• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

OmegaZero

So trying to complete missions with all the effects of the Black Rites activated is both frustrating and hilarious at times.
I should try going online like this to see if I get kicked from rooms.

Holmes

Same to you! I tried to take down Cyclops after my connection spazzed out and got him to red, but then he did the spikey rolling attack and I couldn't dodge in time. OHKO. Oh well. I was running out of offerings anyway.

Oh, my bad. Misread that.

That one is just run the hell away when you see him on his side.

i was doing the -stand on explosive while he's burrowing- move earlier, and it was working so good.

well this just happened:
h48XHEs.jpg
i actually wasted time looking for the phoenix because i didn't realize i had already killed her.

Number45

Even though I only had to do it a few times, restarting that last fight is FUCKING STUPID. Seriously. Quicker restarts is my number 1 request for any possible sequel.

That said, all done with the story mode! ^_^ Time to hop in to the MP, although I'm going to be way above the early Avalon pacts in terms of level (20/38 at the moment, working towards 40/40 and then probably a 1/99).

Number45

Hopped on this evening for a quick blast of MP... 45 minutes later I'd completed a single pact. Didn't fail any, that's literally how long it took to beat (griffin and phoenix). :p

It's a shame that people don't put what pacts they're aiming for. Searching for the first tier turned up nothing so I just joined a random group - no idea what level we were in.

One quick question, do I have to complete all of the avalon pacts in SP to unlock everything? I had assumed that I could just do them in the MP but I guess not.

ZeroAKA

One quick question, do I have to complete all of the avalon pacts in SP to unlock everything? I had assumed that I could just do them in the MP but I guess not.
No, but I think you have to at least host the multiplayer games if you want the unlock to count.

Number45

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Given that I'm trying for the easier ones anyway (to help build some offerings) it might make sense to try and get some rooms going for specific pacts.

I've completed all of them through to IV I think, so quite a way to go.

No, but I think you have to at least host the multiplayer games if you want the unlock to count.

I don't understand the question.
I did like 90% of the avalon pacts in multi.
I have all the AI partners.

Unless he's talking about sigils and then, yes, you have to do stuff in avalon single player... otherwise you can't get some of the LE/SEs (Anguished, Mastermind, Pinchpenny, etc.).

ZeroAKA

I don't understand the question.
I did like 90% of the avalon pacts in multi.
I have all the AI partners.

Unless he's talking about sigils and then, yes, you have to do stuff in avalon single player... otherwise you can't get some of the LE/SEs (Anguished, Mastermind, Pinchpenny, etc.).
I remember some of the later Avalon Pact missions (VII+) remained locked when I completed them online. They didn't get unlocked until I became the host.

I remember some of the later Avalon Pact missions (VII+) remained locked when I completed them online. They didn't get unlocked until I became the host.

I still had the seal next to them all, making them all considered "completed" whether they were blacked out or whatever.

Number45

I still had the seal next to them all, making them all considered "completed" whether they were blacked out or whatever.
Hmm, after I completed the phoenix + griffin last night I searched through to see if I had the seal but no sign of it. Perhaps because it was one of the blacked out missions?

EDIT: Just checked the level list and it was X. Ruined Griffin and there's definitely no seal (the level is still greyed out as a mystery level)

Mondriaan

Hmm, after I completed the phoenix + griffin last night I searched through to see if I had the seal but no sign of it. Perhaps because it was one of the blacked out missions?

EDIT: Just checked the level list and it was X. Ruined Griffin and there's definitely no seal (the level is still greyed out as a mystery level)

I think grayed out (white out?) mystery is a different kind of lock than the black ink smudge.

Yeah, I got the completion seal for the missions I completed online. They didn't get permanently unlocked on my side though (still blacked out).

After you met all the requirements for them? Like the last 5 in Avalon IV will stay blacked out with wax seals if your Snowfield Glutton is sitting in "saved" state.

RpgN

Lately I'm finally have more time to get into this game, several years later chapters were just completed and now there are question marks that need some answers. I'm not sure if I'm playing the game the correct way since it seems to be quite challenging. The last chapter was a boss against an Elven Queen and there was one Slime monster that loved money. The first one took a long time to kill on my second or third try and the later boss took many tries to kill. Is it normal that the game is pretty challenging early on? I'm guessing I don't have the right offerings yet and I'm not really grinding in already cleared missions. I'm guessing those missions will be more easy once you aquire more powerful offerings later on in the game. I also don't use black rites or sacrifice any of my allies since I don't like dealing with the consequences afterwards. Are there fights where you pretty much have to use them? Oh and I'm receiving bad scores when clearing a mission, my best one might have been around 300.

Then there is the way you level up, I try to be an all rounder by keeping both sides at the same level but I've noticed that some stats gets reduced like magic and life. Are you pretty much forced to focus on one of the 2 sides or is that just supposed to happen regardless?

Lastly I read somewhere that you can platinum the game on your own. Is that true? What about the trophies that require you to play in multiplayer?

The game plays better, IMO, if you use more magic, as you don't have to rely on others to do your damage. You can go extreme and do 1/99 or moderate and do 50/50. The catch is keeping your magic up high enough and using sigils to properly compensate.

I can't talk about how "easy" or "hard" the game was because I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the demo, meaning I had very powerful spells to start and a pretty good handle on the mechanics.

300 is low if that's you're best. Once you get the hang of it, you should be getting high 300s to mid 500s on a mission. When you do ridiculously well, you can hit high 600s, maybe even in the 700s.

Always use vulnerabilities. Always use strategic attacks. And always (duh) try not to get hit.
Black rites add +80 and give a martyr reward. So does sacrificing an ally (though that's +30).
The better your score is, the better offerings you get. So if you're not maximizing your scores, your not getting top offerings and that may be why you're finding it difficult.

Yes you can platinum without online, by using ad-hoc, I think.

ZeroAKA

After you met all the requirements for them? Like the last 5 in Avalon IV will stay blacked out with wax seals if your Snowfield Glutton is sitting in "saved" state.
I don't know about earlier pacts, but I was referring to the last few Avalon Pacts that are "viewable" but blacked out after you beat Magusar (VII and up). For example, I didn't unlock the next pact after completing Ruined Griffin online until I actually hosted the game. The only requirements for that were to complete the story and Ruined Griffin, both of which I did.

RpgN

The game plays better, IMO, if you use more magic, as you don't have to rely on others to do your damage. You can go extreme and do 1/99 or moderate and do 50/50. The catch is keeping your magic up high enough and using sigils to properly compensate.

I can't talk about how "easy" or "hard" the game was because I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the demo, meaning I had very powerful spells to start and a pretty good handle on the mechanics.

300 is low if that's you're best. Once you get the hang of it, you should be getting high 300s to mid 500s on a mission. When you do ridiculously well, you can hit high 600s, maybe even in the 700s.

Always use vulnerabilities. Always use strategic attacks. And always (duh) try not to get hit.
Black rites add +80 and give a martyr reward. So does sacrificing an ally (though that's +30).
The better your score is, the better offerings you get. So if you're not maximizing your scores, your not getting top offerings and that may be why you're finding it difficult.

Yes you can platinum without online, by using ad-hoc, I think.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I'll need to use some black rites and sacrifice allies to get the most out of the game.

The game does seem to have a lot of going on for it. Even though I love RPGs and am well versed with the genre, I felt pretty overwhelmed with the game having many different offering categories and still trying to get familiar with them for instance. I just found out recently that monsters can be vulnerable to different elements, I don't remember the game explaining this bit or explaining too much about the gameplay besides some basics. I didn't even know what Martyr meant and how you got them until you pointed it out :/

I played like 4 chapters on the demo and stopped playing it in anticipating for the full game.

Despite all that, it feels like I'm starting to get familiar with the game these past 2 days. The game feels very satisfying with its movement, physics and gameplay in general. I'm enjoying my time with the game a lot even though it's starting to become apparent that you're going through the same areas and monsters quite often. Even so, I'm enjoying the different variations and weaknesses of the same monsters. It looks like a good game to get into and learn its structure.

Holmes

Still on for some phantom quests, Agent? And anyone else wanna play maybe in about 30 - 40 minutes? We'll be doing the high level pacts (finishing VIII, starting IX) and I'll keep the room public (it'll probably be called GAF room again or something). If we're not friends, just add me (PapasitoPenguin) so we can all get in a party.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but despite pre-ordering the game I've only just unwrapped my copy and played it this evening and I'm trying to change the language track to Japanese as I was led to believe this was a pre-order incentive. Can't figure out how to do it though. Any ideas?

Holmes

Did you redeem your pre-order codes? They're probably on your receipt.

Anyway good games again, Agent. Had fun and we had some good laughs. Gonna be agonizing over dual Illecebra until we actually take them down though.

Holmes

Oh hells yes. Gemini Illecebra taken down... twice! Never again, I think.

Gif-Queen-Elizabeth-II-Giving-Finger.gif

The second time actually required me to sacrifice, because we saved the first time (sorry, Agent!). Which worked out because my three teammates were all 1/99 or close. We separated the Illecebra's easily enough and I was wailing on one of them with two others, then the decoy gets killed. So I run around to revive him and finally find him. Then I went to rejoin the other two, and she uses her snake attack and kills all three of us. So it's up to the guy I just revived to save us... and he goes to the most skilled player out of all four of us and sacrifices her, and revives us. Which, in hindsight, was really funny. But she kept spamming the "wrong move!" chat prompt. The one we were fighting went down quickly after that, then we found the second in a big, open area so it was very easy to dodge her attacks. She went down quickly after that too. After the battle, the player that was sacrificed really bitched out the player that sacrificed her though. I kind of felt bad but it all worked out in the end, so whatever!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Is there any way to get the japanese voice pack in Europe that i'm not aware of ? It's not available to buy on PSN and obviously can't pre order anymore.

Number45

Is there any way to get the japanese voice pack in Europe that i'm not aware of ? It's not available to buy on PSN and obviously can't pre order anymore.
It was always touted as a pre-order exclusive, so not at the moment. Perhaps one day they'll release it.

Bittercup

My copy finally arrived, but I'm not sure I understand how to properly play the game.
The fist missions after the Demo were ok, but after that they game was very difficult and I could only beat the bosses with the black rite. And now I'm at Destinies Past Chapter 5 the Carnivorous Slime and constantly dying :(

The previous slimes weren't so bad. Melee attacks to the leg with the fire weapon until it breaks, but the one in chapter 5 throws so many sacks and they do so much damage and from melee range I find it very hard to dodge them or even see them before they hit me.
I tried to fight him from a longer distance but that seems to do barley any damage. I threw all the eggs I have, renewed the offerings twice and he was still yellow and cutting his leg didn't seem to work and sooner or later I always die. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :/
Am I too low? I watched videos on youtube for help and they were over 20 each and even had spells with 3 stars.
I'm 14/14 and have hardly any spell upgraded because I don't have many duplicates and few to use fusing.
Should I farm exp/offerings first before playing through the main story? Any advice what I should do?

Man, this game is addicting. Unfortunately, the XP grindfest is putting off other players to join me in multiplayer which is sad considering how fun it is to work with them. I'm already done with almost half of the "Avalon" story side-missions and I haven't even utilized many other effects just yet.

I'm 14/14 and have hardly any spell upgraded because I don't have many duplicates and few to use fusing.
Should I farm exp/offerings first before playing through the main story? Any advice what I should do?

That's the thing with XP design, you need to grind them to compete. It is as simple as that. But try finishing up the side-missions not to mention the other "sorcerers" mission. It should beef you up just enough to meet whatever the "main" story throws at you.

Bittercup

That's the thing with XP design, you need to grind them to compete. It is as simple as that. But try finishing up the side-missions not to mention the other "sorcerers" mission. It should beef you up just enough to meet whatever the "main" story throws at you.
Thanks, I will try that.

SleazyC

Might have already been asked, but how does this game play if you only play singleplayer?

I have a business trip to Europe coming up this week and may not have an internet connection for parts and am wondering if its worth picking this game up to play solo.

Might have already been asked, but how does this game play if you only play singleplayer?

Game is completely playable on single player, sometimes relying on AI for the story. You just get the benefit of your standard co-op assistance on multi-player (which is a lot of fun if you manage to get a party). I think the rewards are also better.

ZeroAKA

Game is completely playable on single player, sometimes relying on AI for the story. You just get the benefit of your standard co-op assistance on multi-player (which is a lot of fun if you manage to get a party). I think the rewards are also better.
The rewards are the same, but it's easier to get better scores (and more rewards) in multiplayer because of titles such as Gallantly Protective and Wickedly Murderous that are exclusive to MP.

Number45

Really hope I get the chance to play some MP this weekend, this week has been insane. Took down Act V Jack/Kraken earlier without too much fuss (took 13 minutes, but was relatively safe) - just focused on Jack because I know he's easy to get down then to the Kraken.

How would you setup for this fight? I set myself up to be able to freeze Jack as quick as possible (ice homing and blanket), with an ice shield and lightning fist for the chain attack but Kraken took some time because I didn't have anything to hit his weaknesses (he wouldn't freeze at all). Other offerings were my Healing Bloom and an ice sword (in hindsight I could probably have swapped that out for something else).

Do you all have a standard set of offerings or do you set up specifically for each fight (pre-made sets maybe?).

ZeroAKA

Do you all have a standard set of offerings or do you set up specifically for each fight (pre-made sets maybe?).
I'm running a 10/90 divine build, so I've been using the same blood-focused offering set for every boss. If you have more dark levels (higher attack), you have more flexibility. I recommend making at least one set for every elemental weakness.

Are the new bosses free DLC?
Yes, all of the DLC bosses have been free so far. There should be 10 free bosses total.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm running a 10/90 divine build, so I've been using the same blood-focused offering set for every boss. If you have more dark levels (higher attack), you have more flexibility. I recommend making at least one set for every elemental weakness.

Yes, all of the DLC bosses have been free so far. There should be 10 free bosses total.

I wonder when they will start story dlc

also congrats on platinum

Top Bottom