• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Is this really with getting? I have a Vita and have been looking for a new game for it, as it has been collecting dust.

However, I wasn't ever a big Monster Hunter fan,so I dunno if this is for me.

A thousand times yes. You don't need to be a Monster Hunter fan to enjoy this. Do you like Demon's/Dark Souls?

Zemm

The demons/dark souls comparison is even worse than the monster hunter one, but there's a large demo so he should try it himself.

A thousand times yes. You don't need to be a Monster Hunter fan to enjoy this. Do you like Demon's/Dark Souls?

I really wouldn't tell people that if they liked Dark/Demon's Souls that they'd like this.

There's a really simple solution though -- play the demo -- unfortunately, since he slept on playing the demo, he won't be able to try the online... but at least he can get a feel for the tone and gameplay to see if it's something he's interested in.

By all means, this is one of my favorite games of this generation and possibly ever (the Souls games are as well and I'm beyond amped for Dark Souls 2), but I wouldn't make that comparison.

--

Other guy I didn't quote:
To screenshot, press PS Home button + Start at the same time.

PS Button + Start.

Thanks, that's weird! The description doesn't match at all.. :/

Let Dr. Frost educate you here, as the description sucks ass.

To get the trophy you're referring to you need to:
(1) Renew your offerings off an environmental object, like the trees or the tombstones or whatever.
(2) Pull a spell from an environmental object.
(3) Sacrifice a teammate.
(4) Use your black rite.

The trophy implies you have to have 0 offerings equipped (I did) but I know people (Cyborg009) who got it without doing that. As to whether all his offerings were broken or not, I don't know.
I posted a mini guide somewhere in this thread about how to do it easily on one of the later chapters of the single player story (on the second Cerberus fight).

The demons/dark souls comparison is even worse than the monster hunter one, but there's a large demo so he should try it himself.

Well, there are only a few similarities between them, yet I think most people who like Dark Souls would like this game.

Hanmik

lol @ 4:30 AM. Congrats, admiralvic. :3

Anyone?

That trophy is easy enough.

Play the second avalon pact and bring an ally, bring an ally that never heals himself, like remtor he always dies. And have blood cannon with you as a spell.
- activate minds eye.
- go over to a level spell and activate it.
- activate minds eye.
- go over to a renew offerings place. And activate it.
- use blood cannon untill you can activate your black rite.
- activate black rite.
- run around so that all the remaining enemies appear.
- run away from the monsters.
- and then watch your ally die.
- run over and sacrifice him.
- tada you got the trophy.

That trophy is easy enough.

Play the second avalon pact and bring an ally, bring an ally that never heals himself, like remtor he always dies. And have blood cannon with you as a spell.
- activate minds eye.
- go over to a level spell and activate it.
- activate minds eye.
- go over to a renew offerings place. And activate it.
- use blood cannon untill you can activate your black rite.
- activate black rite.
- run around so that all the remaining enemies appear.
- run away from the monsters.
- and then watch your ally die.
- run over and sacrifice him.
- tada you got the trophy.

It's easier on the single player story pacts that already have a downed ally.
With the Cerberus one I recommended in my mini guide, there's already a sacrifice candidate down and dying as you start... so you run to him, grabbing the shield from the environment on the way, sacrifice him, run to renew your offerings at a corpse pile then use any blood spell (or the time sands) to drop your life so you can cast black rite.

--

Just created a room, plan on working on Avalon XIII.
Anyone welcome, just bring your A game. ;)

room name: GAF
password: 369

I'll wait for about 10-15 minutes before I just go public and recruit randoms... o_O

Hanmik

It's easier on the single player story pacts that already have a downed ally.
With the Cerberus one I recommended in my mini guide, there's already a sacrifice candidate down and dying as you start... so you run to him, grabbing the shield from the environment on the way, sacrifice him, run to renew your offerings at a corpse pile then use any blood spell (or the time sands) to drop your life so you can cast black rite.

Lol I thought you had to do it on an Avalon pact, like the trophy said.. Lol

Then yours is much easier..

Zemm

Well, there are only a few similarities between them, yet I think most people who like Dark Souls would like this game.

Only the art really (which I find amazing). Personally I think the sequel should copy more stuff from Demon's Souls. Keep the combat mechanics the same, but structure the levels as worlds (1-3, 4-1 and so on) and make them bigger. Have Avalon be a "Nexus" where all the archfiends you save can wonder around and where the player can talk to them, level up and so on. Add armor - not just one costume you can show/hide the hood of, but separate pieces you can mix and match, helms, chests, legs, boots, rings. Add a PvP arena, doesn't have to be competitive, doesn't even have to be balanced, just let friends 1v1 or 2v2 or even 1v1v1v1 for fun. I think that would make SS2 unbelievably good if they keep the gameplay mostly the same.

kiyomi

Let Dr. Frost educate you here, as the description sucks ass.

To get the trophy you're referring to you need to:
(1) Renew your offerings off an environmental object, like the trees or the tombstones or whatever.
(2) Pull a spell from an environmental object.
(3) Sacrifice a teammate.
(4) Use your black rite.

The trophy implies you have to have 0 offerings equipped (I did) but I know people (Cyborg009) who got it without doing that. As to whether all his offerings were broken or not, I don't know.

Thanks, Corrosive.

When I got it, all my offerings were fine. That's what confused me, since it makes it sound like you need to have nothing equipped in the slots. Maybe it just means you just don't have to have a sacrifice active? I think I did (1) when I got it, but that certainly wasn't the first time I renewed my offerings. Odd. It's not a problem I guess, just an obscurity..

yes! beat the dual elven queens solo. finally!

it sucks that i missed out on getting it done last night, but whatever. it wasn't pretty, but i got it done.

Only the art really (which I find amazing). Personally I think the sequel should copy more stuff from Demon's Souls. Keep the combat mechanics the same, but structure the levels as worlds (1-3, 4-1 and so on) and make them bigger. Have Avalon be a "Nexus" where all the archfiends you save can wonder around and where the player can talk to them, level up and so on. Add armor - not just one costume you can show/hide the hood of, but separate pieces you can mix and match, helms, chests, legs, boots, rings. Add a PvP arena, doesn't have to be competitive, doesn't even have to be balanced, just let friends 1v1 or 2v2 or even 1v1v1v1 for fun. I think that would make SS2 unbelievably good if they keep the gameplay mostly the same.

I was referring to the art style, the overall theme of the world (with the demons, magic and ghosts), and how the characters move.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are there any particular weapons/attacks I should be farming for? I have a ton right now, but a bit overwhelming

Holy crap, people are blazing through this game. I might need to find a group that moves a little slower lol. Playing with corrosive and agent will be too easy now for the Avalons I am on still.

I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU). As much as I love the game, I'm having a hard time finding the time to play it (huge backlog, student, other hobbies, etc.) - Also, I love Demon's/Dark Souls.

Do I get this game?

Holy crap, people are blazing through this game. I might need to find a group that moves a little slower lol. Playing with corrosive and agent will be too easy now for the Avalons I am on still.

no! i like teaming up with you.

besides the stuff i'm on is tough to be doing by myself so i can help catch you up, and then you can help me.

Mr E.

I was referring to the art style, the overall theme of the world (with the demons, magic and ghosts), and how the characters move.
Still, recomending this to those who love Demon Souls based on those very loose links is wrong.

A demon souls player expecting a similar game would be dissapointed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU). As much as I love the game, I'm having a hard time finding the time to play it (huge backlog, student, other hobbies, etc.) - Also, I love Demon's/Dark Souls.

Do I get this game?

This is nothing like Monster Hunter... or dark Souls... not sure why those are mentioned. if you don't have time for it, then why ask us? We can't create time for you.

OmegaZero

I'd play with you guys, but my roommate is using the 'net again for a research essay. :(
On the plus side, I'm 11 levels away from 90/1.

I'd play with you guys, but my roommate is using the 'net again for a research essay. :(
On the plus side, I'm 11 levels away from 90/1.

How do you even do this unless you play online all the time?

What? I was actually interested when I thought it was like MH :|

The gameplay is a bit similar in that you go on missions with friends and take down monsters, then use their drops to make yourself stronger. There is a vast amount of elements that make it different, though.

Is the fastest way to level up from that Hydra quest in story mode? Takes less than 2 minutes for +75.

I'm going to guess the best way is to find the highest level shade collection quest there is and just farm enemies that will contiously spawn until you collect shards. I need to do this myself so I can catch up to agent and frost.

ZeroAKA

Made it 4 games without getting a network error, new record for me. I can't wait to go home and actually have reliable connection again. >.>

OmegaZero

I'm going to guess the best way is to find the highest level shade collection quest there is and just farm enemies that will contiously spawn until you collect shards. I need to do this myself so I can catch up to agent and frost.

IIRC, the highest level quest only gives you 7 points per kill. At the level I am now, that barely makes a dent in the level bar.
I'm guessing this is where you'd use those Amplification sigils to boost the chances of you getting a Divine/Good/Berserk/Evil soul.

meh, I was debating looking for a cheap used Vita to try it but fuck it now. I'll play the PS4 HD remake or something.
At least watch some footage of it if you haven't already. It still is in the same vein of Monster Hunter, Ragnarok Odyssey, God Eater, etc.

So then what's the draw of this game?

Online co-op is really fun, plus you can join a group voice chat from the Vita's menu if you don't want to use the game's chat functions. It's better to communicate that way.

The game also has a narrative with interesting side stories that can last you about 8-10 hours.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
hahaha, you forgot to tell what element to bring, and i had mostly fire.
thanks duder! that was fun. fedex is here, gotta go :)

vis-a-vis monster hunter, it's sort of similar once you actually encounter a monster in MH. the battles are faster paced though for sure and involve teamwork to take down big bad guys. then you get loot and you craft new loot and you go again. it's not totally dissimilar imo.

Mileena

Banned
Online co-op is really fun, plus you can join a group voice chat from the Vita's menu if you don't want to use the game's chat functions. It's better to communicate that way.

The game also has a narrative with interesting side stories that can last you about 8-10 hours.

Be honest, is the combat shallow compared to MH? Narrative/story means nothing to me and watching videos is never like actually playing it. I liked MH because it took me at least 100 hours to not be bad. Now at 250+ I think I'm pretty decent :p

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I finally have time to sit down and start this, I have been excited for it since I first saw videos of it last year. It looks like it will be a perfect hop in hop out Vita game that I can also lose myself in for long periods of time if needed.

Be honest, is the combat shallow compared to MH? Narrative/story means nothing to me and watching videos is never like actually playing it. I liked MH because it took me at least 100 hours to not be bad. Now at 250+ I think I'm pretty decent :p

Coming from someone who put in 300 hours in MH3U (and still going), Soul Sacrifice's combat may not have the depth of MH in terms of combat, but it is far from shallow. There were a lot of moments in the game where I had a tough time, and I haven't even reached the higher level quests yet (think of it as the "G Rank" quests). You can't button mash in this game, you actually need a specific loadout of spells and equipped sigils (augments your powers and such) to exploit enemy weaknesses.

I've been playing MH since the PS2 iteration and I've always given other "MH like" experiences a chance, some have been good and most have been bad. SS is really good.

In Soul Sacrifice, choosing the right spells and loadout for a job and using them effectively is what the gameplay is about. Of course, you must learn the enemy movements as well.

Shallow is the last thing I would call this game. You choose 6 different spells for each mission and you must use them tactically. In my save I have unlocked at least 30 different spell types. You are always looking to play as fast and efficient as possible all while trying to achieve badges which earn you more spells.

It is hard to compare the two beyond "they are both hunting games" but do I think it is shallow compared to MH? Not at all.

Top Bottom