• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
SC5 pools at Final Round finally being streamed:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/

Calibur got the largest turnout after SF4/UMvC3 at FR with 254 players, hell yeah! :D

People who've qualified out of pools for SC5 so far:

• Pool 1: Winners - KDZ (Siegfried, Maxi), Losers - Byakko
  • Pool 2: Winners - Thuggish Pond, Losers - Lolo

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Can't be worse than the 360 version.
I'm beginning to think that someone crammed peanut butter into my ethernet port at some point. My connection in the PS3 version is beyond God awful. Wierd in SC IV never did this kinda monkey business.

(Also, that Aeon player totally deserved to win. ;..;)
That match was a coin toss honestly. That was a good Lizzie. I got away with some Maxi shenanigans.

(Sorry for double-post)

So, at the end of the day, the only characters that were played in the finals:

Pyrrha, Natsu, Maxi, Yoshimitsu, Xiba, Leixia, Nightmare, Mitsurugi, a single surprise Siegfried, one Asteroth.

The Top 8 finals were amazing.

Omegadr vs Hawkeye in the finals, Nightmare vs Natsu, were like wow. I couldn't tell which character was naturally faster. (Although the "controller issues" were annoying).

And then Omegadr vs Hawkeye again in the grand finals. No surprise it came down to Nightmare vs Natsu.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Really happy with the character variety we saw throughout the tourney... especially long-time ATL Kilik player Wing Zero with some great Xiba play.

Though I see everyone and their mom learning how to JG the second hit of Xiba's 6BK in the near future, haha. That move is just too good.

Other then being heavy on Leixia and Xiba before the top 8, the variety was pretty decent. I don't think the actual matches as a whole were as competitive as the Winter Brawl ones were, though. Still a lot of good stuff.

And yet, one could have predicted the outcome of the top 3 quite easily.

Nightmare > Natsu > Xiba/Lexia.

Pity.

(And yes, I'm primarily dissapointed because of the lack of Aeon confirming my suspicions that he's a broken, incomplete character).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
And yet, one could have predicted the outcome of the top 3 quite easily.

Nightmare > Natsu > Xiba/Lexia.

Pity.

(And yes, I'm primarily dissapointed because of the lack of Aeon confirming my suspicions that he's a broken, incomplete character).
Maxi's won a few tournaments lately. I wouldn't have been shocked to see him up there.

As for Aeon, I wonder if in a patch they'll add back in that annoying column of light attack Kratos had in Broken Destiny. He lost some of Kratos' move set (the swinging stuff for example) and they didn't really seem to compensate for that well.

sleepykyo

Other then being heavy on Leixia and Xiba before the top 8, the variety was pretty decent. I don't think the actual matches as a whole were as competitive as the Winter Brawl ones were, though. Still a lot of good stuff.

That's interesting seeing as Woahzz was the only noticeable absence from Winterbrawl. Both Linkrc (Ivy), the winner of winterbrawl and Ramon (Pyrhha/Mitsu) were at Final Round. Then was there Mick, RTD, Dreamkiller and Hates.

I agree that as a whole the play did seem sloppier though. Maybe a lot of players were exhausted, 250 entrants sounds like a lot for a Soul Calibur game.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
On the PSN issue, I think I finally cleared it up. Had to manually adjust the PS3's MTU. Only one drop so far. (Which was just someone that hates being thrown apparently.)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Did everyone on PSN Gaf move onto Blazblue (and presumably SF x T on Tuesday)?

I've been playing this on 360 a lot more lately. Going to be playing SFxTK from today on, but I'm not done with SC5. It's fun and it's not the same type of fighter anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So you pretty much just level up to get new pieces?

Finally got the future press guide. It's good stuff. Plus the hard cover and paper quality is niiice.

And I played a demo Vita at Target today. Hot damn, that is sweet. I hope they do a SC5 port. I want a Vita now!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I reached level 50, and is it me or is there barely any equipment???

I'm looking at the armors and it's pretty limited, and most of the stuff is from SCIV:mad:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well the CAS is not better than SCIV. There are more options, but more problems too, and a lot of the items are really lackluster. You can put the fullbody undergarment thingy with shoes, but if you put the short-sleeved version you can't put shoes... wtf.

Also, I just tried to make an alternate Seigfried, why is it that half of the items are obviously for females?

It's really weird, and items are often floaty, which wasn't as much of a problem in SCIV as far as I recall.

I'm having a lot more trouble making known characters compared to SCIV. In SCIV I could make almost any one. There aren't even any skull shoulder pads or anything like that. And most of the pieces are from SCIV, but many are gone too.

Really let down.

Playing online right now after playing the malfested story(cousin's copy). It's beautiful and the lobby options are amazing. The fighting itself is great and I haven't been impressed by netcode like this since BlazBlue:Calamity Trigger.

I feel bad looking at the scores/sales and knowing that they rushed this game. It would have been a real gem with the traditional SC stories and full modes/extras. I'll be buying this game sooner than I thought. I almost feel obligated to do this now.

Fuck Nightmare though

Shouta

I finally picked up the game and I'm really digging ZWEI right now, I do kind of wish he had more ways of bringing out the Wolf but having to remember all of them would be a pain in the ass.

The netcode is surprisingly awesome at times which is a big positive compared to SFxT...

Ferrio

Banned
I finally picked up the game and I'm really digging ZWEI right now, I do kind of wish he had more ways of bringing out the Wolf but having to remember all of them would be a pain in the ass.

The netcode is surprisingly awesome at times which is a big positive compared to SFxT...

Netcode is great when it works. It's very finicky though, loves to drop connections that seemed that they were runnign fine.

I'll have a perfect connection to someone, smooth as silk, four bars all around, even with voicechat, when suddenly 'connection has been dropped', even though we can still talk to each other while it's busy telling us we've lost connection to each other.

Not sure how that works.

scosher

So... from reading this last page, is the game at least decently balanced?

Still early, but I'd say it's very well balanced. There's a few characters in the upper tier, but they're not overpowered to the point of having unbeatable gimmicks. No one is ban-worthy. Also, Alpha Pat is considered the strongest character in the game, but also has the highest execution barrier (his combos require multiple JF strings), so that in itself keeps him in check.

If there's any characters that I think are unviable atm, it's ZWEI and Aeon. Those two could use some buffs. Raph and Viola could probably use a few tweaks as well, but they're still capable.

Shouta

I saw a vid of Hayate's Zwei at WGC and it seemed to be pretty good but that could be Hayate, heh. I've been getting wins with Zwei online as well. He could use some work in general but he seems to have some decent stuff. He might be this game's SC2 Yunseong, i.e. a character that is thought to be low-tier but can be fairly good when played right. As far as I've played him, he's definitely different from any other SC character up to this point in style.

LaneDS

Where is a good place to start if I want to transition myself from a casual, not so great (or even good) player to someone half decent? I find the tutorial mode kind of overwhelming and when I play a good player online I feel completely outclassed and my style of play just doesn't seem to improve. Any good resources for improving my game that folks could recommend?

DasRaven

Where is a good place to start if I want to transition myself from a casual, not so great (or even good) player to someone half decent? I find the tutorial mode kind of overwhelming and when I play a good player online I feel completely outclassed and my style of play just doesn't seem to improve. Any good resources for improving my game that folks could recommend?

Step 1: Buy the FuturePress guide. Learn about hit/block-stun and frames.
Step 2: Practice (offline in training & local matches, online while being mindful of latency).
Step 3: Analyze your replays and learn from previous mistakes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

www.8wayrun.com

The Futurepress guide is good, but there are some frame rate typos. 8wr is more up to date.

Also watch good players using the character you want to play. Gives you a decent sense of flow and what you should be looking to do.

scosher

http://8wayrun.com/forums/soulcalibur-tactics.4/

Read a lot of the stickied threads on mechanics.

I find the biggest improvement casuals can make is simply realizing that after getting your attacks blocked, you are normally at negative frames. Meaning, you're at disadvantage to your opponent (ie. If he uses an i18 move, and you try and use an i13 move but are at -6 disadvantage, his attack will hit first, unless your move tech crouched or tech evaded, etc.)

Likewise, if you block a guard break attack, it's a frame trap, and you're at disadvantage, so try to refrain from using a move afterwards, or you'll likely get crushed by a launcher. At the same time, the opponent might realize you'll turtle up like this and just use another guard break attack or throw you. Or you could sidestep if you know he's going to attempt a launcher rather than a horizontal attack. But that's part of the mind games of SC.

LaneDS

Thanks guys. I'll dig through the above resources and just dedicate myself to one character (probably Mitsurugi as he's been my most used character since Soul Edge) and see how it goes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Thanks guys. I'll dig through the above resources and just dedicate myself to one character (probably Mitsurugi as he's been my most used character since Soul Edge) and see how it goes.

Ah. Mitsu....

Then you just need 66BB and 4B. Maybe some 1A.

Top Bottom