• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Hey guys, got this a week ago or so, i don't spend so much time on fighting games and i have a question. How do i unlock parts and equipments for chracter creation? I like editing, creating characters so wanted to know this.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
After watching a bunch of SCV streams now I have to say that if this game doesn't take off competitively in the US it's not the game's or the SC community's fault.

It has flash, hype, 2d elements, good commentators and streams (which T6 did NOT have for a long time) e.t.c. It deserves to do well.

Good commentary? You mean the TEKKEN guys doing commentary cuz we're waiting for TTT2? ;D

I'm sure this game will do fine. You'll see ;)

Alx

Hey guys, got this a week ago or so, i don't spend so much time on fighting games and i have a question. How do i unlock parts and equipments for chracter creation? I like editing, creating characters so wanted to know this.

You unlock parts by leveling up. Fights in any mode grant you XP points (even when you lose), but the quickest way to level up is to play Quickmatch, especially since you can choose the level of your opponents.
There are a few parts available as DLC too, but not much.

Doomshine

Good commentary? You mean the TEKKEN guys doing commentary cuz we're waiting for TTT2? ;D

I'm sure this game will do fine. You'll see ;)

I've really enjoyed the commentators on Jaxel's streams. I don't know how it was for SC4 since I didn't really follow that game. Tekken barely had any commentary at all early on.

You guys are great too of course, I hope TTT2 gets this kind of start!

You unlock parts by leveling up. Fights in any mode grant you XP points (even when you lose), but the quickest way to level up is to play Quickmatch, especially since you can choose the level of your opponents.
There are a few parts available as DLC too, but not much.

Oh, cool. I was curious if i had to finish some game modes and do specific stuff to unlock such things. It's great. Thank you for the info.

Skilletor

Congrats! What tourney was this?

I'm not winning my first tourney since it's gonna be Final Round (if I can find a babysitter) but I would still like more Natsu exp. I need to find a good Alpha and Omega to play against, too.

Local tourney in CO Springs. I'll be on this week. Thursdays are best for me.

V_Arnold

I won the first SC tourney here. :)

27 entrants. Natsu ftw.

Congratulations! :)
What were your spectating experiences?

I went to a launch tourney (placed 4th or 5th, no specific :p - out of 30..) and it was amazing how good it was to see matches - it was a first for me in 3d games, honestly. Almost SF-level of fun out of spectating.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
SC5 World Team 5v5 at WGC in Cannes finished, I'm catching the archive right now:

http://www.twitch.tv/swga_maho/b/309079841

1:10:03 - France vs International
1:48:25 - Japan vs UK
2:31:30 - Belgium vs Switzerland

Teams

France - Pantocrator (Siegfried), Hayate (ZWEI), Keev (Nightmare), Akire (Mitsurugi), Kayane (Leixia)
Int'l - Kyo1 (Maxi), Grannis (Nightmare), Elazul (Tira), ugoivy (Pyrrha), Latinostark (Cervantes)
Japan - Sousuhi (Pyrrha), Akiru (Hilde), Mochi-A (Mitsurugi), Oosaka (Maxi), Saitoh
UK - Will (Voldo), Lobster (Ivy), Hyrul (Tira), Synraii (Nightmare), Silent Joe (Cervantes)
Germany - Kerrigan (Natsu), JagtheGemini, daGOTTh
Belgium - JTB (Pyrrha)
Switzerland - Kawaks (Algol), Shiva (Leixia)

EDIT: Stopped watching to catch the Winter Brawl stream. SC5 top 8 right now!

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

"Man, this game is so difficult. Everything is so slow, especially since I'm playing Astaroth.

20-35 and I think I'm pretty discouraged given the fact that the last 15 games were losses."

Why did you think you'd immediately be winning a lot at a game people have been playing weeks ahead of you? And some of those people have been playing the series regularly for years? This sounds harsh, but it's meant to be a pep talk. Losses are inevitable.

hteng

Banned
Man, this game is so difficult. Everything is so slow, especially since I'm playing Astaroth.

20-35 and I think I'm pretty discouraged given the fact that the last 15 games were losses. =(

lol... you have much to learn, grasshopper.

i'd go check out 8wayrun if I were you.

kiryogi

Banned
Man, this game is so difficult. Everything is so slow, especially since I'm playing Astaroth.

20-35 and I think I'm pretty discouraged given the fact that the last 15 games were losses. =(
And you play Astaroth . . . So you're bait for Leixia! Lol jk, Ferrio wrecks me often when his Ladyroth D:

"Man, this game is so difficult. Everything is so slow, especially since I'm playing Astaroth.

20-35 and I think I'm pretty discouraged given the fact that the last 15 games were losses."

Why did you think you'd immediately be winning a lot at a game people have been playing weeks ahead of you? And some of those people have been playing the series regularly for years? This sounds harsh, but it's meant to be a pep talk. Losses are inevitable.

I know. I've played many different fighting games, but for some reason this one is especially bad. The biggest reason is probably because it is my first 3d fighter, so I don't have much that will transfer over.

I would have felt okay had I not gone through that 15 game losing streak, many of which were against E ranked people who I had done well against during my first few games =/.

Anyway, let me roll around in all the salt, I'll be better after I play some more AE 2012

lol... you have much to learn, grasshopper.

i'd go check out 8wayrun if I were you.

I did, and I saw frame data that was like -16 on block. I was like goddamn that is like an eternity in AE 2012 or any 2d fighter for that matter.

Could you guys give me some key numbers to go off of?

for example, in SF4, -2 on block is generally safe, throws take x frames, etc

SUPARSTARX

I know. I've played many different fighting games, but for some reason this one is especially bad. The biggest reason is probably because it is my first 3d fighter, so I don't have much that will transfer over.

I would have felt okay had I not gone through that 15 game losing streak, many of which were against E ranked people who I had done well against during my first few games =/.

Anyway, let me roll around in all the salt, I'll be better after I play some more AE 2012

I did, and I saw frame data that was like -16 on block. I was like goddamn that is like an eternity in AE 2012 or any 2d fighter for that matter.

for example, in SF4, -2 on block is generally safe, throws take x frames, etc

Yeah, the fastest normals are 10f from Leixia and Natsu and that's if you're in range. Even with -16, you're still good if they can't reach you.

"I did, and I saw frame data that was like -16 on block. I was like goddamn that is like an eternity in AE 2012 or any 2d fighter for that matter.

for example, in SF4, -2 on block is generally safe, throws take x frames, etc"

From my limited knowledge:

< -8: Safe
8-10: Punishable by a small amount of characters, matchup specific.
11-13: Punishable by most of the cast
14-17: Punishable by everyone, probably for a decent amount of damage.
18+: Big damage punishes.

But this is ignoring things can possibly be safe due to distance, safe due to spacing against specific characters, Just guarding, etc.

Yeah, the fastest normals are 10f from Leixia and Natsu and that's if you're in range. Even with -16, you're still good if they can't reach you.

"I did, and I saw frame data that was like -16 on block. I was like goddamn that is like an eternity in AE 2012 or any 2d fighter for that matter.

for example, in SF4, -2 on block is generally safe, throws take x frames, etc"

From my limited knowledge:

< -8: Safe
8-10: Punishable by a small amount of characters, matchup specific.
11-13: Punishable by most of the cast
14-17: Punishable by everyone, probably for a decent amount of damage.
18+: Big damage punishes.

But this is ignoring things can possibly be safe due to distance, safe due to spacing against specific characters, Just guarding, etc.

Thanks guys, now frame data will make some sense.

Degen

Been in training mode just to figure out Siegfried's ring-out strategies. I like how there's pretty much a low, mid, high and sometimes even a throw for every possible situation

see you online, gaf lolol

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I keep getting signed out of PSN altogether and XMB's been kinda sluggish... so I'm gonna sit out tonight. :|

At least I learned that Xiba's WS KKK can self-RO, lol... weird that it hasn't happened to me before.

How's Hilde in this game? I just picked it up and figured I'd try maining her. I wanted to use her in SCIV, but she ended up being a derpy ringout character that I didn't like. She also had an exploit that favoured controller play which allowed you to attack with A or B and charge them at the same time, which I see has been removed for SCV.

Hi everyone i'm trying to beat cervantes in arcae hard ..but it just seem cheap as hell ... any tips ?
i've tried mitsurugi , xiba, ezio , astaroth ..i've very unhappy about this ...

Every tiny mistake is punished ...and sometimes i
- lose 75% of my health after a 3 brave edge combo
- get ring out because "lol"

i'm about to throw my controller at my Tv ... any tips ?

This mother fucker super charge cancel like nothing and does hesitate to use his gun , right at the start of the round ..

Having done some Ranked for a while, I feel like I've hit a wall with Aeon in C-Rank. The Futurepress guide is no help, since their entire strategy is to tell me to "wait for the other guy to fuck up then punish". Which, when dealing with dial-a-combo 'Frieds or Algos or Nattys, doesn't leave me a lot of openings to exploit.

Granted, I'm fighting a lot of ingrained habits from having played Soul Calibur at the arcades for a long time, I still keep trying to GI the old fashioned way, and for some reason I flub the twoscoops for Aeon's useless CE probably 80% of the time online. In training mode I have no issues, but online I drop the CE like it's made of barf.

I'm looking for some regulars to play with on the East coast, to build up some confidence again and just have some fun for once, instead of being frustrated at my inability to deal with what seems to be the legions of 400+ wins in Ranked all exploiting the same cheap rush mixups.

XBL tag: Space Bowser

Nyoro SF

How's Hilde in this game? I just picked it up and figured I'd try maining her. I wanted to use her in SCIV, but she ended up being a derpy ringout character that I didn't like. She also had an exploit that favoured controller play which allowed you to attack with A or B and charge them at the same time, which I see has been removed for SCV.

I would like to know this too. No one plays Hilde lol

Kurod

Banned

I like playing as Hilde. She's a turtle's worst nightmare. Lots of break attacks and quite a few that give slight frame advantage on block.

Her charge3B attack is a great whiff punisher with huge range.

She has a bit of a throw/ringout mix up with B+G and A+B(BE) with her back to the edge.

Her CE does good damage, has deceptively long range, and can be combo'd into fairly easily.

I really need to practice with her.

Top Bottom