• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

mjc

Is Z.W.E.I packaged in with all Best Buy copies or just if you preordered? I'm trying to decide if I should get this from Best Buy or Target. That $20 gift card is tempting.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I hope Skilletor at least bought her dinner first.

Still waiting for Hilde to hit me back. I've been blowing up her phone but got nothin'.

Jokes aside, local Gamestop didn't do a midnight release. Skipping the rest of my classes so I can at least get the game this morning.

Comments, after having played 20 hours.

Viola can't be Amy or Raphael is majorly confused. He keeps speaking about Amy as she's still his ward.

Sephi22: Yeah, I remember now, I left that lobby after that match. Good matches at 5 and 3 bars. I actually took screens from it:
http://www.beardednerd.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/soulcalibur5_03.jpg

Lobby is awesome, you can toggle between full screen spectating or that lobby shot Sephi showed.

Character creation has 64% items when you start out, including hair, equipment, weapons, decals/textures and photo backgrounds/clipart. I'm at level 21 or 22 now and have about
80%
, so there's still some way to go. Most of the times you level up you get either a bunch of creation stuff (head, upper body, lower body, decals, weapons or clipart), a new level variation or some other stuff like
a different perspective to play Arcade Mode in, like the boss in DoA3, ugh.

You level up by fighting online, or doing single player offline (quick battle, legendary or arcade). Only thing not giving you exp is Versus Mode, probably because that would be abused.

There's loads of crazy stuff to unlock later on, like the horse head, hooves (replacing lower legs) and more armor and underwear. I've also seen elf ears and wings on premade customs.

Custom outfits are still ridiculously brittle. If you lose a round by a hard attack you break off all your head gear, shoulder and arm gear and some leg gear, leaving you in your underwear and pants for the following rounds. Even "body parts" like animal heads and the hooves get broken off so you better plan for how your character looks underneath. There should be a switch to keep stuff on the character, in my opinion.

Hwang
and
Li Long
are in the game. Although... you're gonna hate Namco for it. The first one is basically trolling.

Loads of premade customs like FilthieRich, Kayane, Harada.

Ivy is very much like SC1-SC2 and I love it. I dropped her completely when she became ridiculously complicated in SC3.

I don't see much of Kratos in Aeon. Aeon is rather fun too.

Is that Facebook page official or a fan translation? Loads of spelling errors and missing info. Kind of hard to take it seriously.

OSHAN

Legendary Souls mode should be renamed Bullshit Souls, or Fuck You, I'm Done Souls, or You Play Games to Have Fun, Right? Wrong! Souls.

LaneDS

Probably should have asked around prior to, y'know, purchasing it but are the PS3 and 360 versions close performance wise? Went with PS3 without thinking about it.

TDLink

Probably should have asked around prior to, y'know, purchasing it but are the PS3 and 360 versions close performance wise? Went with PS3 without thinking about it.

PS3 version is the lead development system and also is going to be what is used at all the tournaments. That being said, I doubt there is much difference between the two.

FinKL

For anyone that got it at Best Buy, is the Dampierre code in the package or on receipt? If it's in the package, why do they say you need to preorder it when someone can walk into the store now and pick it up without a preorder. It seems like all BestBuy 1st shipment copies will have him.

For anyone that got it at Best Buy, is the Dampierre code in the package or on receipt? If it's in the package, why do they say you need to preorder it when someone can walk into the store now and pick it up without a preorder. It seems like all BestBuy 1st shipment copies will have him.
Dampierre is in every Best Buy package.

Raphael has some dialogue with Viola where he says she's strangely familiar to him. Viola also has several of Amy's kicks. A major hint about Raphael's current status is revealed
If you try to create an original costume for Nightmare.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wont be picking this up anytime soon. As long as astaroth still goes in hard and yoshi is baller like then the game should be fine.

Catch me busting your head open(when i do eventually get the game)

Kimosabae

Banned
Damn, this game looks really good. The resolution of the models are so crisp. It's like a 3D ArcSys fighter.

Was iffy at first, but after playing Arcade mode for a bit, the game is growing on me fast. ZWEI is fucking cool.

LowParry

I heard the online is as laggy as SC4's was. Is this true?
I hope not, as I was considering buying SC5 :/

SC4 with 5 bars is probably a shitty connection with SC5 with 1 - 2 bars. But I'd give it till the weekend to see how things flow. I'll post my online impressions later tonight or tomorrow when I get some good time in with the game.

Steaks

I picked Hilde and started playing online. The netcode is passable (it feels better than MvC3 did). It's probably SF4 quality but there feels like there's input buffers so it shouldn't really matter that much. What it boils down to is this game feels like you can play it online and get experiences that will carry over into a tournament setting.

So far it's really fun. I'm much more knowledgeable when it comes to 2D fighters, but this is probably the most fun I've had with a 3D fighter, where I'm pretty much clueless except for how the fundamentals work.

Edit: Also literally the first match I had was vs a Viola, who has a 3 hit chain that does 2 normal attacks, then she flips over you (similar to a Taki move...). She did this to me in the corner within 5 seconds of the first round starting and she ringed herself out. The next round we both spammed guard for like 5 seconds because I'm pretty sure he was laughing as hard as I was.

vg260

Can someone speak to Kotaku's complaint about limited button mapping options: "No custom controller function." This is baffling. Are they missing something?

I modded my sticks to:
X Y LB RB
A B LT RT

and am wondering if this is going to be problematic.

P.S. I think all sticks should have the above layout now that the xbox dash and a lot of games now use L1/R2 for menu navigation with no option to change that. OS function intuitiveness should come first. If you're buying a stick, chances are you know how to remap buttons in-a fighting game. Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom