• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I wonder if this game will have legs with the competitive community.
Or even just fighting fans in general.

There seems to just be so many games in that market already... and more coming.
I'd be extra bitter if I lost my SC because they failed at their attempt to chase after the Capcom audience at the expense of fans like me.

Do 3D fighters generally stick around anyway? Is VF still a thing? I remember there was high praise when that was released years ago.

We've seen the Japanese numbers, but have we seen the North American sales yet?

VF has a small but dedicated fanbase. SC will be fine. It's not really competing against 2d junk like SFxTekken.

frequency

I didn't mean to be all doom and gloom.

I was just wondering after reading the other two posts and seeing the Japanese numbers.
I was thinking about all the tournament streams and stuff I casually watched, and there are never 3D fighting games.

I want this game to do well. And I want that to mean an SC6 really soon with proper single player now that they have their system down. Considering the time between 4 and 5, if I have to wait 3+ years for SC6, I would be very sad.

VF has a small but dedicated fanbase. SC will be fine. It's not really competing against 2d junk like SFxTekken.

I never see VF tournaments and stuff. It's been a long time since the last one too.
But it's good to hear it's still got a healthy community.

I never see VF tournaments and stuff. It's been a long time since the last one too.

Disregarding the small playerbase outside Japan, you won't ever see VF at console tournaments because nobody liked to play an outdated version.
It's nice we're finally getting parity with the arcade release in the west though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I was just wondering after reading the other two posts and seeing the Japanese numbers.
I was thinking about all the tournament streams and stuff I casually watched, and there are never 3D fighting games.

I want this game to do well. And I want that to mean an SC6 really soon with proper single player now that they have their system down. Considering the time between 4 and 5, if I have to wait 3+ years for SC6, I would be very sad.

I think this game will do good in the competitive scene. Especially considering how much more interesting the game mechanics are.

alstein

If you're up late at night on Saturdays, you can often see tournies on VFDC streams. Sometimes I watch late at night at work, though I don't really like watching streams, I want to actually play something.

scosher

3D fighters have, for whatever reasons (maybe nostalgia?), always been less popular than their 2D brethren. I wouldn't take the opinion of just 2 GAFer's who are admitted 2D fans to heart. The game was received well by a lot of the competitive community, including old SC2 fans, Tekken players, etc. And the game is a lot more fun to spectate than previous versions or especially Bob vs. Bob Tekken matches. But even then, I wouldn't expect it to ever reach MvC3 or SSFIV levels of hype and viewership.

Also, if there is an SC6, I get the feeling it'll be on next gen consoles, so it'll be a bit of a wait regardless.

frequency

3D fighters have, for whatever reasons (maybe nostalgia?), always been less popular than their 2D brethren. I wouldn't take the opinion of just 2 GAFer's who are admitted 2D fans to heart. The game was received well by a lot of the competitive community, including old SC2 fans, Tekken players, etc. And the game is a lot more fun to spectate than previous versions or especially Bob vs. Bob Tekken matches. But even then, I wouldn't expect it to ever reach MvC3 or SSFIV levels of hype and viewership.

Also, if there is an SC6, I get the feeling it'll be on next gen consoles, so it'll be a bit of a wait regardless.

Well, maybe not an SC6. But an updated version with more content and rebalancing if it needs it.

Anyway, I guess it's all wait and see right now. I would definitely love to see more SC tourney streams though. I enjoy the few I've seen more than the Capcom stuff.

Doomshine

I would say this is a US thing also, the gap is definitely not the same worldwide. Remember that the biggest fanbase for Street Fighter is in the US.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks buying this game the week of release and not getting Dampierre. He looks really fun.

FinKL

Ok, I just found out that Pyrrha's 1AA is very unsafe on block.

Any other decent move of hers that's fast on startup and safe on block?

Everyone wants fast moves on startup and safe on block :p there aren't very many special ones because everyone would abuse them.

Stick to her AA(i11) and BB(i14). Use 2A(i13) & 6BK(i13) to interrupt. 2A Gives more frame advantage, but I think 6BK will reach a tinsy bit further.

Use 66A to close the gap great move, I don't remember it being punishable?

I rarely use 1AA, it's so slow. Only for randomly throwing it out there and BE ing it. And besides that, the only other reason someone would block low against Pyrrha is to guess throw.

Doomshine

Man, I can already tell that it's going take a while for me to get good at this game, having played nothing but Tekken since SC3 I'm so used to Tekken's movement right now. I keep trying to backdash cancel and forgetting that I have a block button.

I could really use a Level Up Your Game episode for this.

Ferrio

Banned
It sucks buying this game the week of release and not getting Dampierre. He looks really fun.

I've seen him twice so far myself. The first one wasn't good at the game. The second one purposely used his run away moves to throw himself outta the ring.

Alx

I just ordered the official guide from Amazon UK (among other things), but they tell me it won't arrive until the 25th. :(

GrayFoxPL

Guys, how is your online character encounter chart?

Me(in Europe): mostly ranked, among colloseum, player.

Mitsurugi - moderate
Nightmare - f'n army
Viola - quite few surprisingly
Ezio - billions
Siegfred - moderate
Natsu - Army
Devil Jin - met one that wasn't me
Raphael - met 2
Pyrra - few
Xiba - 1/10 of SC4 Killiks.
Ivy - moderate
Leixia - many
Aeon - Army
Cervantes - many
Astaroth - moderate
Maxi - met 2
Patroklos - met 1
Tira - none
Voldo - none
Yoshi - almost none
Zwei - none
Hilde - none
Algol - none
Alpha - none
Omega - none
Dampiere - none

Skilletor

In the 50 matches I've played, Mitsu and Xiba are by far the most encountered. I've met a few Ezios, a few Natsus, a couple nightmares.

Mitsu and Xiba are Ryu and Ken in my experience.

my guide should be arriving on Monday, can't wait because I need help, lol

my biggest problem is figuring out my opponent's characters that am unfamiliar with

I see alot of Cervantes, Xiba, Nightmare, Natsu, Mitsu, Ezio. Everybody else is here and there.

I play Mitsu, so I add to that Mitsu count, heh.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Not playing SCV for a couple days is murder on your ranking. FFFFFFFFf-

Damn you college and obligations.

Regarding online matches so far I've seen on Xbox 360, combination of coliseum and ranked matches:

Extremely Popular:

Ezio, Nightmare, Mitsu, Natsu

Common:

Cervy, Pat, Pyrra, Xiba, Siegfried

Rare:

Everyone else

Generally the same here, except I don't run into many Ezios at all, and I think I've seen more Omegas then regular Pyrrhas. Also a surprising amount of Tiras.

Esura

Banned
Everyone wants fast moves on startup and safe on block :p there aren't very many special ones because everyone would abuse them.

Stick to her AA(i11) and BB(i14). Use 2A(i13) & 6BK(i13) to interrupt. 2A Gives more frame advantage, but I think 6BK will reach a tinsy bit further.

Use 66A to close the gap great move, I don't remember it being punishable?

I rarely use 1AA, it's so slow. Only for randomly throwing it out there and BE ing it. And besides that, the only other reason someone would block low against Pyrrha is to guess throw.
What is i11, i14, and i13? I guess these moves are a start though. I need to get off 1AA if I want to be a better player.

I swear playing online warps my perception of good moves and bad. Check out my new videos I uploaded with 1AA abuse. lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterEsura

Roto13

Everyone else in the world can apparently guard while they're on the ground and I can't even block anything when I'm standing up and doing absolutely nothing else.

Ferrio

Banned
What is i11, i14, and i13? I guess these moves are a start though. I need to get off 1AA if I want to be a better player.

I swear playing online warps my perception of good moves and bad. Check out my new videos I uploaded with 1AA abuse. lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterEsura

i=impact. Basically how many frames until the move gets to it's hit frames. The lower the number, the faster the move comes out. Seems i10 and lower is godly, i11-13 good punishers.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
i = impact, how long a move takes to hit. The lower the number, the faster. Anything in the lower teens and below is relatively fast in the game.

That's what I dig about Calibur - you have to commit to your read. :)

zlatko

Banned
Everyone else in the world can apparently guard while they're on the ground and I can't even block anything when I'm standing up and doing absolutely nothing else.

I had a clutch as fuck win on someone where I was on the ground, no health, they had like 30%, and I was mashing A to stand up, my character wouldn't stand, I saw the sweep low coming, and just quick double QCF into ABK as I mashed A, which resulted in me getting my critical edge off, but at no point did my character stand up. Just laying on his back and went right into a critical edge.

That guy must have been salty as fuck.

GrayFoxPL

I had a clutch as fuck win on someone where I was on the ground, no health, they had like 30%, and I was mashing A to stand up, my character wouldn't stand, I saw the sweep low coming, and just quick double QCF into ABK as I mashed A, which resulted in me getting my critical edge off, but at no point did my character stand up. Just laying on his back and went right into a critical edge.

That guy must have been salty as fuck.

My CE never comes out when I want it.

Ferrio

Banned
One thing I'm bad at is I always SS downwards, never up. Guess it doesn't matter since I don't know other characters' moves and their tracking properties yet.

GrayFoxPL

One thing I'm bad at is I always SS downwards, never up. Guess it doesn't matter since I don't know other characters' moves and their tracking properties yet.

Haha, oh yes, that's me too. So I sidestep up 95% of the time.
Edit:Wait, I'm stupid. I'm the other way around then you.

I must complement Soul team on making pretty awesome player match lobby. Very "right".

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Haha, me too. All the moves that work both directions(99, 33 or 88, 22) I ALWAYS go down, need to stop doing that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Reading up on a lot of the character biographies both in the strat guide and online, shows how much work was put into the story materials, except there's no in-game encyclopedia for it all. Even the stages in the game aren't really random, and have a lot of details for the story.

For instance, based on what I can figure out, the active battlefield stage with the armies and war elephants is Hilda's stage because of her forces fighting the forces of malfested / Graf Dumas. But even more, it also ties into Dampierre as apparently Graf Dumas hired mercenary forces out - stuff like those war elephants are actually supplied by Dampierre himself!

Yet perversely the only character who doesn't have a pre-set home stage is Dampierre even though he has his own theme. I'd think something like a modification of the battlefield with the forces still arranged in the staging phase would have suited him.

And so many other details in the background, that have to do with biography and plot.

frequency

Reading up on a lot of the character biographies both in the strat guide and online, shows how much work was put into the story materials, except there's no in-game encyclopedia for it all. Even the stages in the game aren't really random, and have a lot of details for the story.

For instance, based on what I can figure out, the active battlefield stage with the armies and war elephants is Hilda's stage because of her forces fighting the forces of malfested / Graf Dumas. But even more, it also ties into Dampierre as apparently Graf Dumas hired mercenary forces out - stuff like those war elephants are actually supplied by Dampierre himself!

Yet perversely the only character who doesn't have a pre-set home stage is Dampierre even though he has his own theme. I'd think something like a modification of the battlefield with the forces still arranged in the staging phase would have suited him.

And so many other details in the background, that have to do with biography and plot.

This post makes me sad.
Why didn't they at least put the text in the game in some menu? Ugh.
I'd love to read all of that, but I don't want to have to go to an outside source to find the story of the game. The way this content is handled is so frustrating.

zlatko

Banned
My CE never comes out when I want it.

Mine will get stuffed probably 2 or 3 out of 5 times I try it raw, so I don't bother much to use it unless I am in the situation like the one I mentioned.

I have an easy 115+ combo that works universally always for spending a CE as Devil Jin. There's a few other means I can combo into it, but generally when I have the CE, I will fish for the down down B or up up B, into the combo, then CE for the extra juice.

GrayFoxPL

Mine will get stuffed probably 2 or 3 out of 5 times I try it raw, so I don't bother much to use it unless I am in the situation like the one I mentioned.

I have an easy 115+ combo that works universally always for spending a CE as Devil Jin. There's a few other means I can combo into it, but generally when I have the CE, I will fish for the down down B or up up B, into the combo, then CE for the extra juice.

What is the most reliable combo with CE while online?

I swear when I try juggling into CE DJ just splats opponent to the ground and doesn't do full animation.

Top Bottom