• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

ijed

Blood magic really is pointless.

I just feel it would have been better if it left a sort of bleed effect so your health didn't disappear it left a red bar (like in Mon Hun) and if you were hit you lost it otherwise it slowly regen'd. Also the lack of blood magic is disappointing. 4 whole spells, none ranged? It was a nice concept but severely imbalanced.

What pisses me off the most is you don't get counters when you use it :(

Ken

some tips for the
final magusar battle..? the dragon form.
pretty please..?

I equipped the dragon sigils, ran up and set a golem, and melee'd him a lot.

I'm getting a little bored with the game. Not super into their loot system of farming monsters endlessly for one drop per run that appears to be independent of performance and is entirely RNG-based. And then there's not being able to use extra essence for anything which really stinks.

Munkyspace

Could someone please enlighten me on soul/life shards? Aside from the "Collect x Shards" missions, what do they do?

Sorry if noobish.

You have to go back to Avalon I and fight the Harpy again. Do the opposite of what you did last time (sac/save). It's fucking weird.

This isn't quite right. You have to sacrifice the Harpy, this will open up a Centaur quest on Avalon I, you need to SACRIFICE the Centaur. I kept doing the Harpy and nothing was happening because I had saved that damned Centaur.

Doing that will open up the Centaur quest in Avalon IV.

Grinchy

Banned
This isn't quite right. You have to sacrifice the Harpy, this will open up a Centaur quest on Avalon I, you need to SACRIFICE the Centaur. I kept doing the Harpy and nothing was happening because I had saved that damned Centaur.

Doing that will open up the Centaur quest in Avalon IV.

Nice correction. I guess since I had already sac'd the Centaur, it seemed like I only needed to re-do the Harpy.

I still don't understand what they were thinking with this, though.

Number45

I feel like I'm screwing up my chances of getting some companions... I'm sacrificing every single archfiend I come up against. At the moment all of my allies have either left me or are dead from sacrifice. :p

I feel like I'm screwing up my chances of getting some companions... I'm sacrificing every single archfiend I come up against. At the moment all of my allies have either left me or are dead from sacrifice. :p

Time to buy them all back with lacrima.

Helpful hint: If you know you're going to sacrifice an archfiend, only take AI partners who have neutral or dark arms. Conversely, if you're going to save, take only divine or neutral.

Divine arms will become "lost" if you sacrifice an archfiend with them present.
Dark arms will become "lost" if you save and archfiend with them present.

Number45

Do I lose anything by not having them around? I'm already making my choices based on "who is the least likely to fuck up my attack animations?".

Any reason not to pick neutral allies all the time?

The way I do it, if I'm using AI, that is, is to pick the allies that I think have the best tools for the job. Sometimes, I have an ally who has a better spell for the job and they're dark arm but I intend to save. That might be worth paying the lacrima. But otherwise, I do tend to stick to neutral so I can build affinity and unlock better spells for the companions I use the most. Sometimes the spell choices make you switch it up though and since you probably have a good idea what you will do to the archfiend when you down them, you can effectively double the pool of selectable AI that you won't have to re-recruit after you finish.

Do I lose anything by not having them around? I'm already making my choices based on "who is the least likely to fuck up my attack animations?".

Not really, only access to their spell loadouts. If you don't like their spell loadout, you can just leave them lost. No reason to pay to get them back unless you want them around.

ZeroAKA

Random observation: if you have a Neutral ally who has no healing offerings, he/she will steal your kills and save them to gain back HP. I'm sure the same applies to Divine allies with no healing offerings, but I only use Neutral allies.

wilflare

seems like I'm not at a level where I can comfortable defeat Magusar lol

I equipped the dragon sigils, ran up and set a golem, and melee'd him a lot.

I'm getting a little bored with the game. Not super into their loot system of farming monsters endlessly for one drop per run that appears to be independent of performance and is entirely RNG-based. And then there's not being able to use extra essence for anything which really stinks.

how do I get the said Sigil though. Dragon Sigil

Level 30/20 and Cerberus is still a pain in the ass.

I fought it in Magusar story, with Magusar and a random guy that was fallen at the start, and I had to revive them like 50 times.

Also, even being divine, and with the defense sigil, that stupid dog was doing 25% of damage with each hit.

I needed half an hour to kill it.

The secret is using the Stone Wall. Cerberus will run into it and be stunned. At first its a really long stun, and it gets shorter and shorter. I could get in a full 'arm' long-press attack to cut off a cursed part.

I just spammed long range eggs/arrows, let Cerberus kill enemy monsters, only revived Magusar (to let off some heat).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The way I do it, if I'm using AI, that is, is to pick the allies that I think have the best tools for the job. Sometimes, I have an ally who has a better spell for the job and they're dark arm but I intend to save. That might be worth paying the lacrima. But otherwise, I do tend to stick to neutral so I can build affinity and unlock better spells for the companions I use the most. Sometimes the spell choices make you switch it up though and since you probably have a good idea what you will do to the archfiend when you down them, you can effectively double the pool of selectable AI that you won't have to re-recruit after you finish.
I'll probably just stick to Neutral allies, as affinity seems to take a really long time to level up.

Random observation: if you have a Neutral ally who has no healing offerings, he/she will steal your kills and save them to gain back HP. I'm sure the same applies to Divine allies with no healing offerings, but I only use Neutral allies.
I first noticed this in the Sorcerer Werewolf fight. The rescued ally was constantly running around and saving/sacrificing everything I was putting down.

ZeroAKA

how do I get the said Sigil though. Dragon Sigil
You don't need it. Just use attack boosting sigils.

I first noticed this in the Sorcerer Werewolf fight. The rescued ally was constantly running around and saving/sacrificing everything I was putting down.
I didn't notice that until yesterday. I've been wondering what happened to all of the kills that I left lying around on the field...

Blood magic really is pointless.

I just feel it would have been better if it left a sort of bleed effect so your health didn't disappear it left a red bar (like in Mon Hun) and if you were hit you lost it otherwise it slowly regen'd. Also the lack of blood magic is disappointing. 4 whole spells, none ranged? It was a nice concept but severely imbalanced.

You have to make a build specifically for it though. A divine build with lots of healing and the appropriate sigils seems like would work well with blood magic, since you regain life when you save grunts. For a dark build they do seem pointless yes.

Question. After you defeat Magusar, can you fight him again? I need to know before I save. Feel free to spoiler the answer.

A nice touch is that
your voice at the end is different if you picked male or female

fun games last night corrosive. I was laughing so much because I was trying items out, and you guys were freaking out.

I never tried/seen the vortex before that derpasus fight, and you guys were all "what the hell is that?". it was useless in that situation.

during the griffin fight I tried the gold coin lure, and you guys were just as interested in it as he was. :p

I tried the gold coin on my own again today, and if you keep dropping it right under him he'll continue to come down and do an aoe blast to make it go away.

fun games last night corrosive. I was laughing so much because I was trying items out, and you guys were freaking out.

I never tried/seen the vortex before that derpasus fight, and you guys were all "what the hell is that?". it was useless in that situation.

during the griffin fight I tried the gold coin lure, and you guys were just as interested in it as he was. :p

I tried the gold coin on my own again today, and if you keep dropping it right under him he'll continue to come down and do an aoe blast to make it go away.

Those things probably work well on the right bosses. Oh, and kobolds are not in desert hydra -- I was getting deciduous SE there when I killed the trees.

Zero, where's Venetar? Edit: Damn, he's an AI.

Crazygambit, you can fight him as many times as you want.

wilflare

Those things probably work well on the right bosses. Oh, and kobolds are not in desert hydra -- I was getting deciduous SE there when I killed the trees.

Zero, where's Venetar?

Crazygambit, you can fight him as many times as you want.

Venetar is one of those Sorcerer Pacts. The Third one I believe

ah your right those are deciduous. I didn't even really think about it. I just kinda said the first high level place I knew had trees.

the early time limit and no injury missions were easy enough, but for the later ones i think were gonna need four players with resolute sigils.

J0dy77

Picked up the game after only playing a little of the demo (wanted to support the Vita and some bigger titles for it). Any recommendations for a new player? I read the FAQ's and looking for any key pointers people may have learned early on.

Starting to get kinda bored with this game. I'm not terribly far into it yet (about 6 hours), but the fast-paced combat is starting to fall flat. I loved it at first but now I'm starting to see the benefit of Monster Hunter's slower combat. In Soul Sacrifice I basically just run around, dodge attacks and spam my spells when I get an opening. There's not much strategy involved. It was fresh at first... now I see the limitations.

Maedhros

Starting to get kinda bored with this game. I'm not terribly far into it yet (about 6 hours), but the fast-paced combat is starting to fall flat. I loved it at first but now I'm starting to see the benefit of Monster Hunter's slower combat. In Soul Sacrifice I basically just run around, dodge attacks and spam my spells when I get an opening. There's not much strategy involved. It was fresh at first... now I see the limitations.

Isn't that the same with MH? You run, dodge attacks and counter attack. Rinse, Repeat...

Yup, exactly the same.

Isn't that the same with MH? You run, dodge attacks and counter attack. Rinse, Repeat...

Yup, exactly the same.

Except you "aim" or target specific body parts. With lock-on targeting you just get within range and spam. It's fun at first but now it's just kinda boring. I'll probably finish the story since it's starting to get interesting but I doubt I'll play this like MH.

Except you "aim" or target specific body parts. With lock-on targeting you just get within range and spam. It's fun at first but now it's just kinda boring. I'll probably finish the story since it's starting to get interesting but I doubt I'll play this like MH.

Then don't use the auto aim? Each archfiend has specific cursed parts to attack.

Zemm

If you press L trigger whilst aiming it'll reset the aim so you can aim for the cursed parts. This is what I do vs someone like Harpy: aim, lock off, aim for the wings, fire.

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Then don't use the auto aim? Each archfiend has specific cursed parts to attack.

Exactly. If you're doing it right, you're going for the weakpoints, which require specific attacks, aiming, and strategy.

If you press L trigger whilst aiming it'll reset the aim so you can aim for the cursed parts. This is what I do vs someone like Harpy: aim, lock off, aim for the wings, fire.

This is exactly how to use the throw weapons for it.

It's fun at first but now it's just kinda boring. I'll probably finish the story since it's starting to get interesting but I doubt I'll play this like MH.

wait so you aren't doing any of the avalon stuff, side stories, or mp? if not there's bosses, and offerings you haven't even seen yet.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
wait so you aren't doing any of the avalon stuff, side stories, or mp? if not there's bosses, and offerings you haven't even seen yet.

That is what I was about to ask.
I couldn't even play MH, yet this has me hooked. I feel like I need to 100% this game

Agent, do you want to group up at the moment? I can't party chat, but we could knock out some more of the timed quests if you like. Default sacrifice.

This might be a totally newb question, but since I don't play online that much with the Vita...

How do you talk with other people (as in voice, not those silly commands)? What do I need to have? I have the Pulse Elite (which is AWESOME for this game I might add) that has a mic included.

This is the first game where the network code is flawless for me. Since I'm not in the US I usually get massive lag. Like with Ragnarok Oddissey, which was unplayable for me. But here even with 1-2 bars for other players, (which is the most I get) I haven't seen any hiccups while playing.

Basically I'd like to play with other gaffers using chat to attempt more interesting strategies.

Also my PSN is Crazygambit if you feel like adding me. I play the NA servers.

frost we were killing it. only 3 missions left in the forgotten pacts for me. we'll group up again in a bit. i'm so close to that 1/99.

sounds good to me if your still up for it. send me an invite.

There's only 3 pacts left!
That Phoenix will rue the day she pissed us off. ;)

This might be a totally newb question, but since I don't play online that much with the Vita...

How do you talk with other people (as in voice, not those silly commands)? What do I need to have? I have the Pulse Elite (which is AWESOME for this game I might add) that has a mic included.

This is the first game where the network code is flawless for me. Since I'm not in the US I usually get massive lag. Like with Ragnarok Oddissey, which was unplayable for me. But here even with 1-2 bars for other players, (which is the most I get) I haven't seen any hiccups while playing.

Basically I'd like to play with other gaffers using chat to attempt more interesting strategies.

Also my PSN is Crazygambit if you feel like adding me. I play the NA servers.

Can't with straight up randoms.
Otherwise use the Party app to make a party chat before you go in game. Friends of friends can come into the party chat at will if you set it up that way, so you can sorta play with voice/randoms like that.
Vita has a mic and everything, so I don't use anything other than the Vita, as low-grade as it may be.

mauaus

hey quick question! if i have a Iron pinwheel (M) and it does 25 damage am i correct in assuming it does 75 damage if all 3 blades hit?

Top Bottom