• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well, we've seen that before at about :47 in this promo.

Yes, episode 6 is Michio Mihara's episode. He wrote the base story (Dai Sato wrote the actual screenplay), he's directing and storyboarding the episode, and he animated almost the entire episode himself.

uhADtC7.gif

Mature

Yes, episode 6 is Michio Mihara's episode. He wrote the base story (Dai Sato wrote the actual screenplay), he's directing and storyboarding the episode, and he animated almost the entire episode himself.

uhADtC7.gif
Jeez, no kidding? Well that'll be an interesting one.

Gazoinks

I wonder if Space Dandy will start getting a bit serious over these next few episodes.

Next episode looks serious, but I doubt it's a general shift in tone. They're probably just going to pepper the comedy with more serious episodes, like the inverse of Bebop.

Grakl

Unless it's pulling some Level-E trollery then next episode will be serious.

Yah, saw the preview.

Next episode looks serious, but I doubt it's a general shift in tone. They're probably just going to pepper the comedy with more serious episodes, like the inverse of Bebop.

That would make sense, and works for me. So far it's been good, but no where near Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo levels. Need a little bit of seriousness!

Staab

Quite disappointed by Space Dandy, I was expecting a lot more.
It has a couple of funny moments but overall it's fairly poor :(

Grakl

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/1e603b61201fc19aba60fefc73f4cb18.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/docdre/Gifs/residentevil3shootinggif_zpsf3708718.gif[IMG]

The first half was practically Day of the Dead while the later half "regressed" into Dawn of the Dead.[/QUOTE]
The ending cutting to a screen saying [spoiler]Directed by George Romero[/spoiler] was the most hilarious shit to me.

Space Dandy 5

A neat little episode, if a bit predictable.

In next weeks preview, you can seen that they changed a few scenes from the fall teaser by adding quite a bit of post processing here and there.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What an episode, man.

Totally different than everything else we've seen so far. I've been down with the goofier aspects so far but I certainly would not mind more feels trips like that.

Space Dandy - Episode 5

Great episode! Not as good as the zombie episode, but still pretty decent. This episode kinda reminded me of the ramen episode, but less comical.

If there's one thing I'm liking about Space Dandy so far. Is that all the aliens they meet are nicely designed, or have an interesting power.

Loved the episode, even if it was a little cliche. The universe, art, and music in space dandy is just too amazing for me to hate the show.

Also, why does everyone post in the toonami thread when the episode is airing and not here? Is there some rules I'm missing out on?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Loved the episode, even if it was a little cliche. The universe, art, and music in space dandy is just too amazing for me to hate the show.

Also, why does everyone post in the toonami thread when the episode is airing and not here? Is there some rules I'm missing out on?

Because it's premiering on Toonami and that's the Toonami watch thread

Gartooth

I love this show and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Episode 5 was a very nice change of pace and allowed us to see another side of Dandy by keeping the typical hijinks out. Hopefully there are more of these in the future that deal with other members of the cast as well. Each week there is something different to look forward to and I think every episode has been great so far, although I agree with the nitpicks about the first half of episode 1 being too reliant on boobies jokes, and episode 3 being a bit lacking in some regards. (I still felt it was solid in the end however)

B.K.

first time watching space dandy and i liked it , had a really good set of characters and the story was good.

will watch next week

Don't go into the series expecting episodes like this every week. This was the first 'normal' episode the series has had. The other episodes have been nothing like this one.

Dresden

Episode 5 was pretty good. Not enough time in the episode to develop anything and it's a little too sappy, but it's a nice break from the usual silliness and having a reminder every now and then that Dandy isn't just a blustery asshole all the time doesn't hurt.

Seda

Some good music and animation, but it was a bit generic. I did like that we saw a little bit of a different side to Dandy.

Shergal

Ep 5 was probably the best episode yet. It's not mindblowing but it does most things right and it comes at a perfect point in the run.

Next week though, looks like it's gonna be amazing.

duckroll

Loved the episode. Akemi's signature was definitely all over the episode. I think this episode really reinforces how the show doesn't need to rely on cheap jokes about how incompetent Dandy can be to show off his "dandy" nature. It seems to play off his character much better when the show focuses on his carefree mentality, his attempts to play up the tough guy perception, while also having insane determination when he actually cares about something. Really liked the character art and backgrounds this week too.

The show is finally starting to pay off in terms of being the show it is - a different type of show every week, showcasing the style and preferences of different directors. :)

TheRancor

Great episode, does what it sets out do quite nicely with great art/backgrounds and good use of music. Nice to see a change of tone, good use of rotating directors putting their own stamp on the show. Also has an Ichiro Okouchi screenplay that's not like his recent output(Valvrave). Apparently this was a MAPPA episode too.

The almost solo(kinda) episode by Michio Mihara next week looks promising.

Mature

Episode 5 was pretty good. Not enough time in the episode to develop anything and it's a little too sappy, but it's a nice break from the usual silliness and having a reminder every now and then that Dandy isn't just a blustery asshole all the time doesn't hurt.
Pretty much how I felt. The show needed an episode like this, but it wasn't my favorite.

JCG

Space Dandy - 5

I don't know about you guys, but I really liked both the concept of the episode and the interactions between Dandy and the girl, plus a couple of the throwaway gags. The actual story was standard stuff, yes, but it didn't bother me in the least. I wasn't expecting a lot of laughter nor a sudden shift for the deadly tragic, so a bit of lighthearted drama with a lot of good feeling is enough.

dan2026

Wow what a great episode. Great insert song, great music, fun story.
Dandy just gets better and better.

Out of interest, did Funi dub the insert song?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Good ep, but I didn't get it why the kid suddenly went angry after Dandy asks him about what she wants.

Defuser

Good ep, but I didn't get it why the kid suddenly went angry after Dandy asks him about what she wants.

She thought Dandy wants to get rid of her without any absolute idea that he is bringing her to her grandpa instead. Hence she misunderstood that Dandy is buying a departure gift before he get rid of her.

Gartooth

When Dandy asked her if she wanted a souvenir, she thought that Dandy was just dropping her off for someone else to take her to the registration center, implying that he didn't care about her.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Liked this episode, when he mentioned going to Boobies I was pretty sure he was going there. Took me by surprise this new side of Dandy. Good stuff. Art was amazing.

1e603b61201fc19aba60fefc73f4cb18.gif

residentevil3shootinggif_zpsf3708718.gif

The first half was practically Day of the Dead while the later half "regressed" into Dawn of the Dead.
If you're talking about the episode, I felt the opposite. Day of the Dead wasn't really about killing the zombies, but trying to study and analyze the behaviors of zombies in contrast with the degenerating civility of humans amidst a crisis. Definitely the most "social commentary" of the original trio. Dawn of the Dead was much more action-packed, as was the first half of that episode.

Unless of course you mean in terms of tone. In that case it did feel more like Day->Dawn.

Anyhow, missed out on the ep last night, but I'll watch it on On Demand. I hope it lives up to the zombie one, subject matter notwithstanding.

Episode was great. And damn at that Moebius halftime art. SO GOOD. How can you hate that show if it shows art inspired by Moebius? Thatn being said, I wish it will start to get a overarching arc and not some isolated episode.

Owari

I wonder why so many people hate on Space Dandy? It's not Cowboy Bebop but it never claimed to be. It's definitely a whole lot more American than most anime, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The show is funny , and well written. I think people just like to hate on the cool new thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's dull. Jokes are flat. No plot to speak of so nothing to look forward to week to week. One-dimensional characters that never get developed. Only thing it has going for is its animation but even the greatest animation can't salvage a boring subject.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
She thought Dandy wants to get rid of her without any absolute idea that he is bringing her to her grandpa instead. Hence she misunderstood that Dandy is buying a departure gift before he get rid of her.
When Dandy asked her if she wanted a souvenir, she thought that Dandy was just dropping her off for someone else to take her to the registration center, implying that he didn't care about her.

Ahh now I see

Moaradin

It's dull. Jokes are flat. No plot to speak of so nothing to look forward to week to week. One-dimensional characters that never get developed. Only thing it has going for is its animation but even the greatest animation can't salvage a boring subject.

could not agree with any of that.

isual

a lot of the people here who have voiced criticism about the show may have not seen a lot of anime purportedly.

when i watched the first episode I was already taken aback by how it ended; then I reminisced of how it was somewhat similar to samurai champloo (the artstyle not the story since SC revolved around the girl on a quest to find out who killed her father).

Anyways, my expectations for this show are that it'll be like this for an episode or two or so, and then it'll have a mini story arc which will be an episode, 2 or 3 at most.

Really like how this show is going. The music in the middle of epi. 5 was decent; they needed that melodrama effect to show the relationship between the alday and dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom