• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

alpha pat has incredible potential but he's also one of the hardest characters to master due to his stringent moves, most of his damage come from just frame inputs, so if you aren't familiar with it then you'll have a long road ahead of you.

to put things into prespective, imagine inputting A in the first frame and B in the second frame, no overlappings allowed, no slow inputs allow, everything must be perfect. a frame is 1/60 of second.
Yeah, I heard RTD say on a stream recently that Whoazz puts in like four hours a day in practice mode for APat which is crazy because Whoazz already has godlike execution.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Goddamit you had better be joking.
It's not a story thing, it's just something I noticed while was I was playing online.

I RO'ed her with a CE to finish the match. Then Pat's win segment was him crouching down saying, "Pyrrha! I didn't-..." (Made it seem like he was looking down out of the ring at her body or something.)

I lost it. What did the dumbass think would happen when he set her on fire and threw her off a cliff? Something good? Was he hoping she had Mishima genes? LOL.

sleepykyo

Yeah, I heard RTD say on a stream recently that Whoazz puts in like four hours a day in practice mode for APat which is crazy because Whoazz already has godlike execution.
That´s unfortunate‚ Alpha is one of the most enjoyable to watch characters. Too bad Namco slapped so many execution barriers into the game.

It's not a story thing, it's just something I noticed while was I was playing online.

I RO'ed her with a CE to finish the match. Then Pat's win segment was him crouching down saying, "Pyrrha! I didn't-..." (Made it seem like he was looking down out of the ring at her body or something.)

I lost it. What did the dumbass think would happen when he set her on fire and threw her off a cliff? Something good? Was he hoping she had Mishima genes? LOL.

In the soul calibur universe, the solution to everything is to fight. Don't even try to think that anything makes logical sense. It's worse than anime logic. Also, shouting "Sorry!" and "Are you okay?" during a fight is the dumbest shit ever.

sleepykyo

That's been Setsuka from SC3 onwards. SC's version of Akira.
Well yeah‚ but Akira did end up getting an easy dragon lancer that works the same outside of a 10 pt damage difference .

Seems bipolar to want to be more accessible yet insert more execution barriers . Especially the just frames and just guards which end up making online look worse.

Shao's image is amazing. Goddamn this story must be turrible.
Spoiler: SCV has the most retarded story yet in a series that is especially crap for story. Luckily everything else about it is great!
I'm definitely aware of that. Just a little more focus on single player would've probably made this game the best SC ever all around.

oh well

This is so fucking funny that I couldn't help laughing while reading it. :p

However, the story is...well...um...
Hmm.
Okay, I'll just sum up the story with an image.
A1MbU.jpg

Yeah thats about what I got out of the story and main character's personality.

Preeeeeeetty much. Yeah.

I can't wait for school to be less busy so I can start playing this again :/

scosher

according to ******** this game sold only like 500k+ copies, that's sad compare to SC4.

Epic failure on Namco to not cater to casuals and just throw in a Tower of Challenges or Weapon Master mode. It's sad that they focused on and improved what mattered the most after the failures in SC3 and 4 (gameplay and online netcode), but don't get rewarded for those efforts.

I think with most fans' disappointment with SC4, Namco needed to hit this one out of the ballpark. Instead, it limped out of the gate, got smacked a bunch of 7/10 reviews that solely cited poor offline content, and was branded as a "rushed" game. Which it was, but Namco clearly wanted this game out before SFxT. Those labels and scores are not going to get people to pay $60 for a fighting game unless they're devoted fans of the series.

Skilletor

Well yeah‚ but Akira did end up getting an easy dragon lancer that works the same outside of a 10 pt damage difference .

Seems bipolar to want to be more accessible yet insert more execution barriers . Especially the just frames and just guards which end up making online look worse.

Play another character. Leave my awesome, technical, execution heavy characters alone. It's not bipolar if there are options for both camps.

That's been Setsuka from SC3 onwards. SC's version of Akira.
I can agree with this in a way, although Alpha Pat is higher execution than Akira ever was since half of the good shit in his moveset is Akira's knee. And, like Akira, I think it's a bad idea to make a character that's supposed to be the poster character have the highest execution requirements in the game (I never understood why they didn't save this kind of gameplay for the boss character, TBH). It's okay for now since we have normal Patroklos, but going forward (which if sales are any indication doesn't look as hopeful) I would assume that Alpha Pat becomes the standard version of the character. Saying all that, having one execution heavy character isn't a problem because other than Alpha Pat and a handful of characters having a tough just frame move here and there the game is still really easy to play. Even just guard isn't all that hard, despite the timing being too tight for me to consistently feel comfortable using online.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got this and I've been playing. Game is good. Feels better than 4 IMO, and creation mode is awesome.

However, the story is...well...um...
Hmm.
Okay, I'll just sum up the story with an image.
A1MbU.jpg

Yeah thats about what I got out of the story and main character's personality.
Oh man.. that image even gives the story too much credit.

I remember reading some GAFers thinking the story was really good too and when I played it, I realized it had pretty much every element that makes a bad story present.

The two final battles.. seriously what the fuck, they stopped giving a fuck there.

I remember reading some GAFers thinking the story was really good too and when I played it, I realized it had pretty much every element that makes a bad story present.

The two final battles.. seriously what the fuck, they stopped giving a fuck there.

It's a fighting game.

The story is required to be shit.

People on GAF think the story is good?

That dusting of autism that helps them write their Soul Calibur CAS fanfic in the game continuity is what prevents them from being qualified to comment on the merit of story. :p

My copy will be here tomorrow.

sleepykyo

Play another character. Leave my awesome, technical, execution heavy characters alone. It's not bipolar if there are options for both camps.

I'm playing Natsu and Pyrhha. And both still have just frames. Thankfully it's just one a character.

It isn't that awesome when Woahzz is the only person that uses him. And even then his Alpha suffers more toward the end of tournaments than other characters. I don't see what is awesome about a character with imo the most entertaining to watch fighting style being non-existent in the scene because the execution bar is so ridiculous that even Akira players wouldn't touch him.

I'm playing Natsu and Pyrhha. And both still have just frames. Thankfully it's just one a character.

It isn't that awesome when Woahzz is the only person that uses him. And even then his Alpha suffers more toward the end of tournaments than other characters. I don't see what is awesome about a character with imo the most entertaining to watch fighting style being non-existent in the scene because the execution bar is so ridiculous that even Akira players wouldn't touch him.
The execution barrier and the possibility of even the best players missing inputs is the only thing that keeps him from being banned. Otherwise, he'd need a major damage, speed, or safety nerf that would effectively change him into another character. Plus a lot of excitement in watching that character comes from the tension in not knowing if the player will be able to pull those moves off under duress.

Skilletor

Created a Natsu stick.

cwyf8.jpg

Can see more images along with some gameplay of her mixing people the hell up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV36g9hy3Y

This is amazing.

"In loving memory" LOL!

Edit: Shit, that video made me miss Taki.

I heart you Taki and as soon as you are playable I will drop Natsu. Promise.

I'm never going to agree with a person who wants to make execution easier. I disagree with that mentality. Just the way I feel. I think execution and strategy are tied together. Change one, you change the other. So, yeah, that's all I have to say about that. Not really an argument I care to have here.

Yama

So I went to a Super Arcade SC5 tourny. Went 2-2. Pretty disappointed. MoTempest destroyed me with Hilde, heh.

I got hit out of the ring by Chris G's Hilde while holding a perfect @ WB'12, happens to the best of us. Don't feel bad, games way too early to care. Haha. If anything though, tourneys have taught me a lot about match ups and other gimmicks. As long as you get something out of it. :)

I got hit out of the ring by Chris G's Hilde while holding a perfect @ WB'12, happens to the best of us. Don't feel bad, games way too early to care. Haha. If anything though, tourneys have taught me a lot about match ups and other gimmicks. As long as you get something out of it right? :)

haha. Yea. It's all about getting the match-up experience. I don't see alot of Hilde's online.

I was getting rocked by APat shenanigans in casuals later in the night. I was getting the hang of it a little though after a while.

shaowebb

Preeeeeeetty much. Yeah.

Shao's image is amazing. Goddamn this story must be turrible.

Spoiler: SCV has the most retarded story yet in a series that is especially crap for story. Luckily everything else about it is great!

Fuck this story.

My work here is done :)
But you missed out on all the great brother/sister sexual tension!

NOW WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER FOREVER.... brother.
*looks sister up and down*
Malfested ;D
<3<3<3
*wink wink*

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Akira still has that knee, and landing Akira's better juggles is a pain. (At least that was my impression when I tried to seriously learn him for a couple of weeks.)

That aside, you have characters that aren't all that demanding execution wise as well. Nobody's forced to use Patsuka.

Khezu

Any tips for yoshi, voldo, incest twins, and astaroth as natsu? Yoshi and voldo are just kinda weird and I'm not even sure what there doing half the time, the greeks lock me down and its difficult to find an opening, there so fast and safe, astaroth just scares the shit out of me.

I probably should just learn how to play natsu better, didn't bother with much training just jumped into the deep end, and stuck with what works. Around 45 wins and 60 loses and now I'm starting to fight people who really actually know how to play the game, and its not fairing well for me.

Just need to grind some stuff out in training mode, and learn how to space better, but seriously fuck phyrea.

shaowebb

I know I said my work here was done, but this thing started getting some macros elsewhere online so I thought I'd throw in two more in case "Patorklorp" keeps popping up anywhere as a mascot for this game.

Besides this story is really really stupid and can use more mockery IMO. Patorklorp is a real creeper what with him conjuring images of his mom in slut rags into reality based on what he wanted to see most and his obsession with living the rest of his life with his "lonely" sister.
whose a bad girl ;D

Patorklorp...king of the fighting game creepers in my eyes. Voldo aka "ass meat" is now dethroned as creepiest Soul Calibur character now thanks to him.
Feel free to mention any other wonderful moments he had that I've failed to mention already. Guy is insane.

YRuM3.jpg

vXBr4.jpg

I know I said my work here was done, but this thing started getting some macros elsewhere online so I thought I'd throw in two more in case "Patorklorp" keeps popping up anywhere as a mascot for this game.

Besides this story is really really stupid and can use more mockery IMO. Patorklorp is a real creeper what with him conjuring images of his mom in slut rags into reality based on what he wanted to see most and his obsession with living the rest of his life with his "lonely" sister.
whose a bad girl ;D

Patorklorp...king of the fighting game creepers in my eyes. Voldo aka "ass meat" is now dethroned as creepiest Soul Calibur character now thanks to him.
Feel free to mention any other wonderful moments he had that I've failed to mention already. Guy is insane.

Looks like someone's salty they ate one too many JF Sakura Twisters online.

Pat's character is fine as far as these no story fighting games go, other than the obsession he had early on with Sophie, which I have a bigger problem with due to the fact that she was rubbish rather than the fact that it's his mom. And the Pyrrha business isn't anywhere near as bad as Japanese developers could have made it if they wanted to, this is tame compared to stuff in anime/manga.

Oh and before you ask, I main Sieg. XD

shaowebb

"I never killed any humans! They were all monsters!"

Oh boy son you got some issues don't you. And here I thought your sis was the crazy one at first.

sleepykyo

I barely remember the story but was it Pat that conjured it or was Elysium choosing a form that Pat would assume was his mother ? From SC4 at least Soul Calibur isn't good in the conventional sense.

I can agree with this in a way, although Alpha Pat is higher execution than Akira ever was since half of the good shit in his moveset is Akira's knee. And, like Akira, I think it's a bad idea to make a character that's supposed to be the poster character have the highest execution requirements in the game (I never understood why they didn't save this kind of gameplay for the boss character, TBH). It's okay for now since we have normal Patroklos, but going forward (which if sales are any indication doesn't look as hopeful) I would assume that Alpha Pat becomes the standard version of the character. Saying all that, having one execution heavy character isn't a problem because other than Alpha Pat and a handful of characters having a tough just frame move here and there the game is still really easy to play. Even just guard isn't all that hard, despite the timing being too tight for me to consistently feel comfortable using online.

What I honestly see happening, which would kind of suck for folks who love the high level of technical skill needed to play character like Alpha Pat (I main him, he's hard to learn but fun), is that they're gonna make him easier to use in the next game.

Because he's likely to be the main character again (or at least a main character) and it's also just as likely he'll be rocking the iai-jutsu as that is his true self, they probably gonna make him "main character easy" to play with while using the same moves. Or more specifically, they're probably going to make most of Alpha Pat and combine it with some of normal Pat (the stuff that wouldn't look out of place with the two different styles). The rest of normal Pat's sword and board specific techniques will likely go to Pyrrha.

I barely remember the story but was it Pat that conjured it or was Elysium choosing a form that Pat would assume was his mother ? From SC4 at least Soul Calibur isn't good in the conventional sense.

Elysium created her physical form (not the goofy stripper outfit, that was all her) out of what she believed Sophie to look like based on Pat's memories, or rather the stories Rothion told him.

If there is another game after the anemic sales performance and poorly received storyline/new characters I think we're headed for MK9/SF4/TK5 fanservice-y reboot territory.

Single player, those reasons are silly(even though I dislike a lot of new cast aside from Viola and Zwei).

Then again, I never really liked SC's cast.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If there is another game after the anemic sales performance and poorly received storyline/new characters I think we're headed for MK9/SF4/TK5 fanservice-y reboot territory.
This kinda had the rebooty vibe to it already though, i mean they replaced a third of the mainstays with fresh faces.

This kinda had the rebooty vibe to it already though, i mean they replaced a third of the mainstays with fresh faces.
I don't care because I got the best damn SoulCalibur gameplay ever (pending a patch for G8 and QS4G and it's variations), but most people don't want fresh faces replacing their favorites. They want the same characters over and over with the appearance of a new storyline. I think we're going to have a bunch of old characters popping back up like in TEKKEN, which is something I really don't want. Some form of Talim, Zasalamel, Yun/Mina/Hwang, or Rock/Bangoo would be welcomed by me, but I don't want Xianghua, Taki, or the other directly replaced characters coming back. TEKKEN's roster is out of control and I don't want that in SoulCalibur. If not that, I could really see them just going the SF4 route where they drop SCVI somewhere in the time between SCIV and SCV. Either way, I don't think SCVI will be a direct followup. As long as we get a continuation of this engine I'm happy.

Burning those bridges huh? Well what If they diversified some of either the new or old cast enough to the point that the new and old play differently? Eg; Natsu and Taki have different moves, styles, etc.

And If there's too many then time for a Soul Tag Calibur. Ahaha

Top Bottom