• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Space Dandy 18

The art in this episode

iS9jIzvA3NeOk.gif

LOL the next episode is going to be amazing.

Soma

I absolutely love that this show can easily go from a ridiculous musical-focused episode like last week's to a more relaxed, atmospheric episode for this week. There's so much variety in the visual direction and episodic plots yet every single episode feels like it's all from the same show. There's really nothing quite like this series right now.

The plot was a little on the weak side for this week's episode but the art direction was just really something special. The people involved with this series really know how to create some very imaginative settings.

Finalow

really, this episode was so damn beautiful.

the plot was similar to the fish episode and nothing particularly exciting but I enjoyed it. little kid was kawaii

duckroll

Episode 18

That was really nice. It's much slower paced and less ambitious in scope than the last few episodes, but since it's a solo episode mostly by one guy, it had a really personal touch to everything from the story tone to the art and animation. Really pleasant in general. Every frame felt really deliberate. Great art, really nice colors, and there was a lot of charm to this fishing planet and the inhabitants.

It's interesting how so far in season 2 of Dandy we've already seen three different episodes use water as a major theme - the river of time in episode 15, the water sprout in episode 16, and now the fishing world in episode 18. In each of these episodes though, the way water is depicted in the art style and the animation employed is completely different too. It's a really great example of how much creative freedom the show offers. :)

Edit: Gonna throw in a selection of shots I really liked in the episode:

For a young guy who hasn't really made a big name for himself, Oshiyama seems to have a really good command of visual narrative and attractive framing. Taking on a whole episode on his own is a pretty big challenge, and I'm glad he managed to make the most of it. It should be a pretty solid part of his portfolio from here on out, and hopefully he'll get more chances to direct stuff in the near future. :)

Finalow

Episode 18

That was really nice. It's much slower paced and less ambitious in scope than the last few episodes, but since it's a solo episode mostly by one guy, it had a really personal touch to everything from the story tone to the art and animation. Really pleasant in general. Every frame felt really deliberate. Great art, really nice colors, and there was a lot of charm to this fishing planet and the inhabitants.
who was it?

TheChits

Kiyotaka Oshiyama wrote, directed, storyboarded, and animated the entire episode. He did all the key animation himself, and he also did all the designs for the guest characters, aliens, and background art designs and setting.

That is pretty damn amazing. Wow

I haven't posted anything in this thread before, but I've been watching this show since it started airing and I absolutely love it. It's the most original and entertaining animated show I've seen in a long time and the art is consistently outstanding no matter how often it changes style.

That said, last night's episode was easily my favorite of the series. The design of the environment and the characters was gorgeous and reminded me in a lot of ways of classic Amano artwork from the early Final Fantasy games. I guess it was the expressive characters or the organic design of the landscapes in the background. The music too, something about it just set this episode apart from all the others. And just like the episode before it, it left me anticipating the next episode even more. As much as I want the series to keep going, I also can't wait for it to finish so I can buy it on Blu-Ray and watch it all over again. There's always tomorrow, baby!

Episode 18

It's interesting how so far in season 2 of Dandy we've already seen three different episodes use water as a major theme - the river of time in episode 15, the water sprout in episode 16, and now the fishing world in episode 18. In each of these episodes though, the way water is depicted in the art style and the animation employed is completely different too. It's a really great example of how much creative freedom the show offers. :)

Edit: Gonna throw in a selection of shots I really liked in the episode:

I agree with everything you said there. Said it better than I would have.

Grakl

Great "serious" episode. Loved the art and the character interactions. Probably my favorite art style compared to the rest of the series.

The art in this episode, specifically the tribal character designs meshing well with the environment where stunning!
Nice and slow atmospheric episode to just relax and watch

Like the Plant world episode

Great episode. Loved the art especially when it was dark and the cool hues were used. The blue comet lighting up the water was outstanding. I was also cracking up at the sounds the boat qt and meow were on made. The japanese voice of qt continues to be really charming too. I couldn't help, but laugh at how qt sounded when discussing fishing.

Pappasman

Just caught up with the musical and the latest fishing episode. I've been floored at how consistenly fantastic this show has been. The first half of SD was very inconsistent but ended on a high note. But ever since its return (would this count as a second season?) its been phenomenal. Every episode has been a major hit for me.

This is probably my favorite anime in years.

Missed the flashlight teleporter episode, 16 or s02e03. Absolutely amazing from start to finish. Just stunning to look at. STUNNING.

This season has been on fire. Just completely loose and doing what the hell they want.

The second half has been a lot stronger than the first so far. It took a few episodes for me to start liking the first, but the second started off strong and has kept it going.

PK Gaming

Episode 18

Dandy's quest for the Unagi is representative of man's desire to acquire pointless bullshit that no one cares about.

muteki

Been some time since I have seen a 2-season show really bring it home like Dandy. There was a stretch there where it wasn't so good, but they have really come back, and I'm glad I stuck with it. Hopefully the remainder is just as good.

Second season has a lot more creative input than the first season at the same point so far. It's pretty unreal to see such quality back to back.

Neoxon

Dandy's JP VA will be voicing Star-Lord in the Japanese dub of Guardians of the Galaxy.

That's prefect casting, if you ask me.

TimmiT

The new episode is probably the worst one yet IMO. Mostly because I hate
fake "laugh tracks" used as a joke, especially when they're used throughout the entire episode.

EDIT: Also:
At the end of his presentation, he [Masahiko Minami] emphasized that he intends to work as closely with his animators as he has up until now. He also announced that BONES will release 3 adaptations as well as one original show in 2015 as well as expressing his wish to produce a Space Dandy movie should the TV series become a success.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-fe...ture-bones-15th-anniversary-panel-at-animagic

YES PLEASE

duckroll

Episode 19

That was a pretty bad episode. It was completely disjointed, the ideas were all executed without any sort of build up or proper pacing, nothing felt natural or engaging. It was just a stream of one random idea after another. It could have been a really good episode too, exploring the "off the job" lives of Honey and Scarlet. Instead it's just a complete unfunny mess, and the annoying laugh track didn't work at all. I'm really disappointed that none of the Nobumoto episodes so far have managed to knock it out of the park, and this one is without a doubt the worst one yet. :/

Oh well, I guess it would be unrealistic to expect season 2 to not have any duds at all considering how season 1 went.

Based on how the episode accurately aped canned laughter that's common in bad CBS comedies that shall go unnamed, I consider referencing thhe zombie episode as a typically callback that you'd hear a character bring up. The show hasn't shyed away from mentioning previous incidents before. All we know is that things reset at some point after, "to be continued."

I loved the episode BTW. Honey might give an outwards appearence of ditziness but she's smart enough to blow out brain scanners and strong enough to defeat a thirsty Dr. Gel. I was having flashbacks to Redline when she was riding here bike in the desert. More to her than meets the eye..

All in all, it was an episode about love and how things don't always work out as planned. They positioned it as a sitcom and I really liked it.

Mature

Episode 19

That was a pretty bad episode. It was completely disjointed, the ideas were all executed without any sort of build up or proper pacing, nothing felt natural or engaging. It was just a stream of one random idea after another. It could have been a really good episode too, exploring the "off the job" lives of Honey and Scarlet. Instead it's just a complete unfunny mess, and the annoying laugh track didn't work at all. I'm really disappointed that none of the Nobumoto episodes so far have managed to knock it out of the park, and this one is without a doubt the worst one yet. :/

Oh well, I guess it would be unrealistic to expect season 2 to not have any duds at all considering how season 1 went.
It's the same boarder and director that worked with her on the Lonely Pooch Planet episode. He doesn't seem particularly... good.

Season 2 has been amazing animation/art wise. There hasn't been a dud this season yet. holy fuck,next episode looks gorgeous too. how is this possible. I haven't seen this type of quality episode to episode since like tetsuwan Birdy.

aechris

I had a hard time because from the preview last week I was expecting Cowboy Andy.

That's always my problem. I expect something so much better than it is.

I love Cowboy Andy.

Finalow

and there you go, Season 2 perfection ruined. bad episode overall, I agree.

It's the same boarder and director that worked with her on the Lonely Pooch Planet episode. He doesn't seem particularly... good.
that episode was pretty good though.

Finalow

I disagree, had no problems with the pacing and I can't really recall much about the direction but I didn't complain.
also it had a really nice story, which wasn't too common in the first season.

Mature

I disagree, had no problems with the pacing and I can't really recall much about the direction but I didn't complain.
also it had a really nice story, which wasn't too common in the first season.
My memory is awful, so i'm only remembering how I felt about it and not why I did. Maybe i'll go back to and it and feel differently.

The problem with the lonely pooch planet episode was the guy made an excellent 10 minute anime about Dandy and co bonding with a dog before it passed away and honoring it's death...... and then they realized "oh crap we have to do another 10 minutes" and added the robo flea plot line that really brought the whole episode down. They'd have been better off making that episode two separate mini episodes ala a show like Spongebob.

The problem with the lonely pooch planet episode was the guy made an excellent 10 minute anime about Dandy and co bonding with a dog before it passed away and honoring it's death...... and then they realized "oh crap we have to do another 10 minutes" and added the robo flea plot line that really brought the whole episode down. They'd have been better off making that episode two separate mini episodes ala a show like Spongebob.

i actually like both parts of the episode (the flea part a little less), but the connection between those two parts is really flimsy and they don't fit very well together. between this episode and the weird skeleton man episode and the dog episode, i think it's safe to say being disjointed is a common theme among the ones written by Keiko Nobumoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom