• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

sleepykyo

Watching this stream, I get the sense I need to stop relying on those ex break attacks. Stuff like Pat's 66a and Pyr's 66b are going to jg'ed fairly consistently later on.

Don't let them start their offense. If they do, block and counter when you think you can, even if it's something small. Throw is one of your fastest attacks.

I'll try, but it is hard and sometimes I plain forget to press the guard button. :p
I think I have always had trouble defending in 3D fighters compared to 2D ones, both Tekken and Soulcalibur, especially. I think only in Virtua Fighter I feel that my guarding really does anything. I do try to do throws as much as possible though and it is one of the few moves I do successfully pull off within a match usually. Also, I am not sure which move to use for counters, trying to find some quick pokes currently.

soakrates

Thanks for helping to blow this up, MarkMan. We didn't have a tournament tonight, but we definitely could have with the turnout we had. Maybe next time. Thanks for watching, peeps!

Kurod

Banned
Thanks for the games, guys. Sorry about my crappy connection. I give up :(

Not sure what's going on. I get stable connections (4 and 5 bar) with ranked quite a bit. I swear I'm not in Alaska.

kiryogi

Banned
lol had to check, wanted to go play Tera or RE:R otherwise haha. GGs. Though as the night went on, started making dumb judgements and spamming stuff to confirm execution etc. It was good at first! XD

Here's the one rare occasion later in the evening where I went 3-0 with Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD6ILUd6bmA&context=C323f17aADOEgsToPDskLb8VCSjUwmFiuGgb3v8Y36

And then here's one that actually went to the final match, but as you can see what I mean about spamming the same thing. I was trying to do her 33B (Twin Rhythm) but kept getting 3B instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYKCUCV-Fso&context=C323f17aADOEgsToPDskLb8VCSjUwmFiuGgb3v8Y36

Wish I had the earlier matches before Q got "Serious" he he he.

Esura

Banned
I wasn't going to play until Monday but since I got some time before work I played a few Ranked Matches. I got my first hate mail for this game for my Pyrrha on PSN!

One from gamestaz,

"Nice 2 moves" followed by some other bull. My reply was..."lrn2block" lol

Another from A_9_in_Chubby, who I sent a "gg" message to because I had fun fighting his Astaroth and he gets mad because I said gg and because I suck and I have no skills and I only do two moves so its insulting to say gg when I won off two moves. What kind of twisted logic is that?

People, if you are tired of me doing the same moves, learn.....to.....bloooock! I'm going to upload these replays for further humiliation.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for the compliment.

I must say I thought I was watching a Tekken match for a minute. Your combos was sick. AND your CaS Jin is pretty cool. I think I may be the only SCV player out who haven't made a character yet. I just don't know what to make...yet.

Thanks much. :)
I don't use CaS often too, because I just don't remember detailed character looks. Even for simple Jin I had to quit the game mid way and google for pictures because I forgot the details.

I had an idea today for 2 characters, but it didn't work. Either I'm lacking cas items or there are none fitting.

Didn't play online today. Thought I give DJ a rest and learn Maxi. After memorizing some stuff in training I went to Arcade hard Asia route. Wasn't bad until I met Kilik as final boss.
Lost like 30 times in a row and gave up for the day. He reads button input and reacts in first frames. Unlike DJ I didn't find a trick with Maxi for easy damage against Kilik, but at least I learned Maxi's moveset because I had to try everything possible multiple times, lol.

Cool character, I think online players won't block every low on reaction like Killik. ;)

Btw they have special dialog for this fight, cool.

I wasn't going to play until Monday but since I got some time before work I played a few Ranked Matches. I got my first hate mail for this game for my Pyrrha on PSN!

One from gamestaz,

"Nice 2 moves" followed by some other bull. My reply was..."lrn2block" lol

Another from A_9_in_Chubby, who I sent a "gg" message to because I had fun fighting his Astaroth and he gets mad because I said gg and because I suck and I have no skills and I only do two moves so its insulting to say gg when I won off two moves. What kind of twisted logic is that?

People, if you are tired of me doing the same moves, learn.....to.....bloooock! I'm going to upload these replays for further humiliation.

Yeah, some people are rednecks. One time guy in ranked had mic on and my mom was in the room. Guy swears like there's no tomorrow, even more so when he lost. I was red from embarrassment.

Filth

any1 play on 360? im so terrible i wanna get some matches going on later on. add philooch please if you want some player matches.

Mognet

Are there absolutely no Australians playing SCV? I can't find anyone to play online with which have over 3 bars.

Esura

Banned
Thanks much. :)
I don't use CaS often too, because I just don't remember detailed character looks. Even for simple Jin I had to quit the game mid way and google for pictures because I forgot the details.

I had an idea today for 2 characters, but it didn't work. Either I'm lacking cas items or there are none fitting.

Didn't play online today. Thought I give DJ a rest and learn Maxi. After memorizing some stuff in training I went to Arcade hard Asia route. Wasn't bad until I met Kilik as final boss.
Lost like 30 times in a row and gave up for the day. He reads button input and reacts in first frames. Unlike DJ I didn't find a trick with Maxi for easy damage against Kilik, but at least I learned Maxi's moveset because I had to try everything possible multiple times, lol.

Cool character, I think online players won't block every low on reaction like Killik. ;)

Btw they have special dialog for this fight, cool.
I haven't even bothered to create my own character but I have been making alts for Pyrrha. Two are cool and angelic like...but the other one of her custom outfits she is only wearing a bikini though and I'm scared to post in the SCV creation thread. D:

You thought Kilik was bad on Hard, try Nightmare. I'm glad Pyrrha's AA and BB are fast and interrupts quite a bit of Nightmare's shenanigans. Luckily I only lost once and still managed a decent time.

Speaking of alternative characters though, I don't have one. I've been using Pyrrha and P. Omega at first but now I've just been using Pyrrha exclusively. I was considering learning Leixia since I did like Xianghua a lot.

Yeah, some people are rednecks. One time guy in ranked had mic on and my mom was in the room. Guy swears like there's no tomorrow, even more so when he lost. I was red from embarrassment.
My mother swears more than my brothers, dad, sailors, and I combined so my mother wouldn't care at all.

Mognet

The bars in this are weird, I also have 3 bars with fellow country men, same as with players 2-3 countries away.

I've noticed this. I'm sometimes getting 3 bars with Japanese players but when I finally get in a match with one of them, it's almost unplayable.

Esura

Banned
Wait....why are you guys trying to play Japanese people? I haven't attempted to play anyone from out the country so I can avoid harsh lag. I think the only fighter where I had ok levels of lag while playing people from other countries is Arcana Heart 3 and Blazblue.

I went to Jacksonville room XBL last night, nobody was there :(.

Play in SF room for the night. I hate when the network error shit starts going in the lobby part. Have to reset the damn 360 when it happens.

Mognet

Wait....why are you guys trying to play Japanese people? I haven't attempted to play anyone from out the country so I can avoid harsh lag. I think the only fighter where I had ok levels of lag while playing people from other countries is Arcana Heart 3 and Blazblue.

I was surprised to see 3 bar connection from Japan so I went ahead and tried it but unsurprisingly it was very laggy. I still see a lot of 3 bar connections from people outside of my country.

GrayFoxPL

I haven't even bothered to create my own character but I have been making alts for Pyrrha. Two are cool and angelic like...but the other one of her custom outfits she is only wearing a bikini though and I'm scared to post in the SCV creation thread. D:

You thought Kilik was bad on Hard, try Nightmare. I'm glad Pyrrha's AA and BB are fast and interrupts quite a bit of Nightmare's shenanigans. Luckily I only lost once and still managed a decent time.

Speaking of alternative characters though, I don't have one. I've been using Pyrrha and P. Omega at first but now I've just been using Pyrrha exclusively. I was considering learning Leixia since I did like Xianghua a lot.

My mother swears more than my brothers, dad, sailors, and I combined so my mother wouldn't care at all.

Post away those Pyrrhas, don't shy away.

About the AI, they programed it on harder levels with an old school "Cpu mind reading", but forgot to implement proper reaction to DevilJin's 88KK, A+B (Laser), normally you just roll to the side and laser will miss, cpu just stands up and eats whole 40% damage.
Without this I wouldn't finish Legendary Souls so easily, lol. Now if only Maxi had that...

My mom can swear too, unfairly she gives me "that" look when I do :p. But yeah, she comes in and there's "Fuck! You whore! You bitch fucker!"etc. coming from tv, so I'm like:"Uhh...nice manners, right?" ;)

Found fresh(1day old!) Maxi combo vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHNkQW3MRg

Sweet!

Hydrogen

Banned
Game got a little too hardcore for me. Big combos, no more GI and JG is just impossible. Should i waste my bars on missed GIs or boring supers? I don't feel like doing any of those...

Creation got improved but seems to have way less items than IV and III had. Also, still no face editor... I can create 50 characters but only have like 5 faces to choose from? Lots of twin brothers eh?

Im still enjoying it, but damn...

Tell me about it. I was playing on my brother AlphaDragoon's PSN ID the other day and I'm in the LA Global Colosseo as I usually am, and some dude named ZEUSWINSSCV or something was talking all this crap about how good he is and asking "Doesn't anyone GOOD play this game". I do my random matches as normal and he comes up so I pick my Sieg and go for it, curious to see if he's as good as he thinks he is. In a word...no.

Dude picks Asta and goes for the same canned Asta spam like the 1AA, random unblockables and the whole thing. I stomp him two rounds and on the third he starts actually changing it up and gets me to 25% life. This whole time he's been pushing to RO me so I respond by 2B+Ging his ass off the edge. I go to log off and log in as my own ID and a message comes up calling me a "fag". I'm thinking, "lol really" and send a message back to him informing him he might want to take care of those anger issues, and proceed to block him. My brother is sitting next to me laughing his ass off. Not only are you a bigot, you're gonna get mad at me because I beat you at your own RO game? Get outta here with that.

By the way, if anyone ever wants to play from GAF just send a message to InfiniDragon615 on PSN. I play Sieg, Pyrrha and Alpha Pat with a bit of Raph and Hilde on the side.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game got a little too hardcore for me. Big combos, no more GI and JG is just impossible. Should i waste my bars on missed GIs or boring supers? I don't feel like doing any of those...

Creation got improved but seems to have way less items than IV and III had. Also, still no face editor... I can create 50 characters but only have like 5 faces to choose from? Lots of twin brothers eh?

Im still enjoying it, but damn...
I already anticipate this is how I'm gonna feel 2 weeks after I get the game.

That isn't gonna stop me from getting it though, I feel terrible about not playing a Soul Calibur game since SCII. I didn't even know SCIII existed until I heard of SCIV.

I'm banking a lot of my enjoyment on how much I use/like the character creator.

louie

I hate ranked matches so much. Making me think I'm really good at this game, only to find out that the real competition is in player matches.

Noaloha

Adding the win/loss stats for Ranked, Player and Collosseo matches together, I end up at 13 wins and 50 losses. That's pretty much the best win% I've ever had online in a fighting game!

Yama

Loving Natsu. Completely 'nerfed' as far as make it safe options in comparison to SC2 Taki (no EXC cancels, normals into possession, etc.) who was all about in your face mix up, but has so many other tools that allow her to get in almost as good just in a different manner. In regards to her placement in this game, she seems very good.

Really enjoying this game and that's coming from an OG SCII competitive player, which says a lot. In the day won a bunch of weeklys at CTF, locals, casual tourney at The Break but couldn't attend nationals due to finances (was in high school and this is before all of the FG hype and sponsors). In ways, I gave up on the series post SCII but this is the title that is bringing me back. I am truly enjoying everything about it. Ironically I thought the series was headed in the wrong direction, but the game flows fairly well. It seems a bit slow at it's core, but just guards and a beautifully fast quick step help speed things up.

I've been playing player match against randoms for a week now, like 190-10 or so. The net code has been spectacular as a whole! My only gripe is many people leaving after a single match, not wanting to practice and step it up. The process is becoming slow (forget ranked, takes forever). So if anyone would like to play and/or practice some, please do add me.

XBL: YamaMX

I hate ranked matches so much. Making me think I'm really good at this game, only to find out that the real competition is in player matches.
Goes fairly well with my above post, haha. Very true. :)

Kurod

Banned
Ugh. Took me almost 20 minutes to beat the A2 ranked Leixia in quick battle. I swear this thing is reading my inputs and reacting accordingly. A1 Mitsu was so much easier it's not even funny.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat Harada and Edge master in quick battle. Wasn't too bad. Though Harada with those wind god fists is fucking annoying.

Guesong

So I've pretty much tried every weapon style and I don't like any of them. Except Aeon who is barely tolerable and apparantly everywhere online so bleh

What to do, GAF, when you like the game but despise all the options offered to you? >_>

Ferrio

Banned
So I've pretty much tried every weapon style and I don't like any of them. Except Aeon who is barely tolerable and apparantly everywhere online so bleh

What to do, GAF, when you like the game but despise all the options offered to you? >_>

What are you trying to look for...?

GrayFoxPL

Yun-Seong.

>_>

Always liked his style, partly because he had a greater arsenal of K moves than most and good mobility.

Lol, couldn't you ask if he's in before buying the game?

Anyway I understand, I mained him in 4. Probably future dlc.

Everyone has good mobility in this compared to 4.

Sectus

I think I might be kinda in the same boat. My main character isn't in SC5 and I've been looking around for a new main character. I started playing as Raphael, but I'm having a hard time properly using his preparation stance. I randomly played some SC4 earlier today and it felt really discouraging that Raphael is so so much easier to play as in SC4. I'm not quite sure if I should stick with Raphael or try someone else.

Guesong

Lol, couldn't you ask if he's in before buying the game?

Anyway I understand, I mained him in 4. Probably future dlc.

Everyone has good mobility in this compared to 4.

I knew he wasn't in, but I like the SC series and I thought I'd find a suitable replacement for him.

And scratch mobility, I think the correct term I should have used was swiftness, rather. Good start-up frames on most attacks, maybe an auto-evade stance, and not being devoid of mid-low mixups options.

On top of the K repertoire.

I actually have not tried Ezio yet now that I think about it, cause I don't feel like learning something that definitively won't be there in the next one...don't want to get burned again.

V_Arnold

Patroklos has a good kicking arsenal, also you might wanna check out Leixia.
I know, she is a girl, but SOMEWHERE down the line, Hwang/Xianghua were kinda close style-wise. Now, Yunsung is not Hwang, but Leixia is not Xianghua either, if that helps :D

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Game got a little too hardcore for me. Big combos, no more GI and JG is just impossible. Should i waste my bars on missed GIs or boring supers? I don't feel like doing any of those.

Just wait til people start looking at just guard. That's when the BS will hit the fan.

Holy shit, I was just playing with a guy from the local Marvel community and god damn aPat in the right hands is a fucking beast. The only other character that has made me feel as overwhelmed at times is Natsu. Also, he showed me in person how powerful JG can be when pulled off x_x

Surprisingly our score was kinda even at the end though. Predicting an attack and doing Cerv's 4A+B into air grab with my Django and Sabata CAS feels so awesome XD

Btw, no matter how I block it feels like the Pyrhas always get me, how should I be blocking her?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope this sells well enough to warrant some sort of expansion with all the single player content that wasn't in it to begin with.

Oh and Cassandra as DLC.

alstein

Just wait til people start looking at just guard. That's when the BS will hit the fan.

If JG becomes commonplace at tournies, I see this game dying competitively. I still see this game doing ok online though.

It's hard enough to where I think the majority of the mainstream FGC won't be able to do it, and powerful enough to become a huge barrier to those that don't.

Top Bottom