• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I also can't imagine not customizing the controls before playing a fighting game. :p I have it set to R2.

Comes down to tase I suppose. It's more convenient for session play and tournaments if you don't have to fiddle around in the config screen too long IMO.

SkylineRKR

Got the game today.

It's okay. Not really that impressed with it. Guess I expected more.

That was my first thought, but the more i spend with it the better it gets. There doesn't seem to be as many stances and different combo's as in the previous games, which is fine with me. That along with the CE's kinda bring back memories of the first Soul Edge game.

Online is more solid than I expected, that goes for its interface as well.

Just too bad that there isn't any decent single player content like SB's Edge Master mode.

zlatko

Banned
I'm making improvements and noticeable ones.

I haven't touched ranked, but now my friend who I was going 50/50 with, I'm now at a 90% win rate thanks to learning more of what my character can do, how to effectively mix it up, and capitalizing on mistakes.

V_Arnold

Haha, I just read this line in the OP:

Algol (His Body) - The Hero King from ancient times. Wielded the Soul Edge without being corrupted by its influence and created the Soulcalibur.

Freaking badass, man. Time to main this dude. I mean, RIGHT NOW. Sorry, Xiba. Sorry, Leixia. Sorry, Viola, Hilde. Sorry.

Dead Man

Finally got my hands on it. Like the fighting mkechanics so far, Pyrrha is annoying as hell though, do you have to use her a lot in story mode?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Teknopathetic confirmed for ruining me so hard that I wanted to sell the game after a few fights.

Esura

Banned
Finally got my hands on it. Like the fighting mkechanics so far, Pyrrha is annoying as hell though, do you have to use her a lot in story mode?

You mostly use Patrokolus but you'll use her quite a bit too.

Its mostly, no its pretty much Pat's and Pyrrha's story so get used to them from beginning to end. You'll probably use Zwei like...three times in the entire story mode.

Dead Man

You mostly use Patrokolus but you'll use her quite a bit too.

Its mostly, no its pretty much Pat's and Pyrrha's story so get used to them from beginning to end. You'll probably use Zwei like...three times in the entire story mode.

Thanks, oh well. I guess it will help mne to fighter her online :) I like Pat's style, so that is fine. I haven't got up to usieng Zwei yet, but he looks pretty bad arse.

Xangel

Neo Member
I fetch my Soul Calibur OST at Mail Office, just now and this includes a litte advisement that Chris Velasco footnotes are missing, but they included it at a little note in the packet...passion for details in Japanese people!.

Now listening!

alstein

Have you guys set Jacksonville as the server everyone plays on? I never see anyone there.

I want to get some Fraudsteroth practice in at some point before FR, so I don't end up spending the whole play playing VF after going 2 and out.

Roto13

Have you guys set Jacksonville as the server everyone plays on? I never see anyone there.

I want to get some Fraudsteroth practice in at some point before FR, so I don't end up spending the whole play playing VF after going 2 and out.

A few of us tried it out the other night but I don't know if anyone has been back since then. As soon as one or two of us were in there, randoms started showing up. :p Hopefully SCVI allows people to make their own Colosseos.

Finaika

Got my Collector's Edition box! :D

IMG_0336.jpg

VerTiGo

Banned
Very happy with this game. Never had the intention of buying it but it was new that week. Haven't played Soul Calibur since SC2 on the GameCube. Few weeks later and I am liking it more and more. I love that it's not heavy on the chain combos but is more of a spacing, and high-low game similar to Street Fighter. I guess that's why I could get into it probably. I don't expect to keep playing this up until SFxT comes out but who knows maybe the obsession will grow. Love Global Colosso.

VerTiGo

Banned
How would that work in a 3d fighter?

Perhaps a blocking stance while holding back or back down. You don't even need to use to block input of course but I don't see how it would work differently in a 3D fighter. It's not like SCV plays different much anyway.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Very happy with this game. Never had the intention of buying it but it was new that week. Haven't played Soul Calibur since SC2 on the GameCube. Few weeks later and I am liking it more and more. I love that it's not heavy on the chain combos but is more of a spacing, and high-low game similar to Street Fighter. I guess that's why I could get into it probably. I don't expect to keep playing this up until SFxT comes out but who knows maybe the obsession will grow. Love Global Colosso.

It's an excellent game to focus almost purely on fighting game fundamentals. Even the longest combos, with the exception of a few characters like Viola, are simple and require little memorization, just practice for timing.

But making it about weapons, seriously emphasizes those fundamentals. To me, SC is a more arcade-like Bushido Blade. You don't die in one solid hit, but it is massively about positioning, feints, and choosing the precise moment to stick an attack out.

Skilletor

Perhaps a blocking stance while holding back or back down. You don't even need to use to block input of course but I don't see how it would work differently in a 3D fighter. It's not like SCV plays different much anyway.

Being forced to charge in a direction of movement in a 3d fighter to do moves would be a horrible idea. Hilde has it right.

GrayFoxPL

But making it about weapons, seriously emphasizes those fundamentals. To me, SC is a more arcade-like Bushido Blade. You don't die in one solid hit, but it is massively about positioning, feints, and choosing the precise moment to stick an attack out.

Excellent analogy!

I once played someone just starting out in order to practice with my Voldo CaS. I kept interrupting his attacks and threw him around a lot, with the last match being a perfect.

He told everyone that he's tired of getting "spammed" and that this game sucks because of that reasoning. I told him that he should block more (because he barely did), and he said he's new and doesn't know how to do it properly.

WUT?

So, I haven't played much SC since 2, and coming into 5 feels so different, yet vaguely familiar. Mosly getting my ass handed to me online. At least it's smooth. Thing I miss from earlier games, is how guard impacts work. Now it's a 3 button press? Meh. Seems overly complicated, just to be complicated.

Well I haven't played SC since the early months of SC4.

I did enjoy it for the most part. Is V worth picking up? Is there a general opinion about the game amongst GAF?

also, are there special characters for the 360 or PS3 version that make one worth owning over the other if you have both systems? I'm as far out of the SC loop as anyone can be, so any insight will be appreciated.

So, I haven't played much SC since 2, and coming into 5 feels so different, yet vaguely familiar. Mosly getting my ass handed to me online. At least it's smooth. Thing I miss from earlier games, is how guard impacts work. Now it's a 3 button press? Meh. Seems overly complicated, just to be complicated.

A+B+K should be bound to a solo button press, so you could hit back + a single button. A lot of characters have auto GI moves as well.

Skilletor

its less complicated than 1g for mids and lows 4g for high and mid or 3g and 6g.

GrayFoxPL

Well I haven't played SC since the early months of SC4.

I did enjoy it for the most part. Is V worth picking up? Is there a general opinion about the game amongst GAF?

also, are there special characters for the 360 or PS3 version that make one worth owning over the other if you have both systems?

V is much better then IV. Didn't see much(any?) different opinions. It's much more dynamic, faster and just fun. They took out some complex combinations and moves from IV, but it seems it's for the better.

Top Bottom