• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park, Metro: LL, Company of Heroes 2 all delayed, THQ looking for cash options

rbanke

Their fiscal 2014 is calendar year march 2013-2014? or am I off by a year?

EDIT: ah the OP's been updated. Yea so SP could only be delayed by a month or two?

Tagg9

I still wonder where they got the money to pay Jason Rubin. Seems like he'll probably be making a decent salary in his new position.

Quentyn

So, it sounds like they're actually looking for a source of money to actually support this idea.

The calendar movement for the release of games will likely create a need for additional capital. THQ has engaged Centerview Partners LLC to assist the company in evaluating strategic and financing alternatives intended to improve THQ’s overall liquidity, including raising additional capital, preserve the company’s ability to bring the best possible games to market during the most advantageous release windows and to help address the $100 million 5% convertible senior notes due August 2014.

Yea, doesn´t sound too good. Conference call starts in five minutes.

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1754428&highlight=

stuminus3

THQ are still on the downward spiral and may not live to see 2013? DAMN YOU OBSIDIAN IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT somehow.

In all seriousness I hope if the worst happens with THQ that their IPs (and the talent that creates them) somehow ends up intact elsewhere.

Kahoona

Seeing Metro: Last Light as a launch title for next-gen consoles makes a ton of sense. I can see them demoing it on-stage at E3 to show off one of the two consoles' horsepower.

Patryn

So will the marketing budget for these games be what change has fallen into the couches at THQ?

Calling it: These games are going to be sent to die.

Robin64

Wikipedia said:
For example, the United States government fiscal year for 2013 ("FY 2013" or "FY13") is as follows:

1st quarter: 1 October 2012 – 31 December 2012
2nd quarter: 1 January 2013 – 31 March 2013
3rd quarter: 1 April 2013 – 30 June 2013
4th quarter: 1 July 2013 – 30 September 2013

That means FY 2014 would begin on 1 October 2013. Unless this entry on Wikipedia is wrong.

I love how people just ignore the obvious to take weak shots at Obsidian. Putzes.

Can you really draw that conclusion from the press release though? It sounds more like Obsidian (and the other studios) need to delay their game a few months due to polish concerns. Which is pretty typical Obsidian.

rbanke

So if these games are only actually being pushed a few months, is this simply to bolster their 2014 FY financials compared to 2013?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if these games are only actually being pushed a few months, is this simply to bolster their 2014 FY financials compared to 2013?

They don't really have any cash, so they're hoping a better window and more development time will allow the games to be breakout hits and save the company.

As it stands, they're working with a financing firm to try and raise money to pay off their next $100 million debt payment while still being able to market and develop games.

Eideka

Banned
Seeing Metro: Last Light as a launch title for next-gen consoles makes a ton of sense. I can see them demoing it on-stage at E3 to show off one of the two consoles' horsepower.

But it will release in March according to the OP....

Before it was planned to release "early 2013".

rbanke

They don't really have any cash, so they're hoping a better window and more development time will allow the games to be breakout hits and save the company.

As it stands, they're working with a financing firm to try and raise $100 million to pay off their next debt payment.

Gambling for big money it seems.

or any money

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This might just be the last hurrah for THQ. Someone will buy Saint's Row and WWE will find someone else to make their wrasslin' games.

It sounds to me like these games are their last hope, and they're doing everything possible to release them in a polished, sellable shape. Which means delaying them to 2014 FY and hoping they get the funds to make it happen.

If they were ready by 2013 FY they would release them then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what the 10 in-development games are?

Homefront 2
Turtle Rock Studios game
South Park
Metro: Last Light
Company of Heroes 2
Saint's Row the Fourth
next WWE game (?)
Dawn of War 3 (?)
the former Warhammer MMO (?)
??

Relic has a MOBA in development so one of them is presumably that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not surprising. Haven't heard anything on South Park or Metro in a long time and they would get lost in the early 2013 shuffle. I can see Metro as a launch title for next gen. It'll look fantastic and would probably do quite well in the launch window. Really surprised it still says March actually.

Eideka

Banned
Not surprising. Haven't heard anything on South Park or Metro in a long time and they would get lost in the early 2013 shuffle. I can see Metro as a launch title for next gen. It'll look fantastic and would probably do quite well in the launch window. Really surprised it still says March actually.

Yeah March 2013 for Metro sounds too good.

Will surely be delayed again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The crazy thing about South Park being delayed that far is that it already has preorder bonuses
201292_bonusLG.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
And I thought it wasn't possible for me to hate THQ any more. Stop fucking delaying South Park you incompetent bastards!

Pachinko

An entire extra year ? really ? How could it take THAT long to make a south park rpg that plays like a 16 bit final fantasy game.

I wouldn't be throwing a single red cent at this company if I were an investor, that ships just full of holes , water logged and the crew is clearly just trying to get the gold out before it sinks with the ship.

Top Bottom