• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
"bad end" isn't really "canon" in comedy anime with light continuity. Hell, I recall everyone dying at some point in Galaxy Angels.

Firemind

I find the entire discussion about fanservice with relation to Space Dandy pretty boring honestly. The entire segment is obviously a Hooters gag, except it's drawn out such that it's kinda lame and forced rather than funny. At no point did I feel that the show was trying to sell anything to the audience which actually watches "fanservice anime" because that's not how you would do it at all. Complaining about the fanservice seems to me like missing the point a bit.

What's weak about the episode was that the comedy wasn't really spot on, and the pacing was pretty dreadful outside of the crazy planet of death physical antics at the end. It seemed that Watanabe was aware that he was going nowhere with his script too, because he decided to end it with one big "LOL BAD END". Clearly not the best opener for a series, but there are far more flaws to criticize in the execution than "lol fanservice".

In fact, with better writing and tighter pacing for the jokes, it would have been much clearer how insignificant the "boobies" part of the episode actually is. It just feels like it goes on forever because some of the stuff just dragged and dragged.

Watanabe should probably stick to directing, and leave the writing to more capable people who are more than willing to work with him. :p

ALL HAIL DUCKLORD OUR VOICE OF REASON

FORGIVE US WE ARE BUT MERE DROPS OF WATER IN THE VAST OCEAN

PLEASE DO NOT CONCERN THYSELF WITH OUR INSIGNIFICANT SQUABBLES

Branduil

I find the entire discussion about fanservice with relation to Space Dandy pretty boring honestly. The entire segment is obviously a Hooters gag, except it's drawn out such that it's kinda lame and forced rather than funny. At no point did I feel that the show was trying to sell anything to the audience which actually watches "fanservice anime" because that's not how you would do it at all. Complaining about the fanservice seems to me like missing the point a bit.

What's weak about the episode was that the comedy wasn't really spot on, and the pacing was pretty dreadful outside of the crazy planet of death physical antics at the end. It seemed that Watanabe was aware that he was going nowhere with his script too, because he decided to end it with one big "LOL BAD END". Clearly not the best opener for a series, but there are far more flaws to criticize in the execution than "lol fanservice".

In fact, with better writing and tighter pacing for the jokes, it would have been much clearer how insignificant the "boobies" part of the episode actually is. It just feels like it goes on forever because some of the stuff just dragged and dragged.

Watanabe should probably stick to directing, and leave the writing to more capable people who are more than willing to work with him. :p

Well, isn't that what he's doing for the rest of the series?

Celine

Ok, watched it.
Good music and graphics but it wasn't much interesting IMO.
It felt like a pilot episode that went nowhere.

Still curious about the rest episodes.

Jex

Pff you just feel okay saying that because because you're a mod!

This is the first time he's actually done any scriptwriting himself, right? I don't mind him wanting to try his hand at something new, but I have to question his judgement on burdening the opening episode of his big new show that's supposed to hook people in with his attempt.

This is the first time he's actually done any scriptwriting himself, right? I don't mind him wanting to try his hand at something new, but I have to question his judgement on burdening the opening episode of his big new show that's supposed to hook people in with his attempt.

he's worked on scripts before.

...........one time was Boogie Woogie Feng Shui

Gazoinks

That's funny, because when I was watching Bebop, that episode seemed significantly weaker than the ones surrounding it. Guess Watanabe really should stick to direction.

That's funny, because when I was watching Bebop, that episode seemed significantly weaker than the ones surrounding it. Guess Watanabe really should stick to direction.

i don't hate it, but i think that's generally the most disliked episode (mine is probably Jamming with Edward, personally). he also worked on the last few episodes of Samurai Champloo, which i haven't seen.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
In that case, it's a good thing we actually have capable writers like Keiko Nobumoto and Dai Sato working on the series later on.;p

Soma

Does every Watanabe show create this much tension as it airs? This is the first one I'm on board for live.
I remember the thread for Kids on the Slope being pretty tame compared to this one. Most people agreed that the first several episodes were great and while it declined a bit for a few episodes, it still ended up being a really solid show.

I actually feel like giving that one a re-watch now.

Conan-san

Last pic I promise.
Does this look like a Wiimote to anyone else?

sd3.jpg

Clearly Dandy shops for this junk from the same place Team Rocket does.

Space Dandy Premier did over 1 million for its premier

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.8 HH, 1.153 million

Was the highest rated show on the toonami block last week

A little late to the fanservice discussion but I thought it was pretty tame, maybe I'm desensitized to the stuff though lol. It's ridiculous that people are comparing it to Watanabe's earlier works and saying "look at all the fanservice it doesn't have!" Faye is pretty blatant, even if the story and world gives her an excuse to how she dresses. Anime that "regular people" like (take GiTS for example) is filled with that shit, it's just that the rest of the show is good enough that people don't notice it/mind it as much.

I thought the first half of the episode was more awkward than anything, a pretty poor way to start off the first episode even without the fanservice. I think people's expectations for this were a little skewed for this show though, haha. Maybe the show will get super dark or dramatic near the end, would be pretty awesome.

Not that it matters much though, since my university doesn't have cartoon network in HD! I tried using adult swims video watcher but the "HD" quality is still horrendous. Of course this happens with literally the only tv show I was planning on watching on a regular basis.

Nerokis

Does every Watanabe show create this much tension as it airs? This is the first one I'm on board for live.

Samurai Champloo is the only one I was ever live for. Most everyone was blown away by the first episode, I think. I distinctly remember some of the awe struck reactions. I recall the second episode causing some disappointment, though.

Actually, this is OT, but NeoGAF has single-handedly rejuvenated my anime watching habits, and it's entirely the reason I've kept up with series like Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, and now Space Dandy over the past year. And I'm about to watch Mushishi, a series I had never heard of before I caught the GAF thread about the season 2 announcement.

Samurai Champloo is the only one I was ever live for. Most everyone was blown away by the first episode, I think. I distinctly remember some of the awe struck reactions. I recall the second episode causing some disappointment, though.

Actually, this is OT, but NeoGAF has single-handedly rejuvenated my anime watching habits, and it's entirely the reason I've kept up with series like Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, and now Space Dandy over the past year. And I'm about to watch Mushishi, a series I had never heard of before I caught the GAF thread about the season 2 announcement.

I never watched anime until, coincidentally, a GAF thread asking something about music and someone posted the Cowboy Bebop theme song. The song alone sold me on the show. Then when Kid Icarus came out a few years back some people were talking about how they thought it got some inspiration from Gurren Lagann so I watched that one and also fell in love with it. Besides those two and Champloo there really hasn't been any anime that's blown my mind. I think I just got lucky with those shows and the rest are just okay to me. :p

So liking those, are there other Watanabe must watch shows (or shows like those so I can see if those are wild exceptions or I actually do like anime)?

Mature

You should pop into AnimeGAF if you're ever looking for a suggestion. Plenty of people in there love to direct others towards great shows.

Tacitus_

I never watched anime until, coincidentally, a GAF thread asking something about music and someone posted the Cowboy Bebop theme song. The song alone sold me on the show. Then when Kid Icarus came out a few years back some people were talking about how they thought it got some inspiration from Gurren Lagann so I watched that one and also fell in love with it. Besides those two and Champloo there really hasn't been any anime that's blown my mind. I think I just got lucky with those shows and the rest are just okay to me. :p

So liking those, are there other Watanabe must watch shows (or shows like those so I can see if those are wild exceptions or I actually do like anime)?

You should check out Studio Gainax's other stuff if you liked Gurren Lagann. Evangelion is a cliche recommendation but it's that for a reason. FLCL (what they allegedly made to unwind from making Evangelion) is great nonsense if you liked the "break through the impossible" aspects of TTGL. Then Dead Leaves and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (don't let the name and artstyle fool you) ramp up the craziness to humongous levels.

Ghost in the Shell is also a good choice if you want light philosophical waxing and cyber punk. That's off the top of my head, there's several "recommend me some anime" threads here.

That's a pretty cool way to get into the medium.

People are always more than willing to give recommendations over in the seasonal anime threads. It's a pretty big medium, so I'm sure you'll find something to like.

If you liked Gurren Lagann, you may want to check out Kill la Kill and/or Dead Leaves by the same guy, though your tolerance to fanservice and sex jokes may determine how much you enjoy those. I may also recommend Hells Angels and/or Redline.

There's always the "mainstream" anime like Attack on Titan, Afro Samurai, stuff like that. When you haven't seen much, trying to recommend stuff always ends up being a crapshoot, so I guess just check out whatever.

You should check out Studio Gainax's other stuff if you liked Gurren Lagann. Evangelion is a cliche recommendation but it's that for a reason. FLCL (what they allegedly made to unwind from making Evangelion) is great nonsense if you liked the "break through the impossible" aspects of TTGL. Then Dead Leaves and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (don't let the name and artstyle fool you) ramp up the craziness to humongous levels.

Ghost in the Shell is also a good choice if you want light philosophical waxing and cyber punk. That's off the top of my head, there's several "recommend me some anime" threads here.

Luckily, I've already seen Evangelion AND FLCL. I liked both a lot though they weren't over the top in love like I had for the three I mentioned. I'll check out the others for sure though, thanks! :D

That's a pretty cool way to get into the medium.

People are always more than willing to give recommendations over in the seasonal anime threads. It's a pretty big medium, so I'm sure you'll find something to like.

If you liked Gurren Lagann, you may want to check out Kill la Kill and/or Dead Leaves by the same guy, though your tolerance to fanservice and sex jokes may determine how much you enjoy those. I may also recommend Hells Angels and/or Redline.

There's always the "mainstream" anime like Attack on Titan, Afro Samurai, stuff like that. When you haven't seen much, trying to recommend stuff always ends up being a crapshoot, so I guess just check out whatever.

I've seen Titan too...Afro Samurai might be on the eventually list though.

So basically between you two fine people, we're looking at:

Dead Leaves
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Kill la Kill
Hells Angels
Redline
Afro Samurai

Looks like I got my work cut out for me...

Tacitus_

Luckily, I've already seen Evangelion AND FLCL. I liked both a lot though they weren't over the top in love like I had for the three I mentioned. I'll check out the others for sure though, thanks! :D

Dead Leaves and PSG are like FLCL, but with even more sex jokes. I highly recommend them if you like 'dirty' humor like that :D

Nerokis

Ah, so Yoko Kanno is the one who pulled you in. She's one of the main reasons I'm curious to watch Kids on the Slope, another Watanabe production. Here's a very Cowboy Bebop-esque track from the show.

And hey, Gurren Lagann is another anime I saw thanks to GAF! That's one I had heard about before, but never got around to watching. I'm reluctant to confess this, but I probably haven't teared up so much during an anime since Fruits Basket so many years ago.

You should pop into AnimeGAF if you're ever looking for a suggestion. Plenty of people in there love to direct others towards great shows.

Thanks. :) AnimeGAF has definitely inspired me in the past, although I've mostly stuck with the various anime specific threads. I should browse there more often.

NeoGAF has exposed me to more games, manga, and anime then I ever imagined. You guys are horrible for my money and free time lol

Love you guys

duckroll

He also wrote the recap episode of Champloo, and the final four episodes (the lead writer Ohara co-wrote 24-25 though). I think that Watanabe obviously enjoys writing whimsical stuff the best, and stuff which shows his sillier side. It could be good for something in between a series, but yeah, I don't think it was a good idea for him to lead off on the series. The baseball episode in Champloo is still the best thing he has written so far, especially compared to the conclusion of the series. Lol.

He also wrote the recap episode of Champloo, and the final four episodes (the lead writer Ohara co-wrote 24-25 though). I think that Watanabe obviously enjoys writing whimsical stuff the best, and stuff which shows his sillier side. It could be good for something in between a series, but yeah, I don't think it was a good idea for him to lead off on the series. The baseball episode in Champloo is still the best thing he has written so far, especially compared to the conclusion of the series. Lol.

The conclusion wasn't mind blowing but I thought it was appropriate. Also, the baseball episode is easily my favorite episode of anime of all time.

so the final part of the series is kinda shit?

Mature

I wonder if I'm the only one who enjoyed the auto-tuned QT over the Japanese voice... I will admit to the bias of QT sharing the same voice actress as Conan in Case Closed (whom I loved), but I genuinely liked it— auto tuned and all.

Evilisk

I never knew that he wrote that baseball episode. And wait, does that mean he wrote that trippy (and super lame) shroom episode? (Also just realized there will probably be a shroom episode in Space Dandy as well)

The conclusion wasn't mind blowing but I thought it was appropriate. Also, the baseball episode is easily my favorite episode of anime of all time.

Yes. I laughed so hard at that episode. Now if only I had a decent gif of that brofist from the graffiti episode

Gazoinks

I never knew that he wrote that baseball episode. And wait, does that mean he wrote that trippy (and super lame) shroom episode? (Also just realized there will probably be a shroom episode in Space Dandy as well)

Every episode is a shroom episode! That's the point! :p

Actually, most of Bebop's one-off comedy episodes fell a little flat for me. Mushroom Samba was pretty good, but mostly for Ed's adventures in town and the hilarious bounty hunter with the coffin. I wish they'd gone into the hallucinations more. Toys in The Attic didn't do much for me at all.

duckroll

Watanabe co-wrote Mushroom Samba for Bebop, but he didn't write Cosmic Collisions in Champloo. That was all Dai Sato.

Evilisk

Actually, most of Bebop's one-off comedy episodes fell a little flat for me. Mushroom Samba was pretty good, but mostly for Ed's adventures in town and the hilarious bounty hunter with the coffin. I wish they'd gone into the hallucinations more. Toys in The Attic didn't do much for me at all.

Yeah but there's going to be real shroomy shroom episode with actual shrooms in it. Just watch

Also agreed that seeing Ed going off on her own was great though I liked that they didn't go into full trippy mode with the hallucinations, it was enough seeing Spike not going anywhere and Faye swimming in place rather than spending the whole episode watching them do nothing. I personally loved Toys in the Attic though because of the whole reveal and that troll ending
where Ed just ends up eating the thing

Watanabe co-wrote Mushroom Samba for Bebop, but he didn't write Cosmic Collisions in Champloo. That was all Dai Sato.

I guess that would explain why Cosmic Collisions was so boring then. I really wasn't a fan of the episode other than the trick they pulled off in the ending credits

Mature

You're forgetting Cowboy Funk, the best comedy episode!

He wrote Brain Scratch too, didn't he? Crazy bastard.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wonder if I'm the only one who enjoyed the auto-tuned QT over the Japanese voice... I will admit to the bias of QT sharing the same voice actress as Conan in Case Closed (whom I loved), but I genuinely liked it— auto tuned and all.

I like auto-tuned QT, and the voice is just adorable

Ath

Wow, here in the UK, Anime Limited are tentatively going to release the complete collection on Blu-ray on November 24th. That's the advantage of being in Region B and having a dub ready to go I guess.

Fjordson

I liked QT also. And Meow. Thought both performances were great in the dub and I find both characters to be very endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom