• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah.....that is always the part I was always apprehensive about, anime comedy and I historically have not gotten along, and if the opening is all about a "hiiiiiilarious" sequence at a Boob-cafe then, well, consider me pessimistic

But I'll give it a chance.

I will say one thing about how the episode ends: you will never see it coming.

You mean like

hsotdplotbjjpv.gif

Is this the only good part of the show or is it always this crazy ?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah.....that is always the part I was always apprehensive about, anime comedy and I historically have not gotten along, and if the opening is all about a "hiiiiiilarious" sequence at a Boob-cafe then, well, consider me pessimistic

But I'll give it a chance.

People are overreacting.

Part of the episode takes place in a space Hooters.There are a couple of related jokes. That's it.

johnsmith

remember me
I didn't really like this. Didn't find it funny and was bored despite all the crazy crap going on. Reminded me of FLCL which to me isn't a good thing.

Clov

Finally got around to watching it. The first half was okay, but I loved the second half! Lots of great bits of slapstick. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.

I judge music based off of whether I like it or not...
If you don't compare it to an artists previous work or something similar in composition, you're being disingenuous. I'm not turning this into a semantics debate, the point I was making is that your comparison is poor.

People are overreacting.

Part of the episode takes place in a space Hooters.There are a couple of related jokes. That's it.

If you're talking about the people complaining about 'fanservice' then yes, I agree. However, if you think people are 'overreacting' because they didn't find Space Dandy's brand of comedy appealing then you're in the wrong.

noobasuar

Banned
Just watched it on my DVR. I thought it was pretty awesome all the way through. Going to need to do a rewatch on LSD to get the full effect of all those colors.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you're talking about the people complaining about 'fanservice' then yes, I agree. However, if you think people are 'overreacting' because they didn't find Space Dandy's brand of comedy appealing then you're in the wrong.

Yes, the fanservice is what I'm talking about.

If you don't think it's funny, you don't think it's funny.

Narag

I'm sad this is already 1/4 the length of my KLK thread in only a fraction of the time. There goes my dream of having the longest specific anime thread :/

Didn't you make the HxH thread?

edit: oops when i looked it was only loading 50ppp. I was impressed thinking it was 60+ at 100ppp lol

Didn't you make the HxH thread?

edit: oops when i looked it was only loading 50ppp. I was impressed thinking it was 60+ at 100ppp lol

Yeah, also made the JoJo one. Guess those are some successful threads.

But yeah, I don't actually care. Just interesting to see activity and all that. AoT thread is still king, but that isn't going to last between this and (possibly) Kill la Kill.

Though this one seems to be more about people being angry that it isn't Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo.

Found some time to watch this tonight and I enjoyed the first episode. I like the 4th wall breaking aspect of it. I didn't realize how much of a sucker for the setting I'd be. Space and all the oddities possible looks like it will work well in this show. Kind of like a Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers...were thrown into a blender and these vivid images were poured out.

The misadventures of Dandy, QT, and Meow can stay will be saying on my DVR for the rest of it's run.

Fanservice shows are about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. It makes money, but it turns off people who aren't looking to jerk off to their waifus, and it's usually mutually exclusive with quality creative output because the people involved in these projects know exactly what they're doing.

I didn't comment on this before, but don't you think this is kind of mean-spirited even if we do ignore the whole "is this a fanservice show or not" debate (which I personally think is ridiculous that it's even considered, but hey, opinions and all that).

Mature

Found some time to watch this tonight and I enjoyed the first episode. I like the 4th wall breaking aspect of it. I didn't realize how much of a sucker for the setting I'd be. Space and all the oddities possible looks like it will work well in this show. Kind of like a Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers...were thrown into a blender and these vivid images were poured out.

The misadventures of Dandy, QT, and Meow can stay will be saying on my DVR for the rest of it's run.
Yep, same thing happened to me. I was all down for the setting and it sounded cool, but actually watching the episode made me super excited about what they'll do in this universe. Just pausing and looking at all the different zany background aliens in episode one was a lot of fun. And considering they're apparently going to have a different Art Direction per-episode is going to make this series feel especially unique.

I just realized, this show is more in line with the other
superior
Watanabe's work. Nabeshin should totally direct an episode or something.

VARIA

What a waste of amazing animation that first episode was. I'll watch two more episodes before I pass judgment on the series but so far it seems like wasted potential. Space Dandy (the main character) doesn't seem like a character that can carry the show. He would've made more sense as a supporting character. I'll wait and see how this pans out.

First episode: 5/10

The fan service didn't bother me one bit, it was the poor writing it tried to disguise that did.

What a waste of amazing animation that first episode was. I'll watch two more episodes before I pass judgment on the series but so far it seems like wasted potential. Space Dandy (the main character) doesn't seem like a character that can carry the show. He would've made more sense as a supporting character. I'll wait and see how this pans out.

First episode: 5/10

The fan service didn't bother me one bit, it was the poor writing it tried to disguise that did.
Guys like Dandy are great. There are plenty of brooders, honest types, shounen heroes, pretty boy anti heroes and super eligible bachelors in leading roles. Guys like Dandy trip over their own feet and just fumble into the most awkward pose without skipping a beat. It'd be great if he's the one constantly being saved by Honey and the woman who looks a little too much like Rachel from Blade Runner.

Mononoke

Banned
I liked it, but I also had some issues. Kind of found the crass humor to be hit and miss. I just didn't find those moments all that funny. But I did like the animation quite a bit. And I liked the characters a lot.

Danj

Rewatched this in the subtitled version this time. Definitely growing on me. I also love the OP/ED and feel the dub fans are really missing out not getting those.

Three cheers for Hulu. Just watched the first episode. Pretty funny and really bizarre. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't
space hooters and cosmic strings.
Bewildering.

BBboy20

Fanservice shows are about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. It makes money, but it turns off people who aren't looking to jerk off to their waifus, and it's usually mutually exclusive with quality creative output because the people involved in these projects know exactly what they're doing.

Faye dressing provocatively or occasional sexy characters showing up does not make Cowboy Bebop a goddamned fanservice show. Kill la Kill, on the other hand, tries to be self-aware and tongue-in-cheek about its fanservice but overwhelms everything else about the show with it, and clearly demonstrates what the creators' intent is. I can't show normal people Kill la Kill. Or this episode of Space Dandy.

I would have stopped watching halfway through if I didn't know this was by Shinichiro Watanabe. Opening up with an episode like this doesn't bode well for me. Let's see how the second one fares.
hkATL.gif

The fact I just responded with a gif to an admin doesn't bod well for me, does it?

Mr. F

Banned
Some amazing animation, and a few good gags (QT printing circles was pretty great). On the fanservice stuff, after reading some impressions here I was expecting far worse. Didn't really give it a second thought; a boobies restaurant seemed as fittingly dumb and over the top as anything else in the context of the show (like a giant ball-gagged statue of liberty head spaceship).

The lack of focus and 4th wall stuff was more distracting, but hopefully that sorts itself out. I'll probably be watching either way, really enjoying the music and look (even if Dandy's dubbed lipsynching is a bit distracting).

Also holy hell does the JP intro beat the dubbed one.

DarkKyo

Aw come on... you're over-generalizing. There aren't just two views on fanservice(love/hate). There are also those like myself who are apathetic to it and take it in stride. There are plenty of things to like about the show and the fanservice isn't a deal killer for me. As long as the show isn't about the fanservice itself and just uses it as a character/story development tool it can be fine. Dandy seems to be a bit of a man whore so it's no surprise that he's obsessed with women to that extent(that he'd go to a hooters-type restaurant).

DarkKyo

But they talked about boobies!

You just did, too! Your life must be all about fanservice.
People need to remember that even Bebop had fanservice. It's just a part of the medium and it doesn't have to detract from the clout of the show.

duckroll

I find the entire discussion about fanservice with relation to Space Dandy pretty boring honestly. The entire segment is obviously a Hooters gag, except it's drawn out such that it's kinda lame and forced rather than funny. At no point did I feel that the show was trying to sell anything to the audience which actually watches "fanservice anime" because that's not how you would do it at all. Complaining about the fanservice seems to me like missing the point a bit.

What's weak about the episode was that the comedy wasn't really spot on, and the pacing was pretty dreadful outside of the crazy planet of death physical antics at the end. It seemed that Watanabe was aware that he was going nowhere with his script too, because he decided to end it with one big "LOL BAD END". Clearly not the best opener for a series, but there are far more flaws to criticize in the execution than "lol fanservice".

In fact, with better writing and tighter pacing for the jokes, it would have been much clearer how insignificant the "boobies" part of the episode actually is. It just feels like it goes on forever because some of the stuff just dragged and dragged.

Watanabe should probably stick to directing, and leave the writing to more capable people who are more than willing to work with him. :p

V_Arnold

Faye dressing provocatively or occasional sexy characters showing up does not make Cowboy Bebop a goddamned fanservice show. Kill la Kill, on the other hand, tries to be self-aware and tongue-in-cheek about its fanservice but overwhelms everything else about the show with it, and clearly demonstrates what the creators' intent is. I can't show normal people Kill la Kill. Or this episode of Space Dandy.

I would have stopped watching halfway through if I didn't know this was by Shinichiro Watanabe. Opening up with an episode like this doesn't bode well for me. Let's see how the second one fares.

I do not know about that. Your friends (normal people?) do not watch comedy? Or sex-related jokes? Game of Thrones must be a hard taboo then, or Lost Girl, or whatever the equivalent for this is. Besides, I do not think this was even fanservice. Girls in bikinis and almost revealing outfits pale to some of the crazy things that are considered today's fanservice. Look up randomc.net (for which I have no idea or excuse to still follow, but their quarterly season overviews are good!), and just click on stuff like Bakemonogatari, Ore no Imouto ga Whateveritsname is, stuff like that. Now THAT is fanservice. Revealing outfits are no longer that, imho.

Edit: also,I just realized 'fanservice' might be utterly wrong as a word in the context GAF keeps using it. Fanservice used to mean characters in anime/manga/tv interacting in ways that could be misinterpreted. This is just some not-so-toned down sexual pandering.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I might watch it subtitled with my other half (Japanese, both of us children of the 70s and 80s), see how she responds.

V_Arnold

It'd be a bit messed up if you got banned for it.

Are you reverse backseat modding the owner of the site?
Am I backseat modding your post? o_O

....back to the show: Is it known if they will retain the
protagonist gets killed
structure or was that just some flashy stuff to get our attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom