• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Space Dandy 15

iV7knhULSLpyy.png

+

iZ9gmnsudxPRB.jpg

+

iGLzjgBeKW05d.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Episodes like this are why I watch the show. Was cool to see such an interesting artstyle used.

Almost seemed like it should be on adult swim proper

Ninjimbo

Wasn't feeling it this episode. The animation was baffling me until I saw Yuasa's name in the credits. I don't know why I didn't catch that sooner. There were some cool moments but I couldn't get into it. When Dandy starts getting too weird I usually tune out and that's what happened.

Crocodile

I enjoyed this week's episode more than last week's. I'm actually kind of impressed how they tied the narrative all together. Some of the animation cuts were out of this world too O_O

duckroll

Episode 16

This was -really- good. Probably one of my favorite episodes yet. There's something very complete about it. Everything from the concept to the execution feels really polished. The script is definitely one of the best ones so far in terms of feeling very dense but yet not compromised by the runtime. A lot feels like it happened, and yet it doesn't feel rushed at all. Slow and steady wins the race indeed. :)

I love the art and designs this week too. From the alien food stuff at the start, to the invisible halibut, to the sailing scene (soooo good), all the way to the underground city. Everything felt so alien but yet so.... right. Yuasa really delivered an excellent auteur episode here.

Hamlet

Great episode as with Space dandy they always bring something unique every week and it sure was a Masaaki Yuasa episode
loved just how nonchalant dandy was throughout the entire episode and Meows facial expression were great as usual

SD-Ness

I could watch this show on mute, I think. At this point, I mostly care about the animation, which is fantastic. It's heartening to see people actually caring about style these days.

Nonetheless, compared to Bebop or Steins; Gate, this show's story is kinda lame in my opinion.

I could watch this show on mute, I think. At this point, I mostly care about the animation, which is fantastic. It's heartening to see people actually caring about style these days.

Nonetheless, compared to Bebop or Steins; Gate, this show's story is kinda lame in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the intention of this show is not to have a strong story

dan2026

Why are people forever comparing this to Bebop?
Just why? Other than they are both sci-fi based they are nothing alike.

Anyway...that was a strange place for Ryusei Nakao to pop up.

kirblar

The show literally resets at the beginning of each episode, since the episodes are all taking place in different alternate realities.

If you're looking for a strong narrative, you've come to the wrong place.

Why are people forever comparing this to Bebop?
Just why? Other than they are both sci-fi based they are nothing alike.

Anyway...that was a strange place for Ryusei Nakao to pop up.

Because of the general director being involved. Of course they seem to not understand that every episode has it's own director and style and it was never said to be a completely serious show nor have a continuous plot from episode to episode.

Uhh after the first episode when the entire cast died and came back in the second episode you should have realized this series was not going to be story focused at all

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Really? People are still demanding a story despite the fact the first episode established that there's no continuity? Honestly people...

Ryūsei Nakao, haha. I hadn't heard his voice in years.

He's still around. Recently he was Caesar Clown in One Piece (arc villain).

The Meow twitter page posted some cool QT goodies recently:
EZrgkkF.jpg

T5pMXQt.jpg

The closed eyes QT charm is a limited version, apparently. The other is the one you'll find sold in shops.

Moaradin

Holy shit that might have been my favorite episode yet. It was amazing! The singing was well done and the animation was incredible. All those references too. Can't think of anything I didn't like in this episode.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I love that this show truly does not give a fuck

You get something entirely different from week to week

And it's always crazy

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This... this episode.

Every musical that's ever taken place in high school all at once, and the singing in the dub was pretty damn great. I love that there's no way to predict where this show is really going to go next.

ethanny2

Amazing episode, not only of Space Dandy, but probably the best episode of Anime I have watched in the past 2 years. I mean I thought Space Dandy was okay before this, having a pedigree from Shinichirō Watanabe really made me watch it in the first place (another Cowboy Bebop?!). I sort of expected it to be a fun quirky show with some serious kick-ass fight scenes, similar to Gin-tama in the episodes where Gin gets his Shonen Jump taken away, but what I got was a very non-continuous, one-shot comedy show where each episode contains its own story. I was not a big fan of this at first, but after the start of the second season I decided to take the show for what it was, a pure expression of creativity where each episode has its own unique (sometimes) art style. That being said the jokes were hit and miss for me still, that is up until this episode played. Looking at the preview "Dandy is the New Transfer Student" I though this would be a episode viewing the traditional "anime-high school" setting through a satirical lens, but it was the complete opposite and it set out to parody many of the "American high school" 90's movies and popular culture. Needless to say the episode was great, Dandy is a new transfer student and he obviously wants to get all the chicks, but he is stuck in "lower caste" of the school because of his lack of musical ability (Meow even says he must be feeling "Glee" right now, an obvious reference to the American TV show with the same name). The school is populated with the classic "geeks" (anime-watchers, according to the show) ,jocks(one of them an E.T look-alike) and the one "nerd" girl who is actually pretty (read. Molly Ringwald). Dandy promises to be the prom king (of course it is in a week) so he goes on classic 90's montage complete with a great song (makes me want to buy the OST) and sings about what he knows best, booty. It was a great turn and really cemented what Space Dandy is all about, one-off stories with eclectic characters.

TL;DR Space Dandy is great

Soma

God damn. Season 2 has been on fire.

I never know what to expect from this show but it's been delivering so much in these past several episodes.

I'm gonna have that last song stuck in my head for a week.

Gazoinks

I only just started following this show again after dropping it early on, but man it's really delivering on its potential now. This latest episode was amazing.

remnant

Banned
The animation during that class system dance felt really off....just very mechanical and stiff.Like they stuck way to close to video reference or something.

I would like to see how they animated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom