• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

census on leixua?
my old mains were xiangua, talim and ivy...
talim is not there, ivy i've yet to try.. leixua feels.. different...
maybe i just have to get the ropes with her, i dunno...

V_Arnold

Leixia is AMAZING from what I can tell. She has an easy way to confirm into her CE, she is fast, is able to punish, and has some good mixups. I cant judge balance (and I wont), but that is as solid of a fundamental for any character as it gets.

jmdajr

Bigger than this, but like most fighters it's declined signifigantly. This could be back lash for removing fan favorites/single player modes/sex appeal/no arcade.

but(t)....

pvU0s.jpg

In all seriousness I'm surprised how much better the graphics really were. I was very impressed, especially with the facial animations.

I'm loving this game so far. It seems to be really enjoyable at both ends of the casual and hardcore spectrum, which is extremely rare for a FG. I hope it has some legs and isn't a bomba like some earlier posts suggested.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't really understand how project soul has managed to make the game look this good

it's like leaps and bounds better looking than any other (3d) fighter on the market

i don't really understand how project soul has managed to make the game look this good

it's like leaps and bounds better looking than any other (3d) fighter on the market

Not having to adhere to an arcade hardware standard certainly helps. Console-only fighters tend to play to the consoles strengths. DOA5 is looking visually impressive too.

Doomshine

Yay, finally got the game! I completely skipped 4 and this will be the first I actually try to learn properly and not just do whatever.

I want to play Raphael, but I guess I might as well start with Patroklos since I will be playing him in story mode in addition to some other characters? Also interested in trying Siegfried, Zwei and Patsuka.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dammit, why don't they have a rematch option for colliseo or ranked? I spend over half my time in menus. And waiting for other people to finish playing in rooms is super lame. Do I need to make a 2 person room if I want to just PLAY?

Also, I'm hooked up via Connection Sharing with my laptop. Will that hurt my speeds?
To prevent boosting.

GrayFoxPL

but(t)....

pvU0s.jpg

In all seriousness I'm surprised how much better the graphics really were. I was very impressed, especially with the facial animations.

More polygons on ass and cooch - Mmmmm.

I couldn't connect to anyone today, not ranked not player or coliseum Tested a changed my router settings 6 times. When I decided to resign as a last step I went into tiny london coliseum 5 or 10% and surprise! I connected to everyone! Seems the less populated the better. My connection handles fights well but craps out trying to follow all that's happening in 95% populated lobby.
Ranked searching seems to process to much shit too as it takes many minutes and a miracle to find a match. Mk, sf4, Tekken 6, BB is blazing quick in comparison.

Hope they patch the search engine, unless it's only me.:/

Tried Algol - holy mother! He's totally different character then sc4 and 10 times easier to handle. Tried him online few times but lost and I got back to Devil Jin :p.
Ezio is pissing me off.

Oh one more thing:
How to register a rival?

Doomshine

Is there any way to display moves in practice mode from the move list and cycle through them without going back into the menu? If there is I can't seem to figure it out.

Doomshine

Press up/down during move display to go the next. Left/right to change category.

I guess I worded it poorly, sorry, I meant display the commands for one move at a time on screen while I'm practicing. Can you only do that for the ones with the tips like 6BBB for Patroklos?

GrayFoxPL

I guess I worded it poorly, sorry, I meant display the commands for one move at a time on screen while I'm practicing. Can you only do that for the ones with the tips like 6AAA for Patroklos?

Yeah, only "main" moves, there's no option for full list while practicing. I know, sucks.

V_Arnold

Wow, went to my first SCV local tourney. 20-24 players, placed 4th.
Destroyed my first few opponents with Xiba mixups easily, then fought against a solid Devil Jin - someone I do not played against in its SCV form aside from maybe one or two live ranked games. That put me in the loser's bracket where I met my XBL nemesis friend who plays Patroklos - and it was close, but I lost.

I do not feel bad though. I have done a lot of surprise last frame counter Ultras, I kept my overall balance in the matches - now it is time to hit the lab.

Valnen

Apparently a ketchup bottle can beat arcade mode. Just get an arcade stick, turn turbo on, put the bottle on vertical attack with Raphael, and hit X every now and then and you'll win 99% of the time. No real interaction required.

kiryogi

Banned
Just fought an amazing Viola. I was juggled in the twice as long as with the GAFer violas. Was like a 14 hit juggle.
Huh? Q's Viola does 14 hits normally and 19+ at times too.

Re: Leixia. She's decent, but her mixup options were nerfed a bit in that they're mostly 8WR now.

Ferrio

Banned
Huh? Q's Viola does 14 hits normally and 19+ at times too.

Re: Leixia. She's decent, but her mixup options were nerfed a bit in that they're mostly 8WR now.

Naw this guy was doing quite a bit more I think, of course I haven't seen Q since the game came out so who knows.

Because I use Wolf, Jeff and El Blaze in VF. Astaroth is my main somehow, lol. Been using him for two days, got some offline matches with the top players in NYC, and I did very well. To bad you can't save offline replays. Mitsu is gone, and hello Astaroth! He reminds of Jeff sooooo much! That knee on counter is godlike. And the mix up after that..:O so good. I'll get some online Matches later on the day and show gaf what's good. BTW, this is my favorite 3D fighter since VF5....

alstein

Because I use Wolf, Jeff and El Blaze in VF. Astaroth is my main somehow, lol. Been using him for two days, got some offline matches with the top players in NYC, and I did very well. To bad you can't save offline replays. Mitsu is gone, and hello Astaroth! He reminds of Jeff sooooo much! That knee on counter is godlike. And the mix up after that..:O so good. I'll get some online Matches later on the day and show gaf what's good. BTW, this is my favorite 3D fighter since VF5....

Wow, I was coming to the same conclusion (also was a Jeff player)- feels like Jeff with Wolf grabs.

Also, I think he can blow up the fuzzy guard with his throw, as if someone tries to do it they get air thrown.

Wow, I was coming to the same conclusion (also was a Jeff player)- feels like Jeff with Wolf grabs.

Also, I think he can blow up the fuzzy guard with his throw, as if someone tries to do it they get air thrown.

Yup, his command grabs reminds me of Wolf a lot. I love the fact that his 3G+A or B are awesome tools for OKI. When I get my 88+B to connect, I do a 3G+A or B for a low throw tech trap. Homeboy is solid. looking forward to put more work in.

Ties

Banned
Does anyone know any general matchup tips dealing with Yoshimitsu, Natsu, and Xiba?

Every time I run into one in ranked they destroy me in mere seconds lol

Esura

Banned
Ok, I just found out that Pyrrha's 1AA is very unsafe on block.

Any other decent move of hers that's fast on startup and safe on block?

Esura

Banned
236B but it's not safe, it's her best punisher for pretty much anything

Oh, I should try that.

I'm noticing a lot of my moves are getting stuffed by other characters moves, particularly Xiba and Natsu, and I figured Pyrrha has to have some decent pokes to counter that.

alstein

Yup, his command grabs reminds me of Wolf a lot. I love the fact that his 3G+A or B are awesome tools for OKI. When I get my 88+B to connect, I do a 3G+A or B for a low throw tech trap. Homeboy is solid. looking forward to put more work in.

I try to not use that move period unless BE'ing, so I can get his 28B+G for the 110 damage.

The ground grabs seem to set up a VF-style nitaku perfectly if you nail them. (unsure if anything is guaranteed after them)

The downside is I feel like I'm not playing Soul Calibur when I'm playing him, and run into big trouble if I run into someone who forces me to play Soul Calibur.

kiryogi

Banned
Nah thats fine. It's getting late at this point XD Gonna just play some Raid and then head to bed. Let's try again tomorrow!

Also where was Q?!

Lokbob

I already sold the game. :|. Never was a big fan of 3D Fighting Games but gave it a shot and played about 150 Games with Nightmare.
Don't like all those 50/50 Situations, if i guess right i win if not i loose. You basically have to learn every Matchup, to see in the start Frames if the opponent goes for a low or mid.
Atleast in my experience with this game though I'm not good of course and never played Soul Calibur before.

Too much work - SFXT is coming out soon.

kaioshade

I already sold the game. :|. Never was a big fan of 3D Fighting Games but gave it a shot and played about 150 Games with Nightmare.
Don't like all those 50/50 Situations, if i guess right i win if not i loose. You basically have to learn every Matchup, to see in the start Frames if the opponent goes for a low or mid.
Atleast in my experience with this game though I'm not good of course and never played Soul Calibur before.

Too much work - SFXT is coming out soon.

I havent sold it, but i do feel the same way. The game has been regulated to "casual fighter" for me. It is definitely an extremely well made game, but the mechanics do not mesh with me that well.

On to SFxT

frequency

I wonder if this game will have legs with the competitive community.
Or even just fighting fans in general.

There seems to just be so many games in that market already... and more coming.
I'd be extra bitter if I lost my SC because they failed at their attempt to chase after the Capcom audience at the expense of fans like me.

Do 3D fighters generally stick around anyway? Is VF still a thing? I remember there was high praise when that was released years ago.

We've seen the Japanese numbers, but have we seen the North American sales yet?

V_Arnold

What the hell, guys.

Being at an SC tourney last night, I easily confirmed that the game is almost as entertaining to watch as SSFIV/UMVC3, and that is a good sign.

The game is gonna stick around, hopefully.

Top Bottom