• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

I liked this episode...I think.

I guess it had a decent balance of humor and action while managing to have a relatively easy to follow narrative and fairly interesting side characters. The increasing intensity of the race also served the crazy ending pretty well. I can't really think of any major complaints aside from feeling like the pacing of the race was kinda off as it seemed like they were randomly skipping checkpoints in the race (maybe I just wasn't following closely enough), so I'm happy with it.

Also, *gasp* a continuity nod in the opening minutes?!?! Absurd!

... I still can't get over how much
they blew themselves up
, and how often it worked

Also, the last one was so much like
the ending to the Redline race, sans the Dandy Time Travel.

It even had
the LOVE!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
iGWKvni4Q0I9R.gif

free love is too tame for him

kirblar

Was smiling the whole time and started lauging my ass off at the ridiculous ending. Zombie second half still the best overall sequence, but this is the best ep. Loved them just including/skewering every race trope they possibly could.

duckroll

Goddamn, the end of the episode. Lolololol.

That wasn't quite Redline, but it was really fun in its own dandy sort of way. Didn't really dig the English voices for the guest characters this week though. There are some pretty cool guest stars on the Japanese version, so I'm looking forward to watching that later. The explosions and mechanical animation were definitely the highlight. :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
that was insane

this show clearly doesn't give a fuck

this was one of the funnier episodes, imo

Can someone please confirm this for me or correct me if I'm mistaken, but when we first started hearing rumors of this show, was it said that Watanabe was working on two shows actually? One more serious and one very comedic?

If that's the case, is there anything known about this other show yet?

Can someone please confirm this for me or correct me if I'm mistaken, but when we first started hearing rumors of this show, was it said that Watanabe was working on two shows actually? One more serious and one very comedic?

If that's the case, is there anything known about this other show yet?

Yes, Watanabe is directing a serious show at the studio MAPPA, scheduled to air later this year. That's all we know for now.

jett

D-Member
I'm getting a bit tired of the whole over the top and irreverent angle of the show, which I liked at first but now I'm not too big on, for some reason. Right now, this show is several long-ass steps behind Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Anime is not saved. As far as animation quality goes, this episode was nice enough.

Lol that was so dumb but so great. That ending and the "love" bit was just...perfectly absurd.

But, despite it all seeming super left-field, the entire episode felt like a perfect homage to Redline.

I'm getting a bit tired of the whole over the top and irreverent angle of the show, which I liked at first but now I'm not too big on, for some reason. Right now, this show is several long-ass steps behind Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Anime is not saved. As far as animation quality goes, this episode was nice enough.

It's more saved then it was before Dandy aired

JCG

I feel like this episode was chock full of references and I only got half of them.

Yes, that's one way to put it.

Space Dandy - 7

Man, that was pretty funny and rather energetic. Even the whole ending sequence was just WTF in the right way.

Definitely very silly, to say least, but that's expected when you're combining the likes of Redline and Wacky Races.

Having quite a few moments of nice mechanical animation during the actual race didn't hurt either.

I also liked how there's a bunch of Taniguchi quirks in it too (aside from one obvious Code Geass reference).

Kyuur

Space Dandy 7

Definitely the worst episode so far. Pretty boring other than the love bit and the craziness towards the end. And the annoying 'commercial breaks'. The only episode so far I really haven't enjoyed.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The best thing about this show is that it gives zero fucks about anything. The people behind this do what they please. Whatever they find amusing, touching, cool, or artistic, is what they put into this show. And if people like it, so be it. And if people don't like it, so be it.

Well I definitely fucking like it.

I can easily understand people being put off by this type of thing though, seeing as it's clearly abnormal and against conventional rules. Or simply just isn't what people expected.

Here's what I wrote about the latest Dandy episode in the toonami thread:

I'm a sucker for mechs and sparkles, what can I say. This is my second favorite episode of Dandy so far ranking just behind episode 4's zombie outbreak. It was zany and made no sense but I had a blast watching and laughed at quite a few jokes. My girlfriend said 'this show is dumb' after the first 'boobie' joke but ended up enjoying the show once they started racing. Looks like Dandy has a new fan.

Acrylic7

Yeah this episode is the worst so far.
Not understanding the love for this one, and the ending pretty much ate up 3 minutes off of the episode :/

Grakl

Yeah this episode is the worst so far.
Not understanding the love for this one, and the ending pretty much ate up 3 minutes off of the episode :/

And I don't understand how people say it's the worst episode, considering it's the only consistently funny one. The ending was hilarious, as well.

Ezalc

Best episode so far just because it's basically Redline with spaceships. Just reminds me that we need more racing anime :/.

Nah, this is objectively the best episode thus far.

I don't think it's fair to say that this is the best episode and rationalize that claim soley on the belief that it's consistently funny throughout. If you thought the plot was superior to anything we've seen or the animation was amazing, and made a well thought out argument then yeah, I could see your point. However, comedy is subjective, not something that can be measured. What appeals to you might not to another person.

For example, some people find the 'boobie' jokes to be hilarious while others roll their eyes. You can't say one person is right and the other is wrong in that situation, no comedy has universal appeal, ya know?

I watched this again today. The masked racer crashes and before his boobie mobile crashes, he hits the brakes and a fluid, probably milk squirts out of "the nipple."

duckroll

I watched this again today. The masked racer crashes and before his boobie mobile crashes, he hits the brakes and a fluid, probably milk squirts out of "the nipple."

I think it's supposed to be a penis, which starts blasting off in stages, until he realized that he boosted too soon, and that was a premature ejaculation before he blew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom