• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

I'll be trying the game out today at my cousin's house. I'll decide what to do about the game after some play time.

First thoughts:
Me:"So how is the game so far?"
Cousin:"It feels amazing. Some of this stuff is crazy!"
Me:"Have you played Natsu?"
Cousin:"Yeah and she is retarded. Patch?"
Me:"Totally gonna get patched lol"
Cousin:"Yup haha!"

The thought that this game could be like SC2 with a faster pace and new interesting characters is pretty exciting.
Sorry, this sounds like an stupid question, but how can you invite people to play against you online. My friend and I were trying to play together on PSN to show off our new characters and we couldn't find a way to connect directly to each other.

Oh yeah, and the Single Player mode was incredibly disappointing. I was hoping/expecting a single player mode on the level of Soul Calibur 1, 2, and 3 and instead we got some stupid 2.5 hour jaunt that made the single player modes of SC4 look deep.

:(
Damn, I thought single player would be a step up from arcade...
SC5 is a good game, no doubt about that. Characters like Natsu, Lexi, Viola, and many more are all great additions and the character creation mode is so much fun to mess around with. I am hoping that there will be HUGE BACKLASH from the fans about the poor single player experience that used to be the heart of the Soul Calibur franchise.

Single playing bitching:

1. There are not many modes to show off your created characters (a la Chronicles of the Sword from Soul Calbur 3)
  2. The is no sense of satisfaction in unlocking stuff
  3. The single player story mode doesn't test the skills of the player
  4. There are no unique objectives to give each fight some charm.
Sounds like a Capcom game with good online. That is enough for me.

Skilletor

Why would Natsu need a patch? I guess the damage from the air throw needs to be lowered, but other than that it confuses me. I guess it's just initial confusion over what she can do.

Roto13

I noticed that Raphael's vampire throw is followed by a comment about how the opponent tastes. :p Natsu is "tasty" and Viola tastes "strange." 'Cause, you know, she's Amy.
If you have a 360 you can disable it at the OS level, or even better, only allow voice chat with people on your friends list. On PS3 the game would have to support mute if I'm not mistaken.

I'm on PS3. I don't see an option for it. It really should be a setting in the system options on PS3. Voice chat with strangers should never be mandatory.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Been trying a bunch of different characters, Loving Ezio's style so far! I also was looking at the character select screen and does anyone else think Raphael looks like Chakan: The Forever Man!? Anyone else play as Ezio? I noticed it wont let me customize him or let me use his style in a created character......

Been trying a bunch of different characters, Loving Ezio's style so far! I also was looking at the character select screen and does anyone else think Raphael looks like Chakan: The Forever Man!? Anyone else play as Ezio? I noticed it wont let me customize him or let me use his style in a created character......

heh, I remember that game. Castlevania killer it was not.

Algol's combos are like some freak combination of Gouken and Urien badassery. Bouncing someone off the ground with a fireball, then bouncing them off a wall with a tackle, then finishing off with some spikes popping out of your body. Yes please.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I noticed that Raphael's vampire throw is followed by a comment about how the opponent tastes. :p Natsu is "tasty" and Viola tastes "strange." 'Cause, you know, she's Amy.

Can't tell if you are trolling or telling the truth.

I skipped all the cutscenes in the story mode because it sucks.

Viola literally only has 3 lines in the entire story mode. Viola=Amy has been speculated for quite a while. Dunno if we'll ever get an answer before SCVI :/

zlatko

Banned
Algol's combos are like some freak combination of Gouken and Urien badassery. Bouncing someone off the ground with a fireball, then bouncing them off a wall with a tackle, then finishing off with some spikes popping out of your body. Yes please.

Tell me more...

I'll have to unlock him then, because Urien is the only reason I even like playing SF3. He's the only character in my personal fighting game history where I actually don't hate the mirror match. :p

Hcoregamer00

It's not revealed in the game, but she totally is. Look at her. And listen to her.

The curls is a great giveaway, but the fact that her art show her more....well endowed than her original design but her in game model is more in line with what a grown up Amy could be.

Until I hear from the SC team I will consider them separate characters and that Viola is inspired by Amy.

The curls is a great giveaway, but the fact that her art show her more....well endowed than her original design but her in game model is more in line with what a grown up Amy could be.

Until I hear from the SC team I will consider them separate characters and that Viola is inspired by Amy.

Eh, that's more of a style thing from the artist from what I've seen/heard.

Roto13

They have the same voice actor and Raphael has a special opening quote when he fights her, going out of his way to say that he doesn't recognize her but she annoys him. :p

Roto13

Doesn't one of Raphael's lines refer to Amy as if she's still with him?

His story in this game is about him waking up in a dungeon, not knowing how much time has passed, and not knowing where Amy is, so he sets off to find her. Viola also has amnesia.

Hcoregamer00

They have the same voice actor and Raphael has a special opening quote when he fights her, going out of his way to say that he doesn't recognize her but she annoys him. :p

His story in this game is about him waking up in a dungeon, not knowing how much time has passed, and not knowing where Amy is, so he sets off to find her. Viola also has amnesia.

See, that is a stronger argument that makes the whole Amy = Viola argument more tangible.

Caj814

Namco isn't too clever. Remember the Jaycee "mystery" not too long ago with TTT2? Also before that there was Violet as well.

"Namco isn't too clever. Remember the Jaycee "mystery" not too long ago with TTT2? Also before that there was Violet as well."

Jaycee's identity isn't meant to be a "real" secret, though.

V_Arnold

I am so happy right now, I do not even know who to main.

Training with Leixia at first. Tomorrow, however. Tomorrow I will learn EVERYTHING.

And this is the best looking fighting game in the generation, without a doubt.

Yeah, plus same hairstyle and voice actress makes it obvious

Aren't they both vampires?

Why did Amy age but Raphael barely did?

It seems Raphael may have been in limbo or the equivalent in this world (the place Patroklos visits). His story mentions climbing endless stairs and there are such stairs around Edge Master's stage.

We only have two vampires in SC so we don't know how they're supposed to age.

About the voice, as mentioned,
Dumas and Raphael share a voice and if they're doing the same shenanigans with Amy and Viola then duh

You know what I would love? A custom SP tournament where you could set up like up to 10 fights in a row, picking opponents, stages and difficulty.

It'd be even cooler if you could add mutators/mods kind of like the old weapon master mode to make things easier/harder (like regenerating health, or not being able to do certain moves) and then host the whole thing you made online for other people to download and play through. Maybe even put in the option to add text for a little story or something.

Anyway just a crazy idea I had, it would be so cool if you could do it and it would take the sting out of the fact the story mode is not great.

Roto13

It seems Raphael may have been in limbo or the equivalent in this world (the place Patroklos visits). His story mentions climbing endless stairs and there are such stairs around Edge Master's stage.

We only have two vampires in SC so we don't know how they're supposed to age.

About the voice, as mentioned,
Dumas and Raphael share a voice and if they're doing the same shenanigans with Amy and Viola then duh

Raphael and Dumas don't have the same voice. >_>

Hcoregamer00

Training with Leixia at first. Tomorrow, however. Tomorrow I will learn EVERYTHING.

Agreed, the game has an amazing graphics engine.

LowParry

I'm completely there with ya. I like all the characters and how they play. Best looking fighter hands down.

Skilletor

Yeah, the game is a graphical powerhouse. It's amazing how good it looks, full HD, running at 60fps. SO good.

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, the game is a graphical powerhouse. It's amazing how good it looks, full HD, running at 60fps. SO good.

Yeah, I hope that Team Soul has plenty of time to work on the next-gen consoles so that SC6 would be an amazing showcase fighter like SC1-5 have been.

How much AA does this game have? I rarely notice jaggies when the game runs.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Graphics fidelity and detail id have to agree. Is anyone other than me a bit underwhelmed with some of the backgrounds though? My favorite one is the mechanical spider and i kinda wish there were more akin to that one that pushed the artistic sensibility a bit further.

Hcoregamer00

Well, if they were meant to be the same person, they'd probably have the same VA in English too. Lots of games use the same actors for multiple roles.

Is Amy's English VA also the same person as Viola's English VA?

You have established that the JPN VA are the same.

Skilletor

2 things:

How's netcode?
What version is "the best"?

I will run out and buy this tomorrow. :p!

Net code is SUPER good. I'm shocked at how playable it is. The online features are also really cool, being able to set your location and find people near you is great.

I haven't heard anybody saying there's a difference between the two versions.

LowParry

2 things:

How's netcode?
What version is "the best"?

I will run out and buy this tomorrow. :p!

Netcode has been pretty good. 3 bar games you'll experience you're typical lag but if you find your 4 - 5 bar games, very very playable. Version....ehhhhh, can't say for sure. I haven't read of any problems with either. So probably safe to go the route of "whatever friends are playing" version.

Hcoregamer00

Netcode has been pretty good. 3 bar games you'll experience you're typical lag but if you find your 4 - 5 bar games, very very playable. Version....ehhhhh, can't say for sure. I haven't read of any problems with either. So probably safe to go the route of "whatever friends are playing" version.

Bingo, most my friends have PS3's so I got the PS3 version.

The game looks GORGEOUS on my PS3 :D

mr_boo

Maybe I'm have the settings wrong on my PS3 or something (HDMI input) ... when I first popped in the disc, it was running at 480p. It was only until enabled 720p that I actually got HD - I couldn't get it to 1080i/1080p. Just to confirm (on PS3), what settings do folks enable in their Display Settings?

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, they're the same. I play in English and noticed it as soon as she opened her mouth. :p

I only played it in Japanese and I kind of noticed the similarities in the voice, but I thought it was just me thinking it was Amy's voice due to a very similar appearance and me transferring the perception of Amy's voice.

Same JPN and English VA for both characters, that pretty much seals the deal.

Top Bottom