• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Alright SoulGAF, help me out here. The last SC game I played was 3, which I enjoyed, but it was before I really got into fighting games proper. Since then, I've gotten into SF, KOF, GG, etc.

I cannot wrap my fucking head around this game. I dunno if it's the wacky translation, the super complicated seeming combos, but holy hell. I just can't figure out how the hell to get started.

Beyond that, is Ivy an alright character to start with? What about Ezio?

Duffyside

Banned
So how do guard impacts work in this one? Do people still get laid down all lame-like such as in SCIV? Cuz that was really off-putting.

Monocle

Holy shit, I'm still stuck on Edgemaster and I haven't even been earning any points for my losses in the last 20 minutes. Any tips for beating him with Xiba? Also, if I go to the character select menu, will I have to start the whole mode over again?

LowParry

I'm assuming a lot of the custom items and character weapons are based on your level. Level 9 gave me Kilik and some more items but nothing on 10. Higher difficulty gives more points. Do the guides give any hints to what player levels give?

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Like the game so far. I've only played the older games (SE, SC & SC2), but it feels nice to have so many new characters. The coliseum thing is really great! I had a lot of fun today messing around on it. I think I will enjoy most trying out each new character. So far, I really like Natsu.

Funny thing, my LE copy of the game came from Amazon in a huge box. Probably larger than 30" x 20" x 15". Only for the game. I was amused, to say the least.

Skilletor

IMG_20120131_213531-1.jpg

It's an amazing guide. Time to study...
grammar :(

If anybody has any questions on frame data, I'll answer them. :)

Ferrio

Banned
Just picked it up. Wasn't even going to get the game originally but I was weak. It's 60 dollars, kinda pricey but oh well.

When I got there the gamestop clerk:

Clerk: "Would you like the strategy guide?"
Me: "no thanks, I don't need..." *notices it's huge and hardcovered* "uhhh uhhhh"
Clerk: "You get 10% off if you buy it with the game"

So I leave with 83 less dollars in the pocket. Dammit!

Skilletor

Link to guide? Cool stick by the way.

THey got them a gamestop nearby. It ships from Amazon soon, though.

And thanks :) It's my favorite :p

So how do guard impacts work in this one? Do people still get laid down all lame-like such as in SCIV? Cuz that was really off-putting.

GIs are now tied to meter. They take half of a meter, and are done with 4+ABK, and they do not knock down anymore.

STHawk

Neo Member
I will pick it up from a local gamestop soon. I hate going in there. I specifically went and pre-ordered from BB just so I didnt have to go in there. (and I got Dampierre) I'm still rocking a modded TE. I want a custom stick so bad.

By the way-
xwqNQ8

CPS2

If anybody has any questions on frame data, I'll answer them. :)

Is everything negative on block? =P

Nah seriously tho, roughly how many moves to characters have on average, that are positive on block? I had a quick look at Mitsurugi's frame data and couldn't see anything.

AAK

WTF? Xiba was in the middle of a juggle and the back flip at the end of the string caused him to get ring outed from a relatively high wall on the ATP Launch tournament stream.

I kinda hate ring outs.

Skilletor

Is everything negative on block? =P

Nah seriously tho, roughly how many moves to characters have on average, that are positive on block? I had a quick look at Mitsurugi's frame data and couldn't see anything.

Many things are negative on block, but not so much that you can't follow up with your own move. Just comparing a couple of Mitsu's pokes:

SC4 - Mitsu's 6A is -7 on block, +5 on hit
SC5 - Mitsu's 6A is -2 on block, +8 on hit

SC4 - Mitsu's 6B is -16 on block, -9 on hit
SC5 - Mitsu's 6B is -6 on block, +4 on hit

Comparing both, the impact frames for most moves are universally lower, as well as the disadvantage on block and advantage on hit.

I was wrong, but in effect, the game will play out similarly since in SC4, after most moves you couldn't attack, but in this one you'll have more opportunity to do so since you are at far less disadvantage in comparison on most moves. Not all moves have such large discrepancies. Mitsu's AA has similar frame data in both games.

zlatko

Banned
Got to play 5 games online before having to do other stuff for the night.

Got 2 4 bars, 3 3 bars. No lag on either. Found matches quickly. Loving the automatically reslect search new match option at the end of a match. Loving that before I accept a match I can see their connection AND what rank they are. Oh, and it's nice that right as the round starts you see the connection bar again to see if it went to shit during that time.

Training is all I really spent my time with after that. I couldn't do shit for combos yet on just experimenting so I'll have to put in more time and see what the basic combos they give you in the training are.

I couldn't find a character that fits me yet though, or more so a fight style before I create my own character.

Natsu is my BABY! I always played with Mitsu and Taki......Back then. Skipped on IV, but loving this one :) BTW, why does Natsu have a strange teleport loop after her demon hand command? Once you do 214 and hold down, she keeps teleporting...Strange. It doesn't happen when you do the up one.

soakrates

According to Hates, the Yoshi infinite isn't really an infinite. It might work at some really specific angle in the corner, but it's not practical to set up.

Skilletor

Natsu is my BABY! I always played with Mitsu and Taki......Back then. Skipped on IV, but loving this one :) BTW, why does Natsu have a strange teleport loop after her demon hand command? Once you do 214 and hold down, she keeps teleporting...Strange. It doesn't happen when you do the up one.

Down is a fake teleport, to make people think you pressed up. :)

DR2K

Banned
Infinities already? You don't say. . . I <3 SC. I did love the story mode, easily the best in a fighting game, just wish it explained the other characters more.

Fuck legendary souls mode. Patch that shit out.

Esura

Banned
So far I've been messing around in the training room with Pyrrha and I don't know exactly where to start with her. Previous SC games I just mashed in with Sophitia but I want to actually learn how to play properly in this.

Just guard timing is really strict too.

DR2K

Banned
So far I've been messing around in the training room with Pyrrha and I don't know exactly where to start with her. Previous SC games I just mashed in with Sophitia but I want to actually learn how to play properly in this.

Just guard timing is really strict too.

Really? I picked her up like I never left off since Sophitia.

njean777

Love that Raphael is back to his former self, for some reason he never felt right in 4, but this time around he feels like he did in 2.

Ferrio

Banned
Played some games with Kiunch and Q. Lag was great, but... we couldn't all be in the same lobby, when the 3rd person would join it'd say unable to connect. Pretty lame.

Nori Chan

Alright SoulGAF, help me out here. The last SC game I played was 3, which I enjoyed, but it was before I really got into fighting games proper. Since then, I've gotten into SF, KOF, GG, etc.

I cannot wrap my fucking head around this game. I dunno if it's the wacky translation, the super complicated seeming combos, but holy hell. I just can't figure out how the hell to get started.

I myself are in the same boat as you

I'm more interested in Ezio cause duh ezio lol and Natsu cause she's similar to Taki...or is Taki

hteng

Banned

Ivy is not a beginner friendly character due to her multitude of stances but she is "simplified" in this version of the game, so you might be able to get into it.

that said, Ezio should be an excellent character to start with.

the combos aren't difficult, its not even execution heavy.

scosher

I never knew how to really play with her though. I just mashed against friends and usually won.

What are some key moves one should know using Pyrrha?

QCF + B
QCF + AA (and there's a brave edge of this if you add in ABK at the end)
22 or 88 B + A + K (this used to be just a crowd pleaser move, but they added it as a sidestep move so makes it a great step punisher)
66b + ABK is also a really good brave edge that has lots of combo opportunities.

She's missing a few things that were useful from SC4 Sophitia, mainly Sophie's 66B that had great tracking and deceptive range, 11AA unblockable charge, and most of all, twin steps. They gave all those to OPyr. Still not sure which version of Pyrrha I'd rather play.

Top Bottom