• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw both bebop and champloo after they had been released and I marathoned them, so I didn't have to wait week by week like I do for dandy. It's definitely a more difficult way to watch a show and I have to remind myself not to expect too much too fast

Jarmel

Banned
Why don't you people just wait it the fuck out, as some stuff in the episode are hints supposedly like with Honey and there are possibly multiple dimensions. The creators made it clear that it's not like Cowboy Bebop so I don't even know why people keep bringing it up. It's also the first episode so surprisingly* not everything is in place yet.

The staff is just goofing around and having fun. If you want some revelatory experience, Space Dandy is almost certainly not for you.

*Surprising being said in a sarcastic tone

Mature

I'll re-post this since it seems pertinent to the conversation at hand...
VCQEYbc.png

Levyne

Banned
People are passionate about stuff.

Edit: To make this a little more worthwhile, people defend what they like to justify their reaction. We don't really choose what was end up enjoying or not enjoying, and sometimes it can be mildly frustrating to see someone else with a different takeaway and not be 100% sure why. So sometimes voices elevate I suppose.

Jarmel

Banned
Why are so many people who liked episode 1 so fucking defensive and acting like such a goddamn WE CAN'T HAVE OTHER OPINIONS DON'T WATCH IF YOU DON'T LIKE nerd about it? People on my facebook are like "It's a fucking cartoon not Citizen Kane" and "it's comedy, not supposed to be serious" and "Pretentious much?"

It's the first episode. It's fine if you don't like it but it's also just the first episode. They did introduce a bunch of stuff and some plot points that people seem to be ignoring. Also if you don't like the tone in general, the show probably isn't for you. The show isn't some super serious character study like Cowboy Bebop.

Jarate

Banned
Why are so many people who liked episode 1 so fucking defensive and acting like such a goddamn WE CAN'T HAVE OTHER OPINIONS DON'T WATCH IF YOU DON'T LIKE nerd about it? People on my facebook are like "It's a fucking cartoon not Citizen Kane" and "it's comedy, not supposed to be serious" and "Pretentious much?"

Normal Human Reaction - aww man that was disappointing, oh well, its not like I have to watch it

Your reaction - aww man that was disappointing, im gonna go complain on the internet and expect no one to disagree with me!

Jarate

Banned
Haven't said that at all, and you've been more the second one more than anything. You can't take any single criticism. At the very least, most critics of Space Dandy make a concession that the second half is GREAT. You're like,"well it's just fine. Shut the fuck up and stop criticizing my baby!"

Why are so many people who liked episode 1 so fucking defensive and acting like such a goddamn WE CAN'T HAVE OTHER OPINIONS DON'T WATCH IF YOU DON'T LIKE nerd about it?

The only one freakin out is you dawg

If you dont like it, that's cool, and hey there are issues with the show, it's definitely not perfect.

But no shit people are defending the show they like. What do you expect everyone to agree with your super special opinions?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Perhaps it's just what I was used to looking for as a Watanabe fan. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo showed a particular attention to deconstructive techniques in bringing attention to interesting cultural/generational artifacts, so my expectations coming into Space Dandy was for more of the same, but with parody in mind. I'll stick with watching for at least a few more episodes, because it could turn itself around, but it hasn't seemed very successful in its satire to me so far (and I already mentioned how the music and visual design hasn't captivated me the way that his other work has... yet.)

Seems like you're expecting something that isn't there.

This is Galaxy Angels minus moe boobies plus pompadour and alien cat, with more focus on being space as part of the setup/joke.

Firemind

Apparently you can't criticize the writing of a single episode in a (semi) episodic show.

what point? you just kept complaining about the same thing after i asked why it's so important in the first place.

To create a hook.

The writers forgot the storytelling basics (considering it's science fiction): establishing the protagonists, their world and the general premise. It's not that they didn't do a good job; they didn't do a good enough job. I understood the premise from the first episode, but the character- and world-building could use have used some tighter writing. I suppose I set my expectations too high. My apologies.

To create a hook.

The writers forgot the storytelling basics (considering it's science fiction): establishing the protagonists, their world and the general premise. It's not that they didn't do a good job; they didn't do a good enough job. I understood the premise from the first episode, but the character- and world-building could use have used some tighter writing. I suppose I set my expectations too high. My apologies.

and they need to fully develop a character who appears for half the episode to have a hook? come on. this is getting ridiculous.

There's a line between full developed and giving you a reason to give a shit.

are you really going to try to justify "Meow isn't developed as a character so this show has no hook"? i can understand the "no hook" statement on its own maybe, but tying it to a single character is bizarre.

dan2026

You guys are analysing this show way too much.

Its not supposed to be Shakespeare. Its a fun piece of light comedy with wacky characters.

Keep bitching and you will ruin it for yourselves.

Jarate

Banned
No. I didn't.

I just wanna know why you think this "fanservice" is bad?

They are at a hooters knockoff, and the main characters is a perv. It's not like it was tacked on for the "fans" sake, this is the part of the story, and a part of the universe.

If showing half naked women on TV was fanservice then so many shows would fall under that, including a ton of western shows.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are analysing this show way too much.

Its not supposed to be Shakespeare. Its a fun piece of light comedy with wacky characters.

Keep bitching and you will ruin it for yourselves.
And here we go.

Jarate

Banned
Apparently you can't criticize the writing of a single episode in a (semi) episodic show.

To create a hook.

It's a comedy, don't expect the tightest world and coherent plotlines. It's a Comedy, that happens to be a sci-fi, this isn't Star Trek.

And once again, we're in episode 1 of a 26 episode series. They did a good job of introducing Dandy, and QT, and they really didn't have enough time to develop Meow with that action scene they added. Once again, they have 20 minutes to do everything you expect, and maybe in a drama in a totally serious world, you can introduce those things, but it's a comedy. That stuff should be in the backseat because you have to tell jokes.

Jarate

Banned
You really expect people to explain why fan service is gross?

Explain to me what was so "disgusting" about this "fanservice"

seriously, it's a fucking hooters knockoff, what the hell do you expect? Do you want them to dress normally, that would go against the characters and universe.

Essay

Seems like you're expecting something that isn't there.

This is Galaxy Angels minus moe boobies plus pompadour and alien cat, with more focus on being space as part of the setup/joke.

Yeah, and it might be the case that the show's just not playing to what I have experience with. The jazzy sci-fi kung-fu and hip-hop chanbara were matches made in heaven for me because I was already a fan of their parts. After Googling Galaxy Angel, however... yeah, I might be looking for something else, if that's what Space Dandy is celebrating.

If I was going to attempt to build an appreciation for the genres and works that we think Space Dandy is playing off of, what sort of stuff would people direct me to watch? I've seen at least one colourful space anime with similar aesthetics and alien designs referenced, but I can't for the life of me remember its name.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, and it might be the case that the show's just not playing to what I have experience with. The jazzy sci-fi kung-fu and hip-hop chanbara were matches made in heaven for me because I was already a fan of their parts. After Googling Galaxy Angel, however... yeah, I might be looking for something else, if that's what Space Dandy is celebrating.

If I was going to attempt to build an appreciation for the genres and works that we think Space Dandy is playing off of, what sort of stuff would people direct me to watch? I've seen at least one colourful space anime with similar aesthetics and alien designs referenced, but I can't for the life of me remember its name.

any type of old school sci-fi anime will do, or even any old school western sci fi.

daffy

Banned
I think one of the issues is that people were expecting a badass dude going on a quirky space adventure, and what they got was a comedy which is based off old sci fi.

Dandy is quite possibly one of the most incompetent people in anime, and that may irk some.

This is practically a scifi Seinfeld, (although not nearly as good) with horrible people doing horrible things.
Can you really say all of this based on one episode? A scifi Sienfeld?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fanservice shows are about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. It makes money, but it turns off people who aren't looking to jerk off to their waifus, and it's usually mutually exclusive with quality creative output because the people involved in these projects know exactly what they're doing.

Faye dressing provocatively or occasional sexy characters showing up does not make Cowboy Bebop a goddamned fanservice show. Kill la Kill, on the other hand, tries to be self-aware and tongue-in-cheek about its fanservice but overwhelms everything else about the show with it, and clearly demonstrates what the creators' intent is. I can't show normal people Kill la Kill. Or this episode of Space Dandy.

I would have stopped watching halfway through if I didn't know this was by Shinichiro Watanabe. Opening up with an episode like this doesn't bode well for me. Let's see how the second one fares.

Pretty sure Space Dandy is heavily influenced by stuff like Space Adventure Cobra.

How does Cobra hold up? Is it accessible to new fans or just too much of a relic?

Fanservice shows are about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. It makes money, but it turns off people who aren't looking to jerk off to their waifus, and it's usually mutually exclusive with quality creative output because the people involved in these projects know exactly what they're doing.

Faye dressing provocatively or occasional sexy characters showing up does not make Cowboy Bebop a goddamned fanservice show. Kill la Kill, on the other hand, tries to be self-aware and tongue-in-cheek about its fanservice but overwhelms everything else about the show with it, and clearly demonstrates what the creators' intent is. I can't show normal people Kill la Kill. Or this episode of Space Dandy.

I would have stopped watching halfway through if I didn't know this was by Shinichiro Watanabe. Opening up with an episode like this doesn't bode well for me. Let's see how the second one fares.

I felt the same way. The fanservice + the 4th wall nonsense combo was really off-putting. But the 2nd half of the episode totally made it up for me though. I'm setting my expectations for this to be a dumb, fun, action scifi show.

Yup. I was also quite disappointed. It makes me think the story in this will be less of epic space adventure and more of a goof around show which is not what I expected from Watanabe. Even his slice of life show had a serious plot to it.

I still think its too early to judge Space Dandy though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Boobies is going to turn out to be some huge underground society of women spies pulling political strings while under the facade of being a hooters-clone breastaurant. Just watch.

Jarate

Banned

Fanservice exists in practically every modern show. Were you disgusted at the sex scenes in Game of Thrones? Were you disgusted when they show naked characters in films?

And nothing in Dandy was even that horrid. They already set up that it was a Hooters Knockoff. What do you expect them to wear? And maybe the creator wanted a character that was a perv (to go along with the fact that he's supposed to be a bad person) and it was necessary to the plot?

Yup. I was also quite disappointed. It makes me think the story in this will be less of epic space adventure and more of a goof around show which is not what I expected from Watanabe. Even his slice of life show had a serious plot to it.

Well, the show's billed as a scifi comedy. Not saying the writing in EP1 was flawless or anything, but it's definitely not a serious-business show.

Branduil

I thought the restaurant scene was fairly tame by anime standards. It was still weak, but mostly because the jokes weren't as funny. I would prefer there to be less scenes like that, but given Dandy's character and the show's influence, it will probably always be there to some extent.

Jarate

Banned

Maybe you shouldn't go into the show with a preconceived notion of what the show should be? Maybe you should enjoy it for what it is?

This is one of the huge issues people seem to have, they look at it and go, "man this was made by the guy who made Cowboy Bebop, this must be an incredibly adult and serious show" When its intention so far was to be a goofy comedy.

FluxWaveZ

Fanservice exists in practically every modern show. Were you disgusted at the sex scenes in Game of Thrones? Were you disgusted when they show naked characters in films?

He just said something to the effect that fanservice isn't a problem unless the show is overpowered by it and mainly revolves around the fanservice itself. Elements of it in other shows doesn't make a show revolve around fanservice ala Kill la Kill.

Jarate

Banned
He just said something to the effect that fanservice isn't a problem unless the show is overpowered by it and mainly revolves around the fanservice itself. Elements of it in other shows doesn't make a show revolve around fanservice ala Kill la Kill.

Was Space Dandy "powered by fanservice"

It sure friggin wasn't

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Maybe you shouldn't go into the show with a preconceived notion of what the show should be? Maybe you should enjoy it for what it is?

This is one of the huge issues people seem to have, they look at it and go, "man this was made by the guy who made Cowboy Bebop, this must be an incredibly adult and serious show" When its intention so far was to be a goofy comedy.

Even clearing one's head of preconceived notions, if one simply does not want an outrageous sci-fi comedy that hinges on its main cast being absolute perverts and incompetent numbskulls then nothing will change that. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed by what we've seen so far (though it's far too early to truly call anything), it just doesn't make Space Dandy an objectively bad show.

Jarate

Banned
He was talking about the first part of the show, which it most certainly was.

how was it "powered by fanservice"

explain this to me. Maybe it was powered by the fact that you wanted to see the misadventures of a douche and his klutzy robot?

FluxWaveZ

how was it "powered by fanservice"

explain this to me. Maybe it was powered by the fact that you wanted to see the misadventures of a douche and his klutzy robot?

Not "powered by fanservice", but that the content of the first half of the show was "overpowered" by it. Constant references to boobies and ass will do that.

The thing is, Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime series normal people like. So let's get funding from Adult Swim and do the complete opposite and scare them away while catering to otkau. Makes sense.

Ed is another example of catering to otaku. Shit ass character. Nothing as bad as him in here, sure there's boobs all over the place but it's no different from Faye's ridiculous outfit

Maybe it's the tone that's throwing y'all off but you've had like a month or two to get used to it since it was so obvious it would be like this since the announcement of the name, images, characters etc

Firemind

are you really going to try to justify "Meow isn't developed as a character so this show has no hook"? i can understand the "no hook" statement on its own maybe, but tying it to a single character is bizarre.

Apparently you missed it, because I also mentioned the writing in general and the scene transitions in addition to the character building. The humour was also lacking for a pure comedy show.

It's a comedy, don't expect the tightest world and coherent plotlines. It's a Comedy, that happens to be a sci-fi, this isn't Star Trek.

And once again, we're in episode 1 of a 26 episode series. They did a good job of introducing Dandy, and QT, and they really didn't have enough time to develop Meow with that action scene they added. Once again, they have 20 minutes to do everything you expect, and maybe in a drama in a totally serious world, you can introduce those things, but it's a comedy. That stuff should be in the backseat because you have to tell jokes.

I understand. I will now treat the show as I did with Panty & Stocking. Hopefully, this show will have better punchlines.

Jarate

Banned
The thing is, Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime series normal people like. So let's get funding from Adult Swim and do the complete opposite and scare them away while catering to otkau. Makes sense.

You have literally 0 clue what you are talking about.

Maybe, Watanabe wanted to make those scenes because he thought it was funny...

But no, screw that and everyone else that thought that those scenes were funny,m it was clearly just there to put hot women on so they could sell body pillows!

Jarate

Banned
Not "powered by fanservice", but that the content of the first half of the show was "overpowered" by it. Constant references to boobies and ass will do that.

Is it fanservice now to talk about boobs and ass?

Maybe he thought that it was going to be funny. I found the opening monologue hilarious. And I thought most of the jokes in the beginning half were very funny too.

sonicmj1

I just wanna know why you think this "fanservice" is bad?

They are at a hooters knockoff, and the main characters is a perv. It's not like it was tacked on for the "fans" sake, this is the part of the story, and a part of the universe.

If showing half naked women on TV was fanservice then so many shows would fall under that, including a ton of western shows.

Look, I don't think the show is "powered by fanservice" or anything, and the first half was fairly tame as far as that stuff goes. But it's not some weird accident that the story just happens to be about a guy who loves the ladies going to places where he thinks he can score. They didn't have to make it that way. But they did.

Really, the first half could have been just as indulgent as it was in the same setting if the writing and direction were better, and it wouldn't have been so grating. If they hadn't given themselves over so much to emphasizing the sex in the voiceover and stuff, a lot of that could have spoken for itself in the direction while interesting things went on. Instead, all the boring stuff was lousy with fanservice, which just made it seem even worse.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Next up, Jarate defends the merits of Strike Witches. "So the little girl pilots don't wear any pants! How does that make it creepy? It's a world where pants don't exist!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom