• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRancor

How nice of them to give Dr. Gel some attention and gags. I enjoyed the episode despite the narrative feeling a little unbalanced and liked a bunch of the jokes. Character animation of the crew scrambling around was fun to watch.

DarkKyo

Is the show on a break now? I didn't see a preview for next week's episode.

They didn't show one last night on Toonami, but there is indeed a preview for the next episode. It looks like it has really interesting/unique art. Also Dr. Gel narrates the preview this time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There was, however, a picture of zombified Myau for a brief second.

ibbQnmNYp5i6hG.gif

Chris R

NO, we've pestered Toonami & Funimation too much to give up the original opening.

You mean the original opening we gave up for the last episode? I'll just queue it up in Youtube and mute the TV. If I wanted the Japanese opening I'd watch the episode in Japanese :(

Almighty

Well the series has been on an upswing for me. The last few episodes got a few chuckles out of me. Overall the series is about as good as I was hoping.

Mature

My mind is blown by people who prefer the slapdash Funimation intro, haha. It's thirty seconds of recycled footage from the first episode with a song (albeit, good one) clearly not tailored for it.

My mind is blown by people who prefer the slapdash Funimation intro, haha. It's thirty seconds of recycled footage from the first episode with a song (albeit, good one) clearly not tailored for it.

They changed it = RUINED FOREVER combined with some kind of nostalgia and ignorance that we had a "slapdash" version is probably why people are upset. People who don't want Vida Namida would be like people wanting Bebop or Evangelion to have an American OP it's just wrong

Seda

Or maybe they might just not like the Japanese opening? Nah couldn't be.

I prefer the Japanese opening though, but I like the FUNimation ending - due to the music track used.

Crocodile

Wow, I loved this week's episode. It felt right out of a strange tales scifi pulp magazine, which is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping there would be more of in this series when it was announced. The way the narrative was put together was pretty clever and neat too. I'll say it's up there as my favorite episode of the series so far. I really liked episode 5 too, but the way the different elements here were put together felt tighter and more cohesive. The character animation and color palette was great too.

Man this show is just random crap.

Reading reactions to Space Dandy episodes is fun :)

Chris R

I like it because it was the thing in front of the other episodes. If the JPN one was there from the get go I wouldn't care at all, but to change stuff mid-season is bad form.

Crocodile

Ep.9 Promo is up.

Looks like this will be the first episode that has a pretty radically different aesthetic. You can definitely tell this guy's pedigree is Yuasa. Cannot wait.

*One Week from today*

"Man what happened to the art, was this done by the B team?"

"Where'd the animation go?"

"Who approved this shit?"

"Ugh so bad, I guess the budget ran out!"

:/
:(
>_<

Grakl

*One Week from today*

>_<

you do a great job of channeling firemind one week from now

Mature

*One Week from today*

>_<
Considering the Kick-Heart complaints, I already know that's coming.

Fjordson

I'm a few weeks behind, just saw the underwear vs. vestians episode. Was okay overall, but that final sequence was pretty great. And that song that played when they were surfing was kick ass. Does anyone know what that was?

edit: nevermind, duckroll posted it I think: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HPTXFTW/

Hmm, wonder if I can buy that with an American account.

Finally got onto this. Awesome so far, loving it!
Only complaint, Meow is kind of a dud as a cast member. Other than that, great so far, ep 3 completely sold me with that dumb hawian mech, lol.
Can't wait to get back to it...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Another extremely enjoyable episode for me.

Shit had everything

Feels
bebop references
Robots in Hawaiian shirts
Philosophy "Asses are not to be seen, but felt."
Dr. Gel
Great animation and art
A proper intro

I'm really enjoying this show more than I thought I would.

Fjordson

I'm a few weeks behind, just saw the underwear vs. vestians episode. Was okay overall, but that final sequence was pretty great. And that song that played when they were surfing was kick ass. Does anyone know what that was?

edit: nevermind, duckroll posted it I think: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HPTXFTW/

Hmm, wonder if I can buy that with an American account.
Looks like I can't. Anyone know how I could find this here in the States? Like a digital download somewhere.

redhood56

Banned
I finally caught up on this weeks episode, and I thought it was good. It had a sad first half, but a crazy second half. It was really bizarre, but enjoyable!!

Gorillaz

So I finally caught up with all 8 (?) episodes. Watched the dub, here were my quick notes

The show doesn't always hit the humor bits well, but it's still enjoyable for what it is and what it's trying to achieve.

I like Dandy, I like the cat (he's pretty good to bounce off of) and QT isn't bad, a little whiny at times, but it works. In fact, they all bounce off each other well.

Coming back to the "feel" of the show, at times tho the setup for humor feels too goofy or tryhard making the execution sloppy. I feel like their semi serious episodes are the best made ones, which in my opinion, the road trip one with the little girl was by far my favorite.

Probably been said many times but the animation is really something else. That surfer section at the end of episode 6(?) was one of the best scenes in the show if not the best in my opinion. Music gelled real well with it. Rewatched the scene a few times afterwards.

Oh yea, I'm tired of hearing about BooBies, I guess it was meant to be the equivalent of a Hooters? It's starting to run a little thin

Being that I've been out of the anime loop for years (attack on titan is what brought me back in) is there anything else like this show? People mention Cowboy Bebop? is that like this?

Mature

Being that I've been out of the anime loop for years (attack on titan is what brought me back in) is there anything else like this show? People mention Cowboy Bebop? is that like this?
Nope, it sure isn't. But you should probably have that on the top of your to-watch list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom