• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Just Guarding tip: When you try to Just Guard the second (third, whatever) hit of a string, it's important to release guard *as soon* as you block the first (second, etc) hit. There's a lockout period after actively blocking to prevent people from mashing them out so doing it this way gives you more time to clear that cooldown time out and increases your chance for a successful JG.

Skilletor

lol. Early Valentine's day gift from my girl:

IMG_20120201_082012.jpg

:)

Bizazedo

So, I actually read part of the TOS we all "agreed" to when starting the game. Any reason I should be worried about phrases along the lines of promising online functionality for only 12 months and terms can change at their whim?

Was a depressing way to start my Soulcalibur V experience.

Esura

Banned
QCF + B
QCF + AA (and there's a brave edge of this if you add in ABK at the end)
22 or 88 B + A + K (this used to be just a crowd pleaser move, but they added it as a sidestep move so makes it a great step punisher)
66b + ABK is also a really good brave edge that has lots of combo opportunities.

She's missing a few things that were useful from SC4 Sophitia, mainly Sophie's 66B that had great tracking and deceptive range, 11AA unblockable charge, and most of all, twin steps. They gave all those to OPyr. Still not sure which version of Pyrrha I'd rather play.
Ah, thanks.

I'm going to try and learn both Pyrrha and Pyrrha Omega.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
If you see a female voldo with a deer's head, that's probably me (also, telosfortelos gamertag).

I didn't get much time with it yesterday, but I'm loving it so far. I was a huge SC2 fan, and I'm hoping this rekindles the love.

LowParry

Ah, thanks.

I'm going to try and learn both Pyrrha and Pyrrha Omega.

That's what I've been leaning on doing myself since I'm having a hard time picking a main. Omega seems more Sophita with her 66 B move and blah. I dunno. I like them both. I was really hoping they did something more with Tira but she's pretty much the same all around. God, and the online button mashers. They get away with so much shit it's not funny at all.

LowParry

I feel super confident now after this games online on what Namco can do for TTT2. :)

Same. Which makes the wait even more of pain. Hells. End of the year. I hope we get some new characters, stages, etc. with the console release. I know Namco wants to keep it going in the arcades but man, the wait. T6 was a horrible wait.

I hope they do something in TTT2 like they have in SCV with the city rooms you can enter. That's such a damn good feature.

AAK

I feel super confident now after this games online on what Namco can do for TTT2. :)

I wouldn't keep my hopes up... TTT2 is apparently programmed and designed in a very unfriendly manner for online play. The amount of information transferred is magnitudes more in Tekken than in any other fighter (from Kayane interview). And TTT2 with 4 characters and even more moves I'm not expecting SCV levels of netcode.

I'd love to be mistaken, but I gotta be realistic here :(

Sullichin

Yoshi's meditation stance -> B is no longer unblockable :(

Really loving this so far. The graphics and performance are incredibly good. The game is so fluid. The sound effects seem improved and there's a nice weight behind each hit. Don't think I like the new guard impact system, though, but I need to get used to it. The critical edge moves are cool. So you have to be blocking before it goes to the critical edge cutscene to block one of those attacks? The AI was blocking mine consistently until I realized I have to be smarter about when to use it. I suppose all of the directional inputs provide a tell of sorts.

Online is definitely improved from SC4 as well, both in terms of interface and lag!

Still haven't played all of the single player modes. Beat arcade as yoshi and voldo and did a bunch of quick matches. Story mode seems kind of awful. Don't really care about that though.

How do I unlock characters? I want that Devil Jin CAS style!

scosher

Seriously. I never thought Namco would convince me, but they have.

This game is amazing through and through.

Imagine what they could've done if they had time! :p

Yup, 2 more months in the cooker and we likely would've had Talim, Zas, Yunseong, and more single-player content. After playing story mode, though, I'm pretty sure they intended Alpha Pat to replace Setsuka all along, as stupid as a decision as that may have been. I really miss Setsuka's 66BA though. Although technically, the move is still in as FC 3aB, so I should say I miss Setsuka's umbrella attack.

LowParry

How do I unlock characters? I want that Devil Jin CAS style!

You'll want to run through the story mode entirely. 20 chapters total. Then after you can do a few runs through arcade mode to gain experience to your personal level. You'll unlock custom parts for CaS and so far, I've unlock Kilik this way. I suspect I'll do the same to get Ag-whatever in play unless you want to go through the pain of Legendary. Online matches also get you player experience. Ranked is separate ranked from the rest.

Yup, 2 more months in the cooker and we likely would've had Talim, Zas, Yunseong, and more single-player content. After playing story mode, though, I'm pretty sure they intended Alpha Pat to replace Setsuka all along, as stupid as a decision as that may have been. I really miss Setsuka's 66BA though. Although technically, the move is still in as FC 3aB, so I should say I miss Setsuka's umbrella attack.
Agreed. And him using the style has grown on me since they both have the thread of revenge going on, I just think they should have thrown an umbrella in there as a bone for old Setsuka fans since the umbrella didn't really change anything in terms of his movelist. Although I have to wonder what they plan on doing with the two Patrokloses going forward. They can easily combine the two Pyrrhas, though (maybe with a Devil Kazuya like transformation input).

I'm glad Namco prioritized the things that really matter in terms of gameplay, graphics, and sound but I would gladly pay for an expansion with proper button config, extra characters, stages, costume parts, and an expanded story mode (maybe 4 stages a piece per character?).

Oh, and profile viewer would be nice with these graphics, but oh well.

Sullichin

You'll want to run through the story mode entirely. 20 chapters total. Then after you can do a few runs through arcade mode to gain experience to your personal level. You'll unlock custom parts for CaS and so far, I've unlock Kilik this way. I suspect I'll do the same to get Ag-whatever in play unless you want to go through the pain of Legendary. Online matches also get you player experience. Ranked is separate ranked from the rest.

I think I'm level 5. Is that across all characters? I think it was different in Tekken 5.. not sure.

So the matches I've won in ranked online don't count toward my overall player level to buy stuff in single player?

FinKL

Lol @ Legendary Souls, really? I AA, gets ducked. I BB, gets side stepped. I go low, I get punished hardcore cause it's not safe. I block, I get thrown by the opposite throw attack I pressed.

Late for work by 10mins since I just wanted to beat Kilik. Towards the end, I was picking up what to do. You want to space yourself properly and then punish. Got to the final round against Kilik and we were down to pixels each. I got a knockdown and I just needed 1 more hit so I go for a low K, and he CE's on wakeup FML /quit

Also, remember Aris's Just Guard Tutorial?

He should of put up a tutorial on how to do it, seriously what's the trick, I tried for 5minutes in training mode just to get 1 JUST GUARD and haven't yet

LowParry

I think I'm level 5. Is that across all characters? I think it was different in Tekken 5.. not sure.

So the matches I've won in ranked online don't count toward my overall player level to buy stuff in single player?

The player level is to your name so all characters. I don't remember if Ranked does give you player experience. I just assumed cause it gives you Ranked experience. I'd have to check.

Okay, so I got the DLC. Music is fine, I've replaced some of the more boring tracks with those. The creation stuff though. Three bikinis, two types of fairy wings and two face paints (I only saw one but I didn't uncheck all the old ones before).

Music packs are about 1 euro per song or 2 euro for five songs. CaS stuff is 2 euro.

And here's the stuff in it (slightly NSFW, basic female CaS): http://i.imgur.com/qSUXI.jpg

All of this is already on the disc, by the way. The face paint even lists as #38, so it's not immediately clear which ones we'll get to unlock and which ones we need to buy.

Also by the way, I was thinking of making a CaS parts gallery, unless one is already being created. I just checked and I have 79% of stuff so there's probably someone who has it all already, but probably not many who also take pictures. Then again, with the screenshot function in CaS I bet there are more who can do it now.

FinKL

Why can't I fucking guard correctly in this game? The responsiveness of it feels kind of delayed almost; I've always had pretty good guard reflexes walking away from SC II and IV but whenever I'd try to time it right I get nailed every time. Anyone else had difficulty with the timing?

Also how the hell do you guard impact? I know it takes away meter but I don't see how I can possibly master just guard given the tiny-ass window to pull it off. Guard Impact was a big part of my offensive in previous games, without it I feel like just blocking hits is wasting my time. lol

SC2 raphael had a really good moveset. Sure you could spam thrusts but once he knocked you down he was one of the most annoying characters to deal with. On the other hand i couldnt and still cant stand talim. And i tried..i really really did. I played most of the cast in the game and i really just didnt get what people liked about her.

Great movement, deceptive range, fun combos, silly setups.

Skilletor

Why can't I fucking guard correctly in this game? The responsiveness of it feels kind of delayed almost; I've always had pretty good guard reflexes walking away from SC II and IV but whenever I'd try to time it right I get nailed every time. Anyone else had difficulty with the timing?

Also how the hell do you guard impact? I know it takes away meter but I don't see how I can possibly master just guard given the tiny-ass window to pull it off. Guard Impact was a big part of my offensive in previous games, without it I feel like just blocking hits is wasting my time. lol

4+ABK

Roto13

What's the deal with Quick Match, exactly? It's great to have a mode that's just straight-up fighting until you get tired of it, but what's up with these opponents? :p They look like ghost data based on random people's fighting styles and their custom characters, which would be awesome, but I haven't seen it described that way anywhere so I guess not?

What's the deal with Quick Match, exactly? It's great to have a mode that's just straight-up fighting until you get tired of it, but what's up with these opponents? :p They look like ghost data based on random people's fighting styles and their custom characters, which would be awesome, but I haven't seen it described that way anywhere so I guess not?
Nah I think the devs made them, and their fighting styles.

Roto13

Nah I think the devs made them, and their fighting styles.

Yeah, that's what I figure. Even though some of these characters are terrible. :p (Especially their voices. I've fought a few characters that sound like that terrifying centipede nurse from UmJammer Lammy.)

Bob White

Ok, Legendary Souls mode is ungodly hard. Am I the only one having troubles with this?

lol, no. It took me an hour and a half to beat it last night. It's all fucking luck, man. Use ring outs as much as you can because the shit is crazy rigged.

K.Sabot

Every single connection to me is a 0 bar connection, but when I play them it's beyond perfect.

Anyone else having this problem on PS3?

Airgetlam

Anyone notice that there are some CaS items that can't be used on certain characters? For example Siegfried has items that I can't find or use on Mitsurugi or Z.W.E.I?

Giolon

Someone said earlier in the thread there is a Character Model Viewer like in IV...but I can't find it.

The closest was in the Character Creator to take a photo for your index card, but even then there's menus and boxes covering 70% fo the screen.

Is it something you have to unlock or am I missing it somewhere hidden in the new stupidly confusing menu layout?

mr_boo

General CaS question, what's the quickest way to unlock items? Also, I couldn't find any indicator of how much stuff is unlocked (like a %) or anything like that.

Someone said earlier in the thread there is a Character Model Viewer like in IV...but I can't find it.

The closest was in the Character Creator to take a photo for your index card, but even then there's menus and boxes covering 70% fo the screen.

Is it something you have to unlock or am I missing it somewhere hidden in the new stupidly confusing menu layout?

Press start, select View. Done.

http://i.imgur.com/8s1iK.jpg

General CaS question, what's the quickest way to unlock items? Also, I couldn't find any indicator of how much stuff is unlocked (like a %) or anything like that.

Quickest way is whichever way you get player points fastest. Arcade Mode is rather quick as you get a bonus 200 points when done. The indicator is when you check your profile from the start menu.

Top Bottom