• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Airgetlam

Yes, I was very disappointed that you can't use horse legs on Nightmare.

It seems strange that they would do this. There shouldn't be any reason that we can't do what we want with customization, especially if the parts are already there and can be used on other official characters.

Esura

Banned
lol, no. It took me an hour and a half to beat it last night. It's all fucking luck, man. Use ring outs as much as you can because the shit is crazy rigged.

And this is the only way to unlock Algol? Fudge.

I don't even like Algol but I want to fill up all the blank slots.

LowParry

I like playing soul of Devil Jin, but he just doesn't hit hard like the rest of the cast. His combos are mad crazy though. I keep trying to bound in this game with him. Dur. And doing his 10 hit combo. Hahaha! It feels so damn strange.

I'm a bit disappointed with this game. I completed the Story mode and unlocked most of the characters in a single two-or-three-hour sitting last night, and while I know that's not exactly what the game is about I can't help but feel ripped. SC2 and 3 (and IV even though it sucked) had lots of content. There's not much of a 3D fighter scene around here, so unless I have some friends who really want to play couch multiplayer with only a few classic characters I thing I'm done with this game.

Real disappointed. I gather that the fighting changes are interesting, but this has way less content to back it up than other SC games.

"And this is the only way to unlock Algol? Fudge.

I don't even like Algol but I want to fill up all the blank slots."

Algol can be unlocked by beating him in Quick Match after you reach level 13. Significantly less likely to have a hernia doing it that way.

Esura

Banned
"And this is the only way to unlock Algol? Fudge.

I don't even like Algol but I want to fill up all the blank slots."

Algol can be unlocked by beating him in Quick Match after you reach level 13. Significantly less likely to have a hernia doing it that way.

Oh, that's convenient.

I can't get past Killik, at all. Just blocks all my mixups.

There's not much of a 3D fighter scene around here, so unless I have some friends who really want to play couch multiplayer with only a few classic characters I thing I'm done with this game.
Online is really, really good in this. I've gotten off a few Just Guards online if that tells you anything.

It seems strange that they would do this. There shouldn't be any reason that we can't do what we want with customization, especially if the parts are already there and can be used on other official characters.

Could be because of weird clipping or balance related issues. Who knows.

Online is really, really good in this. I've gotten off a few Just Guards online if that tells you anything.

The online does seem well put -together, I just don't know if I want to play it with the characters provided, you know? Like, it's not the game's fault, but the things I'm looking for in a SC game aren't here. I may be more into fighting games now, but I prefer 2D fighting games for multiplayer competition and I really miss the gobs and gobs of silly singleplayer content SC used to have.

KAOS

I love Soul Calibur (it's the only 3D weapon fighter out there)! But sometimes I just wish a member of project soul would insult Itagaki.

GringoJB

Has anyone picked up the strat guide at Best Buy (like, they are stocking it there, right)? Just curious... BB is the only store I'll have time to hit tonight on the way home if I want to play tonight (and I REALLY wanna play tonight!)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Sorry, this sounds like an stupid question, but how can you invite people to play against you online. My friend and I were trying to play together on PSN to show off our new characters and we couldn't find a way to connect directly to each other.

Oh yeah, and the Single Player mode was incredibly disappointing. I was hoping/expecting a single player mode on the level of Soul Calibur 1, 2, and 3 and instead we got some stupid 2.5 hour jaunt that made the single player modes of SC4 look deep.

:(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The online does seem well put -together, I just don't know if I want to play it with the characters provided, you know? Like, it's not the game's fault, but the things I'm looking for in a SC game aren't here. I may be more into fighting games now, but I prefer 2D fighting games for multiplayer competition and I really miss the gobs and gobs of silly singleplayer content SC used to have.

Unfortunately, the way Namco seems to have devalued SC really left the team in the lurch. They focused on everything that matters most here, and SC V could even be called a legitimate rebirth for the series. But it doesn't have the niceties of the previous installments.

Sorry, this sounds like an stupid question, but how can you invite people to play against you online. My friend and I were trying to play together on PSN to show off our new characters and we couldn't find a way to connect directly to each other.

Oh yeah, and the Single Player mode was incredibly disappointing. I was hoping/expecting a single player mode on the level of Soul Calibur 1, 2, and 3 and instead we got some stupid 2.5 hour jaunt that made the single player modes of SC4 look deep.

:(

Yeah, this is where I'm torn. On the one hand, people seem super excited about the fighting itself, which is great. However, being one of those nostalgia-fueled folks who played SC2 with bros and went through all the silly singleplayer modes to unlock stuff in other entries, this game is hella disappointing.

I mean, sure, maybe it's an invitation for me to get more into 3D fighters but I can't help but feel ripped off a bit.

Hcoregamer00

SC5 is a good game, no doubt about that. Characters like Natsu, Lexi, Viola, and many more are all great additions and the character creation mode is so much fun to mess around with. I am hoping that there will be HUGE BACKLASH from the fans about the poor single player experience that used to be the heart of the Soul Calibur franchise.

Single playing bitching:

1. There are not many modes to show off your created characters (a la Chronicles of the Sword from Soul Calbur 3)
  2. The is no sense of satisfaction in unlocking stuff
  3. The single player story mode doesn't test the skills of the player
  4. There are no unique objectives to give each fight some charm.

Yeah, this is where I'm torn. On the one hand, people seem super excited about the fighting itself, which is great. However, being one of those nostalgia-fueled folks who played SC2 with bros and went through all the silly singleplayer modes to unlock stuff in other entries, this game is hella disappointing.

I mean, sure, maybe it's an invitation for me to get more into 3D fighters but I can't help but feel ripped off a bit.

Agreed, and this is coming from someone who has been a loyal player since the DC release of SC in 9.9.99

Why does all gear float like two inches off of the character model in the creator, too? Put a belt on a character with nothing else equipped yet and it looks like a Subway ad.

brian

What does it mean when you do an attack and the screen briefly flashes green, and it breaks through your opponent's guard? I was messing around in training mode and this would happen seemingly at random. There must be some kind of method to this, but I haven't been able to figure out what's going on.

"What does it mean when you do an attack and the screen briefly flashes green, and it breaks through your opponent's guard? I was messing around in training mode and this would happen seemingly at random. There must be some kind of method to this, but I haven't been able to figure out what's going on."

There are attacks capable of breaking the opponents guard briefly. Some might just naturally do that, some might require some charging, some might require a just frame (pressing an extra input at a specific time), etc.

Edit: Or what Skilletor said. He's probably talking about what you mean.

Skilletor

What does it mean when you do an attack and the screen briefly flashes green, and it breaks through your opponent's guard? I was messing around in training mode and this would happen seemingly at random. There must be some kind of method to this, but I haven't been able to figure out what's going on.

That's a guard crush. It means your opponent has blocked too many attacks. You can tell it's about to happen by the lifebars flashing. When you crush the guard, they're vulnerable for a moment and can't defend the next attack.

Hcoregamer00

I don't want to be a negative person, so I will talk about what I do like which is Natsu. From her design to her personality to the way she controls, I have a new favorite character. Playing as her online is so much fun, even if I am getting my butt kicked.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Actually playing the game is 99% of the fun. "Hit a guy twice while you sink in sand!" is not.

Haha I don't know. I guess they're leaving room for other layers or something. It's super weird.

It's just weird because they have a pretty detailed body editor. If you give a character broad shoulders or wide hips or something and then equip them with gear they suddenly look even broader or wider and it's just silly looking, and then you have to go back to the body editor and size down their body until they look like how you wanted them to look in the first place.

d0c_zaius

Single player has never been the heart and soul of any good fighting game.

/tobal 2 !!!!

but enough trolling. grats on the stick!

I guess it comes down to what people consider the average for a story mode. Using SF2 as the original example, if you get character endings (drawn endings are fine) and maybe even some minor bonus mode to break up the flow of the fights, then I am satisfied.

Man, that sucks. I really wanted to see why Ezio was in here to begin with, oh well.

The guide has a limited explanation of character story stuff, using a couple of quotes from Shaun Hastings babbling about animus stuff and templars.

Single player has never been the heart and soul of any good fighting game.
Different people want different things out of the same games. I've spent many more hours on Tekken 3 and SC2's SP modes than MP.

That said I'm just happy this game has a VS CPU mode, that's what I want most in any given fighting game.

Roto13

Is there a way to turn off voice chat online? Not really interested in having a bunch of overly-aggressive fighting game dirtbags screeching at me through my TV.

Is there a way to turn off voice chat online? Not really interested in having a bunch of overly-aggressive fighting game dirtbags screeching at me through my TV.
If you have a 360 you can disable it at the OS level, or even better, only allow voice chat with people on your friends list. On PS3 the game would have to support mute if I'm not mistaken.

Skilletor

/tobal 2 !!!!

but enough trolling. grats on the stick!.

Tobal 2's heart and soul were the glorious sparkles!

Yeah, I'm sitting here chilling with it at my desk. I want to take it out and fondle it, but that can wait.

Doesn't matter how many sticks I get, I'm always excited to try a new one out. :)

Anyone else think the Mortal Kombat announcer is outta place?

Yes. I dislike him greatly.

Raw64life

As someone who likes SoulCalibur but isn't at all a serious player, I can't say I'm happy with what I'm reading about the single player, seeing as that's what I'd be spending most of my time doing.

Finally got the game. Man, I love the CE if only because of how great it looks. Sadly, the Dampierre code isn't included with the actual game over here apparently, and I have to do some extra things to get it which is a pain in the ass
-___-

*skims the art book* So that's where the profiles were.

Top Bottom