• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Found a bug:

soundshapebug4kpcm.jpg

Couldn't really laugh after probably 50+ deaths / timeouts (not really sure if the saw did get around those obstacles at the wall or if it wandered straight on the screen border).

Corto

Gemüsepizza;41164990 said:
Found a bug:

soundshapebug4kpcm.jpg

Couldn't really laugh after probably 50+ deaths / timeouts (not really sure if the saw did get around those obstacles or wandered straight on the level border).

That was the game telling you to take a break. ;)

Gemüsepizza;41164990 said:
Found a bug:

soundshapebug4kpcm.jpg

Couldn't really laugh after probably 50+ deaths / timeouts (not really sure if the saw did get around those obstacles at the wall or if it wandered straight on the screen border).

I had this happen to me as well.

CorySchmitz

Just finished the campaign. Wow. Deadmaus and Beck albums are the peaks of the game for me too. There's a really small detail/item in Beck's levels that I am completely enamored with. That little moving letter platform that changes with the lyrics... Damn! Really great detail.

Ah and Cory a huge kudos for the graphic design! The little k7 logo had me smiling too. ;) can't wait for those wallpapers.

Thanks! Sorry if I'm spacing out but what is K7?!

minimoke

Anyone know if there is a multi-select copy/paste function in the editor? I love the editor but making terrain can be a bit time consuming sometimes:)

Takao

Banned
I have two more Death Mode challenges left ... It's "Event Horizon" and "Extraterrestria".

Anyone know if there is a multi-select copy/paste function in the editor? I love the editor but making terrain can be a bit time consuming sometimes:)

Hold "L" when selecting to engage multi-select. To copy/paste, choose the double window looking thing with the +.

Clunker

I'm still tinkering with my first level (totally getting wrapped up in the music first and then trying to make a decent level around it), but my one qualm with the editor is that sometimes I forget what note or loop I've placed on an earlier screen, and if I want to reuse that same note on a later screen I don't know how to ID the old note by just picking it up. I know I can just copy/paste it, but is there a way to find out what an existing note is?

Such a brilliant game and music combo experience. Cory, you and the rest of the team should be proud of your baby here - it's definitely one of the most original, distinct games I've played this year, and I think it'll be a standout on PSN and Vita that people will remember for years and years. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a blend of two of my favorite pastimes (games + music) that doesn't just go the traditional rhythm game route. Bravo. :)

Platinum'd this a couple of days ago. Was desperate to love the game, but I found it underwhelming overall. I didn't feel it was the sensory experience it promised to be, and the only time it felt where building up the music while progressing through a level was impactful was the first Beck level Cities. Death Mode was partly luck-based in regards to where the notes were placed next, so you could have a run where you performed perfectly and it still wasn't enough... so that wasn't fun. Beat School was just pure filler.

Still a decent game mind. Just not feeling it's worthy of all the praise.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played all of the first levels in each world. Liked the I am Robot album track the most and this game probably ends up on my GOTY list together with Motorstorm, as far as Vita games go.

But the game killed my Vita :(
I played it for 3 hours yesterday, started it up again today, played a level and it froze on the win screen. I was able to use the turn off button, but then it stuck 20 minutes in turning off mode, now the on screen "loading" sign is gone, but it wont start back up again. The home button is constantly flashing, so I assume its still trying to turn off the system, though.

Guess I need to wait until the battery runs out to try again :( Hope its nothing severe.

Necron

Constructed my first level. It's called "Time dilation". Check it out if you have time. I'll be sure to create a 2nd level more focused on obstacles in the future. I just completed Corporal by Jim Guthrie and was so impressed by the level design and feel that I wanted to create something similar. Loving it so far!

Played all of the first levels in each world. Liked the I am Robot album track the most and this game probably ends up on my GOTY list together with Motorstorm, as far as Vita games go.

I played it for 3 hours yesterday, started it up again today, played a level and it froze on the win screen. I was able to use the turn off button, but then it stuck 20 minutes in turning off mode, now the on screen "loading" sign is gone, but it wont start back up again. The home button is constantly flashing, so I assume its still trying to turn off the system, though.

Guess I need to wait until the battery runs out to try again :( Hope its nothing severe.

That sucks man, hope your Vita is okay.

Oni Jazar

You should be able to force immediate shutdown by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds or so

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone please tell me that there are extensive DLC plans for this game. I'd pay 5 bucks for new albums. Each month a new one please with new tools/objects for the editor :-o

Toma

That sucks man, hope your Vita is okay.

You should be able to force immediate shutdown by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds or so

Yeah, thankfully the power button for 30+ seconds worked :) Got me into a boot menu to do different stuff, and the Vita seems to be okay now. Shock second, hope that doesnt happen too often.

Koroviev

Someone please tell me that there are extensive DLC plans for this game. I'd pay 5 bucks for new albums. Each month a new one please with new tools/objects for the editor :-o

It would be wonderful if they provided continuous support.

see5harp

Platinum'd this a couple of days ago. Was desperate to love the game, but I found it underwhelming overall. I didn't feel it was the sensory experience it promised to be, and the only time it felt where building up the music while progressing through a level was impactful was the first Beck level Cities. Death Mode was partly luck-based in regards to where the notes were placed next, so you could have a run where you performed perfectly and it still wasn't enough... so that wasn't fun. Beat School was just pure filler.

Still a decent game mind. Just not feeling it's worthy of all the praise.

I had the same experience. I liked some of the music but the only time I felt like the music fit perfectly with the actual gameplay was the Beck level. So far the best thing about the entire game is the sequencer for making music, but I think the limitations (only loops for 3 screens) will turn off most serious music makers. The platforming was really just a vehicle for the music so I feel the game is stuck in this middle place where it's just decent at music and decent for platforming.

Corto

It would be wonderful if they provided continuous support.

In my dreams the game could turn out to be a platform to release multimedia content from music artists. "Hey! Pre-order *name of the band* brand new album and get a new level to download on your PS3 or PS Vita of Sound Shapes."

I'm not liking the feel of the controls.
It never gets better, IMO, but you do get more accustomed to controlling it. It's just not 'fun' to control like something with heavier, or more exaggerated physics and a more distinct feel. The star of the game is the level design and music loops when they're good or great...which is maybe less than half of the campaign offerings. Still worth sitting down with for an extended session to enjoy as you're in the zone with the control, as much as you can be with such a simple and limited feel and ability set. Suffers from the same fundamental issue as LBP in this regard, which is that it isn't fun and inherently playable just to control the character itself.

Koroviev

In my dreams the game could turn out to be a platform to release multimedia content from music artists. "Hey! Pre-order *name of the band* brand new album and get a new level to download on your PS3 or PS Vita of Sound Shapes."

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC.

So, do you get double plat on this thing too? I platinummed it on psv, synced it, then started the ps3 version for the first time and nothing popped up.

softie

I can't really emphasize enough how awesome this game is. I platinumed it on the same day I started it and now I'm trying to create some of my own levels. Really really cool stuff.

The one who designed the Death Mode should be punished without mercy, how this shit got greenlighted i´ll never know...anyway, 5 to go.

0% fun, 95% luck, 5% skill.

The only thing you need is luck and patience.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, do you get double plat on this thing too? I platinummed it on psv, synced it, then started the ps3 version for the first time and nothing popped up.

Yus you do.

I went into the settings on the PS3, cloud synced it, then started the Vita version and went into the settings and cloud synced it, all the trophies started popping up then.

jondabomb

The one who designed the Death Mode should be punished without mercy, how this shit got greenlighted i´ll never know...anyway, 5 to go.

0% fun, 95% luck, 5% skill.

The only thing you need is luck and patience.

After playing death mode, I don't get how people are saying its all luck. Sure, to actually beat a level you have to get good note placement but its not like theres no skill involved.

If there was only luck involved, then you wouldn't die and just finish each level when the time ran out in need of more notes. For most of the levels, the hard part was playing it enough to get the timing and rythm of the level down and then getting lucky with the note placement.

Admittedly, most of the levels were frustrating because of their difficulty and getting the timing down, but I never felt like I was losing because of note placement until after I had already gotten used to navigating through the level I was playing

After getting platinum, I just started working on my first level. Was just gonna see what kind of beats I can make for about half an hour and ended up losing 4 hours. :S

polg

Man, I'm loving this game. I'm so pleased to have purchased this instead of... some other platformer released on another platform... it's so refreshing, and hypnotic.

Everyone should play Orioto's level... just search for his name :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gemüsepizza;41201177 said:
Only one Death Mode left:

2012-08-20-052427onoeh.jpg

Anyone got some tips on this one? :)

I got this through sheer luck. If they appear close by, then you're lucky.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just saw one of the Beck levels on YouTube. So picking this up! Great track, he's one of my favorite musicians. They need to get Trent Reznor to do some.

softie

Gemüsepizza;41203353 said:
Thanks, did you (or anybody else) use boost in this level?

Don't use boost, stickiness is handier in this level.
Make sure to NOT jump on the second platform (from the left) when you see the first one "erupting", because usually you won't make it and die.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/237321755876814848

Yosp suggested this level (as do I, it's well made). I had an idea of including QR codes in the level links (like this page). So anytime someone links one, just pull out your Vita, pull up the in game QR scanner and bam, start loading the level.

He thought it was a brilliant idea and RT'ed it to soundshapes/quesy00. Hopefully they'll add it =D.
The Beck levels are great.

I want them in song format.

darkwing

Top Bottom