• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah that sucks. Seems really lazy on their part. Even MK's arcade mode had some text and some motion comics type stuff for each character.

I guess the days of crazy CG endings like Tekken 3 had are long over. =(

There's so much detail put into the primary aspects of the game, including all these stages and such, I suspect lack of endings wasn't really laziness. Probably another victim of DAT RUSHED GAME. Making at least decent endings requires writing scenarios and either in-engine cut scene scripting or full screen art panels for all 28 or so characters. MK9 is actually rather lush in this regard, given that its character endings amount to a large body of very nice fully painted art, and even voice over narration for them all.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The guide is cool, just got it.

418127_10150527220878883_507353882_9029399_1351752461_n.jpg

Namco is sending me some, but I was so impatient, I bought it at GameStop during lunch... lol.

Everytime i see an arcade stick, I want it.... WHY WAS I BORN A POOR MAN! haha I hope they have none available or i may just buy my 5th stick...

zlatko

Banned
If you return it, you'll have to return the card too, obviously. But I guess you could do it this way:

Buy the game, get the card
Buy another copy of the game, use the first card, get a second card
Return one of the games with the second card

I guess that would work. :p

Genius. Will do it. :p

Yeah that sucks. Seems really lazy on their part. Even MK's arcade mode had some text and some motion comics type stuff for each character.

I guess the days of crazy CG endings like Tekken 3 had are long over. Once I unlocked them I used to watch them over and over. =(

The Gon one was hilarious.

sleepykyo

I guess the days of crazy CG endings like Tekken 3 had are long over. Once I unlocked them I used to watch them over and over. =(

Darn, I was hoping for something like Paul/Law/Steve or Ling/Lily/Asuka where the endings are connected.

Monocle

So I beat Harada in a Quick Battle and got the message that I unlocked the soul of Devil Jin, but its space is still locked on the style select screen in creation mode. What the fuck? Is there some other condition for unlocking the style? Did I run into some ridiculous glitch?

Shouta

So, no Yunseong or his style? Dammit. They keep ruining his style since SC2 and now they take him out. argh. >=(

RedSwirl

A bit tired after learning Xiba and going through Arcade with him, but I'm excited for Story mode. It sounds like a combination between the SC1/SC2 weapon master mode and MK9's story mode.

Don't know about super arts in a 3D fighter though...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So I beat Harada in a Quick Battle and got the message that I unlocked the soul of Devil Jin, but its space is still locked on the style select screen in creation mode. What the fuck? Is there some other condition for unlocking the style? Did I run into some ridiculous glitch?

You need to create a soul with Devil Jin. He's not auto-selectable.

Thanks.

Actually, I had that problem with Devil Jin's style. I just went and did something else and later returned to CaS and it was available.

As for CG, Soul Calibur never ever ever had CG endings.

Soul Blade: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur: realtime intro, art endings
Soul Calibur II: CG intro, art endings (iirc)
Soul Calibur III: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur IV: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur V: CG/realtime intro, CG/art cutscenes, no endings :(

As for CG, Soul Calibur never ever ever had CG endings.

Soul Blade: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur: realtime intro, art endings
Soul Calibur II: CG intro, art endings (iirc)
Soul Calibur III: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur IV: CG intro, realtime endings
Soul Calibur V: CG/realtime intro, CG/art cutscenes, no endings :(
I know but it would have been nice, hell any endings this time around would have been nice.

I heard this game was rushed though so maybe that's why there weren't any.

scosher

They should turn SC's single player into an RPG imo. It's already tailor-made for it with weapons and armors to collect. And they already dabbled with "stats" in Special VS. in previous iterations.

Fight battles, win money, buy weapons/armors that you can use in CaS and also improve your stats in single player, recruit the other characters in the game by doing their story quest (thinking FF6 here), and once you decide to tackle the final boss, the one ending will resolve everyone's storylines (again, FF6).

It's pretty much the same thing as "unlocking" weapons/armors and characters, but adds more flavor to it.

They should turn SC's single player into an RPG imo. It's already tailor-made for it with weapons and armors to collect. And they already dabbled with "stats" in Special VS. in previous iterations.

Fight battles, win money, buy weapons/armors that you can use in CaS and also improve your stats in single player, recruit the other characters in the game by doing their story quest (thinking FF6 here), and once you decide to tackle the final boss, the one ending will resolve everyone's storylines (again, FF6).

It's pretty much the same thing as "unlocking" weapons/armors and characters, but adds more flavor to it.

Good old Ehrgeiz.

YiZDQ.jpg

Like Soul Calibur legends? :) Just kidding. Or not. Namco should take another stab with the Move or Kinect.

This reminds me, I'm bitter Sam Shodown RPG didn't come out in the US.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm really liking Xiba, but it'll take me awhile to get back in the swing of the game again. Nightmare in Arcade made kept fucking me up, the game pace being faster is most profound against him.

Got Ezio's win 10 ranked matches cheevo. He's fun, especially with the frustrating crossbow spam. Nightmare looks badass in his play style, took forever to beat him in arcade on hard.

So yeah, running through cheevos: has anyone gotten the one for uploading a match? I've done it a dozen times now and no cheevo :(

Also, am I right in that actions like critical edge, just guard, ring out cheevos work in every mode but local versus?

Got Ezio's win 10 ranked matches cheevo. He's fun, especially with the frustrating crossbow spam. Nightmare looks badass in his play style, took forever to beat him in arcade on hard.

So yeah, running through cheevos: has anyone gotten the one for uploading a match? I've done it a dozen times now and no cheevo :(

Also, am I right in that actions like critical edge, just guard, ring out cheevos work in every mode but local versus?

Did you upload a win? Did you press X to actually upload it, or did you just save it to your battle list?

I got it. I had to upload 2 of them. Maybe the first one was a loss, but I am too lazy to actually check, haha.

iNvid02

srlsyguise4kuru.gif

KuGsj.gif

Moofers

Just spent 2 hours playing with friends. The game is pretty great! Decided I really like Natsu and she will be my new main. Ivy will be my backup.

What I like is that it seems very accessible with universal inputs for several moves across characters. Yet there's still a lot of individual depth to each character to help you play your own game.

Very happy to be playing this.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Anyone else having trouble getting into the Random Match for the Global Colosseo? It was working fine for awhile but all of a sudden I keep getting error messages saying "A network error has occurred". I can do ranked matches no problem. Any thoughts?

-The fuckin ruined Kilik, dammit. What I mean is that there is no decent option for a staff character. I hate Xiba. His moveset has some similarities to Kilik, but a lot of the juggles and strings don't work anymore. Plus, I hate the whole "Monkey boy" thing where he's hungry all the time and hopping around. Hasn't that been done in like 10,000 animes already?

I poured some out for Kilik after playing Xiba. They're completely different and in my opinion, Xiba is nowhere near as good. And then the bastards tease you by making Kilik a clone so you have to see him but know you'll never have a good rod using character again. Bleh. SCIV Kilik DLC, please.

Alpha Pat is so boss. I'm still trying to get everything down with him and I suck at JFs, but he's so damn fun to play. And in terms of character, Pyrrha > all other female Alexandras IMO. She's cuter than a whole button factory. I also greatly enjoy that Elysium is a
villain, so I get to beat up on that smug Sophie-esque face (I hated Sophie) and feel completely justified in doing so. XD

SourSamo

Is pretty much everyone playing on PS3? My PS3 died and I was going to pick up the 360 version, but worried about the community size.

Degen

I'm definitely never playing "Legendary Souls" again if I ever beat it once. This AI takes Capcom's auto-reaction gimmick to a whole new level.

TheGrue

So I am thinking about buying this because my daughter likes to play fighting games with me and I know she would love the Create a Soul feature. Can you create multiple characters and can both local players pick from among the same set under one login? I will likely get the 360 version, so I guess what I mean is if we are logged in under my Gamertag and there were 8 character slots, could I pick character 2 and her pick character 4 and fight each other?

Monocle

You need to create a soul with Devil Jin. He's not auto-selectable.

Thanks.
Well, the problem was the style's slot on the CaS style menu was locked. Turns out you have to hit level 5 and then it appears right where it's supposed to be (provided you've beaten Harada, I guess). I was level 3 at the time, so it didn't unlock until I played some more matches.

Freakout over, lol. Back to the game!

By the way, can Algol be unlocked any other way than beating Legendary Souls mode? I don't even have the mode yet, but from what people are saying, it sounds annoying.

alstein

I'm definitely never playing "Legendary Souls" again if I ever beat it once. This AI takes Capcom's auto-reaction gimmick to a whole new level.

It felt like a buffed up level 8 Capcom AI. I'm convinced it's reading inputs.
Too frustrating to bother with.

I finished story mode but couldn't find Algols in quick battle to beat, is there another requirement?

Xav

Last time we got a Soulcalibur game with plenty of modes and features we got III, easily the worst game in the series. I'd rather they focus on getting the gameplay right first, then do a "Super" Soulcalibur V later with the bells & whistles. What I want from a fighting game these days has changed from what I wanted years ago. Back in the PSOne era it was cool seeing a CG ending in Tekken 3, doing every mission in Soulcalibur and whatever the main mode was in Tobal No 2 but I've grown up and I have a job now.
To be honest when I put in the disc in I just want to fight, I don't really care about Voldo protecting his master's treasure or what Natsu's blood type is. I don't really have time to play arcade mode with all 30 characters to see every ending.
I understand for some people that's what they want out of a fighting game and that's fine but for me I just want a fighter that looks great, sounds great and plays great even if it's at the expense of content.
Long story short, less story, more team battle please Namco.

Bob White

Wow, I'm absolute shit at this game but I'm ranked number 3 on the xbox leader boards. Is everyone just playing in lobbies Is there a Gaf lobby?

Top Bottom