• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

skynidas

Banned
Hey, the people from Europe, why don't you guys get those Best Buy codes emailed to you? I'm in Spain and that's what i'm doing to buy stuff from the US PlayStation Store.

softie

Hey, the people from Europe, why don't you guys get those Best Buy codes emailed to you? I'm in Spain and that's what i'm doing to buy stuff from the US PlayStation Store.

Me too, but there are people, that like to play SS on their Vitas and do hate switching accounts. ;-)

Kureizu

Me too, but there are people, that like to play SS on their Vitas and do hate switching accounts. ;-)

Switching accounts does not take more than a couple minutes once you know what to do. Just switched to my US account on my Vita in preparation for the store update and it was really easy and fast.

Oh and the Best Buy PSN card thing is absolutely godlike for the Europeans.

Cornbread78

Somebody post when this is up on the NA PSN, so I can run to Subway and download it from their free Wi-Fi while on lunch break.

Since I pre-ordered it on PS3, it should show as already paid and on my D/L list ready to go on my VITA, correct?

Wow, I didn't know Jonathan Mak was involved in this. I was wondering what he has been doing after Pixel Junk shooter. I already pre-ordered this before I watched his level creation video. But even more hyped now.

Zia

Wow, I didn't know Jonathan Mak was involved in this. I was wondering what he has been doing after Pixel Junk shooter. I already pre-ordered this before I watched his level creation video. But even more hyped now.

Everyday Shooter. : )

I remember thinking he signed a three-game deal with Sony, a la tgc and Giant Sparrow, but I haven't been able to find any info confirming it.

Digital games need all the attention that they can get. If a review thread with a bunch of positive reviews (which seems inevitable for this game) does it then that's a good thing.

Sony should do a better job of promoting their games. Not sure why a downloadable game or any game for that matter should have an embargo on reviews right up to release.

nofi

Sony should do a better job of promoting their games. Not sure why a downloadable game or any game for that matter should have an embargo on reviews right up to release.

Quite.

Sony normally have embargoes that are about a month out for retail stuff.

Zia

I think it's a way to, a) make an event out of release during what they perceive to be a very narrow window of opportunity and b) allow people to participate in that "event," hoping that they will make a mental commitment to their product before any negativity has had the chance to seep onto the internet.

It's shortsighted and breeds cynicism, in my opinion.

krpiper

Nothing yet at 930 CSD, however when I went and looked I saw they have chinatown wars. When did that get put up on the store?

GeoramA

My new PS3 is on it's way and this game will christen it. Can't wait!

Would rather play on Vita, but it's really not an option right now.

Cyberia

Sound Shapes' real crime is not just the irritation of dying (which isn't too awful on its own, considering how kind the checkpointing is), but the fact the music is repeatedly halted and rewound, turning what could and should be euphoric and uplifting into the worst aural atrocity since DJ Pied Piper's war crime of a song 'We're loving it'.
A flawed gem, then. I found it mightily upsetting to have something in my hands capable of such beauty, such triumphant gaming bliss, only to have that thing ultimately turn into disappointment and frustration. It's almost more upsetting than playing something that was never up to much in the first place.

Sounds a bit like the Vita, doesn't it?

http://www.videogamer.com/psvita/sound_shapes/review.html

7/10

8byte

Banned
Pot shots at Vita in a gaming review, huh? Cutesies!

Still excited for this, as I don't expect to be awful enough at the game to ruin my experience.

Cornbread78

Side question. Do the PS3 and VITA versions have seperate trophies, or are the game saves transferrable and they are they same trophy list?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Slightly odd review - the platforming is fine. Sounds like he just had trouble with the difficulty level.

So it's difficult? Good to hear. Videogamer am babby gamer.

Side question. Do the PS3 and VITA versions have seperate trophies, or are the game saves transferrable and they are they same trophy list?

I haven't heard of a PS3/Vita game using only 1 trophy set, so I doubt it it only has 1

Zia

No, it's not difficult at all. The post-game bits are, but the game itself is a breeze. Most odd.

I thought that strange as well.

Also, I'm not sure how he expected the sound design and sense of musical progression to function after you've failed, but he didn't seem to understand why it works the way it does.

I obviously haven't had the hands-on time this person supposedly did (he omits a lot of info I'd find important), but I feel like we've played a different game.

nofi

I thought that strange as well.

Also, I'm not sure how he expected the sound design and sense of musical progression to function after you've failed, but he didn't seem to understand why it works the way it does.

I obviously haven't had the hands-on time this game supposedly did (he omits a lot of info I'd find important), but I feel like we've played a different game.

Pretty much. If the music doesn't flip back to the nearest bar, how on earth is the rest of teh screen supposed to sync up?

Baffling review, no idea what's going on with it other that it doesn't match my view at all - and no mention of any post-game stuff either which is where the meat of the game is.

According to that review:

+Superb editor
+A work of incredible intelligence
+Utterly beguiling at first
-Platforming fundamentals let it down

Doesn't sound promising as the platforming should be the meat and potatoes of the game. I don't want to play an editor.

nofi

+Superb editor

Doesn't sound promising as the platforming should be the meat and potatoes of the game. I don't want to play an editor.

The platforming is top notch. Don't worry.

8byte

Banned

+Superb editor

You're buying into this review? Really? The guy that leads and closes with Vita jokes is what you're going off of?

Moze

Banned
any word on the length?

i know the game has tons of replay value and all that stuff but i still want atleast 4-5 hours from the main single player

Pranay

Now that what i call an awesome launch trailer.

Totally Sold.

Anyone who make the review thread should add that video.

Top Bottom