• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Moofers

Impressions from 2 hours in:

-The game feels like Soul Calibur IV: Turbo. Everything is so goddamn fast this time. And that's coming from a guy who has put in some serious time with the MvC games. Even Nightmare is rushing me like crazy in arcade mode and I'm having a hard time keeping him off me because he's so goddamn fast. Everything seems fast.

-The fuckin ruined Kilik, dammit. What I mean is that there is no decent option for a staff character. I hate Xiba. His moveset has some similarities to Kilik, but a lot of the juggles and strings don't work anymore. Plus, I hate the whole "Monkey boy" thing where he's hungry all the time and hopping around. Hasn't that been done in like 10,000 animes already?

-Graphics, music, and character designs are boss! I love that Nightmare looks like he did in SCII, which I feel was the pinnacle of his designs.

-The Mad Catz Soul Calibur V stick is perfect for this. Not like you can't just use any TE or stick and remap the buttons, but I really like using mine and not having to dick with the options at all.

-Normal mode seems tough. Maybe I just suck for now and gotta relearn the game since I lost my main (Kilik) but the game seems really aggressive and difficult for Normal mode, especially when you consider that there's still Hard mode and then unlockable "Legends" mode where its ridiculous.

I find myself wondering who to make my new main since I hate Xiba so much. The board seems to love Natsu and I'm finding that she's very beginner friendly, but I'm tempted to learn Ivy this time around. Any suggestions from people who have been playing for the last week?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Been messing with it here, and I must say:

Unless you've seen 60fps HD videos of this thing, you don't know how good it fucking looks. Everything is so much better than SCIV, and the stage graphics are possibly the best in a 3D fighter this gen outside Tekken Tag 2. Really, it looks like the stage guys at Namco are really pushing quality with these two games.

The stages are bursting with detail, tons of animation and skits being played out by NPCs. There are also a LOT of stages, like over 25 from what I can tell.

Also, the music is the traditional Soul Calibur fantasy orchestral but it feels less phoned in this time. The compositions and melodies are sharper, more creative.

And as others are saying, it's the Turbo edition. So fast and responsive.

The story mode is actually cool, the full cut scenes are well directed and acted. The art panel scenes still have full voice acting and are well drawn. Also, in story mode, the characters have customized intro and outro animations and dialog to reflect what's actually going on in the plot.

It really does seem like a lot of effort went into polishing this as best humanly possible under their time constrained circumstances.

Saw this on my travels to work this morning...
1da3c3eb190733734f37733910131a97e4372a70_wmeg.jpg

scosher

I find myself wondering who to make my new main since I hate Xiba so much. The board seems to love Natsu and I'm finding that she's very beginner friendly, but I'm tempted to learn Ivy this time around. Any suggestions from people who have been playing for the last week?

If you're going to learn someone new, why not try out one of the new characters/styles? (ie. Patroklos, Zwei, Viola, Aeon, or if you havent played Broken Destiny, Dampierre)

Zwei seems like he has a lot of potential with his mixups, as seen by this video from the French pre-launch tournament (who've all had more hands-on time with the game than us):

http://youtu.be/bCbbAMjuZtU?t=4m59s

He can summon his pet just to make an opponent think you're going mid, and then attack low. I've read you can't actually make unblockable setups, but you can still play a lot of mindgames with Zwei.

I can't get no ranked matches man. It's like the first week of MVC3 all over again, heh.

Online seems better than 4, but there is still some underwater going on.

Unless you've seen 60fps HD videos of this thing, you don't know how good it fucking looks. Everything is so much better than SCIV, and the stage graphics are possibly the best in a 3D fighter this gen outside Tekken Tag 2. Really, it looks like the stage guys at Namco are really pushing quality with these two games.

The stages are bursting with detail, tons of animation and skits being played out by NPCs. There are also a LOT of stages, like over 25 from what I can tell.

Also, the music is the traditional Soul Calibur fantasy orchestral but it feels less phoned in this time. The compositions and melodies are sharper, more creative.

And as others are saying, it's the Turbo edition. So fast and responsive.

The story mode is actually cool, the full cut scenes are well directed and acted. The art panel scenes still have full voice acting and are well drawn. Also, in story mode, the characters have customized intro and outro animations and dialog to reflect what's actually going on in the plot.

It really does seem like a lot of effort went into polishing this as best humanly possible under their time constrained circumstances.
Wow this sounds great.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thing... anybody figured out if you can add someone from your friends list on 360 as a "soul link"? Can you only add people from an online lobby while they're in there?

FinKL

Unless you've seen 60fps HD videos of this thing, you don't know how good it fucking looks.

Pretty much this, for anyone on the fence. Preordered at Bestbuy yesterday and they had the demo up on one of the samsung TV's. OMG the fluidity of the game is amazing. Must be that 60fps. Super silky smooth.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Ill be picking this up tonight, anyone who wants to get on some XBOX version, lemme know!
GT: xr0bertpauls0nx

Viola can't be Amy or Raphael is majorly confused. He keeps speaking about Amy as she's still his ward.
He's majorly confused. He died and reappeared 17 years later with no clue what's going on.

Of course it would help if they put that in the game instead of just on the website and in the art book.

robot

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like Dampierre isn't exactly a pre-order only bonus from Bestbuy. Noticed a ton of copies on the Bestbuy rack and they all had the code inside (according to the box).

Really? Well, that's random.

Anyway, I fought Algol as the fifth guy in Extra Mode on Normal (the opponents are apparently random), and unlocked him. He can be fully edited (unlike say Nightmare or Yoshimitsu) but you can't give his style to another custom character. That's one concept I need to change now :(

Also, it said I unlocked some new head pieces when I got him, but I can't find any in the creator.

About Raphael:
Raphael shares voice actor with Graf Dumas, althrough there is no confirmed revelationship between them.
It's kind of weird if they have the same voice, face and hair... man, this game really needs an extended story mode.

Oh, and about the same thing.
Nightmare is now 178 cm tall, like Raphael. Well, that's that I guess. What's the timeline then? Raphael was tucked away as Inferno's backup body some time after SC4? When demon armor Nightmare was killed, he eventually returned to claim Raphael's body, then went around un-malfested as Dumas. Then he's defeated, Tira gives the Soul Edge to Pyrrha who is Nightmarified and then fights Patroklos. Through the power of love, they smash both swords (for now) and go home. Some time later, Raphael wakes up and wonders wtf happened. Is that about right?

Nyoro SF

I wish that when people complained about the netcode, they would say...

1) Whether they were on XBL or PSN.
2) Whether they were in USA, Japan, Europe, or whatever.
3) Wireless or wired.

Because with my wired 360 connection in USA I don't have much netcode trouble except for King of Fighters XIII.

It's very difficult to tell whether a game actually really does have bad netcode until these details are given.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like Dampierre isn't exactly a pre-order only bonus from Bestbuy. Noticed a ton of copies on the Bestbuy rack and they all had the code inside (according to the box).

That's not surprising, I think they did the same think with the Kitana costume DLC in MK.

kiryogi

Banned

3) Wireless or wired.

Because with my wired 360 connection in USA I don't have much netcode trouble except for King of Fighters XIII.

It's very difficult to tell whether a game actually really does have bad netcode until these details are given.

I think the real problem is that it's DR2K.

DR2K

Banned

3) Wireless or wired.

PSN
USA
Wireless

Netcode is flat out bad. Which wouldn't irritate me as much if the story mode was more than just cheap yellow picture frames or if the CAS wasn't just a whole bunch of the same cheap looking clothing items from SCIV, hopefully this changes as more is unlocked.

Phyrra is pretty much Sophitia's clone which is nice. The visuals are really nice and no frame rate drops on the PS3 version.

I think the real problem is that it's DR2K.

Yeah the netcode is bad in order to spite me.

I bought the CE at midnight last night and only had time to play about a dozen or so VS matches. There's something about the ambience and aesthetic in the game that reminds me of why I fell in love with SC1 all those years ago. The music seems louder, more present and way more epic, the outfits are fucking regal and gorgeous (and they finally, FINALLY got the 2P outfits right this time), and the framerate is just silky smooth. The presentation is polished to the TIP.

First impressions right off the bat:

- The airtight controls made me feel more in control of my character than any other game in the series (outside the original). The gameplay also felt very coy in combo output; I'm not ready to make a call on whether it's easier or harder for newbies to get into the action because it was much harder for me to pump out combos knowing the button infrastructure than with previous games. Even though SCIV was so slow I managed to pick Talim and pull out cool combos instantly. This time something feels different. I like it.

- I was owning pretty hard with Xiba. I love speedy fighters with a small frame, and when you add good reach to the mix you have my dream character. This might end up being my main. His bo-tail attack made the living room erupt in laughter.

- I'm most curious about playing with Viola again later. Not the most intuitive character to dive in with but I've been watching some great Viola players online and I really, really wanna pull off some cool stunts with her. Will definitely consider her for a main.

- Patroklos is the classiest motherfucker this series has ever pumped out. He's also a blast to play with. He'll be a good appetizer for the main course (Alpha).

- THE STAGES. Plentiful and regal. I always felt that Soul Calibur II was the only game in the series that had a consistent range of interesting stages (SCIV I would say was the low point). This game's collection definitely blows II out of the water.

- Leixia's P2 outfit = <33333. Reminds me so much of Xianghua's SC1 outfit, which was my first memory of the game when I watched it for the first time in '99.

- Did I mention this game is gorgeous?

scosher

Well, they paid for an exclusive license. If it gets people to still buy the game from them over their competitors, I'm sure they don't care whether you pre-ordered or not.

And Namco doesn't really care either so long as people are buying new instead of used.

Sullichin

Eh whatever, SC4 had 'bad netcode' (a nice blanket statement to say that I had lots of laggy games), but I still had a ton of fun with it. The WORST part about online in that game though is the mashing Quick Match / NO MATCH FOUND / SESSION FULL bullshit. PLEASE tell me it's implemented differently this time.

DR2K

Banned
DR2K, confirmed for consistent lagger in every fighting game?

But I don't play fighting games, remember? Netcode works great in UMVC3 for the most part. What are the average online impressions post release?

Eh whatever, SC4 had 'bad netcode' (a nice blanket statement to say that I had lots of laggy games), but I still had a ton of fun with it. The WORST part about online in that game though is the mashing Quick Match / NO MATCH FOUND / SESSION FULL bullshit. PLEASE tell me it's implemented differently this time.

I had no issue connecting with any game in ranked. In regards to that, much better than SCIV.

zlatko

Banned
DR2K, confirmed for consistent lagger in every fighting game?

How can he do wirelss Net Zero dial up? I'm baffled by this... :p

As for the OT, it looks great, but what I'm reading here about the online code isn't making me want to go out and day one buy if it's as bad as people are saying.

Will wait and see if a patch is in the works.

How can he do wirelss Net Zero dial up? I'm baffled by this... :p

As for the OT, it looks great, but what I'm reading here about the online code isn't making me want to go out and day one buy if it's as bad as people are saying.

Will wait and see if a patch is in the works.

There is only like one person that said it was bad. He's playing on wireless.

DR2K

Banned
The difference between wired and wireless is so minute. There's no way a wire is going to make a bad netcode work better. Prerelease netcode is bullshit per normal.

Top Bottom