• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Alx

This kinda had the rebooty vibe to it already though, i mean they replaced a third of the mainstays with fresh faces.

I think it goes further than a simple change of the character roster. The original Soulcalibur was all about traditional sword fighting (I still remember the stylish katas and the blades clanging against each other). Special attacks were already there but not as a main feature.
Now in a SCV match you get lightning and flames all over the place, and you can't imagine a round without a brave/critical edge. With additional werewolves, floating crystal balls and teleportations. Characters like Voldo or Cervantes used to be the "weird characters", now most of the cast is just as weird.

It may have been gradual from SCII to SCIV, but I think there has been a big jump to more craziness in SCV. Which is fine by me, I like that feeling of playing something new and different.

Eg; Natsu and Taki have different moves, styles, etc.
Like Asuka and Jun or Hwoarang and Baek or Anna and Nina and...

...TEKKEN is intimidating to new players. In fact, many old TEKKEN players wish the roster was trimmed down. Add in SoulCalibur's gameplay systems that force you to really know match-ups in depth because the game punishes passive defense and I don't think having 45+ characters is a good idea.

Well you have that but how about this, you start off with a base (SCV) then expand slowly with the sequels. You won't get that sudden 45+ roster out of nowhere and hey some folks might get their old faves back.

In fact, many old TEKKEN players wish the roster was trimmed down.

...... A lot of old folks say a lot of things on who they'd trim down. Useless animals, a tree, kawaii desune Lili and Alisa because it's only a manly game for manly men, fuck off Lars and bob etc.

Well you have that but how about this, you start off with a base (SCV) then expand slowly with the sequels. You won't get that sudden 45+ roster out of nowhere and hey some folks might get their old faves back.

...... A lot of old folks say a lot of things on who they'd trim down. Useless animals, a tree, kawaii desune Lili and Alisa because it's only a manly game for manly men, fuck off Lars and bob etc.
All that dismissive talk all fine and dandy until people stop buying the games. Which is precisely where we are finding ourselves.

Those complaints within their intent aren't specifically because some older players can't wrap there brain behind them. Its because they straight up don't like them. Ahahahaha

But enough of that how is Soul Calibur 5 working out for you guys anyway? Is it smashing Soul Calibur 4 out in terms of sales, bringing in promising new players (The SF4 crowd you guys were looking for?), getting those quadruple+ digit weekly stream viewer counts, gaining dat hype(ugh)?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Elysium created her physical form (not the goofy stripper outfit, that was all her) out of what she believed Sophie to look like based on Pat's memories, or rather the stories Rothion told him.

Rothion was a strange story teller.

"Son, you should've seen yer maw. Titties out to tomorrow, and she wore a silk handkerchief as a blouse like nobody else. NOBODY!"
"Dad, this is warping me."
"Did I mention how soft her skin was, and how she'd..."
"Yes dad. Please stop."

But enough of that how is Soul Calibur 5 working out for you guys anyway? Is it smashing Soul Calibur 4 out in terms of sales, bringing in promising new players (The SF4 crowd you guys were looking for?), getting those quadruple+ digit weekly stream viewer counts, gaining dat hype(ugh)?
I love SCV. LOVE.

It's selling much worse than any other multiplatform SC because casuals make up the majority of game buyers.

Lots of high quality players are on board from various game communities. I'm especially happy to see a bunch of SC1 and SC2 OGs back.

Streams are getting many more eyeballs, but no quadruple digit stuff outside of Winter Brawl and probably Final Round.

Hype levels are certainly higher among the hardcore set than they've ever been.

Like Asuka and Jun or Hwoarang and Baek or Anna and Nina and...

...TEKKEN is intimidating to new players. In fact, many old TEKKEN players wish the roster was trimmed down. Add in SoulCalibur's gameplay systems that force you to really know match-ups in depth because the game punishes passive defense and I don't think having 45+ characters is a good idea.

Where are you getting this from?

All that dismissive talk all fine and dandy until people stop buying the games. Which is precisely where we are finding ourselves.

Tekken 6 sold 3 millions copies, IIRC.

Where are you getting this from?
Many, many posts like this. And before you retort with old players who can't wrap their minds around the game, know that Kane is a very high level player.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4484780#post4484780
Tekken 6 sold 3 millions copies, IIRC.
That's still less than half of the number of copies TEKKEN 5 sold without even being multiplatform. And SoulCalibur V is selling far below the mark SoulCalibur IV did in the same time frame.

Many, many posts like this. And before you retort with old players who can't wrap their minds around the game, know that Kane is a very high level player.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4484780#post4484780

That's still less than half of the number of copies TEKKEN 5 sold without even being multiplatform. And SoulCalibur V is selling far below the mark SoulCalibur IV did in the same time frame.

I know who Kane is. He's is the only really notable person who has said anything like that. The older players there are just disappointed with the lack of new blood. The problem is that Namco hasn't really done anything to get people aware of how Tekken should be played. I mean T6 doesn't even have trials to at least teach people combos. I do think that movelists could be trimmed a little though.

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/68644608795615233
Where are you getting your numbers from?

On topic: I have been getting a lot of disconnects lately. I wouldn't have minded as much if it didn't take forever to take you to back to the menu.

Roto13

"Son, you should've seen yer maw. Titties out to tomorrow, and she wore a silk handkerchief as a blouse like nobody else. NOBODY!"
"Yes dad. Please stop."

hehehehe

"Yes dad. Please stop."

Or maybe they just had a portrait of her or something. I like your version better though.

Mista Koo

(Pretend this post was made a month ago :p)

New avatar :D So hyped for this game!
I wanted better details and shading but I have been procrastinating on this for too long.

U2r1Y.png
-- 24 years- ->
dUBHo.png

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dampierre as DLC will be made available later tonight, thus rendering him tourney-legal and letting us non-Best Buy/Euro buyers finally get our hands on him... anyone on GAF gonna invest some time into him? :O

http://8wayrun.com/threads/dampierre-status-tournament-legal.11805/

(Pretend this post was made a month ago :p)

New avatar :D So hyped for this game!
I wanted better details and shading but I have been procrastinating on this for too long

Nicely done! Interesting that you decided to switch over to pixel art style.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Dampierre as DLC will be made available later tonight, thus rendering him tourney-legal and letting us non-Best Buy/Euro buyers finally get our hands on him... anyone on GAF gonna invest some time into him? :O

Get your dragon punch motions ready. 623B. 623K:K:K:K...

He's a strange character from my prepurchase dabbling. All worth it to literally spank someone out of the ring.

If not that, I could really see them just going the SF4 route where they drop SCVI somewhere in the time between SCIV and SCV. Either way, I don't think SCVI will be a direct followup. As long as we get a continuation of this engine I'm happy.

Personally I hope not, Alpha Pat is way cooler than Setsuka IMO because he has the badass looking Rurouni Kenshin-style battoujutsu with a sword (unlike the tiny tanto-esque thing Setsuka's rocking) and none of that umbrella business. But I would like real non-mimic Kilik back.

NEW DLC OUT TODAY:

New Character

Dampierre

CaS Pack 3

Video:

http://www.heavy.com/yt/?v=8_PyuS-WBwk&pid=8wayrun

Music

AFTERGLOW-A SILENT PRAYER (SC:BD)
HALCYON HARBOR (SC4)
THANATOS (SC4)
PHANTASMAGORIA (SC4)
DESTINY WILL TELL (SC4)
INFERNAL OFFERING (SC4)
Sooooooooooo good.

I'm really trying to stick with Raphael as my sub but he's so bad/I'm so bad with him. If I can ever do qcf consistently I'll pick up Omega Pyrrha. How's everyone coming on their sub character choices? ShinobiFist is doing really well with his Leixia.

Oh man, is there an option to change the camera center buttons in training mode? I can't find anything and my button mapping on my RAP-SA is such that if I try to do the QCFx2 ABK move in training mode I get sent back to the center of the screen because B+K are on R1/L1. >:O

Degen

When Ranked players start catching onto Siegfried, I'm gonna be very sad. My win percentage so far makes me look like a pro, lol

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just a heads up for any stream monsters out there - Final Round 15 starts today and SC5 is one of the main tournament games. The ATL area has traditionally been super strong at 3D games including Calibur, plus Namco-Bandai threw in a $5000 pot bonus... so you can bet there's gonna be some great competition at this tourney.

Here's the thread, not sure which stream SC5 will be on (though top 8 will definitely be streamed on the main one by Sp00ky):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465053

Just a heads up for any stream monsters out there - Final Round 15 starts today and SC5 is one of the main tournament games. The ATL area has traditionally been super strong at 3D games including Calibur, plus Namco-Bandai threw in a $5000 pot bonus... so you can bet there's gonna be some great competition at this tourney.

Here's the thread, not sure which stream SC5 will be on (though top 8 will definitely be streamed on the main one by Sp00ky):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465053

Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely interested in high-level SCV play.

Niiiiiiiiice. I'm expecting RTD to look really strong this weekend with his combo of Mitsurugi and Leixia. JTO has traditionally been very strong as well, but he needs to let go of that block/punish/rinse/repeat mentality going forward. I'm also looking forward to Big Boi's play, since at the last Beer and Brew stream he was JGing like a madman.

Roto13

Dampierre shows up in the PSN Store as something you can buy even if you already own him as a pre-order bonus. So some people might accidentally pay for something they already have if they're dumb. :p

Finally got the PS3 version to compliment my 360 edition. Is the online super flaky on PS3, or am I having bad luck?

You may be having bad luck.

Most of my matches have been better than average. A few lagged so bad we got booted back to the game lobby, but started the battle quickly again, and there have been some matches where the lag is minimal; but still perceptible.

Overall I'm really quite impressed by the quality of the online mode in SC5.

DasRaven

Finally got the PS3 version to compliment my 360 edition. Is the online super flaky on PS3, or am I having bad luck?

I'd say bad luck, it has been rock solid from day one here. 3+ bars to Asia and 4+ bars to the East coast without trouble. Even when I was on wireless for a time, it was fine.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You may be having bad luck.

Most of my matches have been better than average. A few lagged so bad we got booted back to the game lobby, but started the battle quickly again, and there have been some matches where the lag is minimal; but still perceptible.

Overall I'm really quite impressed by the quality of the online mode in SC5.

I've been getting stuff like one hit then the game boots me out of the match. This happens on the 360 periodically, but I'll hit that kinda thing 5 times in a row on PS3.

Top Bottom