• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

RF91Qjt.jpg

Dandy toy.

Voliko

The worst episode yet. The premise of the episode has been done to death and it wasn't even done well imo. The last part when the song kicked in had me groaning, it felt so random. I can deal with no continuity, but it has got to be better than this.

When you look at it objectively, the first and final parts of the episode don't really fit together with the middle part. Two different episodes mashed together. Like a spicy tortilla shell around a hunk of fried chicken.

The middle was fine on its own, but the beginning and end should have been a different episode.

I think this was the weakest episode so far, worse than the randomness of the first episode, which at least had a sense of progression.

Pappasman

The end sequence was very cool but the episode as a whole was another stinker :(

3 good episodes and 3 bad ones so far. Dandy is inconsistent.

ZoddGutts

You guys are kidding yourself if you think people are disappointed in this series because it's episodic. It's just been very inconsistent. I enjoyed the previous ep even though it felt a bit rushed, Dandy's character was tolerable for once.

Levyne

Banned
You guys are kidding yourself if you think people are disappointed in this series because it's episodic. It's just been very inconsistent. I enjoyed the previous ep even though it felt a bit rushed, Dandy's character was tolerable for once.

Hmm, I think a few people have made it clear that a major reason they are disappointed is because it is episodic, though clearly those people can also be disappointed for other reasons, and other people can be disappointed for their own reasons.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

when people are complaining that there isn't an ongoing story arc, then yes that's probably why they're disappointed

Crocodile

Episode 6

I did think this was on the weaker end but it was still a fun romp and the final sequence was just breathtaking. I enjoyed myself. It's rare to see animators just having so much fun (as far as I can tell) on their work for a TV series especially on the Japanese side where budgets tend to be smaller.

you would say that Moaradin

I think most people would say that, or at least that's the general impression I got. Episode was straight up godlike IMO

Some people have straight up said that the lack on continuity upsets them which I feel is a pretty nonsensical complaint. Granted that's something that you see more in American animation than Japanese animation so maybe those who watch a lot of Japanese cartoons are less used to those sorts of things?

Of course I'm not trying to sweep any other complaints, with various merits and strengths IMO, under the rug. Just trying to clarify. The fact that the show has such a different team working on each episode means you're going to get some divisive opinions.

Dresden

Six was good. This is the kind of nonsense I can get behind (and as nonsenses go, this was one of the more grounded episodes so far).

This episode just seemed off. Like they were trying to set-up something big but it never happened. The alien's Engrish was pretty amusing though.

Looking forward to the Redline episode next week.

This episode just seemed off. Like they were trying to set-up something big but it never happened. The alien's Engrish was pretty amusing though.

Looking forward to the Redline episode next week.

Very much happened. The aliens long-standing war that began for reasons they've grown to forget ends with them being unable to come to terms with a treaty involving swapping clothes. Their final fight ended with them taken themselves out and invoking nuclear missiles as their final solution. I saw that as a parable for many of the wars ongoing and the people that get caught up in them as Dandy and Meow eventually did.

Space Dandy got to ride that big wave on his surfboard that he had only dreamed off. And QT, a "he" according to Meow, got some payback on the two of them who have abandoned her behind in the past.

duckroll

I enjoyed this episode as much as I can enjoy something totally dumb I think. The execution worked really well, it was just incredibly stupid, and aware of that. Last week's episode had a better story, and the zombie episode had better humor, but I think this episode nails the premise of the show itself. It's pure dumb fun without being offensive or boring. The music was rad too.

5 > 4 > 6 >> 2 >>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 for me so far.

Mature

Episode six was a lot of fun. It was really silly, but it had enough funny moments throughout to keep me entertained. Dandy looking like a surfer in space was amazing.

Instro

I enjoyed this episode as much as I can enjoy something totally dumb I think. The execution worked really well, it was just incredibly stupid, and aware of that. Last week's episode had a better story, and the zombie episode had better humor, but I think this episode nails the premise of the show itself. It's pure dumb fun without being offensive or boring. The music was rad too.

5 > 4 > 6 >> 2 >>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 for me so far.

Pretty much agree with that ranking. Very much looking forward to 8 and 10(love me a good time loop episode).

While not really digging ep6, I would be remiss if I didn't give props to the voice-actors for nailing the goofy alien-speak.

5, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6 is what I'd order it as personally for now. I am fully aware that ep3 is like ep6 in being divisively silly, but that one I liked.

6 was more along the lines of what I originally expected from the show. Although it was total nonsense, I thought it was fun and I loved the ending sequence. Episodes like this would have made a decent baseline for the show to go up from.

Seeing how controversial this series is, it will probably end up at least in the top 3 anime of 2014.

The more popular a show is equals both a higher amount of divergent opinions, and a higher total of people who will vote for it because they watched it. Think Avatar by James Cameron. (also being one of the few anime that have their own thread makes it more popular here in Gaf)

tarheel91

Not your fault, but this translation annoys me. He adds a -yo on the end of his sentence that is like an emphasis/speech style sort of thing. Baby is such a weird translation of it. It's like Naruto's "believe it" stuff in the dub. The way he sounds is more than enough to clue you in on his character without adding some bullshit "baby."

Enjoyed last night's episode the plot was so ridiculous in a good way.
lol at the aliens killing themselves trying to throw boulders at each other

SD-Ness

Pretty boring episode. The music and animation are great. I could watch it without the dialogue...

Any word on how this show is being received in Japan?

Also how was Watanabe's third show? Forget the name...

Regiruler

Not your fault, but this translation annoys me. He adds a -yo on the end of his sentence that is like an emphasis/speech style sort of thing. Baby is such a weird translation of it. It's like Naruto's "believe it" stuff in the dub. The way he sounds is more than enough to clue you in on his character without adding some bullshit "baby."

Well "yo" would make him sound like he came fresh out of Jet Set Radio.
Is it me or does Dandy look different during
the surfing moment
Other than the fact that he's
glowing like he ingested a metric ton of uranium
, not really.

The worst episode yet. The premise of the episode has been done to death and it wasn't even done well imo. The last part when the song kicked in had me groaning, it felt so random. I can deal with no continuity, but it has got to be better than this.
Haven't seen the ep yet, but maybe in a couple of days. Had to quote you for the Key The Metal Idol avatar tho. Awesome show, that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
That final surfing scene it so damn bonker and random.

Next episode. Space Dandy goes Redline!

Pretty boring episode. The music and animation are great. I could watch it without the dialogue...

Any word on how this show is being received in Japan?

Also how was Watanabe's third show? Forget the name...

Kids on the slope? It's a manga adaptation that win an award. The drama part is okay, though they cut lot of important scene from the manga due to limited episode. The music on the other hand, is very well done, especially if you love jazz.

Zabuza

Banned
Loved this episode like all the others. I guess this is just an anime I can get behind, especially after watching more serious shows prior to this.

I enjoy the music and the characters and the episodic format. I dunno, this series just makes me happy. I can see why some wouldn't like it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom