• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

ZeroAKA

I'm confirming it now: Seadevil scale is the best spell in the game. Goddamn. It even cancels out Hydra's poison air/Phoenix fire air so you can get away with using the resolute sigil without worrying about bullshit unavoidable air status ailment causers.
What does it do, and where do you get it from?

SharkJAW

It slows down everything in the arena to a snail's pace, including you unless you use the ice amulet, effectively slowing down time if you want to take more advantage of openings for monsters or create ones for monsters that don't normally have them. You get it from Leviathan. Disadvantage is it takes 2 slots to use properly, but if you have a high damage output those 2 slots are put to extremely good use.

OmegaZero

I'm confirming it now: Seadevil scale is the best spell in the game. Goddamn. It even cancels out Hydra's poison air/Phoenix fire air so you can get away with using the resolute sigil without worrying about bullshit unavoidable air status ailment causers.

Although, it take up two offering slots to use effectively. But that doesn't really matter for us 1/99-ers. We get 750 with the resolute sigil, so just about any (L) egg or throwing spell does the job.

Agreed.
To address the the need for two offering slots, my friends and I devised a strategy where I just equip and use the scales while my 1/99 friends equip the ice armor. They get a free slot and I get to be more useful as a 99/1. :D

Grinchy

Banned
lol so I'm about to fight cerb, and in the cutscene at the beginning where Magusar is talking and I can't move, one of the birds shocks the shit out of me and takes ~40% of my health

spannicus

Agreed.
To address the the need for two offering slots, my friends and I devised a strategy where I just equip and use the scales while my 1/99 friends equip the ice armor. They get a free slot and I get to be more useful as a 99/1. :D

Omega Im going for 99/1 is it worth it and do you regret not goin the other route?

OmegaZero

Omega Im going for 99/1 is it worth it and do you regret not goin the other route?

I'd say it's worth it if you enjoy playing a support role. Drawing boss aggro, taking hits, healing, and stunning bosses. If you want to kill things quicker, then 1/99 is the way to go.

Cosmetically, I think it's really ugly and wish I could at least customize some part of it, but at least it's not as ugly as 1/99.

CrovaxPSO

Quick Join seems to be random. Try to find a room that has a more descriptive title ("Innocence") and avoid "Serious Players" rooms.

The default room name is just chosen at random from a list (why they do this, I have no idea). Last night I was looking specifically for rooms doing VII or VIII and so I looked for those names. Every room I joined was people doing something else. I tested it myself and just kept going into the create room menu and sure enough, the name just gets picked randomly. For example, someone might make a room without putting in their own room name and it gets Recursion even though they're going to be doing level I pacts.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've only spent about 7 hours in the game, but those 7 hours have mainly been grinding the first few sections to level up some of my spells to turn them into higher versions of those spells. I'm technically still in the first Avalon Pacts section.

I'm usually not one to get into grind heavy games, but there's something really satisfying about boosting my skills, then fusing them into more skills, then boosting those. I haven't played online yet, because I'm mainly a single player gamer, but I'm really enjoying the game. I may have to put it on the backburner for a bit, though, as I didn't realize how time intensive the game was going to be, and I'm much closer to completing Persona 4 than I am to completing this. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, that's for sure.

spannicus

I'd say it's worth it if you enjoy playing a support role. Drawing boss aggro, taking hits, healing, and stunning bosses. If you want to kill things quicker, then 1/99 is the way to go.

Cosmetically, I think it's really ugly and wish I could at least customize some part of it, but at least it's not as ugly as 1/99.
hehe I connected with u yesterday but i couldnt press ready. How come your costume looks different than the one with the mask or outfit thingy.

Although, it take up two offering slots to use effectively. But that doesn't really matter for us 1/99-ers. We get 750 with the resolute sigil, so just about any (L) egg or throwing spell does the job.

Does that means most of our standard crew now needs to cary the Ice armor? ;)

Zemm

I'm at the very end of the story and I haven't grinded a single time, I don't expect or plan to grind a multiplayer pact over and over for XP or spells either (will just play whatever people pick/I feel like), the game is only as grindy as you make it. Currently at 10/19 in levels.

btkadams

Trial and error, or use a guide. I have 10 loadouts saved, 5 of which are focused on just a single element.

Quick Join seems to be random. Try to find a room that has a more descriptive title ("Innocence") and avoid "Serious Players" rooms.

thanks for the responsse! i'll hit up the guide later. as for trial and error, i honestly can't even tell if a move is weak on an enemy. i have no idea how you're supposed to tell. i wish it had a little text pop up as each attack hits that says "WEAK" or "STRONG" if it's the right type match-up. in other RPGs, you can usually guess what an enemy's type is based on appearance, but it's hard in this game when every enemy is some mutilated animal or vegetable lol.

Zemm

thanks for the responsse! i'll hit up the guide later. as for trial and error, i honestly can't even tell if a move is weak on an enemy. i have no idea how you're supposed to tell. i wish it had a little text pop up as each attack hits that says "WEAK" or "STRONG" if it's the right type match-up. in other RPGs, you can usually guess what an enemy's type is based on appearance, but it's hard in this game when every enemy is some mutilated animal or vegetable lol.

There is a pop up, it says something like "Archfiend Vulnerability + 50" when you hit them with an element they are weak too.

btkadams

There is a pop up, it says something like "Archfiend Vulnerability + 50" when you hit them with an element they are weak too.
thank you for telling me!! i felt like i was missing something obvious haha and it seems that was the case.

thank you for telling me!! i felt like i was missing something obvious haha and it seems that was the case.

It works the same on grunts, but the popup is "Vulnerability +40".

Someone like Harpy would be hard to tell on, but when you look at Jack OL, the dude is on fire, you should try ice. Cerberus barks lightning and has a lightning spear ground attack so you should try ice. Some are hard to guess, like the Elven Queen, but a lot are pretty easy to guess (Phoenix is fire, so use ice; Hydra is poison, so use fire; etc.)

Remember:

ICE > LIGHTNING > STONE > VENOM > FIRE > ICE

btkadams

Someone like Harpy would be hard to tell on, but when you look at Jack OL, the dude is on fire, you should try ice. Cerberus barks lightning and has a lightning spear ground attack so you should try ice. Some are hard to guess, like the Elven Queen, but a lot are pretty easy to guess (Phoenix is fire, so use ice; Hydra is poison, so use fire; etc.)

Remember:

thanks for this, especially the last part since i didn't even know all of the types, let alone what they are good against. lightning is good against stone and venom is good against fire? that seems odd.

SharkJAW

thanks for this, especially the last part since i didn't even know all of the types, let alone what they are good against. lightning is good against stone and venom is good against fire? that seems odd.
It's the other way around. He listed it as x is weak to y is weak to z, etc.

More Seadevil scale praise: the non-upgraded (L) version can be cast back to back for up to 80 seconds of slowdown. Time to farm leviathan.

mauaus

thats because when you see a venomous spider the first thing you should think of is "OH MY GOD! KILL IT WITH FIRE"

btkadams

It's the other way around. He listed it as x is weak to y is weak to z, etc.

More Seadevil scale praise: the non-upgraded (L) version can be cast back to back for up to 80 seconds of slowdown. Time to farm leviathan.
oh, it's the other way around? so fire is weak to ice, but ice is not weak to fire? alright!
thats because when you see a venomous spider the first thing you should think of is "OH MY GOD! KILL IT WITH FIRE"
well, that's what i thought, but i was thinking that corrosivefrost meant that venom was good against fire. my mistake!

I haven't even gotten my copy yet and you guys are already rounding up for the platinum? lolol, I had it shipped to my parents place since I don't trust shipping to our apartment in the city... UGH I wanna play the game so bad!

oh, it's the other way around? so fire is weak to ice, but ice is not weak to fire? alright!

well, that's what i thought, but i was thinking that corrosivefrost meant that venom was good against fire. my mistake!

Sorry, that gets a little complex.
Some bosses have a "water" type almost. Like Leviathan or Kraken. So they're weak to lightning. There is one archfiend I can think of that's obviously ice instead of water (Jack Frost) and he's weak to fire, I believe.
But the general rules are as I posted ... if you put something in Frozen Hell with ice attacks, you hit it with lightning to get the massive damage "skillful attack". If you petrify something into Petrified Hell, you slap it with venom to get the bonus. If you do Venemous Hell, fire is your breaking element. Infernal Hell is broken with ice and Shocking Hell is broken with stone.

Shark, you want some company for Leviathan farming?
I want more of those things you're farming as well as more Ice Thorn (L).

Ken

Is multiplayer the ideal way to gain levels/offerings quickly?

Eh, I'm at a point where I can solo most things in a minute or two, while online might take 5 minutes or more thanks to health scaling. Really depends on where you're at and what build you are but seeing as how online loot doesn't change I think the ideal way is whatever is most efficient for you.

Leviathan is pretty boring. Is the only way to damage him when he swipes with his head?

I've only spent about 7 hours in the game, but those 7 hours have mainly been grinding the first few sections to level up some of my spells to turn them into higher versions of those spells. I'm technically still in the first Avalon Pacts section.

I'm usually not one to get into grind heavy games, but there's something really satisfying about boosting my skills, then fusing them into more skills, then boosting those. I haven't played online yet, because I'm mainly a single player gamer, but I'm really enjoying the game. I may have to put it on the backburner for a bit, though, as I didn't realize how time intensive the game was going to be, and I'm much closer to completing Persona 4 than I am to completing this. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, that's for sure.

This is a terrible idea an a complete waste of time. Boosting spells only really increases their number of casts, not their power as far as I know. It's only really a good idea for those spells that have either 1 or 2 casts. Otherwise don't bother. Also more powerful offering you get later in the game have both a higher number of casts AND more power. It's a total waste of time to boost (S) offerings IMO. Plus they count as one when you fuse them for something else.

Remember:

You mean stone. Cerberus being lighting based is weak to stone. Jack Frost is obviously weak to thunder.

Ken

If you boost a 3* spell with another 3* spell you get the next tier of that spell, but it's still a bad idea to do this early on since later quests can just award you with the higher tier spell as a reward, instead of you having to farm 16 of the same item.

Also venom beats stone which beats lightning.

Eh, I'm at a point where I can solo most things in a minute or two, while online might take 5 minutes or more thanks to health scaling. Really depends on where you're at and what build you are but seeing as how online loot doesn't change I think the ideal way is whatever is most efficient for you.

Leviathan is pretty boring. Is the only way to damage him when he swipes with his head?

Online can be handy for getting high ranked offerings way before you should be getting them in single player, unless you are suicidal.

If you boost a 3* spell with another 3* spell you get the next tier of that spell, but it's still a bad idea to do this early on since later quests can just award you with the higher tier spell as a reward, instead of you having to farm 16 of the same item.

I did not know that. Might be a good idea for those Regenesis Seeds. You need one to make the area healing spell and I haven't seen the (M) or (L) versions anywhere. You just need to farm Sortiara for 2 which takes like 30 seconds. I'll definitely go for the M, the L seems like too much work.

Anyone know any other way to get it?

Avalon X. Complete Griffon+Phoenix fight.

Then sacrifice the elven queen.

I did not know that. Might be a good idea for those Regenesis Seeds. You need one to make the area healing spell and I haven't seen the (M) or (L) versions anywhere. You just need to farm Sortiara for 2 which takes like 30 seconds. I'll definitely go for the M, the L seems like too much work.

Anyone know any other way to get it?

Play late Avalon pacts.

aLLrMlp.png

Thats one of the loading screens someone took a screenshot of a few pages back that I cropped.

so close to taking down dual illecebra solo, and then...tentacles. anyone want to help?

i love that avalon x. is mostly done, but because of dual illecebra avalon ix. is only half done. who ever decided this is a good branch point is evil.

so close to taking down dual illecebra solo, and then...tentacles. anyone want to help?

i love that avalon x. is mostly done, but because of dual illecebra avalon ix. is only half done. who ever decided this is a good branch point is evil.

Invite me.
You can do some major damage if we use Swimmy Time with the Ice Armor.

What happens if you do this with (L) versions? Nothing I assume, but I just thought I'd ask.

Vee_One

Any good noob resources for this?
I have just started playing and I am up to the 6th quest (just downed the harpy). I am absolutely awful at this game? Any tips on magic I should use or grind for?

Level 30/20 and Cerberus is still a pain in the ass.

I fought it in Magusar story, with Magusar and a random guy that was fallen at the start, and I had to revive them like 50 times.

Also, even being divine, and with the defense sigil, that stupid dog was doing 25% of damage with each hit.

I needed half an hour to kill it.

wilflare

Level 30/20 and Cerberus is still a pain in the ass.

I fought it in Magusar story, with Magusar and a random guy that was fallen at the start, and I had to revive them like 50 times.

Also, even being divine, and with the defense sigil, that stupid dog was doing 25% of damage with each hit.

I needed half an hour to kill it.

I know that feels...
a moment the game makes you feel like I can do all hero.. the next moment it slaps you down in the face

Top Bottom