• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

He also wrote the recap episode of Champloo, and the final four episodes (the lead writer Ohara co-wrote 24-25 though). I think that Watanabe obviously enjoys writing whimsical stuff the best, and stuff which shows his sillier side. It could be good for something in between a series, but yeah, I don't think it was a good idea for him to lead off on the series. The baseball episode in Champloo is still the best thing he has written so far, especially compared to the conclusion of the series. Lol.

Wait, he wrote Evanescent Encounter? Hype + 1000, I loved those episodes.

(Baseball episode was awesome too, but I was already expecting that kind of stuff from Dandy)

ckohler

I have the Japanese Ending song stuck in my head. I've probably watched that on YouTube 20 times now. Such a great song and cool visuals.

Mature

From ToonamiGAF:
wT8CJte.png

I'm certain we'll see it, haha.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I absolutely loved the first episode. Truly hilarious, and it gave me the 70's space opera vibe I was hoping for. I also loved the gag with his shitty old transporter.

Also, Space Dandy has a remarkable resemblance (hair and all) to a real life Japanese friend of mine who owns a restaurant in Hyogo.

Seda

Finally saw the first episode

-I'm okay with Dandy's dub voice, it's appropriately campy. And the delivery is kind of Zapp Brannigan-esqe, but the dialogue is not as clever/witty.
-I don't care for QT's dub autotune voice much. Especially when he 'screams'.
-The humor in the first part...well, it wasn't cringeworthy but it wasn't very funny. Doesn't bother me much though. While on the slow side, the first part set up the basic character traits of Dandy, QT, and Meow, so I can deal with it.
-As for 'fanservice', there was barely anything. And I've certainly shown my disdain for it in the past. At least what was there fit the chosen setting.
-The chase scene was delightfully zany and wacky and silly. I'd like more of that, but don't want to have the entire run saturated with too much.
-Animation is stellar

FourMyle

I absolutely loved the first episode. Truly hilarious, and it gave me the 70's space opera vibe I was hoping for. I also loved the gag with his shitty old transporter.

They really did a great job of setting the tone with the first episode. The chase scene in particular was fucking amazing. Bebop had tons of them and this one was just as good as those. It actually reminded me of the hilarious chase scene in Bebop's "Stray Dog Strut" with Abdul Hakim, the scientists and all the dogs. I can't wait to see what other over the top chase scenes they come up with.

Eknots

About to watch first episode, sub or dub? I haven't watched bebop but I heard the dubs were pretty alright so wondering if I should give them a shot. Might as well ask if bebop is worth watching subbed or dubbed too

Levyne

Banned
Try out both, see what you like.

Dub via adult swims site (need cable company login), sub at funimation.

Bebob I would say dub.

About to watch first episode, sub or dub? I haven't watched bebop but I heard the dubs were pretty alright so wondering if I should give them a shot. Might as well ask if bebop is worth watching subbed or dubbed too

Can't go wrong with either, pick what you prefer.

Mature

There some very minor niggling issues with the localization (that could end up being nothing), but both are serviceable. So pick what you prefer.

It seems liek the show was made understanding that it'd be something people in the states would want to watch too, so the dubs are alright.

So whichever works for you.

Daft_Cat

First episode was nuts. Everything Watanabe does is totally different, yet there's this under current of style that runs through all of his shows.

I think it has to do with how he uses music...from the jazz in Bebop and Kids on the Slope, to the hip hop in Champloo, all the way to the funk in Space Dandy...the way the music and the animation intertwine is Watanabe's stylistic signature.

I feel pretty confident in the way things are going. Can't wait for next week's episode.

I don't feel like the humor works that well for me. It might just be me, but I don't feel that it's Watanabe's strong suit and he's much better sprinkling it throughout a more serious show the way it was in Champloo rather than front and center like this.

Astral

I liked the first episode a lot better than this one. That final sequence was just incredible. Scarlet's fight was great though.

Drago

This episode was amazing. The wormhole animation was incredible! Whole episode made me laugh a lot as well.

I'm really loving this show :D

Seda

This show is certainly wacky and silly. Even if not all the jokes hit for me, I'm enjoying it generally. I'm liking this relationship between Dandy and Meow haha. Nothing in the second episode topped the first episode's chase though.

Jigolo

Got into a slightly serious tone in the end there with the chef. I can't wait to see more, I'm loving the show

B.K.

I forgot tonight's episode. I never have Adult Swim on at 11:30 on Saturday nights, so it was easy for me to forget. I don't know if I want to stay up to 2:30 for the west coast showing or not.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Despite being generally well-animated - I honestly didn't find the second episode to be that entertaining. A bit of a disappointment for me really, but I loved the ramen action scene.

Rpgmonkey

Episode 2 was a lot better than the first one. I found it easier to follow while still retaining the show's style of humor.

So is Dandy actually clueless or is hiding something? Those moves when he was trying to get into the Ramen dimension were slick as fuck.

Squire

Banned
This really was like Mushroom Samba except with Ramen and twitter

A poor man's version, yeah.

It's just not that funny. I feel like it's just another show that's part of this new post-TTGL era. You want to be TTGL, but you can't be. *shrug*

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hoping the show doesn't stop with the craziness, please don't become serious please. Keep the silly shit coming Watanabe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I love Dandy's English voice. I don't think I can ever watch this show in JPN.

I thought the humor this episode was way better than the last one. Less crazy action scenes, sure, but it was generally much easier to follow. The ramen fight scene was amazing. Animation still is top notch. Music is still awesome. Love this show.

Moaradin

The main cast is great in English. Meow was especially funny this episode. I think overall the jokes are better in English as well.

Timo

Have not seen the first episode, but I just caught the second one. The animation on this is insane. Way wackier than expected though. Was hoping for more of a cowboy bebop vibe. I'll watch some more of it though I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom