• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Dueck

Banned
I dumped Raph for Asta. Raph seems to be worse then SC4 Mina, she had it rough but I could play with her.

Apparently SC5 tanked in Japan. Only 40k sales first week, SC4 did 100k in its first week.
(source: twitter for botoggle- fairly reliable source)

That said, according to the same source, UMVC3 had the same numbers.

The biggest difference between this and UMVC3 is that Capcom released Ultimate 9 months after the original's debut. It's understandable that it was a bit underwhelming. SoulCalibur, on the other hand, hasn't seen a new release in years. That means either people don't care as much as they once did, or word of mouth has been poor enough to heavily impact sales. Either way, it's bad news. Namco now has the tough decision to make of whether they should cave into their fans, and release a newer version a year from now with Taki/Talim/etc thrown in, and intros/endings, or if they just say "screw it, fans will buy this eventually," and make no plans for another SC in the near future.

V_Arnold

The biggest difference between this and UMVC3 is that Capcom released Ultimate 9 months after the original's debut. It's understandable that it was a bit underwhelming. SoulCalibur, on the other hand, hasn't seen a new release in years. That means either people don't care as much as they once did, or word of mouth has been poor enough to heavily impact sales. Either way, it's bad news. Namco now has the tough decision to make of whether they should cave into their fans, and release a newer version a year from now with Taki/Talim/etc thrown in, and intros/endings, or if they just say "screw it, fans will buy this eventually," and make no plans for another SC in the near future.

..or there is s third option where they understand that SCIV did hurt the series's image and the way to restore it is to keep improving the current SCV, introduce DLC characters and keep a strong and positive word of mouth ongoing, and regardless of its sales, the momentum will be positive for the franchise - that will allow the NEXT iteration to get bigger sales.

alstein

..or there is s third option where they understand that SCIV did hurt the series's image and the way to restore it is to keep improving the current SCV, introduce DLC characters and keep a strong and positive word of mouth ongoing, and regardless of its sales, the momentum will be positive for the franchise - that will allow the NEXT iteration to get bigger sales.

The third option is what they're going for I believe.

I think what killed them was gutting the SP content.

maomaoIYP

Has anybody seen that CAS piece with that puts all the drums around you? Shit is ridiculous, lol. It's like that dumb feather Blanka costume in AE. I can't see shit!, haha.

Here is a vid of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBImMzXG2hU

It's the thunder god drums from the thunder god of japanese mythology

Asking again because nobody answered.

You'll unlock tonnes more later. I can translate whichever ones you'd like, send me a PM with a pic or something.

DR2K

Banned
Was Soulcalibur ever that big in Japan to begin with?

Bigger than this, but like most fighters it's declined signifigantly. This could be back lash for removing fan favorites/single player modes/sex appeal/no arcade.

You leave my first SC main alone :mad:

Bigger than this, but like most fighters it's declined signifigantly. This could be back lash for removing fan favorites/single player modes/sex appeal/no arcade.

Pretty sure this is important. Honestly, have console fighters, ports or otherwise, even sold that well in Japan this gen?

DR2K

Banned
You leave my first SC main alone :mad:

Pretty sure this is important. Honestly, have console fighters, ports or otherwise, even sold that well in Japan this gen?

Nope, not really. More than SCV usually, but 90+% for fighters is almost always outside of Japan.

Instead he has strength and dedication. Plus he's hot as hell and makes smart life choices.

And his incoming silver fox makeover will set the world on fire.
Have I ever told you I like you? Because I like you.

Back during the Soul Blade days when I was a kid, Hwang/CG-intro Hwang was eye candy. Then he looked so much better in Soul Calibur. I always liked picking him.

d0c_zaius

Just wanted to say....

The first time I (ever) turned on my Dreamcast and watched the Soulcalibur intro with a dorm room full of friends on my giant Sony Trinitron.. was one of the greatest moments/memories in my history of gaming. At the time it was like...."Shit..it doesn't get better than this." And truly, those moments don't happen often.

please continue...

you are correct sir.

I keep playing this like SC1/2 and not 5 :(

I think first month is a bit early to be talking about balance issues. Always amusing to me when people insist on doing so. Week 1 assumptions are just knee jerk reactions.

We'll see what happens at the first major.

natsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Its cool though they are going to add Gamma Voldo for DLC.

Kurod

Banned
I give up. I'm playing with a wired connection showing 4 or even 5 bars sometimes and I'm still getting disconnected on a regular basis tonight.

What was bad in SCIV aside from the Star Wars characters? (I was really looking for something)
I honestly think SCIII was the worse, but me and dual shock have never gotten along when it comes to fighters.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to pick up a guide today at my local Gamestop, but they were sold out. :( Need that frame data so I can start grinding on punishes/interrupts...

Ferrio

Banned
GGs tonight guys. That seigfried tearing my ass up. It's a weird position for tira i think. I can get in seig's face, but i don't really have any fast attacks. I swear ever match I'd win the first round, get my gloomy stance. Then get beat outta the stance before I could even use it :(

kiryogi

Banned
GGs tonight guys. That seigfried tearing my ass up. It's a weird position for tira i think. I can get in seig's face, but i don't really have any fast attacks. I swear ever match I'd win the first round, get my gloomy stance. Then get beat outta the stance before I could even use it :(

D: I need to learn how to read his lows before anything else XD I think I have a better hold on Tira after using her today too. I wailed on another friend local with Natsu/Hilde/Tira. Tho I didn't get as much time with Tira to get a game plan down unlike Natsu/Hilde. But at least I know how she works and what to look out for.

Also son, am disappoint you weren't using Kitty!

Ferrio

Banned
D: I need to learn how to read his lows before anything else XD I think I have a better hold on Tira after using her today too. I wailed on another friend local with Natsu/Hilde/Tira. Tho I didn't get as much time with Tira to get a game plan down unlike Natsu/Hilde. But at least I know how she works and what to look out for.

Also son, am disappoint you weren't using Kitty!

Well, i was having trouble with kitty. Thing is Tira has sound cues that tells me which stance she's in. When I was playing Kitty there were quite a few times I thought I was in a particular stance but wasn't.

mugwhump

Dammit, why don't they have a rematch option for colliseo or ranked? I spend over half my time in menus. And waiting for other people to finish playing in rooms is super lame. Do I need to make a 2 person room if I want to just PLAY?

Also, I'm hooked up via Connection Sharing with my laptop. Will that hurt my speeds?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't understand how to fight against algol. it seems like with all the other characters you can at least have some kind of expectations. but with algol he might just fly across half the stage while a sword comes out his butt and stabs you in the back somehow.

Top Bottom