• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite things about animation is how it can shift and showcase all sorts of artistic techniques and styles from one moment to the next. A lot of my favorite shows do this intentionally, notably Masaaki Yuasa's work.

So far I am absolutely adoring the art in this show. Really fun stuff.

duckroll

I look at it this way, did you see the supposed wonkiness in the Scarlett fight before you freeze-framed?

You probably didn't, because those frames weren't intended to be seen statically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbetweening

No animation frames are meant to be seen statically. Smears and deformation have nothing to do with inbetweening though. They're part and parcel of the key animation design. Inbetweening simply fills the frames between key frames to make motion look more smooth. The actual form the motion takes is dictated by the key frames, including stuff like that.

dan2026

No animation frames are meant to be seen statically. Smears and deformation have nothing to do with inbetweening though. They're part and parcel of the key animation design. Inbetweening simply fills the frames between key frames to make motion look more smooth. The actual form the motion takes is dictated by the key frames, including stuff like that.

I get you.

I know what I mean (sort of) but I don't know enough about animation to articulate myself well enough.

duckroll

Yeah I don't want to get too much into the process of talking about how it's made technically either, what's more important is how it looks.

The sort of loose character animation we see in ep2 looks great when done well. The scenes of Dandy shifting around in a blur, Scarlet's moves deforming her limbs because she's too quick, it's really nice visually.

I'm not a huge fan of that particular action scene in ep4 with the moving CG background though. The reason I think it looks bad to many people is because it just looked confusing and the camera and choreography just wasn't there. The attempt was creative, but the end result just didn't flow that well.

Like with most things in Space Dandy, when you try a lot of different stuff, not everything is going to work for everyone. Not a bad thing though, especially when it encourages more creativity and variety.

TheRancor

The art detail in the character animation has also taken a nose dive. The sequence with the mercenaries in the hospital was especially offensive. It was apparent in episode 2 and 3 as well. Guess the budget is close to being stretched out at this point.
This is just embarrassing to read.

Yonafunu

I'm not a huge fan of that particular action scene in ep4 with the moving CG background though. The reason I think it looks bad to many people is because it just looked confusing and the camera and choreography just wasn't there. The attempt was creative, but the end result just didn't flow that well.

Like with most things in Space Dandy, when you try a lot of different stuff, not everything is going to work for everyone. Not a bad thing though, especially when it encourages more creativity and variety.

I actually really liked the scene in ep4, it was more interesting than the fight scenes we've seen so far imo (except ep1 of course). The fight scene in ep2 was cool, but very conventional, in both animation and camera. The robot scene in ep3 was awesome as well, but it's Yutaka Nakamura, so you know what to expect, again, in both camera and choreography. The mercenary scene in ep4 surprised me, as probably the first action scene in the series (again, barring the chase in ep1).
That said, ep5 looks very very good from the preview.

TheRancor

The robot scene in ep3 was awesome as well, but it's Yutaka Nakamura, so you know what to expect, again, in both camera and choreography.
Yutapon wasn't anywhere on the episode 3 credits though
3lfS03c.jpg

You sure you aren't talking about his work on Episode 1?

5ce4f8dbb86a2870593e10e415c67780.gif

26mJfrm.jpg

Yonafunu

No, I'm really talking about episode 3. Of course, if he's not in the credits I'm wrong, but parts of the robot vs Deathgerian fight looked like Yutapon to me. But apparentely they aren't, so my bad :)

I'll try to find some gifs of what I mean.

edit: Looking back, it's Takahiro Shikama, most probably. His shading style looks similair to Yutapon's so I got confused. Same thing almost happened to me with Star Driver.

Firemind

I look at it this way, did you see the supposed wonkiness in the Scarlett fight before you freeze-framed?

You probably didn't, because those frames weren't intended to be seen statically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbetweening

Yes?

Rewatch that scene in episode two again. The deformations duckroll mentioned are persistent throughout the three short fighting sequences. Look at how little art detail went into the character animation. Then they cut to her normal close-up pose. It's quite jarring. I'm not expecting super detailed facial features and correct human anatomy, but more detail like shading would have made it look much nicer. This just looks like a mess. In my opinion of course.

It's cute that you think you know what you're talking about though.

Grakl

Yes?

Rewatch that scene in episode two again. The deformations duckroll mentioned are persistent throughout the three short fighting sequences. Look at how little art detail went into the character animation. Then they cut to her normal close-up pose. It's quite jarring. I'm not expecting super detailed facial features and correct human anatomy, but more detail like shading would have made it look much nicer. This just looks like a mess. In my opinion of course.

Yeah, I guess that's what happens when the art budget only covers two or three episodes in a show. At this point we're going to get in to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream territory where everyone is an art-less blob.

Mononoke

Banned
All this arguing over off-model animation, I'd hate to see what happens here if Space Dandy pulls a Birdy s2, LOL.

I guess I'm not that picky when it comes to animation. But I've been fine with it in this show. Granted, I'm not an expert when it comes to Anime/Animation in general. So maybe if I was, I would be more critical.

Anyways, I have such a weird relationship with this show. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I think generally, I'm having a pretty good time with the characters. It's a fun monster of the week format (well, obviously since he's hunting down aliens).

I guess I'm still trying to get used to the tone, and see if it's really something that I can hold on to.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yes?

Or to pull from the most recent episode, a rather slow "action" scene where the model quality nosedives to the point where it looks like everyone is made out of smeared nickelodeon gak. Meow's face in the first sniper scope shot in particular is just bad.

ib2dnktBMag5tq.gif

You can preach to me all you want about the virtues of the art of animation but it will not change my opinion that pretty much every step of that scene is sloppily rendered. It's not tween frame animation, it's just the way it is.

Levyne

Banned
I also noticed Meow's face in the first scope shot, I just assumed it was supposed to look silly and a little abstract.

Grakl

If you can't see that I have no idea what to tell you.

I noticed it when it aired, I was already laughing at the scene but that face alone added an extra pep in my giggles.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that face is 100% intentionally drawn like that, especially because it's funny. I wasn't sure if you were seriously calling it bad.

Mononoke

Banned
You point out Meow's face looking bad there, but to me it just looks funny.

I think because the scene has them looking funny to begin with, you are thinking the weird face is a result of him being sick. I personally think it looks more rushed, than a deliberate style choice for the expression.

Reminds me of Korra Season 2 animation falling in quality with Pierrot, you would get weird shots where the faces looked strange. Granted these were in between shots and transitions. But yeah.

tumblr_mtua9jsgs91ry28t0o2_500.png

EDIT: But i agree, that Dandy's art style is supposed to be kind of sloppy/loose during certain action scene/transitions. The above example isn't really the same thing, as that was not intended at all between transitions.

Yonafunu

Just going back to the episode 2 action scene lacking character art detail, look up Takashi Mukouda, the animator. You'll see a lot of action scene's with a similar lack of character detail. That's his style.
Now, I'm not saying you should like it. It's just that, as duckroll said, Watanabe seems to be giving the animators a lot of freedom with this series, and this will result in different styles of animation coming together in episodes.
Not everything you dislike is rushed or downgraded because of budget or something, a lot of it is stylistic choices/differences.

Regarding the latest episode and the gif posted above, that's definitely a stylistic choice. All the zombies are generally designed to look droopy, and that's what Meow's design seems to be conforming to. Just compare it with other scenes depicting zombies:

ib2dnktBMag5tq.gif

1e603b61201fc19aba60fefc73f4cb18.gif

ca6954f9cdb755b0d445c2c064c714d9.gif

Mononoke

Banned
Just going back to the episode 2 action scene lacking character art detail, look up Takashi Mukouda. You'll see a lot of action scene's with a similar lack of character detail. That's his style.
Now, I'm not saying you should like it. It's just that, as duckroll said, Watanabe seems to be giving the animators a lot of freedom with this series, and this will result in different styles of animation coming together in episodes.
Not everything you dislike is rushed or downgraded because of budget or something, a lot of it is stylistic choices/differences.

Regarding the latest episode and the gif posted above, that's definitely a stylistic choice. All the zombies are generally designed to look droopy, and that's what Meow's design seems to be conforming to. Just compare it with other scenes depicting zombies:

ib2dnktBMag5tq.gif

I have to say I do agree with this. I mean ultimately, I like the overall style of the show. Like when it's in motion it doesn't really bug me.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yeah I think I should specify that I don't hate the way Space Dandy looks at all and the few times it has gotten to a style I found unattractive it was over quickly enough where it didn't detract for me. There are those spots though.

dan2026

I've had no arguments with the art or the animation so far.

It is fluid and exaggerated. But it's clearly intentionally so.

ZoddGutts

Didn't find the latest ep all that funny. Don't remember laughing even once. Maybe it's because I've watched Rick and Morty before hand, they did had a similar concept in the latest ep with the world being
converted to mutants beyond repair
which was actually funny and had a surprisingly profound ending. The comedy in this series continues to feel off.

Just going back to the episode 2 action scene lacking character art detail, look up Takashi Mukouda, the animator. You'll see a lot of action scene's with a similar lack of character detail. That's his style.

ib2dnktBMag5tq.gif

Yep. This was all intentional and part of the reason I like the show.

Sinople

The 4th episode was... okay. It was good but it's my least favorite for now.
The action scenes in the first half were underwhelming and the second part dragged a bit too much.
What I like about the show in general though is how every episode takes some unpredictable turns and how different they are from each others. That means there will be some "misses" sometimes but I hope it stays like this.

Cwarrior

Episode 4(dub)

Best episode so far,the first half was alright going the route of what you expect from a zombie episode but seeing the crews living life as zombie's and dealing with it was great & interesting to see in the second half.

4 > 2 > 1= 3(can't make my mind up on which episode was worse, first half ep1 was like being thrown into a pool of highly corrosive acid while it second half was much better and ep 3 was mediocre all round.)

Acrylic7

Man this show isn't doing a thing for me.
So hyped because of the talent behind it but nothing is rubbing me the right way.

duckroll

Yeah, fuck Watanabe. Who does he think he is, telling me what to do? I'll draw whatever the fuck I want! 20 drawings per second, sure, why the fuck not?

But Watanabe is the one who told the animators to draw whatever they want... :p

It seems you have no idea what you're talking about either, and are trying to push your opinion on what looks good into some sort of "budget" or "detail" issue when it isn't. It's a different style, you don't have to like it, but you have to accept that other people do and it is respected as good animation.

Firemind

It's naive to think the budget has little or no influence on what you actually see on screen, but whatever. I'm pushing my agenda onto others.

duckroll

It's naive to think the budget has little or no influence on what you actually see on screen, but whatever. I'm pushing my agenda onto others.

No one is saying that. What we're saying is that what you're pointing out as a flaw is not in fact a technical flaw but a known and respected style of an animator who is well known in the industry.

Firemind

I didn't say it was technically flawed. I said the contrast between the fast moving parts and the dialogue parts were jarring to me personally and they could put some more work into it to make the contrast not so jarring. :p

This whole debate reminds me of the time when the show Samurai 7 changed its animation style for half an episode and people were up in arms about how the animation really tanked 7 episodes into the show, blaming budgetary constraints and so on, when it seemed very deliberate to me at the time, especially since it went back to normal after that. This is what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbEAvWb7aM&t=4m15s

Seems more like an animator being given free reign to express his personal style than "bad animation" due to budgetary or time constraints. Although i guess it sticks out more in that show than in Space Dandy, where the whole idea is letting the individual animators put their stamp on it.

Yonafunu

This whole debate reminds me of the time when the show Samurai 7 changed its animation style for half an episode and people were up in arms about how the animation really tanked 7 episodes into the show, blaming budgetary constraints and so on, when it seemed very deliberate to me at the time, especially since it went back to normal after that. This is what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbEAvWb7aM&t=4m15s

Seems more like an animator being given free reign to express his personal style than "bad animation" due to budgetary or time constraints. Although i guess it sticks out more in that show than in Space Dandy, where the whole idea is letting the individual animators put their stamp on it.

Wow, that is awesome. Really really cool. Searched around a bit, it looks like it's animated by Hisashi Mori, which seems right. I love that guy's style.

This also reminds me of Naruto Shippuuden episode 147, the Shingo Yamashita (among others) episode. I remember a lot of people up in arms about it, calling it ugly, low quality, etc. I loved it. It's a joy to look at, imo.

I hated the emphasis on the animation in the conclusion of Naruto's Pain Arc.

Since Naruto began, it was about an unpopular, stupid, non-talented annoying brad that even the audience dislikes, becoming a hero.
In the Manga, it's an emotional outlet when the pain fight is concluded. In the anime, it's not ideally as well realized. I was almost in tears when I read the manga. I had been reading that goddam Manga for almost a decade and then seeing the character you know as well as your own foot, get something.. it gets something out of you.

But people only went on about Naruto's animation style, which is.. I mean, the Naruto anime is all over the place when it comes to animation styles. It's not a very cohesive show in that sense.

The best Naruto fight in the anime is still Sasuke X Naruto 1

tumblr_m13t7iqMee1r45uh9o1_500.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
On a different note, I've been listening to Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro all day after flicking through the artists involved in the soundtrack and god damn this shit is so goooooooooooooooood

Mature

Speaking of music, a friend just tipped me off that there's a sample of Junk Fujiyama's insert song for episode 6 of Space Dandy on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HPTXFTW/

The song is Stardust Pipeline.

https://twitter.com/junkfujiyama/status/425605863147982848

According to Fujiyama the song was written specifically for Space Dandy, and he composed it imagining the main character surfing in the universe.
Well, we've seen that before at about :47 in this promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom