• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Kurod

Banned
Woo. Just completed Legendary Souls mode to unlock Algol. Took me about 30 mins total with most of the time being stuck on Kilik and Elysium...especially Elysium. That critical edge of hers is some serious bullshit.

I don't think any of those infinite's would work(including the Yoshimitsu one) considering the AI isn't set to recover in either video's. I guess they would work on an AFK player though.

Start learning Tira again. Having some trouble coming up with combo's though.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Just saw the all the cutscenes and true ending.

This is it? This is the end of the saga?

This is truly a lame ass ending. WTF.

I finished the fanfic mode (I refuse to call it "story") too, it is horrible. It cannot get more generic and cheesy than this.

WatTsu

Just got done playing quite a bit of this. I like it. Natsu is a terror. Also, the matchmaking has been pretty good so far, which is always appreciated.

Nice to see people excited about Viola. The second she was revealed I knew I'd have to main her. I just love her style. A hood and an orb with a clawed hand... yessss. Plus her moves look flashy.

demolitio

Wow, this character creator made it really easy to make Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones. It was so accurate that my family actually recognized him before I even named him and they have the worst memories ever. Now I remember why I loved SC IV so much.

I might get shit for this, but I actually wish they'd release more themed characters as DLC in the future since I love Ezio and pretty much every other guest character from previous games. It gave us something different and a way to see some of our favorite characters in a game you'd normally never see them in.

In the Future Press guide there's a bio of Alpha Patroklos that talks about how he met Setsuka in Istanbul training orphans to defend themselves. He begged her to show him her style and she became like the mother he'd ever known. She chastised him for being consumed with revenge since that's the path she went down in her past and he got mad and left.

I'm *assuming* because he was upset with her he started trying to imitate Sophitia instead.

Spruchy

In the Future Press guide there's a bio of Alpha Patroklos that talks about how he met Setsuka in Istanbul training orphans to defend themselves. He begged her to show him her style and she became like the mother he'd ever known. She chastised him for being consumed with revenge since that's the path she went down in her past and he got mad and left.

I'm *assuming* because he was upset with her he started trying to imitate Sophitia instead.

What? Alpha Patroklos imitates Setsuka.

Beat legendary souls, woo.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just realized that tying GI to a meter reservoir places a higher premium on Auto-GI attacks... huh.

Skilletor:

Dude, if you could post as much Cervy frame data as possible, I would seriously be in debt to you.

What? Alpha Patroklos imitates Setsuka.
He reverts back to his training from Setsuka after trying to imitate Sophitia's style (poorly according to ZWEI). IMO, the Alpha in his name refers to the fact that this is his "first" style like Omega Pyrrha is the final manifestation of her style.

Monocle

Beat Legendary Souls mode with Xiba a few hours ago, and it's all thanks to Justin Wong. His cheese is now my cheese too.

This is stupid, but one of the main reasons I had so much trouble with Setsumaster was that I forgot to tech roll until I'd died around 30 times. Once I finally got past that nasty business, I got stuck on Elysium for like 15 rounds, then went on to kick Algol's ass without continuing once, lol.

I doubt I'll touch Legendary Souls again now that I've unlocked Algol and with him the complete character roster, though I'm curious to see a better player take it on.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Mashiest?

I think it's the smartest/most realistic AI for a fighting game mode. I love the fact that it is brutal yet not impossible. It actually taught me a lot of things <3

BTW, CaS mode is awesome. Look what Justin Wong made lol...

http://twitpic.com/8e9vzm

I like that it responds with the proper punishes and its challenging but the second you let go of block its like an onslaught of the fastest normals possible. It feels like fighting a math problem.

just guard really isn't as easy as it looks. i've been having problems in the defense side of the game. not sure if its the online but holding block and try to block high and low attacks yet i still get hit. also another thing i'm not getting is just frame moves. i use Natsu and her A:6 is a pain in the ass to do.

alstein

Mashiest?

I think it's the smartest/most realistic AI for a fighting game mode. I love the fact that it is brutal yet not impossible. It actually taught me a lot of things <3

I think plenty of folks are seeing it as impossible right now. On day 1, I got brutalized by it, was able to beat Kilik but not Nightmare.

You don't learn so much when you just get brutalized. Also, I suspect it's reading inputs.

As for Just Guard- I suspect that if that becomes too commonly used, the game will die out. If it remains a gimmick/too hard to realistically use, that it will be fine. It doesn't look like roaching is unbeatable in this even without JG though (I've tried roaching with Raph who seems to be good at it, and I've gotten blown up hard for trying)

Namco BETTER use this netcode for TTT2- if they do, I'll get it (currently planning not to due to VF)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
You learn more when you lose. Trust me.

I got it and tried to unlock stuff/play through it on day 1; just like most people may have tried. I played it for over ONE HOUR straight and finally beat it. Just have to be the type of player to learn from your mistakes and go with what works.

V_Arnold

I do not fear that JG becomes an unbeatable thing. Throws are in this to prevent that, imho.
But I totally expect some amazing players to take full advantage of it with weaker characters (Kuroda+Q, anyone?)

kiryogi

Banned
I'm with Markman on this one. I absolutely appreciate an experience like this. I was able to learn some things with Leixia in the one hour + I spent against Kilik. I finally gave up after Nightmare pulverized me a few dozens times XD But I'll be back for more.

Kimosabae

Banned
My friend and I spent some time getting used to JG timing last night... reaaallly not that strict imo. My friend started punishing certain moves against my Cervy with JGs last night with freakin' Siegfried... and he's not even good at SC (primarily 2D fighters).

So yeah, it won't be long before it becomes more prevalent.

RetroMG

Siegfried seems harder to control, but Raphael is just as much fun as ever.

...I should probably try out one of the new people at some point.

V_Arnold

Siegfried seems harder to control, but Raphael is just as much fun as ever.

...I should probably try out one of the new people at some point.

I would promptly kill myself if my SC would be limited to Sieg/Raphael, honestly.

But that is because I really disliked the pew-pew style of Raphael in SCII, he was a real letdown coming from SC1.

NeonZ

Just saw the all the cutscenes and true ending.

This is it? This is the end of the saga?

This is truly a lame ass ending. WTF.

Not excusing the ending, but the final definitive ending was supposed to be SC4. SC5 is an attempt at a relaunch of the series.

Toski

After playing this for a while, I'm wondering why CaS is in this game. There is no CotS or Tower mode from previous games that actually make CaS characters relevant (for me at least). I guess if you want to make Dante or Sephiroth or Superman with already established character movesets its fine, but for me I'd rather just select the original character.

It seems this game really was rushed, and its disappointing because the core game feels good.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I would promptly kill myself if my SC would be limited to Sieg/Raphael, honestly.

But that is because I really disliked the pew-pew style of Raphael in SCII, he was a real letdown coming from SC1.

I dont understand this statement at all. Raph was my favorite SC2 character and one of the most satisfying designs ever. They've done nothing but ruin him since 2. Although his current iteration is growing on me.

V_Arnold

I dont understand this statement at all. Raph was my favorite SC2 character and one of the most satisfying designs ever. They've done nothing but ruin him since 2. Although his current iteration is growing on me.

Just some subjective ranting, hehe :)
No, Raphael really was a good addition, but for me, he somehow felt too..one-dimensional. Literally. He lived in the X dimension, only caring about the thrusts. Talim was a way better designed new character in my book.

No, Raphael really was a good addition, but for me, he somehow felt too..one-dimensional. Literally. He lived in the X dimension, only caring about the thrusts. Talim was a way better designed new character in my book.

You mean looked? He was far from 1-D, gameplay-wise.

That's kinda what Fencing is.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

SC2 raphael had a really good moveset. Sure you could spam thrusts but once he knocked you down he was one of the most annoying characters to deal with. On the other hand i couldnt and still cant stand talim. And i tried..i really really did. I played most of the cast in the game and i really just didnt get what people liked about her.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dampierre is hilarious, never played the PSP game but I wasn't aware he was essentially the game's Dan.

Bizazedo

After playing this for a while, I'm wondering why CaS is in this game. There is no CotS or Tower mode from previous games that actually make CaS characters relevant (for me at least). I guess if you want to make Dante or Sephiroth or Superman with already established character movesets its fine, but for me I'd rather just select the original character.

It seems this game really was rushed, and its disappointing because the core game feels good.

It's just because a lot of people love the mode. I think you're looking too hard at it.

Even people like myself, who might create only one or two characters and even then, they're not super creative, enjoy seeing the both derivative characters (I saw a great Luffy lol) and the original ones.

It's just for fun.

SC2 raphael had a really good moveset. Sure you could spam thrusts but once he knocked you down he was one of the most annoying characters to deal with. On the other hand i couldnt and still cant stand talim. And i tried..i really really did. I played most of the cast in the game and i really just didnt get what people liked about her.

I hated how Talim looked, but dem tonfas, man!

Skilletor

Just realized that tying GI to a meter reservoir places a higher premium on Auto-GI attacks... huh.

Skilletor:

Dude, if you could post as much Cervy frame data as possible, I would seriously be in debt to you.

Will do what I can when I get home from work. :)

Can somebody make me a Natsu avatar? /beggin

Toski

It's just because a lot of people love the mode. I think you're looking too hard at it.

Even people like myself, who might create only one or two characters and even then, they're not super creative, enjoy seeing the both derivative characters (I saw a great Luffy lol) and the original ones.

It's just for fun.

As I said, if you want to go online with a customized character or make one just to make one, more power to you. But for me the lack of a CotS/Edge Master mode makes CaS almost irrelevant. I liked making my CaS army and moving them around in SC3, I'm just disappointed there isn't anything close to CotS.

Mashiest?

I'm feeling that too. I haven't dived into Multi yet but some of the Legendary Souls fights have taught me a thing or two about blocking and parrying away from moves.

This is the first SC I've really dove into and I'm enjoying my experience so far. It can be unrelentingly brutal but when you figure out how to counter a combo or expose a weakness the experience can be incredibly satisfying.

scosher

As I said, if you want to go online with a customized character or make one just to make one, more power to you. But for me the lack of a CotS/Edge Master mode makes CaS almost irrelevant. I liked making my CaS army and moving them around in SC3, I'm just disappointed there isn't anything close to CotS.

Personally, I hated how you had to mix and match pieces in SCIV for stats, or just to get Shave Damage A, etc. I'd rather just play dress up barbie honestly with CaS.

Top Bottom