• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you preorder, can you Download it and have it ready for launch, or was that only a UK thing?

You have to initialize the download

Also you can only preorder on PS3 since Vita doesn't have themes. Kind of ass backwards

Im jelly. Good show Playstation users, i'll get a Vita eventually.

As with LocoRoco and Patapon before it these are the types of games that make me want these devices. 2D games just benefit that much more from a crisper screen, not to mention that is my prefered format for handheld gaming, this is a game that is tailored towards that.

Just wait for meeeeee

Seeing as how the developers other game, Everday Shooter, was ported to PC there may be a chance for the same thing to happen with Sound Shapes. Unless there's permanent exclusivity that I don't know about.

I was gonna play it on PS3 first for big screen and sound but I'll probably just end up playing on Vita since this was dev'd for Vita anyway

Yeah, Vita will be my main platform for playing. I'll probably check it out on PS3 at some point though.

baconcow

No worries - any questions just ask.

Oh wow, I have a bunch!

1) In the editor, does or can the previous screens music carry on through to the next screen? So, let's say a song is made up into 4 parts. Can screen 1 be part 1, screen 2 part 2, etc. That way, by the time the player is at screen 4 and has collected all of the coins, they hear the entire song you made.

2) How many screens (maximum) are given to the player in the editor to make a level?

3) Are there any advanced features in the editor like scripted enemies? For example, when you get a specific coin, a platform appear OR begins to move, or a laser begins firing (that wasn't activated previously).

4) Can two background instruments occupy the same space? For example, I was two instruments to play the same note at the same time.

5) Can you only use the blob in the user-created levels, or can the levels be made also for the underwater thingy also. Some of the videos showed what looked like a spacecraft or submarine.

Thanks!

nofi

1) In the editor, does or can the previous screens music carry on through to the next screen? So, let's say a song is made up into 4 parts. Can screen 1 be part 1, screen 2 part 2, etc. That way, by the time the player is at screen 4 and has collected all of the coins, they hear the entire song you made.

I think it's carried over for 3 or 4 screens. I'd need to double check.

2) How many screens (maximum) are given to the player in the editor to make a level?

More than 20, I think, although it's in a fairly square formation.

3) Are there any advanced features in the editor like scripted enemies? For example, when you get a specific coin, a platform appear OR begins to move, or a laser begins firing (that wasn't activated previously).

No, not that I know of.

4) Can two background instruments occupy the same space? For example, I was two instruments to play the same note at the same time.

No, don't think so.

Will just grab the Vita quickly and check.

baconcow

I think it's carried over for 3 or 4 screens. I'd need to double check.

More than 20, I think, although it's in a fairly square formation.

No, not that I know of.

No, don't think so.

Will just grab the Vita quickly and check.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was assuming there was nothing advanced, but I was curious. Not being able to occupy the same space is understandable from ease of making the game, but it would be nice to have two instruments playing the same sound. 20 screens or so is a big amount to make a level from. Glad the song carries over from screen to screen (at least for 3 or 4 screens).

This is one of those games that, for the user content, at the start will be good and at the end will be great. I remember playing Digasso Band Brothers 2 on the DS. At the beginning, it was essentially the same as the first. And then, I downloaded like 30 user made songs that I had read were great and the game grew legs. I never did download the rest of my 100-song limit on that game.

nofi

Thanks for the quick replies. I was assuming there was nothing advanced, but I was curious. Not being able to occupy the same space is understandable from ease of making the game, but it would be nice to have two instruments playing the same sound. 20 screens or so is a big amount to make a level from. Glad the song carries over from screen to screen (at least for 3 or 4 screens).

This is one of those games that, for the user content, at the start will be good and at the end will be great. I remember playing Digasso Band Brothers 2 on the DS. At the beginning, it was essentially the same as the first. And then, I downloaded like 30 user made songs that I had read were great and the game grew legs. I never did download the rest of my 100-song limit on that game.

Just had a quick check, looks like loads of screens. Not sure where I got 20 from but it seems like there shouldn't be any worries about big levels.

You can't have two instruments on the same space but you can have eight in the same beat (as you can stack them vertically) although obviously the tones/beats will change. You can have two notes in the same place on different screens that play together though - as the player moves from one to the next.

baconcow

You can have two notes in the same place on different screens that play together though - as the player moves from one to the next.

This is good. Users will be able to make the same effect from overlapped music, by doing this. I assume each of the 8 beats is a note from C to C (higher octave). It seems like this when Jim played his piano. Since the beats are snapped to the grid, are there any ways to get flats or sharps to hit the black piano keys? Some songs might be very difficult to do without the black keys

nofi

This is good. Users will be able to make the same effect from overlapped music, by doing this. I assume each of the 8 beats is a note from C to C (higher octave). It seems like this when Jim played his piano. Since the beats are snapped to the grid, are there any ways to get flats or sharps to hit the black piano keys? Some songs might be very difficult to do without the black keys

Don't think so, sorry. There may be alternate instruments that do this though, and you can change the scale (and BPM).

I'm not that musical, apologies.

baconcow

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to picking it up and trying it out. I've never made anything that great on other games and was hoping to try something out for this one.

I just found out about another artist involved with the game, which is Cory Schmitz. He didn't created any particular levels but was involved with various things like the logo and the playable character. You can read a little more about it at the recently relaunched Attract Mode.

http://attractmo.de/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how much is there for someone who has no musical ability and has no intention of making their own levels?

baconcow

how much is there for someone who has no musical ability and has no intention of making their own levels?

There will be 1000s of user-made levels I'm sure, eventually. Also, the dev said in a video that the game aids those well who are not musically inclined.

Loudninja

GodisaGeek gave it a 9/10
VERDICT: Dynamic use of music is not a new thing in games, I can remember how much fun I had with Vib Ribbon, how immersed and deep in a gaming trance Q Entertainment have had me over the years, even how impressed I was when the music got quicker when your vitality was low in a Street Fighter II battle! Level editors have also been around for donkeys years. Hell, I can remember designing my own shooters on S.E.U.C.K while most of you kids were still suckling from your mother’s teat. Being able to create your own music for a game, however? That is an underdeveloped concept. That Queasy have managed to deliver a game – and a bloody good one, at that – which successfully harnesses all three of these elements, is a miracle. This is one of the best games of the year so far, and I hope that it is adopted by the swathes of gamers that it deserves.
http://www.godisageek.com/2012/08/sound-shapes-review/

STN 5/6
Sound Shapes is colourful, addictive and well designed. It’s a budget title but it’s been designed with the philosophy of a full retail release and although I have to say that I’m not the biggest fan of electronic music, this does seem to fit the style and additive nature of this particular game, so I can forgive it on this occasion for not rocking out.

Although Sound Shapes is both a PS3 and Vita release, it seems that Vita is the main focus here. The game fits the handheld’s screen and nature perfectly. It’s easy to pick up and play in short bursts, but will equally draw you in for hours on end as you go about creating the perfect level. Sound Shapes could very well turn out to be one of the biggest PS Vita releases of the year, as well as being one of the best.
http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/08/07/sound-shapes-review/

Thesixthaxis 9/10
Sound Shapes has emerged as one of the Vita’s finest games, seemingly out of nowhere. It’s deep and complex enough for the hardcore whilst remaining accessible and fun for those that just want something a little bit different. As a platformer there’re probably better options, but this isn’t just a platformer – it’s a music sequencer, an underwater explore-em-up, a bullet-hell shooter and a trip into the minds of a bunch of people we wouldn’t normally get to experience. Just buy it.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/08/07/review-sound-shapes-ps-vitaps3/

kassatsu

Banned
I just found out about another artist involved with the game, which is Cory Schmitz. He didn't created any particular levels but was involved with various things like the logo and the playable character. You can read a little more about it at the recently relaunched Attract Mode.

http://attractmo.de/

Cory should have his GAF account approved today hopefully. He has been reading the thread.

Tratorn

Really nice reviews. :)
Will there be a review-thread for this?

The game needs more attention.
Would do it myself, but i'm just a little junior.

Top Bottom