• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can't say I detected any lewd undertones to the goodbye in episode 5. It seemed like that was actually the Dandy front for what was really being said, rather than a condition to be met.
What 'Dandy front' are you referring to? He's been characterized as nothing more than a bumbling idiot who is obsessed with the female anatomy up until this past episode. It's not a front, that's who he is.

Throughout the episode he made references to 'boobies' and butts in front of the girl, what makes you think he was kidding? The whole 'Im gonna grow big boobies and a nice butt so I can go on more adventures with Dandy' bit at the end was cringeworthy to me and ruined what otherwise would have been a nice moment.

Dresden

We see earlier in the episode (when he tells her he's going to Boobies, but ends up hunting for her grandfather instead) that it is just a front. At times.

He's trying to make light of what is otherwise an emotional moment. Felt fitting for the kind of guy he is, and the fact that it leaves him walking out of the 'serious' episode back to the levity of the normal stuff.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We see earlier in the episode (when he tells her he's going to Boobies, but ends up hunting for her grandfather instead) that it is just a front. At times.

He's trying to make light of what is otherwise an emotional moment. Felt fitting for the kind of guy he is, and the fact that it leaves him walking out of the 'serious' episode back to the levity of the normal stuff.

This.

One episode of him deciding to blow off T&A to look for a little girls grandfather does not mean that the whole 'boobies' thing is a front. In that particular moment, yes it was, but for 99% of the series he has been portrayed as nothing more than an incompetent alien hunter who objectifies women. He's been a paper thin one demensional character up until this past episode but hopefully that will start to change.

I have a hard time believing Dandy was joking when the girl asked to come and he said 'Maybe when you turn into a big chested curvy-ass woman' Maybe I'd buy it if the writers didn't have the girl say 'I'll do it, you'll see' in agreement. That just reinforced the notion that he's a pervert above all else and leaves the door open for her to come back as some sort of wish fulfillment.

Just my take on the matter, I wasn't a fan of this episode at all.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One episode of him deciding to blow off T&A to look for a little girls grandfather does not mean that the whole 'boobies' thing is a front. In that particular moment, yes it was, but for 99% of the series he has been portrayed as nothing more than an incompetent alien hunter who objectifies women. He's been a paper thin one demensional character up until this past episode but hopefully that will start to change.

I have a hard time believing Dandy was joking when the girl asked to come and he said 'Maybe when you turn into a big chested curvy-ass woman' Maybe I'd buy it if the writers didn't have the girl say 'I'll do it, you'll see' in agreement. That just reinforced the notion that he's a pervert above all else and leaves the door open for her to come back as some sort of wish fulfillment.

He's been paper thin a character because that's what the plots called for. You don't need huge depth when you're dealing with what amounts to more or less slapstick. All the other episodes have been dumb comedy bits where all Dandy needs to be is a bumbling, but lovable, loser.

But if you wanna start fleshing out Dandy, you've got to start somewhere and show the viewers there's something deeper than just the buffoon. I thought it was a great to see a side of Dandy we hadn't seen yet and I just don't see the "wish fulfillment". If anything, I see her conviction statement to grow up and find Dandy later isn't saying "I'll become a buxom beauty just for you Dandy!" but a contrast to everything she had been saying throughout the episode: "Grown ups suck! They're bad and they blame people! They look down on kids!" becomes her wanting honestly to be more mature and show Dandy that she has; I think Dandy is putting up a front and she's seeing past that and talking about maturing, and not (at least solely) in the physical sense.

That's my take away from it.

I agree about Dandy's depiction the majority of the time, but we're talking about the end of an episode that shows that he'll secretly acquiesce to sentimentality as a motivator on occasion, while maintaining his outward appearance. I read it the same way Dresden did, which didn't seem unreasonable to me given the tone of the episode.

I can appreciate that you took it differently though. With the staff on the show shifting from episode to episode, interpretation of the direction it takes does seem like something that could end up being divisive, in terms of quality and everything else.

Crocodile

Just chiming in to say that my take away from Episode 5 closely matches these posts:

He's been paper thin a character because that's what the plots called for. You don't need huge depth when you're dealing with what amounts to more or less slapstick. All the other episodes have been dumb comedy bits where all Dandy needs to be is a bumbling, but lovable, loser.

But if you wanna start fleshing out Dandy, you've got to start somewhere and show the viewers there's something deeper than just the buffoon. I thought it was a great to see a side of Dandy we hadn't seen yet and I just don't see the "wish fulfillment". If anything, I see her conviction statement to grow up and find Dandy later isn't saying "I'll become a buxom beauty just for you Dandy!" but a contrast to everything she had been saying throughout the episode: "Grown ups suck! They're bad and they blame people! They look down on kids!" becomes her wanting honestly to be more mature and show Dandy that she has; I think Dandy is putting up a front and she's seeing past that and talking about maturing, and not (at least solely) in the physical sense.

That's my take away from it.

Maybe I'm looking too deeply at that particular scene, we'll see if I have a different perspective after the show ends and I go back and watch this episode.

I just hope these upcoming episodes flesh out Dandy and Meow, I feel like they can be compelling, dynamic protagonists but are paper thin at this point. I'm also wondering when they'll expand on the intergalactic war we see in the first episode. Why does the Gogol empire want Dandy? What makes him so important to this battle?

Basically I want less boob jokes and more world building.

I almost shut this off in episode three, but I'm giving it four episodes to decide. I liked episode two a lot, but I feel like if this wasn't a Watanabe show people wouldn't be giving it the shot it's getting.

The animation is gorgeous, though, and at least enough reason not to hate it. I really like the animation. The alien designs are great and imaginative too. I'm just sick of hearing the word "boobies" over and over and over.

It does make me laugh, but every time there's a boob joke I scream "DAMN IT FUCK YOU" and want to turn it off.

The
monster in episode three was a funny way of fucking with the audience expecting fanservice, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I have a penchant for episodic shows since the episodic nature really doesn't bother me. In face I realise many shows I have watched don't really have a continuous storyline.

Really don't get the anger for the word boobies. I mean it's like throwing a hissy fit every time Homer mentions beer.

Ep 5 was the first one I was around to catch as it aired rather than dvr. I liked it as I have the others, each for different reasons given their unique, generally stand-alone nature (first and third having more eye-candy fanservice; the relatively quiet end to the ramen episode; the funny second-half of the zombie episode). This one being the typical help-the-kid scenario while trying to maintain a cool, unaffected aspect.

Not a best-of show yet, but I'm having fun with it.

Maybe I'm looking too deeply at that particular scene, we'll see if I have a different perspective after the show ends and I go back and watch this episode.

I just hope these upcoming episodes flesh out Dandy and Meow, I feel like they can be compelling, dynamic protagonists but are paper thin at this point. I'm also wondering when they'll expand on the intergalactic war we see in the first episode. Why does the Gogol empire want Dandy? What makes him so important to this battle?

Basically I want less boob jokes and more world building.

I wish I had an idea of where they're going with that. Earlier in the show I wondered when the group hunting Dandy would successfully make contact, or if the joke would be that they never do. So far it's been the latter, but I think episode 4 took that joke to its logical conclusion by having them in the same building and never meeting, even if it was a concept episode that's ignored in terms of continuity.

Grakl

I think having a character go through a multitude of different experiences in different universes is actually a really good way (if not simply an interesting way) to build that character.

My boyfriend thought that there was some creepy romance between Dandy and the girl, and that she literally meant "I'll grow up to be curvy" and stuff. I agree with other people, though, that she just meant more like she'll grow up and be as nice as Dandy is when it comes to actually helping other people. Dandy is obviously some lewd dude but that doesn't mean he can't be fatherly.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This show is currently a rollercoaster.
Ep 1: Middling.
Ep 2: Awesome.
Ep 3: Clichè.
Ep 4: Even More Awesome.
Ep 5: Even More Clichè.
I fully expect ep 6 to be awesome.

Narag

This show is currently a rollercoaster.
Ep 1: Middling.
Ep 2: Awesome.
Ep 3: Clichè.
Ep 4: Even More Awesome.
Ep 5: Even More Clichè.
I fully expect ep 6 to be awesome.

Given how divisive this is week to week, it'll be interesting to see everyone's favorite eps when its all said and done.

Gazoinks

Given how divisive this is week to week, it'll be interesting to see everyone's favorite eps when its all said and done.

Yeah, we should take an official tally or something. So far for me:
1. Meh first half awesome second
2. Pretty good
3. Weeeak
4. Great
5. Cliche, but welcome change of pace

Characters are only paper thin to viewers with little imagination. The conversations in this thread have made me realize the total surrender of any imaginative responsibility of contemporary audiences. Little spoon-feeders from stem to stern.

Characters are only paper thin to viewers with little imagination. The conversations in this thread have made me realize the total surrender of any imaginative responsibility of contemporary audiences. Little spoon-feeders from stem to stern.
No, characters are paper thin when they are poorly fleshed out. Saying the people critical of the characterization and world building thus far lack imagination, especially when you offer no productive counterpoints or examples to back up your opinion, serves absolutely no purpose here. I find your air of superiority a little off putting to be honest.

Crocodile

1. Excellent (1st half was ok but second half elevates it)
2. Excellent
3. Meh (Mech fight was sweet though)
4. One of the best episodes of anime I've seen in years. Single-handley justifies the show :)
5. Good and well-executed if cliche

Mature

1. Awesome
2. Awesome
3. Mediocre
4. Awesome
5. Good

The show is well above average for me so far. Though, honestly, the varying reactions to different episodes definitely reinforces the fact that each one is a different creative force. It only makes sense that with a smattering of methods and ideas that some are hit and some are miss.

Cwarrior

Rating for each episode

Ep1 - 3/10 -worst possible start,long boring awful & really unpleasant first half, really weak jokes,the last few minutes of random great animation was only thing to happen that wasn't boring but really didn't do anything positive story wise.

EP2 -6.5/10 -overall best animated episode so far,what's sets it apart is that it looked great mostly from start to finish,really cool visuals & designs of alien noodles,noodle alien geezer & cartoony fluid dandy & cat expressions.

Also best directed ep but it's a shame that there wasn't much to alien geezer story even if it looked good, overall the story was really thin with very little to it.

EP3 - 3.5/10

Hey it tried to tell some sort of story so it gets a 0.5 for making a half assed attempted at least even if it was cliche by the number phoned in.

ugh...had to pull the mecha card....japanese anime mechas suck!

Ep4- 7/10

The day in the life a zombie second half was the best thing to come out of space dandy so far, I know the bar is low & the first half was okay but after 3 episodes I never expected someone in the team to have a good story idea, it's like coming home and finding out for once the dog didn't shit the bed.

ep5- couldn't be bothered to make it through this episode, I think am going to take a break from space dandy for now.

What space dandy really lacks is creativity & ambition in it's story, it's been playing it really really safe so far picking out story that feel typical,played out or have very little to them, I remember watanabe saying they had enough material & ideas to last a 100 episode his either bullshitting or the materially is really weak like what has been present in the first 5 episode but that also makes it odd there's so many periods of lulls within the episode that feel really long & boring(lacking sufficient interesting or meaningful content per episode).

At this rate space dandy will turn out to be nothing more then another one of those bad to mediocre pre-hyped up anime that have very little going for them then A NAME behind it like the many before it(kill la kill,C,star driver,iroha,pant &stock,pdrum,boys on slope,tsuitma and many more).

The great visuals such as the designs and animations aren't enough to carry this show to the 24/26 episode mark, I hope they do something to change that.

I think having a character go through a multitude of different experiences in different universes is actually a really good way (if not simply an interesting way) to build that character.

My boyfriend thought that there was some creepy romance between Dandy and the girl, and that she literally meant "I'll grow up to be curvy" and stuff. I agree with other people, though, that she just meant more like she'll grow up and be as nice as Dandy is when it comes to actually helping other people. Dandy is obviously some lewd dude but that doesn't mean he can't be fatherly.

Nah, I don't think she meant she wanted to grow up to be like Dandy. I thought she meant that she wanted to grow up in order to be next to Dandy. The qualification to being with Dandy was being older, either because he couldn't spend any more time looking after a child or because he's only after girls to fuck. The time she spent with Dandy meant she developed a great relationship with him. She either sees him as a father figure, a big brother figure, or she developed a crush on him after the nice things he did.

No one knows what both really meant by their words except for the fact that she wants to be with him and he no longer wants to be with her.

My guess is that Dandy just doesn't want to look after a child 24/7 and that she developed a crush on him. The reason why I think she developed a crush on him is because I don't think she sees him as a father or a brother. If she sees him as a father or a brother, why does she want to grow up just to spend time with him on the Aloha? I doubt she would be willing to do the same if she actually had a brother and father. Wouldn't a sibling want independence, not complete separation, but some independence? Or if she saw him as an inspiration (father/brother figure) and wanted to grow up to be like him, wouldn't she have said something to that effect? Like mentioning getting her own ship, being a future alien hunter, etc...?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She wanted to grow up to marry Dandy obviously.

Like a certain other anime that will not be named.

Thanks for posting that. I haven't checked the site in a while but I will if he's updating again.

Space Dandy seems like a good candidate for his style of coverage, and it's nice to have some background on a show with such varied staff. Speaking of episode 2, it's probably still the most engaging for me. 4 seems to be the favourite of this thread, but I appreciated the concept of that more than the execution, which felt a little flat.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Episode 1 - I enjoyed it
Episode 2 - I enjoyed it
Episode 3 - I enjoyed it
Episode 4 - I enjoyed it
Episode 5 - I enjoyed it

I'm easy to please.

Also this show is already up for an award in this year's AotY for Inferno Cop-a-like of the Year.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Prediction:

Melfina's race goes from adolescence to adulthood in like 2 weeks. Melfina joins the crew as a spunky but crazy stalker chick in a few weeks. :p

Fezan

Am I the only one who liked today's episode. Loved the moment when music came in when dandy is searching for grandpa.

Defuser

Just a thought from episode 5.... apparently a carnival photo taking momento cost 500 woolongs, that kinda make the 99,000 woolongs reward that Dandy risk his life for the Deathgarian is kinda low lol.

pikablu

Episode 4 was so good. I loved their whole take on the Zombie phenom going on right now. I was laughing my ass off the entire time. That whole life insurance bit was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom