uk had the pre-order bonus too... Unfortunately, they didn't. I don't suppose anyone has a spare code floating around? :(

Kazzy

I'm enjoying the game so far, but because I held off on playing the demo, I think I may not be privy to some of the nuance.

• Am I right in thinking that the boss encounters are damage cushions? I've been playing SP so far, and I've noticed that they can become quite drawn out. I guess it doesn't help that the AI can be a liability, to put it mildly!

• Is there an effective way to gauge an enemies weakness? I've simply been resorting to spamming every spell I have equipped, and just waiting for the prompt. I also haven't really experimented with any of the shield spells yet, but can anyone vouch for their usefulness?

• My main spells have been the Axe and a couple of the Homing elementals so far, but I assume that I'll have to start repeating certain missions if I want to start upgrading them? The drops haven't been too kind on that front.

Anyway, I can now go online, so I look forward to some co-op soon!

Jac_Solar

I just bought a Vita, so I'm not sure -- but is it possible to enter in a Vita PSN game code somewhere and see what it is without using it up?

Kazzy

I just bought a Vita, so I'm not sure -- but is it possible to enter in a Vita PSN game code somewhere and see what it is?

If it's redeemable, sure. Just enter it in the PSN store and you'll be given a receipt of what it is. It'll only be "redeemed" once you confirm the download.

Jac_Solar

Try the store. just don't push redeem button after it.

If it's redeemable, sure. Just enter it in the PSN store and you'll be given a receipt of what it is. It'll only be "redeemed" once you confirm the download.

Thanks.

EDIT: Reason I was asking is because I got a mail from the store I ordered Soul Sacrifice from. They told me that the code for the additional content in Soul Sacrifice had been mixed up, and it was actually a code for the game itself. They gave me the correct code and a Little Big Planet code as an apology as well. That's great service! I received it a couple of days ago but I haven't played it yet.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but because I held off on playing the demo, I think I may not be privy to some of the nuance.

• Am I right in thinking that the boss encounters are damage cushions? I've been playing SP so far, and I've noticed that they can become quite drawn out. I guess it doesn't help that the AI can be a liability, to put it mildly!

• Is there an effective way to gauge an enemies weakness? I've simply been resorting to spamming every spell I have equipped, and just waiting for the prompt. I also haven't really experimented with any of the shield spells yet, but can anyone vouch for their usefulness?

• My main spells have been the Axe and a couple of the Homing elementals so far, but I assume that I'll have to start repeating certain missions if I want to start upgrading them? The drops haven't been too kind on that front.

Anyway, I can now go online, so I look forward to some co-op soon!

The single player bosses can definitely seem like huge damage sponges if you don't know their weakness or your spells are too weak. The only way to prevent battles with bosses who have no weakness from taking forever is to level up and get better spells.

The best way to find out an enemy's weakness is to equip a spell of each element, and use each one on them in the quest you are about to do. When you find out their weakness, it should say something along the lines of "vulnerability achieved" in the upper right corner. Then quit out of the quest and tailor your loadout to its weakness. A lot of bosses don't have weaknesses unfortunately.

Yes, if you really need to upgrade a spell you like you simply just need to replay the quests that give you them. Thats the quickest way to do it.

Menchi

I'm probably going to have a code for Fifa later to trade, for a pre-order code if anyone would like to?

Also, did anyone else find it a little disappointing that you can read all about the bosses before you've seen them in the Lore section? I didn't read it, but it was a surprise seeing them all there.

I'm probably going to have a code for Fifa later to trade, for a pre-order code if anyone would like to?

Also, did anyone else find it a little disappointing that you can read all about the bosses before you've seen them in the Lore section? I didn't read it, but it was a surprise seeing them all there.

Its a little disappointing that you can read their names and get a general idea of what they will be like... but it still leaves a lot to the imagination.

Grinchy

Banned
Unlocking some of these Avalon Pacts can be tricky. Who knew you had to go back to Pact I and redo the Harpy quest to unlock the next set of quests for IV?
I didn't know it at first how any of the locked missions worked either. It's all explained by these arrows I think:
f0KdEQ6.jpg

It shows you which quest will unlock the next ones.

Ephemeris

I bought the game a couple days ago, but I'm still playing the demo. Does the save carry over right away? Or do I have to complete the demo first?

Thanks!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Also make sure that your using your minds eye and use the enviromental offerings to rechare while fighting. If you break the spell during the quesy you have to renew it with Lacrima, if you keep it charged and dont let it break it will refresh when the quest is over.

Each offering is different though, some of the more powerful spells only have a few uses, where the weaker ones tend to have allot more.

Also sacrificing trash mobs will recharge your spells aswell.

Thanks for the tips man!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Cerberus down. I think I'm starting to get the hang of things.

I bought the game a couple days ago, but I'm still playing the demo. Does the save carry over right away? Or do I have to complete the demo first?

Thanks!
Carriers over wherever. Just start a new game in the retail version and it'll ask if you'd like to import your demo data.

Abylim

Add me to the list! Abylim (EU)

Going dark, but semi balanced. Going 40/40 to begin with, but will end up 11/89 or some variant.

Bummed about the dlc. No pre order stuff for me, even with digital. Ohwell, rocking my outfit anyways.

wilflare

Doesn't seem like it which is a shame.

Just wondering: can you really sacrifice Magusar during story missions?

He's really slowing my Cerberus farming down as he just keeps dying most of the time.

I need help with roaming Cerberus :O

EDIT: is it me or is Homing Magic really weak? I've upgraded them to (M) Single/Double Star.. and they don't seem to freeze the boss much

Number45

Eu here and got em. Trick is you need to add preorder licenses separately to get them from peddler. Click the psn store link in soul sacrifice window. Should list network pass and 2 other packs. After that you can get them from peddler.
Thanks, I thought I'd find the stuff on my DL list but there was nothing there. Downloaded now, hopefully that'll do the trick. :)

I bought a Vita on Thursday to get this game. I've only played a little bit so far but it's awesome. It feels a lot like Phantom Dust, that old Xbox exclusive that came out around 10 years ago.

I'm only through the first set of missions, right when you unlock network play. I can't wait to get into it more.

ZeroAKA

I need help with roaming Cerberus :O

EDIT: is it me or is Homing Magic really weak? I've upgraded them to (M) Single/Double Star.. and they don't seem to freeze the boss much
I've found that the homing offerings are the best ways to inflict status ailments. Everything else takes way too long. What's a roaming Cerberus?

wilflare

I've found that the homing offerings are the best ways to inflict status ailments. Everything else takes way too long. What's a roaming Cerberus?

weird... there must be something very wrong with my configuration :/
Roaming Cerberus is the one that does not spawn (it's there the moment you start the level)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Actually Carpets (Blankets) are the fastest way to inflict status ailments. Put 3 of them under the boss and even the high star ones (9-10) should go to elemental hell.

ZeroAKA

Roaming Cerberus is the one that does not spawn (it's there the moment you start the level)
The one in story mode? I thought you beat it already?

Actually Carpets (Blankets) are the fastest way to inflict status ailments. Put 3 of them under the boss and even the high star ones (9-10) should go to elemental hell.
Never used a Blanket before, but I haven't needed to either. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Never used a Blanket before, but I haven't needed to either. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
I've never thought about using one before I tried doing the "inflict 5 (?) status ailments to a boss monster during one quest, after which I always take one with me.

Grinchy

Banned

I find that the tri roots do a great job of doing it. I just run up close so that all 3 of the branching roots hit at the same time, and I spam it instead of charging it. It goes really quick that way for me.

wilflare

I beat it the first time.. and it runs away.. now I have to fight and kill it for sure :/

I find that the tri roots do a great job of doing it. I just run up close so that all 3 of the branching roots hit at the same time, and I spam it instead of charging it. It goes really quick that way for me.

hmm. I use the single roots one since they do more damage.. but guess I should change things around.

If you are looking for high damage and elemental hell then the Bulb Bombs are also very effective.

I am not sure I like that the game puts such an emphasis on going chaos. All of the weapon type modifiers give bonuses for dark arms and divine arms get shield bonus :/ oh the life of a support character. I did equip the sentinel sigil II last night during the dual Wyvern fight with Agent, Cinnabon, and cyborg and used a lot of monsternip and bulb bombs to draw attention from them and set traps. Then the others were free to do their thing. It worked extremely well I thought.

Drame

Harpy has to be most annoying boss fight.

The vacuum just keeps on going if there's no normal monster on the map G_G and sometimes I just can't get behind some wall to counter it.

So, any tips? Stuck at the first chapter of the memories remain...

Harpy has to be most annoying boss fight.

The vacuum just keeps on going if there's no normal monster on the map G_G and sometimes I just can't get behind some wall to counter it.

So, any tips? Stuck at the first chapter of the memories remain...

If you make sure you have one offering slot reserved for one of the spells that turns you into a huge boulder then you can use that to counter it. You can't be inhaled while transformed and hitting the Harpy will cancel the vacuum.

If you make sure you have one offering slot reserved for one of the spells that turns you into a huge boulder then you can use that to counter it. You can't be inhaled while transformed and hitting the Harpy will cancel the vacuum.

There is another way too, with small enemies around, the harpy will suck them and you can hit at will.

Slimes now bow before me it seems. Combo of a blanket and a summon, and then spam some ranged attacks, and they go down fast.

Just have to remember to kill/counter/bonus attack some trash mobs to boot my score to get easy divines.

SharkJAW

This resolute sigil is glorious, assuming there aren't multiples of 4 minions constantly being spawned while fighting an arch fiend. It pretty much guarantees a divine ranking on a quest. Gonna use it to level up for a while.

Drame

Thanks, didn't know that you could counter it that way.

Just beat it. Went full on nuke and used almost everything, phew! These quests are pretty tough.

kiyomi

admiralvic at GAF has this game done :O

lol @ 4:30 AM. Congrats, admiralvic. :3

Me said:
This morning I got the non-story related hidden trophy
'Use What You Can'
but I have no idea why. Reading the description, it doesn't seem like I met those criteria at all. Is the trophy popping a bug or is the description misleading?

Anyone?

Is this really with getting? I have a Vita and have been looking for a new game for it, as it has been collecting dust.

However, I wasn't ever a big Monster Hunter fan,so I dunno if this is for me.

Top Bottom