• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Loudmouthed pervert with a soft spot for kids/sob stories WOW I'M FLOORED BY THIS DEEP AND COMPELLING CHARACTER.

Watching Space Dandy brings to mind Outlaw Star. Better cast. Better humor. Better characters. Better art design. For two semi-comedic shows about an unlikely band of bounty hunters living paycheck to paycheck they aren't even in the same dimension in terms of quality.

I think that's my biggest problem with Space Dandy.

It's just a significantly worse Outlaw Star. You could remove all the plot related drama and continuity from Outlaw Star leaving behind the antics and nothing else... and it would still be better than Space Dandy in every way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thinking I'm coming around the series now. #4 was fantastic.. and I just finished watching #5 and enjoyed it quite a bit too. It was also a nice change of pace from the previous episodes as well.

Evilisk

that felt like an unused end subplot. especially the no kids policy.

You mean the girl not joining? I agree.

Actually, the picture with all of the characters flying (this one) makes me think that if the parallel universes theory is true, maybe we might see all of them in action at one point in the show or something.

My personal thoughts on the episode: it wasn't anything that hasn't been done before but I think it was done sufficiently well enough. It was definitely a nice change of pace and it just made my realize that I haven't really liked Meow in any episodes past episode 1.

Loudmouthed pervert with a soft spot for kids/sob stories WOW I'M FLOORED BY THIS DEEP AND COMPELLING CHARACTER.

Watching Space Dandy brings to mind Outlaw Star. Better cast. Better humor. Better characters. Better art design. For two semi-comedic shows about an unlikely band of bounty hunters living paycheck to paycheck they aren't even in the same dimension in terms of quality.

It's just a significantly worse Outlaw Star. You could remove all the plot related drama and continuity from Outlaw Star leaving behind the antics and nothing else... and it would still be better than Space Dandy in every way.

It's dull. Jokes are flat. No plot to speak of so nothing to look forward to week to week. One-dimensional characters that never get developed. Only thing it has going for is its animation but even the greatest animation can't salvage a boring subject.

Well aren't you a veritable ray of sunshine.

Space Dandy doesn't have the God awful Melfina so it wins on that alone.

Otherwise, yeah, not the most original plot ever. Still a lot of fun (and feels to be had) I'm one of those guys who went in expecting something like Bebop and felt kinda disappointed it wasn't. Feels a lot closer to that in this episode. I'd say it was between this and the previous episode where things really clicked for me.

Voice acting is stellar too.

SD-Ness

I'm finding the show rather fun and enjoyable. I really think, by the end, a lot of people are going to change their minds and say they enjoyed it. It's just taking time to get going.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think the warp drive "multiverse" thing will make this show a lot more beloved once its plainly established as the reason for all the one off episodes.

ZoddGutts

i would have said American comedy cartoons.

Rick and Morty kills me with laughter (sans pilot ep), at most Dandy will give a me a small chuckle and that's been rare so far in this series.

Yeah, been having problems with the characters in Dandy, not liking any of them. Their mostly selfish assholes and not the likeable kind. Now that I think about it, Dandy is like Lupin they both think about money and boobs, big difference is that Lupin is a loveable asshole and more than a one note joke character.

Mature

Rick and Morty kills me with laughter (sans pilot ep), at most Dandy will give a me a small chuckle and that's been rare so far in this series.
I adore both shows for completely separate reasons. R&M's writing is impeccable, where I think Space Dandy derives it's best comedy from sight gags (though episode 4's writing and premise was amazing).

RPGCrazied

I think this was the worst episode so far. Kinda nice seeing another side to Dandy though, but I didn't laugh as much as the other episodes.

Wonderful episode. So close after Space Ramen I didn't expect a rather grounded story that dealt with Dandy and an Alien girl on a road trip in a place that looked very much like earth.

Also, lol Broncos.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kanahana in Space Dandy.
This episode is very different when compared to other. I say it's nice break from all that insane stuff shown in previous episode.

This was my favourite episode of the show by far. Whilst similar things have been done before and Dandy's motivation could be seen as a trope it was something that the character desperately needed, on top of that I thought it was executed really well.

If anything the only disappointment for me was that the girl didn't end up on the crew.

Grakl

This was probably the worst episode so far - having to hear the insert song was terrible, and two sections without dialog was odd. The art was great, and the chase scene hilarious, though. This was supposed to be a 'serious' episode but it fell flat for me, even though I was rooting for it.

List that people like to make:
2 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 5

I also have no idea why people dont understand that there are multiple universes in this show when it's been very explicitly shown a couple times now.

Dresden

It's dull. Jokes are flat. No plot to speak of so nothing to look forward to week to week. One-dimensional characters that never get developed. Only thing it has going for is its animation but even the greatest animation can't salvage a boring subject.

It's basically a collection of short films. Some hit the mark, some don't, and for me the prospect of seeing different creators get their shot in is enough to look forward to.

Was lukewarm overall about the first three episodes, liked ep4, and 5 was alright. In the next few episodes I'm sure I'll like a few and dislike the rest, and the show moves on.

Dandy is for sure the most controversial in terms of quality show, SAO was mostly hate mixed in with some "it's not that bad... okay that was bad" posts

Levyne

Banned
It's interesting to see so much fumbling about on the lack of continuity, even having to lean on the multi verse foundation to compartmentalize things. I don't even think that sort of explanation is even required or should be. Just let the show do what it wants each episode.

I'm not saying they aren't going to lean back on that idea themselves, because who knows, and I'm not saying people should enjoy a show more or less because it does or doesn't have continuity. Just when people ask "how are they not zombies anymore" I think the response should be "no explanation needed" rather than "multiverses, duh."

And I wouldn't say the show is shit because some portion of posters haven't taken to it. Hell, this thread is the farthest thing from consensus. Each episode has such different reactions from different posters that I am interested in seeing the impressions every week. Seeing some love one episode and have distaste for another will be too common. The short films comparison I think is pretty apt.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's interesting to see so much fumbling about on the lack of continuity, even having to lean on the multi verse foundation to compartmentalize things. I don't even think that sort of explanation is even required or should be. Just let the show do what it wants each episode.

I'm not saying they aren't going to lean back on that idea themselves, because who knows, and I'm not saying people should enjoy a show more or less because it does or doesn't have continuity. Just when people ask "how are they not zombies anymore" I think the response should be "no explanation needed" rather than "multiverses, duh."

And I wouldn't say the show is shit because some portion of posters haven't taken to it. Hell, this thread is the farthest thing from consensus. Each episode has such different reactions from different posters that I am interested in seeing the impressions every week. Seeing some love one episode and have distaste for another will be too common. The short films comparison I think is pretty apt.

Levyne sadi it better than I ever could.

Mature

The posts in this thread. I only watched the first 2. Kind of reminds me of Cobra and Gintama. It was just embarrassingly bad that I dropped it.
Not sure what thread you're reading then. Here's some posts just about episode 5:

I'm finding the show rather fun and enjoyable. I really think, by the end, a lot of people are going to change their minds and say they enjoyed it. It's just taking time to get going.

Thinking I'm coming around the series now. #4 was fantastic.. and I just finished watching #5 and enjoyed it quite a bit too. It was also a nice change of pace from the previous episodes as well.

good episode. the art, music and voice acting was all top notch. Was nice to see that side of dandy.

What an episode, man.

Totally different than everything else we've seen so far. I've been down with the goofier aspects so far but I certainly would not mind more feels trips like that.

Episode 5 is my favorite ep. so far. Really nice seeing that side of Dandy. It reminded me of Michiko to Hachin a bit.

Space Dandy - Episode 5

Great episode! Not as good as the zombie episode, but still pretty decent. This episode kinda reminded me of the ramen episode, but less comical.

If there's one thing I'm liking about Space Dandy so far. Is that all the aliens they meet are nicely designed, or have an interesting power.

Loved the episode, even if it was a little cliche. The universe, art, and music in space dandy is just too amazing for me to hate the show.

Also, why does everyone post in the toonami thread when the episode is airing and not here? Is there some rules I'm missing out on?

I really liked episode 5, it was a nice departure from the craziness.

Episode 5 was pretty good. Not enough time in the episode to develop anything and it's a little too sappy, but it's a nice break from the usual silliness and having a reminder every now and then that Dandy isn't just a blustery asshole all the time doesn't hurt.

Ep 5 was probably the best episode yet. It's not mindblowing but it does most things right and it comes at a perfect point in the run.

Next week though, looks like it's gonna be amazing.

Great episode, does what it sets out do quite nicely with great art/backgrounds and good use of music. Nice to see a change of tone, good use of rotating directors putting their own stamp on the show. Also has an Ichiro Okouchi screenplay that's not like his recent output(Valvrave). Apparently this was a MAPPA episode too.

The almost solo(kinda) episode by Michio Mihara next week looks promising.

Space Dandy - 5

I don't know about you guys, but I really liked both the concept of the episode and the interactions between Dandy and the girl, plus a couple of the throwaway gags. The actual story was standard stuff, yes, but it didn't bother me in the least. I wasn't expecting a lot of laughter nor a sudden shift for the deadly tragic, so a bit of lighthearted drama with a lot of good feeling is enough.

Wow what a great episode. Great insert song, great music, fun story.
Dandy just gets better and better.

Out of interest, did Funi dub the insert song?

Quite a sweet episode.

Liked this episode, when he mentioned going to Boobies I was pretty sure he was going there. Took me by surprise this new side of Dandy. Good stuff. Art was amazing.

Evilisk

The posts in this thread. I only watched the first 2. Kind of reminds me of Cobra and Gintama. It was just embarrassingly bad that I dropped it.

Gintama's first 2 episodes are filler

If you're really judging the show from just the first two episodes, you're really missing out. Admittedly it takes about 20ish episodes for the show to stop establishing the characters, setting and dynamics but Gintama doesn't really start until then. I know it's asking a lot to watch that many episodes but I honestly don't believe anyone could form a proper opinion of the show until they've hit that point. There's just a such ridiculous difference in quality between the first few episodes of the show to the rest of the series.

Ratrat

Not sure what thread you're reading then. Here's some posts just about episode 5:
You're right. I just skimmed the most recent page. I was hoping the first few episodes were a bad joke and it would find its footing.
Gintama's first 2 episodes are filler

If you're really judging the show from just the first two episodes, you're really missing out. Admittedly it takes about 20ish episodes for the show to stop establishing the characters, setting and dynamics but Gintama doesn't really start until then. I know it's asking a lot to watch that many episodes but I honestly don't believe anyone could form a proper opinion of the show until they've hit that point. There's just a such ridiculous difference in quality between the first few episodes of the show to the rest of the series.
I liked Gintama from episode 1! My problem with Space Dandy includes the characters and quality of voice acting, humor etc... Just seems really inferior from all it's inspirations. Eh, I'll keep watching then.

NotLiquid

Bit disappointed that the new episode declined this series of a new regular for the main cast as it would've been cool to bring in another more "human" cast member, but I suppose it might have been predictable by the way they played out the whole "they'll really come around to enjoying their company" angle and that overall they're more of a ragtag group.

Great episode all the same, missed out on it when it first aired and decided to catch up on it recently. Been enjoying my time with this anime quite a bit.

Here's what I wrote about the latest episode in the toonami thread:

I disliked this episode of Dandy, it didn't really 'fit' to me. The show pulled a 180 and tried to go into serious mode while keeping the cringe worthy, unfunny boob jokes intact. I don't get why people talk about 'feels' (I'm starting to hate that term btw) in this episode, I had absolutely no emotional attachment to this little girl Dandy was forced to help out. We got the classic 'GROWN UPS R BAKAS' speech and from then on I knew exactly where this was going, the writing was extremely predictable. The ending action sequence was cool but nearly ruined for me when Dandy basically told loli girl he'd fuck her brains out when she turned 18. I actually face palmed when she was all like 'I'll grow boobies and a nice butt so we can go on more adventures' at the end, it was pretty bad. Now obviously she didn't say those words exactly but it was implied.

The music was excellent as always and I really enjoyed the art direction. However, I feel like this episode should have been a two parter, I didn't have enough time to get invested in the little girl which soured the whole experience for me. This was probably my least liked episode of Dandy yet, hopefully next week is better, it looks promising.

JCG

Different strokes for different folks.

I think you're reading a little too much into both of their responses. But more importantly, there's nothing inherently bad about predictability. It was expected that Dandy would still have the same general mindset of talking out of his ass and going after Boobies (in either sense) because that's already an established part of his character. That's the sort of dude we're dealing with. The episode showed he has a little bit of potential for kindness to him, true, but in the end he's still going to be the same person when he goes out and does something else next week. The format almost requires him to be. That's also the reason why I think they'll try to avoid any two-parters, with maybe one or two exceptions at most.

Yeah, I can't say I detected any lewd undertones to the goodbye in episode 5. It seemed like that was actually the Dandy front for what was really being said, rather than a condition to be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom