• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel91

Just a thought from episode 5.... apparently a carnival photo taking momento cost 500 woolongs, that kinda make the 99,000 woolongs reward that Dandy risk his life for the Deathgarian is kinda low lol.

It's gonna be based off the Japanese yen, so divide by 100, and you get the dollar amount.

Tuck

Really liked episode 5. It wasn't very funny aside from a few instances, but it was charming and heartfelt. And it didn't have a stupid universe-reset ending. Stories like this are what I want to see.

BBboy20

Are people still getting a Bebop vibe from this?
iiJlTkSEHFBS4.gif

For a moment.

joe2187

Banned
I dont think i like this series at all.

After Eps 4, the whole zombie thing, I dont think I can continue watching. It's just terrible all around. Why waste money animating this crap. I've tried to find some redeeming qualities to this show, so far....absolutely nothing.

It seemed like it was going for something in the ramen episode but it shits all over it's own continuity every chance it gets.

Are people still getting a Bebop vibe from this?

Depends on what you mean, but I'd say yes.

I absolutely love this show. I'm not hugely into anime, but I like my fair share of it. I get the feeling my tastes do not line up with most of anime gaf.

What exactly are people looking for in this series that the feel it lacks? I'm really curious.

After Eps 4, the whole zombie thing, I dont think I can continue watching. It's just terrible all around. Why waste money animating this crap. I've tried to find some redeeming qualities to this show, so far....absolutely nothing.

It seemed like it was going for something in the ramen episode but it shits all over it's own continuity every chance it gets.

Regarding the bolded, do you not get that this is intentional? Or do you just dislike that kind of thing?

kirblar

Have you seen the Japanese ending theme? Leaving it out of the US version seems like a major error from Funimation.

joe2187

Banned
Regarding the bolded, do you not get that this is intentional? Or do you just dislike that kind of thing?

I dont mind it that often, in some shows. But in Space dandy it just seems pointless to watch if that's all there is to it. To me it's not even funny, the whole boobies joke got tired in the first episode and Dandy's character as a whole isnt entertaining to watch, it's just kind of sad to watch.

Have you seen the Japanese ending theme? Leaving it out of the US version seems like a major error from Funimation.

I watch the full undubbed version on Hulu+

it was a rights issue. Toonami's working on getting both on TV; the opening is up on iTunes now, so that might be an indication that we could see them this week or the next.

I don't understand how anyone is still whining about continuity when the first episode had the entire cast die in an explosion and episode 2 starts like it never happened.

I don't understand how anyone is still whining about continuity when the first episode had the entire cast die in an explosion and episode 2 starts like it never happened.

Yeah I'm just having a hard time understanding what some of these people are expecting from a show called space dandy.

It's not even that I find the jokes hilarious and original. They certainly aren't, nor are they meant to be. They're meant to be quite the opposite, in fact. All the brilliance of this show is under the surface. It's like a fun, spontaneous art project. It just does what it sets out to do, and does it brilliantly.

You can just feel how much fun they are having making this thing. Ultimately, that's what does it for me.

duckroll

So the show is getting better? Is it developing a bit more of an arc or does it continue to be 100% stand alones?

There is no arc. Every episode is stand alone and showcase totally different types of stories.

Ep1 - Random dumb shit
Ep2 - Legendary alien ramen
Ep3 - Boobie monster
Ep4 - Zombies
Ep5 - Hitchhiking with an orphan girl

And so on.

The episode titles and credits for ep7-10 just popped up from this month's Japanese anime magazines, and it's definitely continuing on that track for the rest of the foreseeable future.

There is no arc. Every episode is stand alone and showcase totally different types of stories.

Ep1 - Random dumb shit
Ep3 - Boobie monster
Ep4 - Zombies

And so on.

The episode titles and credits for ep7-10 just popped up from this month's Japanese anime magazines, and it's definitely continuing on that track for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Gotcha. I was hoping that the various threads were starting to tie together, at least a little bit (like, why is he being chased etc.)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I quite like the show so far, though would agree it's hit or miss. I'm fine with the idea of Aeon Flux-style anti continuity, but that does mean each individual story has to be really engaging.

So far the script for each episode has had a few flat parts that fail to carry things. The last episode was the best so far to me though. The kind of simultaneous loving homage / vicious satire of anime tropes the creative team is aiming for is not easy to pull off.

Japanese animation is clearly known for having some of the best writing in the world! I watch anime for the BRILLIANT,WELL-CRAFTED STORIES. Why can't they give show this an impeccable japanime storyline like it deserves!?!?!? I understand that you baka gaijins like this kind of silly one-off crap (the show is obviously aimed at you americans) but I, unlike so many of you, appreciate the richness of superior quality japanese writing.

If anything I hope they go for even less continuity and more non-sequiturs.

I'd prefer the mix of continuity and one-offs that Bebop and Champloo had, but accepting that this show is what it is: the one-offs all suck comparitively. The show is not funny and tries way too hard to be. Every show can't be a home run, I guess.

The one-off episodic nature of Space Dandy was a good choice and to my preference in the late night/Adult Swim format. Works just like catching an entertaining self-contained American Dad, Futurama, Rick and Morty etc.

Koppai

To be honest the only thing I like about the show is the art style and music. The storyline is so meh :(

Was kind of bored watching.

Mature

Ep1 - Random dumb shit
Ep3 - Boobie monster
Ep4 - Zombies

And so on.

Are those credits available somewhere?

Also, anyone post this second promo for tonight's episode? Looks gorgeous.

duckroll

Sure, I can post them.

Ep7 - Racing in Space is Dangerous, Baby
Script: Kimiko Ueno
Episode Director: So Toyama
Storyboard: Goro Taniguchi
Animation Director: Eiji Nakada, Yuriko Chiba

Ep8 - It's Lonely on Planet Doggie, Baby
Script: Keiko Nobumoto
Episode Director: Hiroshi Shimizu
Storyboard: Hiroshi Shimizu
Animation Director: Hiroshi Shimizu

Ep9 - Even the Plants are Alive, Baby?
Script: Shinichiro Watanabe
Episode Director: Eunyoung Choi
Storyboard: Eunyoung Choi
Animation Director: Kiyotaka Oshiyama

Ep10 - Tomorrow is Tomorrow Again, Baby
Script: Kimiko Ueno
Episode Director: Masayuki Miyaji
Storyboard: Masayuki Miyaji
Animation Director: Seiichi Hashimoto, Hiroyuki Aoyama

Episode 7 is probably going to have a bunch of robot stuff, possibly the robot montage from the Japanese opening animation. It's storyboarded by the director of Code Geass, with the main animators from Code Geass on board as animation directors.

Episode 8 is the first new anime script written by Keiko Nobumoto in a decade. She kinda retired after Tokyo Godfathers and Wolf's Rain, but I'm glad she's back. Similar to the director of episode 6 (Mihara), Hiroshi Shimizu is another animator/director who has worked with Yuasa a number of times in the past.

Hopefully Watanabe's script for episode 9 is better than the first episode. That was dreadful. Eunyoung Choi is yet another long time collaborator with Yuasa though, so it's probably going to look pretty cool. It's pretty funny how all of Yuasa's buddies are getting their episodes released before the one he himself directed.

Episode 10 is a time loop episode by the director of Xam'd and Fuse. I think it'll be interesting to see if his direction has improved. He's very visually talented, but in his previous works I felt he has issues with developing and telling the story well. The art and animation should be really rich and Ghibli-ish in this episode though, since he brought Hashimoto back with him as the animation director. Their work together on Xam'd and Fuse is so goddamn pretty.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I didn't like it.

I mean the last two minutes were pleasant, but the rest of the episode was just entirely unfunny and pointless.

Branduil

Space Dandy 6

That may have been the dumbest and most random episode yet, but I think it was so stupid that it actually worked, LOL. Plus, that ending.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This was, imo, the weakest episode yet. Some decent physical comedy here and there and the final few minutes were A+ but I couldn't really get behind the undies vs shirts war dealio.

Space Dandy - Episode 6

It was pretty decent. Not a lot of action, and the story wasn't all that great. It was pretty funny that the aliens were fighting over wearing wither vests or underwear.

The last scene with the space boarding was pretty good. It was the best part of the episode.

Nerokis

Amusing, random, pointless, and adorable. Incredible ending that took it all to another level out of nowhere. Loved this episode.

I have to say, this show is up there among my favorite dubs, too. I've only seen the first episode dubbed, and I was impressed by how natural it felt this time around.

Seda

I wasn't fond of the premise when it was previewed, and I didn't care for the episode now. Dandy had a couple of nice quips but otherwise there wasn't much there.

The ending was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom