• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owari

Ugh. It's really dumb how it only shows new episodes once a week, with no encore either. I missed the last episode and now it seems I am boned.

sonicmj1

W97kPmK.gif

Best episode yet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Somehow falls behind Redline thematically and emotionally.

duckroll

Ah, so there are going to be two seasons? When is the second episode slated to air?

We don't know for sure yet. Previously I was under the impression that it would start in Summer, since split seasons for anime usually just take a one term break between. But they announced a couple of new fan events in Japan for the show recently, with one of them being a talk event with the cast where they will screen an advance episode, or episodes. That event takes place at the end of July, which would be after the Summer season starts.

So either they're showing episode(s) from later in the second season (which would be unusual), or the second season will start later this year in Fall. One possibility could be that Adult Swim is waiting on production of all the episodes of a season to be completed before broadcasting, which would make the dubbing schedule better, since it's rushed right now as it is.

pirata

We don't know for sure yet. Previously I was under the impression that it would start in Summer, since split seasons for anime usually just take a one term break between. But they announced a couple of new fan events in Japan for the show recently, with one of them being a talk event with the cast where they will screen an advance episode, or episodes. That event takes place at the end of July, which would be after the Summer season starts.

So either they're showing episode(s) from later in the second season (which would be unusual), or the second season will start later this year in Fall. One possibility could be that Adult Swim is waiting on production of all the episodes of a season to be completed before broadcasting, which would make the dubbing schedule better, since it's rushed right now as it is.

I was under the impression that when they first announced the show, they only planned on making 13 episodes, with more to come if the show was popular. Perhaps the second set of episodes might not have gotten off the ground until quite a bit later on, necessitating a somewhat longer-than-normal break to work on them? Does that make any sense? I'm not as knowledgeable about animation production as some people on GAF are.

papercamm

Man that's kind of a bummer. I was hoping I'd have Dandy for a few months at least.

duckroll

I was under the impression that when they first announced the show, they only planned on making 13 episodes, with more to come if the show was popular. Perhaps the second set of episodes might not have gotten off the ground until quite a bit later on, necessitating a somewhat longer-than-normal break to work on them? Does that make any sense? I'm not as knowledgeable about animation production as some people on GAF are.

Yes I think it's likely that is exactly what happened. I'm sure they were already in negotiations while in production, so they probably had a plan in place for more episodes when required, but the production on those would not have started until they were greenlighted. Another factor would be that the studio making Space Dandy also has a lot on their plate this year, so if they have to take longer, it might simply be a matter of resources.

pirata

Yes I think it's likely that is exactly what happened. I'm sure they were already in negotiations while in production, so they probably had a plan in place for more episodes when required, but the production on those would not have started until they were greenlighted. Another factor would be that the studio making Space Dandy also has a lot on their plate this year, so if they have to take longer, it might simply be a matter of resources.

Sorry for the tangent, but what else is BONES working on these days, anyway? Is there actually any hope of them going back to Soul Eater a la Brotherhood? I've heard some talk about a "Soul Eater NOT" or something like that, though I don't really know what it is, other than that it's not what anyone wants it to be. I guess that shows that the property is still important to them...right?

duckroll

Sorry for the tangent, but what else is BONES working on these days, anyway? Is there actually any hope of them going back to Soul Eater a la Brotherhood? I've heard some talk about a "Soul Eater NOT" or something like that, though I don't really know what it is, other than that it's not what anyone wants it to be. I guess that shows that the property is still important to them...right?

This season they have Space Dandy (original) and Noragami (manga adaptation). In Spring they have Captain Earth (original from the Star Driver team), Chaika (light novel adaptation), and Soul Eater Not (manga adaptation). When it comes to adaptations, I don't think the ball is entirely in an animation studio's court. There are other stakeholders involved. I don't think a Soul Eater "Brotherhood" is really on the cards, but who knows.

I'm not sure if Soul Eater Not doing well or poorly helps or hurts the chances of a Soul Eater Brotherhood/Final Act/Resonance or whatever they would call it. I feel like that re airing in Japan was there attempt to pull off such a stunt and I was under the impression the repeat didn't do that well either. It's a shame because SE has been really popular on Toonami and the dub has been fantastic.

A Fall date for Dandy S2 would make sense because it would allow Toonami/Adult Swim to air a 25-26 episode anime in the 11:30 slot (probably Attack on Titan) and be able to premier or simulair Dandy S2 once it's ready to go.

de32de32

Neo Member
Just curious. I have a hard time rooting for the lead. IMO he's more like a Zap Brannigan with just as few redeeming qualities. For those that like this series is this a problem for you, you have no problem rooting for this antihero, his characteristics don't impact your enjoyment of the series, or his actions make the series more enjoyable?

DarkKyo

Just curious. I have a hard time rooting for the lead. IMO he's more like a Zap Brannigan with just as few redeeming qualities. For those that like this series is this a problem for you, you have no problem rooting for this antihero, his characteristics don't impact your enjoyment of the series, or his actions make the series more enjoyable?

He's a little bit softer/less callous and mean than Zapp, I think. If anything he reminds me of Andy from Bebop, though with more of an iron will. He's cocky as hell and kind of a simpleton but he does seem to have a good heart, unlike Zapp.

Really enjoyed this last episode really like how they gave the group a unified threat and it was generally funny how many different plans Dandy had to win.

Uhhh, was the ending to the race episode supposed to mean something? Or was it just supposed to be weird for the sake of being weird?

... Oh wait. I'm watching space dandy. I forgot. Lol. It was an interesting episode. The humor didn't really click with me much this time, though. I liked dandies zany tactics to get in the lead.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody know if the Amazon Instant versions of Space Dandy have the Japanese OP/ED pair? Or at least one of them (Amazon has both sub and dub)?

Was that the last episode for the season?

Also, what happened to Japanese ending too?

Edit: oh not over. I guess they ran out of time for the preview, or something.

Levyne

Banned
Was that the last episode for the season?

Also, what happened to Japanese ending too?

Toonami's never shown the japanese ending, guess it wasn't in the cards.

Episode was a bit of fun, but rather they stuck with the dog plot thread, built up something between PUP and meow, something like that.

Branduil

Space Dandy 8

So basically, the writer finished the story of this episode in only 12 minutes, realized they still had half an episode left to write, and just sort of winged it, LOL. Very narratively unfocused, even by the standards of this show.

Space Dandy - Episode 8

It wasn't the best episode, but I thought it was at least better then the underpants vs vests episode. I think the big pull for this episode was mostly seeing Dandy and his crew interact with each other. Except for the whole
fleas trying to destroy them part
, that's what the episode was mostly showing. While the underpants episode had more how do I say, imagination to it. I just liked this one better for some reason, even if it wasn't as imaginative a narrative as the other.

So that's why I thought it was at least better then the underpants episode. Also, I guess Dandy is pretty smart? He
built a rocket ship out a bunch of trash
. Can't say I'd be able to do that, even if it was the year 5000 (or whatever year this is in).

My favorite parts of the episode, was a lot of Dandy's quotes, when Dandy was
reminiscing about the girls he like and ignored the receptionist women, and the dog part for the feels

DarkKyo

If Dr. Gel
doesn't come back next episode that might confirm the multi verse theory seeing how its the only episode so far where Dandy and his crew survived together and Dr. Gel did not

Edit: I also noticed
it said "To be continued..." instead of "THE END" like last episode, possibly another hint at multiverse because the last episode where Dandy ends up on a barren planet in the distant future is THE END of that Dandy, where as this one continues on into the next episode

Spandy 8

Neat episode. Kind of a really cheesy first half. The jokes were really good this episode. The animation was also very creative.

As for the airing changes:
+JP intro!
-Same Outro
-No quirky next episode preview. Probably JP dub and Blu Ray exclusive now

They Changed It, Now It Sucks

Levyne

Banned
I love the music in the english outro, so that's good enough for me, even if it is just show footage.

Be neat if they could still keep the preview, but can live without it.

JCG

Space Dandy - 8

It was okay, but nothing too special.

And even though I had already checked it out...seeing the Japanese OP was great.

The jokes varied from just right to somehow trying too hard to be cartoony for my taste.

I definitely felt the dog stuff was surprisingly underwhelming though. It needed a lot more time.

That said, Dr. Gel had some nice scenes, which is a plus.

Levyne

Banned
So everyone is watching this on toonami right?

No place that does live cast online?

Adult swims website for dub (cable sub needed). Funimation should have it for the sub though that comes a tiny bit later for each episode i think.

Nerokis

I saw episode 7 earlier, and thought it was very good. 5-7 certainly solidified my love for this series. However, although I found 8 charming, I didn't think it was as well executed as those three. In fact, I think this might have been my least favorite episode so far. I didn't enjoy it much aesthetically, the progression of the episode felt somewhat flat, and the dub wasn't as spot on as 6's.

I did enjoy the satellite dog premise, though.

addik

I just wanted to say, I haven't watched anime in a long time. A few weeks back, while channel surfing, this was shown in Animax (it was the ramen episode). I LOVED it.

Then last night, I chanced upon it again and caught the racing episode I was laughing all through out. I'll definitely check this out. Hopefully, Animax will have a marathon soon so I can catch up on episodes missed.

faridmon

This season they have Space Dandy (original) and Noragami (manga adaptation). In Spring they have Captain Earth (original from the Star Driver team), Chaika (light novel adaptation), and Soul Eater Not (manga adaptation). When it comes to adaptations, I don't think the ball is entirely in an animation studio's court. There are other stakeholders involved. I don't think a Soul Eater "Brotherhood" is really on the cards, but who knows.

How the mighty have fallen. Especially when they have the Star Driver team doing another show.

kirblar

This one felt like it was almost trying for deconstruction, re-arranging the narrative/emotional beats into something alien and bizarre.

This episode was the funniest of them so far. I'm going to watch it again right now because I was laughing so much the first time through. I had no idea this would be a great space comedy with worthwhile dramatic elements mixed in.

Mature

This episode as a whole was a bit uneven and all over the place, but the singular beats of the story were hysterical and amazing. I think Nobumoto likes the frantic scrambling around sight gags; I seem to remember Tokyo Godfathers having it in spades, as well as the Bebop episode Cowboy Funk.

It's hard to say, but I think my favorite gag of this episode was Dr. Gel's "tracking radar".

Nerokis

Unlike the zombie episode, this one just felt poorly structured.

That episode somehow slipped my mind! Looking at an episode list for reference, I'd say 1 was a really solid introduction to the series, 2 was also solid, 3 was a low point, 4-7 were all great, and 8 was another low point. However...

This episode was the funniest of them so far. I'm going to watch it again right now because I was laughing so much the first time through. I had no idea this would be a great space comedy with worthwhile dramatic elements mixed in.

...seeing posts like this one, I'm looking forward to watching this episode again. Maybe I just wasn't in a Space Dandy state of mind tonight.

duckroll

Wow, I loved this week's episode. It felt right out of a strange tales scifi pulp magazine, which is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping there would be more of in this series when it was announced. The way the narrative was put together was pretty clever and neat too. I'll say it's up there as my favorite episode of the series so far. I really liked episode 5 too, but the way the different elements here were put together felt tighter and more cohesive. The character animation and color palette was great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom