• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Skilletor

If JG becomes commonplace at tournies, I see this game dying competitively. I still see this game doing ok online though.

It's hard enough to where I think the majority of the mainstream FGC won't be able to do it, and powerful enough to become a huge barrier to those that don't.

Why?

alstein

The second tier players will quit, and that's what fuels a competitive scene. Especially if this happens around the time SFvsTK comes out.

People really hate losing to stuff they can't do themselves. People generally don't mind losing to stuff they feel like they can do. This is why I think old-style GI should have been kept- folks could do that, at least some. (new meter-costing GI was a good addition though)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game refuses to let me unlock Algol.

Did you try the quick battle method?

Set filter for:

region: europe

skill: moderate

opponent: new first

I did it this way. I didn't get him as fast as others, and had to clear maybe 20 opponents out before he showed up in the search. But he did show up.

Degen

Just got to E3 rank #Swag #Swag #Swag #DrowningInAllTheSwagBlrblublrb
etAZG.gif

I take back everything bad that I ever thought about SCV Siegfried thus far. The man is a menace

Skilletor

The second tier players will quit, and that's what fuels a competitive scene. Especially if this happens around the time SFvsTK comes out.

People really hate losing to stuff they can't do themselves. People generally don't mind losing to stuff they feel like they can do. This is why I think old-style GI should have been kept- folks could do that, at least some. (new meter-costing GI was a good addition though)

I really disagree, with all of that. If that were the case, I'd be worried about KoF, since HD combos "look" more intimidating than JGs ever could. Or 1-frame links in SF4, Juggles in Tekken. Parries in 3s.

I really disagree with anybody who thinks SxT would take away competitive players from SC5. But I think that game looks like garbage on CFJ levels.

I really disagree, with all of that. If that were the case, I'd be worried about KoF, since HD combos "look" more intimidating than JGs ever could. Or 1-frame links in SF4, Juggles in Tekken. Parries in 3s.

I really disagree with anybody who thinks SxT would take away competitive players from SC4. But I think that game looks like garbage on CFJ levels.

You can learn a combo in 15 mins max in Tekken.

I do agree with you though.

alstein

I really disagree with anybody who thinks SxT would take away competitive players from SC5. But I think that game looks like garbage on CFJ levels.

People can activate HD mode into Neomax, or at least Dream Cancel though. They can do something. 1f links in SF4 could be lucked into, as could 3S parries. Juggles in tekken, I think The Tekken team came up with a genius idea in Bound: they pretty much split combos into two parts, making it easier to learn.

With JG, I think people realize that it's just one of those things that they can't really do well. You can't luck into it. People are ok with mechanics they can luck into, when it becomes an all-or-nothing, they get depressed. Note: I'm not talking about your top tier players, I'm talking about the pot monsters that drive the competitive scene. You need losers for the winners to win something.

That said, I think it's possible JG never takes off at high-level. It's high-risk, and good players will throw enough (I don't think SC players are used to throws being good yet) and use delay enough that I suspect the risk-reward will potentially keep JG super-rare. I'd feel more confident about this is the movelists were larger though, and I still think it's a bad mechanic.

BTW, I think SFvsTK is going to be shit also, but it will do well. The sponsored players are going to be forced into playing it by their sponsors, and I suspect that will drive others into joining suit, even if many aren't enthused themselves.

The Soul community will keep SC5 alive though, just like they did with 4.

Skilletor

I'm sorry. After spending some time with SFXT.... The game is far from shit. It's actually good!

I don't like the direction Ono and co. is taking the series. Nothing I've seen of the game (or played, though the game has changed so much playing it makes that moot) makes me think I'll like it. I hate SF4, and I'm sure I'll dislike SxT.

I'll give it a try, though. I'd love to be wrong.

vocab

I don't like the direction Ono and co. is taking the series. Nothing I've seen of the game (or played, though the game has changed so much playing it makes that moot) makes me think I'll like it. I hate SF4, and I'm sure I'll dislike SxT.

I'll give it a try, though. I'd love to be wrong.

I hate SF4 more than any fighting game this gen. I'm hoping the combo system just feels good.

Dead Man

Wow, I really suck at this game, so much. It's kind of frustrating and embarrassing actually. ZWEI facing Nightmare in story mode is kicking my arse. :( I love the feel of the game though, the fighting is great. I do wish there was more SP stuff since I suck online, and don't have any friends that like fighters.

I hope this sells well enough to warrant some sort of expansion with all the single player content that wasn't in it to begin with.
Yes.
Oh and Cassandra as DLC.
No.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If JG becomes commonplace at tournies, I see this game dying competitively. I still see this game doing ok online though.
It's definitely going to appear at tournies sooner or later. The mechanic's too powerful to blow off. It's less risky than a GI was, and it nets you more than a null set possible mixup.

It's also viable online.

It's hard enough to where I think the majority of the mainstream FGC won't be able to do it, and powerful enough to become a huge barrier to those that don't.
It's not that hard really. Just takes some practice. Once you have a sense of a good chunk of the game's string's internalized, a ton of basic stuff is going to be leaving you at disadvantage.

Skilletor

Hilde's charges are going to get messed up because of JG. :(

I'm JGing the second hit of her C3A is really easy and cancels the push back. :/ lol dammit.

Coming from someone who really loved Soul Calibur IV and played it A LOT. Would it be worth picking up the series now or waiting for the price to lower down before hand?

I'm also interested in picking up Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as one of my brothers owns the original but he lives in England and I've moved to Canada now.

Literally right as my swing is about to connect, he critical edges, and that cancels my attack? Really? Man, I just miss old school SC :/

alstein

Coming from someone who really loved Soul Calibur IV and played it A LOT. Would it be worth picking up the series now or waiting for the price to lower down before hand?

I'm also interested in picking up Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as one of my brothers owns the original but he lives in England and I've moved to Canada now.

I think you'll see lower prices quickly. Game is worth it, IF you like online play.

UMVC3, skip it. Better options out there, both now and coming.

I'm sorry. After spending some time with SFXT.... The game is far from shit. It's actually good!

It might be, but it's going to have to prove it. The days when I have to buy a fighter because it's a fighter and I don't have a good one ended with KOF. Capcom's going to have to win me back as a customer, and I think SF4 series is mediocre.

I'll spell it out: for this game to get my attention, it's going to have to have online as good as SC5, and get rid of 1f links and an overemphasis on option selects without adding something I dislike even more. I don't believe Ono is capable of this.

Did you try the quick battle method?

Set filter for:

region: europe

skill: moderate

opponent: new first

I did it this way. I didn't get him as fast as others, and had to clear maybe 20 opponents out before he showed up in the search. But he did show up.

You have to be at least level 14 (I believe...could be one or two lower, though I was level 17 when I did it) and you have to win three matches in a row before he'll even show up in searches.

The opponents whose names were in green instead of white were a bit easier, it seemed.

Noaloha

Btw, no matter how I block it feels like the Pyrhas always get me, how should I be blocking her?
There was a discussion on the Jaxeldome stream this weekend regarding how Pyrrha might be absolute S-Tier, month 2 in the game anyway, due to her wake-up pressure (and her 66B). She had the french worried enough for Saitoh to make this video: Pyrrha Must Die.

This game refuses to let me unlock Algol.
Alongside the requirements of Lv13+, Region: Europe, Difficulty: Intermediate and with a 3-win streak against other Quick Battle AI (you can just beat three E5s if you want, then start spamming search), be sure not to make the same mistake I did --- don't look for Algol. The character you need to fight is called 'TERAMOS'.

Also, the difference between white and green names is simply whether you've bested them before I think.

Westlo

Are there absolutely no Australians playing SCV? I can't find anyone to play online with which have over 3 bars.

Are you on XBL? It was dead after the first weekend.... was hoping this would last until SFxTK and it didn't even last a week here.

sleepykyo

3s was never that popular, as far the SF games went.

Setting that aside, the juggles, 1 frame links and HD combos don't change the actual chances to hit someone. It's basically just doing 10% less damage on punish.

JGs can punish double hit ex attacks (which are supposed to give advantage on block) and possibly some basic strings. That's significantly more than a few points of damage on punish.
It's going to be the largest gap between the upper mid and top players since roll canceling. It'll be interesting to see how jg pans out in a few months.

Holy shit, I was just playing with a guy from the local Marvel community and god damn aPat in the right hands is a fucking beast. The only other character that has made me feel as overwhelmed at times is Natsu. Also, he showed me in person how powerful JG can be when pulled off x_x

Surprisingly our score was kinda even at the end though. Predicting an attack and doing Cerv's 4A+B into air grab with my Django and Sabata CAS feels so awesome XD

Btw, no matter how I block it feels like the Pyrhas always get me, how should I be blocking her?

Yeah, Alpha Pat is one of the best characters, if not THE best character in the game. The tradeoff for his ridiculous power is an extremely high level of execution to use him correctly. Woahhzzz basically wrecked everyone at a tourney yesterday with him.

Kiryogi, my brother's on ATM, I'm sure he'd play. PSN ID is InfiniDragon615.

kiryogi

Banned
I was on, you weren't in chat channel.

The netcode in this game confuses me. You can have good connections with people but disconnect.

was? are you still? XD was lazy to log on and wanted to check if anyone was on before hand before loading up

I think you'll see lower prices quickly. Game is worth it, IF you like online play.

UMVC3, skip it. Better options out there, both now and coming.

I'm interested in playing it, absolutely loved the online play in 4 despite how bad the latency could be and if it's close or better than Tekken 6 after-patch I'll be happy.

I absolutely loved the gameplay of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I couldn't stand Street Fighter IV in the slightest so I'm still interested in picking up UMVC3.

alstein

I'm interested in playing it, absolutely loved the online play in 4 despite how bad the latency could be and if it's close or better than Tekken 6 after-patch I'll be happy.

I absolutely loved the gameplay of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I couldn't stand Street Fighter IV in the slightest so I'm still interested in picking up UMVC3.

It's vastly better. I'd say it's as good as VF (another game you might like this summer)

As for the disconnects, I think you can force a disconnect in this game by mashing button really hard, (or at least destabilize the connection) just like you could in T6.

If someone's lagging, I've noticed I can set a couple of empty buttons to turbo and 9 times out of 10 the connection breaks apart.

Esura

Banned
Made it to D5. 80% win ratio in Ranked. Doesn't mean squat considering I steamrolled 20 people with just Pyrrha's 236 AA. I found more challenging players in Player Match.

Also, Tira piss me off so much. It is extremely difficult to block Tira's stuff online on reaction like other characters. I'm actually testing this in training with latency option set to on (so I can practice blocking Tira's stuff online) and its borderline impossible to block her 3B and some of her meatier moves once you see it.

V_Arnold

Alstein, I really feel like you are projecting your own preferences about game mechanics onto "players" overall - Just Guard is not THAT hard of a mechanic in the first place, and with or without the scrubs who are only in the game as long as they think that they can do anything the pros can, just slightly worse, there will be enough dedicated players for any tournament.

The whole assumption that if you lose to what is a well timed parry, then you quit being competitive is hilarious to me.
But then again, I am also going to buy SFxT day1, so maybe I am just some fighter-junkie with no self-respect :p
And it will be amazing, while all the haters will get stuck on the "..oh, but it has gems, shiiit" phase...

Dachande

How's the online on 360 in this? I bought it on a whim since I have fond memories of SC1 on the Dreamcast, and I'm kind of enjoying it but I think I need some human opponents to get properly excited about it.

I've got a 12-month Gold sub card that I'm saving until the last minute... is it worth cracking open for SCV?

V_Arnold

How's the online on 360 in this? I bought it on a whim since I have fond memories of SC1 on the Dreamcast, and I'm kind of enjoying it but I think I need some human opponents to get properly excited about it.

I've got a 12-month Gold sub card that I'm saving until the last minute... is it worth cracking open for SCV?

Absolutely. Online is fantastic. Do not get fooled by Ranked Play though, if you have any kind of proper mindset, you will wreck in there. Go for player matches.

GG to kiryogi and Ferrio (I was the Alpha Pat on my brother InfiniDragon's games with you both). Connection was funky with us Ferrio, sorry about that. You've got a good Astaroth, fun matches.

Nice Leixia on kiryogi's part, too. Was fun. :D

fionel

anyone wanna try some games with someone from Japan in a couple hours? (needs to put kids to sleep first).

My PSN is crauss. I used to play Kilik in SC4 for years and now I'm a dedicated Xiba player.

Played a couple of hours throughout the day yesterday (ranked and coliseum) and was pleasantly surprised with the variety of characters I faced. Ran into a few Ivy's, Viola's, ZWEI's, Asta's, Aeon's, etc on top of the usual common characters. A surprising amount of Lexia's for whatever reason as well. Good times.

kiryogi

Banned
GGs to both of you bros.

Yes, Sieg experience would be great, but I was also very appreciative of the Alpha Pat as well. Actually, would like to face Pyrrha more too lol. And no love for my Omega? D: Haha, I know Leixia is my strongest main.

And lol Ferrio, using Astaroth now D:

Here are 4 videos from tonight. 2 wins and 2 losses! Wish it kept track of more than the last 10 XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MrUw9TLeiI&context=C3a902faADOEgsToPDskJTMHewqauK65vBKn-xJuIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6BNpJ2UKM&context=C38e46c9ADOEgsToPDskJ7tWsaLbjLbD5aXeRWqiqB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64i7kvlWOwk&context=C34eb624ADOEgsToPDskLqPkoIKIdN1g3fsb3CZFp6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPfDxYFIY4&context=C323f17aADOEgsToPDskLb8VCSjUwmFiuGgb3v8Y36

Top Bottom