• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that was a rough episode. I really liked the animation in the ending sequence, but the episode's premise was just really stupid. (And not in a good way.)

It's like every week, the series seems to widen the league-gap between itself and Bebop/Champloo.

Episode kind of sucked. I enjoyed the passion Dandy had towards surfing both in his speech and the ending, but the war between the aliens just dragged on.

2>4>5>6>1>3

duckroll

Mecha Redline is going to be fun!

The Japanese preview for the episode just went up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF_NdOG77VM

The credits at the end reveal that Hiroyuki Imaishi and Fumihiro Katagai did the designs for the guest mechas in the episode. Imaishi was responsible for the concept designs. The Japanese guest stars for the episode include Chris Peppler, Yuki Kaji, Mamiko Noto, and Naoki Tatsuta. Noto is probably playing the race queen. <3

I liked the animation on this one, it seemed slightly different but in a good way.
Was actually surprised they didnt die like in the first episode.

One thing I find strange is that they are hunting for aliens that havent been registered, yet they are going to planets that the narrator or robot actually know about and have back storys..
Chasing after the girl in the one before and they knew her powers and all about their race so why would they need to be registered?
Probably looking into it way too much haha, but them getting warped to a unknown place and actually finding something unknown would be a nice change..

I liked the animation on this one, it seemed slightly different but in a good way.
Was actually surprised they didnt die like in the first episode.

One thing I find strange is that they are hunting for aliens that havent been registered, yet they are going to planets that the narrator or robot actually know about and have back storys..
Chasing after the girl in the one before and they knew her powers and all about their race so why would they need to be registered?
Probably looking into it way too much haha, but them getting warped to a unknown place and actually finding something unknown would be a nice change..

I think its in the same way that on Earth there are animals we know about but that are rare and finding/catching one leads to new scientific breakthroughs. I get the impression the alien registration is largely a human run thing where humans study and learn about aliens hence why they pay alien hunters good money. If makes sense when you think about most of the aliens Dandy has captured or was sure he'd make good money off of

Episode 3: boob monster, people have a good idea probably from pictures/tales of people being attacked by one, but most likely very few if any have been captured.

Episode 4: They mistake the alien for something rare because its a zombie and not acting like one normally would, were it healthy they'd probably throw it away or get denied

Episode 5: Same as episode 3, only instead of being killed a lot of hunters/scientist were probably impacted by their special ability while the alien escaped. Plus iirc the little girl said very few of their race are left which would make them big for hunters/collectors

Episode 6: the two races have been at war for thousands of years and very few (down to one each) remain. It was probably hard to capture/examine any when there were tons more and they were constantly at war plus killing you if you wore undies/tanks

Mature

Is it me or does Dandy look different during
the surfing moment
Dandy looks completely different during
the surfing
part of ep 6, what're you all talking about
Yeah, his hair hit the wave of space dust (or whatever) and he goes full surfer. He looks pretty awesome, haha.
391f00aaef7ac5f84d63656295a523c4.gif

Meier

I really loved the episode with the little girl alien. Very sweet. Haven't seen the most recent one yet, but I think after a fairly weak first episode it's been better. I am still disappointed in general at the animation though -- you'd think a show with a worldwide distribution deal would feel high budget but this of course does not. I think Bebop looks better than this on average.

That gif of the surfing is pretty impressive though.

Crocodile

I really loved the episode with the little girl alien. Very sweet. Haven't seen the most recent one yet, but I think after a fairly weak first episode it's been better. I am still disappointed in general at the animation though -- you'd think a show with a worldwide distribution deal would feel high budget but this of course does not. I think Bebop looks better than this on average.

That gif of the surfing is pretty impressive though.

1337390011838.jpg

You're going to have to explain yourself or get your eyes checked. The animation for this show has been pretty consistently excellent. Bebop was/is a great looking show though, I can't disagree there.

Anyone know if this show is going to run for 26 eps straight or will it be split over two seasons?

From what I've heard its to be split into two seasons of 13 but I'm not 100% sure on that.

JCG

Redline was a full-length film that literally took seven years to make and ran over budget.

Next week's Space Dandy is just going to be a cool space racing episode on a TV-size budget.

And I'm totally on board with that.

TheRancor

Yeah, his hair hit the wave of space dust (or whatever) and he goes full surfer. He looks pretty awesome, haha.
391f00aaef7ac5f84d63656295a523c4.gif
Based Hironori Tanaka

Redline was a full-length film that literally took seven years to make and ran over budget.

Next week's Space Dandy is just going to be a cool space racing episode on a TV-size budget.

And I'm totally on board with that.
Yeap, it's not exactly fair to compare a Movie especially one such as Redline to a TV episode but I believe in the Eiji Nakada/Yuriko Chiba animation director combo. To call their skills impoverished is sad :(

So remember all that controversy about the Honey line in episode 1 of Space Dandy... Why was that a controversy again? When this series has clearly established continuity means nothing and when her character has done borderline nothing in half the series why was the guy freaking out again?

FluxWaveZ

So remember all that controversy about the Honey line in episode 1 of Space Dandy... Why was that a controversy again? When this series has clearly established continuity means nothing and when her character has done borderline nothing in half the series why was the guy freaking out again?

Yeah, weird thinking back on that now. Unless the format of the show changes rather significantly later on and/or she starts appearing throughout the show a bunch, I wouldn't think subtle dialogue implications regarding who she is would matter much.

Gazoinks

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Weird looking back.

Branduil

The extremely impoverished man's version of Redline. Like, on the verge of dying from hunger and sleeping under a pile of old newspapers poor.

I think I'll be rewatching Redline soon.

I dunno, it would be pretty easy to write a better race story than the one in Redline. Like, maybe this one will involve actually racing.

Mature

If it's two cour, we still have plenty of episodes left for that to be an important aspect of her character. Bahi clearly knew something we didn't regarding her character.

duckroll

If it's two cour, we still have plenty of episodes left for that to be an important aspect of her character. Bahi clearly knew something we didn't regarding her character.

I wouldn't give Bahi that much benefit of the doubt. He talks without thinking a lot. There's a reason why more than half his tweets get deleted after he makes them. He doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. :p

Just watched all 6 episodes in one go. On one hand the rather standalone and episodic nature of the show gives you little to be invested in, (I was hoping they'd go for a little bit of a overarching mytharc as to why Dandy's being pursued across the universe) but on the other hand there's quite a bit to enjoy while the ride lasts in each episode. Visually. Aurally.

As always, leave it to the Japanese animators to indulge in the excesses that their Western counterparts can only ever dream to partake in. Some episodes more so than others. Lastly, judging by the quite a few of the responses in this thread, the "boobies" theme they've got going for it has definitely been a turn off for many. I've just accepted it as part and parcel of the medium.

Don't know why people compare this with series with Cowboy Bebop just because of the people behind it. If anything it's more like Outlaw Star.

Jacob

I had fallen behind so I watched the last two episodes back to back. They were pretty fun, I enjoyed them more than the first three, but it's not the sort of show that leaves a lasting impression on me.

I'm enjoying the show. Great creature designs and animation. Nice show to just look at and have a laugh or two. People want to compare it to CB which is unfortunate because it's clear the show is trying something different.

Why do we keep trying to put Dandy in a box and compare it to something else? Dandy is Dandy, even though the show is seriously flawed I can say I haven't really seen anything like it.

Tizoc

Dunno about some of you guys but after watching the first 2 eps I am still loving this show. I like that (atm) it's light hearted and just adventures in space.
Dandy is a freakin' fountain of wisdom.

when is this series supposed to end?

I'm considering doing a research paper on Watanabe this semester at college and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to see all of this before summer

Categorization is a basic human impulse.

My point was that Dandy is something we haven't seen before. Instead of comparing every episode to Bebop or Champloo maybe we should accept that the show is forging it's own unique identity and judge it accordingly.

when is this series supposed to end?

I'm considering doing a research paper on Watanabe this semester at college and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to see all of this before summer

I believe there's been 13 confirmed episodes and a second season might follow at a later undisclosed date.

Space Dandy No. 7

Bishie Sparkles.
Plant Man With Big Tits.
Exhibitionist Alien Gibberish.
Mickey
Mouse. Redline.
Love.
The Fountain.

10/10 AOTY

Space Dandy - Episode 7

Once again, the ending was the best part. This episode was more action then comedy, but still great. Someone might need to help Dandy with his tactics next time. How do we get ahead of everyone in the race? We
blow up all the ships to get a speed boost from the explosion
of course. Yup, nothing can go wrong there.

Great episode, probably my second favorite so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom