• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Noaloha

Any impressions on the official guide?

I've never popped my fighting game cherry in three dimensions, so this is all gonna be pretty new. Is the guide well written from a strategy/guidance perspective, or is it little more than a tangible command list?

kiryogi

Banned
Any impressions on the official guide?

I've never popped my fighting game cherry in three dimensions, so this is all gonna be pretty new. Is the guide well written from a strategy/guidance perspective, or is it little more than a tangible command list?

Does anyone have it? D:

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The difference between wired and wireless is so minute. There's no way a wire is going to make a bad netcode work better.
Being able to push through 1MB at a given average rate is not the same as being able to guarantee individual packets are sent back and forth when they should, and wifi is pretty poor at the latter even without going into the PS3's own poor implementation of it. So you're right in that it won't change the inherent efficiency of the netcode, but it certainly won't saddle it down with a huge helping of intermittent lag.

robot

Well, they paid for an exclusive license. If it gets people to still buy the game from them over their competitors, I'm sure they don't care whether you pre-ordered or not.

And Namco doesn't really care either so long as people are buying new instead of used.

Yea I meant it as more of a heads up for people going out to buy it today. Probably worth it just to sell on ebay - he's selling between $20 and $40 lol.

Erigu

About Raphael:
Raphael shares voice actor with Graf Dumas, althrough there is no confirmed revelationship between them.
It's kind of weird if they have the same voice, face and hair... man, this game really needs an extended story mode.

Oh, and about the same thing.
Nightmare is now 178 cm tall, like Raphael. Well, that's that I guess. What's the timeline then? Raphael was tucked away as Inferno's backup body some time after SC4? When demon armor Nightmare was killed, he eventually returned to claim Raphael's body, then went around un-malfested as Dumas. Then he's defeated, Tira gives the Soul Edge to Pyrrha who is Nightmarified and then fights Patroklos. Through the power of love, they smash both swords (for now) and go home. Some time later, Raphael wakes up and wonders wtf happened. Is that about right?
Raphael supposedly woke up in some kind of cell (and no idea as to what had happened... for the past few years).
As for "Dumas", we're told he was kept as a potential host for Soul Edge, under Ostrheinsburg Castle.
I guess a link is indeed quite possible, but I'm not sure how to connect the dots... The details and timeline escapes me...
Was Dumas/Raphael locked away after Z.W.E.I. beat him? Or are Dumas and Raphael actually separate, with Dumas being some kind of clone based on a captive Raphael?

I'm a bit frustrated at the story mode and its focus on Patroklos, as the other characters would clearly have their own stories to tell...
How am I supposed to know
about Xiba's parents, for example? And Patroklos was taught by Setsuka, according to those Facebook profiles?
If those details aren't in the game nor on the Japanese official site... Maybe in the novels or the upcoming guides...?

DiegoUmeharez's rival, clearly.

DR2K

Banned
Alright gonna eat some crow here, when you actually set it to your region the netcode is fine. The bars are a lie.

d0c_zaius

Legendary Souls mode should be renamed Bullshit Souls, or Fuck You, I'm Done Souls, or You Play Games to Have Fun, Right? Wrong! Souls.

This. I've given up on unlocking Algol for now, as I don't really want him to begin with.

yay I'm glad others feel my pain. Markman, I took your "just deal with it" advice and gave it another shot. That was a mistake.

Also still having serious issues getting the timing down for parries. Besides these two negative points, I'm liking SC5.

zlatko

Banned
Get it at target man. $20 card. Then I bought some shampoo and an itunes card. God bless target.

That's a damn good deal. I was going to trade in MW3 to cover some of the expense though at BB or Gamestop, but I want to grab the movie Drive today too, so I may just have to do the Target deal then.

I'm enjoying the game so far although I don't like how block seems semi-broken. On multiple occassions in smooth 5 bar matches I'll block a telegraphed move that is blockable and it will go right through, and I'm not talking about the guard break either.

Just now I was facing a Xiba who ran up to me and did his CB and I just held down X, instead of blocking it just went through costing me the match. Hoping this will be patched because it will probably hurt this game's longevity for me if the game is dropping guard inputs during tense matches.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Wonder if best buy will match targets gift card offer. If not, ill be getting a steak for dinner, thanks soul calibur!

Roto13

Can't be a tricky bastard and say, buy it, get my free 20 card, go to the return counter, return it, then go rebuy it and now use my 20 card I gained?

If you return it, you'll have to return the card too, obviously. But I guess you could do it this way:

Buy the game, get the card
Buy another copy of the game, use the first card, get a second card
Return one of the games with the second card

I guess that would work. :p

ACESmkII

Damn, sucks you can't switch some characters to Japanese voice acting and some to English. I really like Ezio's eng voice.

Waiting for my copy is like torture. I'm gonna see if I can convince my friend to pick up a copy at the store today.

Damn, sucks you can't switch some characters to Japanese voice acting and some to English. I really like Ezio's eng voice.

Yeah, this is a feature all fighting games should adopt.

OSHAN

Been playing online all afternoon. Currently 40 ranked wins 10 losses with Astaroth, mostly just beating people up that don't know what they're doing. Only a few matches had awful lag, but overall, solid.

Love the new gauge.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's also very nice to see the plastic doll look finally retired from the characters skin/face modeling and texturing. The new art style is so good.

I'm not sure what to comment on the mechanics because I am not an experienced SC player. I fell out, like a lot of people, after SC2. I have a lot to catch up on. I do like the meter / brave edge / SUPER ARTS (lol) system though.

At least I don't have sore feelings about missing/replaced characters, as I wasn't following the series. Don't blame those who do, just saying.

Zwei and Viola are interesting characters, atypical for 3D fighting games.

Oh, and I like how every character has a home stage and music theme. Like the old days in fighting games.

Not as bothered as I thought I'd be by lack of individual endings in the arcade ladders. It'd be NICE, the way MK9 did it, but they seem to be focusing on one specific, canonical storyline this time.

Roto13

This is the first time there hasn't been a mode where everyone gets an ending. I don't even see any character profiles anywhere. :/

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The guide is cool, just got it.

418127_10150527220878883_507353882_9029399_1351752461_n.jpg

Namco is sending me some, but I was so impatient, I bought it at GameStop during lunch... lol.

This is the first time there hasn't been a mode where everyone gets an ending. I don't even see any character profiles anywhere. :/
Yeah that sucks. Seems really lazy on their part. Even MK's arcade mode had some text and some motion comics type stuff for each character.

I guess the days of crazy CG endings like Tekken 3 had are long over. Once I unlocked them I used to watch them over and over. =(

Top Bottom